PDA

View Full Version : New Duty Belt Advice

captdreifus
05-17-19, 04:55
Greetings.

I am looking to purchase a new duty belt and narrowed it down to two belts. I am looking at the Ares and Volund. I’m looking to see if you have a preference either way or if there is another company that has the same style duty belt. I am replacing a Bianchi Accumold nylon that I’ve had for approx. 4 years now. I would like to try a more supportive belt system.

Thanks for your input.

Capt

ggammell
05-17-19, 07:55
If you can get the area 2.5 with the polymer cobra buckle, do that. No need for the weight of the metal if you have the option.

Boy Scout
05-18-19, 02:20
OP, if you have the ability to move away from the traditional 2.25” belt system (due to regs and/or cost), I would strongly recommend it. Since I came out of the tactical team/K9 and went back to the road, I have had to give up my outer vest carrier and lighter (loaded) belt for a full nylon rig. I’ve been back out a year now and my back was a wreck for the first six months or so, until I got a new system dialed in.

I’m now using a 1.75” cobra belt with a HSGI Duty Grip Belt Pad and it has literally saved me a back surgery! For the last ten years while I was tac team/K9, I was able to lighten my load on my belt and up to my vest and change out some standard pouches for lighter weight MOLLE-type and Kydex pouches. As soon as I went back to a Safariland belt, I was damn near bent over in pain for weeks. I straight up told the Chief that I’m wearing my old K9 rig and that he’d have to deal with it or pay for surgery and I had a feeling that I wasn’t coming back to “full duty” afterwards.

All that said, if you can change it up, you ought to look into it. If you’re curious, the First Line Belt thread is a wealth of knowledge and has helped me immensely:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214-First-line-belts&highlight=First+line

I have not used Ares but I do have a Volund g-hook belt and the quality is top notch. HSGI is another good contender as well.

awmp
05-18-19, 10:52
OP let us know what you go with, would be curious to see pictures as well.

tacticaldesire
05-22-19, 09:11
This is what I run at work.

https://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/belts/products/2-cobra-duty-belt

Regular buckle

https://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/belts/products/duty-belt

It's very stiff and has been rock solid. It also replaced the Bianchi for me. Can't go wrong with the brands you mentioned either.

J_B
05-23-19, 01:42
Ran the Gen1 Ares LE duty belt for some years before I switched to the Gen2. I ran the Gen1 in regular patrol and moved to K9. Once there, after a year I went to their Gen2 belt. No real differences felt except it was a new duty belt that quickly got dirty and covered in dog hair etc.

The only issue I had/have with the Gen2 is I had a really hard time getting a S&S Holster Extender GRT on the belt. I couldn’t get it on and since I did not want to go Safariland DFA as I hate those I stuck with mid drop UBL.

Bodhi
05-24-19, 00:16
esstac belt is good. I want to try the lead devil belt next

captdreifus
05-24-19, 01:08
I’m leaning towards the Volund for now. Will post before and after once I get the belts.