PDA

View Full Version : M4A1 SOCOM 6920 2019 Models from Charlies' Custom Clones

Prestonshooting
05-20-19, 17:53
Trying to find my way through a lot of detail and information that is new to me. I'd appreciate any comments that might help me sort through buying "as close to the real thing" commercially built M4A1 and I am looking at the M4A1 SOCOM 6920 that Charlies' Custom Clones is selling. From what I've read, so far, it appears these are pretty much identical to the "real thing" short of, of course, select-fire an the flash hider pinned on the 14.5" barrel to get it out of NFA territory. I'm not interested in trying to "build" on for myself, but would prefer simply to buy it as is.

Is my understanding correct of what this rifle is/is not? Charlies' Custom Clones GTG?

Thanks.

kirkland
05-20-19, 17:58
They are GTG

Ftrinida1
05-20-19, 18:17
The "property of US government" marked receiver is what you want. It was listed on their website as the 2018 release when I bought mine. It's also on Arms Unlimited for 1400. It'll have the Socom profile pinned A2 barrel, Colt ambi safety, KAC ris/foregrip, and Matech rear sight. Mine did not have an "F" marked front sight post, just a regular one but not a big deal for me. Upper was cage coded and square forge marking and not "C" marked which may not be desirable for some but it's still Colt. The BCG was also not C marked but was chrome lined like the barrel. Here it is after a few mods.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190520/bfc507417b5e73f2cda6785e121d903d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ftrinida1
05-20-19, 18:23
Trying to find my way through a lot of detail and information that is new to me. I'd appreciate any comments that might help me sort through buying "as close to the real thing" commercially built M4A1 and I am looking at the M4A1 SOCOM 6920 that Charlies' Custom Clones is selling. From what I've read, so far, it appears these are pretty much identical to the "real thing" short of, of course, select-fire an the flash hider pinned on the 14.5" barrel to get it out of NFA territory. I'm not interested in trying to "build" on for myself, but would prefer simply to buy it as is.

Is my understanding correct of what this rifle is/is not? Charlies' Custom Clones GTG?

Thanks.I failed to see 2019 on the title. At least you know a little bit about the 2018 model now.

Prestonshooting
05-20-19, 18:27
Thanks for your input on this. I should have put the link to the precise rifle I was asking about. Here it is. (https://charliescustomclones.com/colt-m4a1-socom-carbine-rifle-2018-2019-14-5-pinned-barrel/)

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k5jq3j85wp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/402/3897/LE6920SOCOM-LEFT__49047.1557542677.JPG?c=2&imbypass=on

Ftrinida1
05-20-19, 18:32
Thanks for your input on this. I should have put the link to the precise rifle I was asking about. Here it is. (https://charliescustomclones.com/colt-m4a1-socom-carbine-rifle-2018-2019-14-5-pinned-barrel/)

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k5jq3j85wp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/402/3897/LE6920SOCOM-LEFT__49047.1557542677.JPG?c=2&imbypass=onI just checked out that link. It appears to be identical to the 2018 model I got from them according to the description.

Prestonshooting
05-20-19, 18:37
I just checked out that link. It appears to be identical to the 2018 model I got from them according to the description.

That's my understanding also. Again, thanks.

Pappabear
05-20-19, 19:23
This stupid thread makes me want one. And oh boy don't I need one. NOT

PB

arptsprt
05-20-19, 19:49
PB,

Why fight it? I said the exact same thing last September and, well, guess what’s sitting in my safe?

This stupid thread makes me want one. And oh boy don't I need one. NOT

PB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MistoGators
05-21-19, 00:15

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k5jq3j85wp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/402/3897/LE6920SOCOM-LEFT__49047.1557542677.JPG?c=2&imbypass=on
Something's off with the FH. It looks longer than a BCM A2X.
I think you'd be better off getting the BCM SOCOM 14.5 upper with an Aero M4A1 lower.

Ftrinida1
05-21-19, 00:20
I think you'd be better off getting the BCM SOCOM 14.5 upper with an Aero M4A1 lower.It's pinned on so it's a lengthened version of the A2 to make sure it is over 16". I was able to remove it pretty easily without damaging the threads after form 1 approval.

MistoGators
05-21-19, 00:22
It's pinned on so it's a lengthened version of the A2 to make sure it is over 16". I was able to remove it pretty easily without damaging the threads after form 1 approval.

I know, but it looks longer than a typical A2X.

arptsprt
05-21-19, 05:47
Is this your attempt at sarcasm/humor?A BCM upper and AERO lower when we’re talking about a true COLT M4A1 CLONE? Maybe go back and read the OP’s original post.

A little education for you, a Colt pinned FH is not a BCM A2X FH. So, obviously, as such, they would be different, yes? The pinned Colt FH is a different style and about 1/4 inch longer than a BCM A2X. Makes not one bit of difference from a practical standpoint. I do have to admit, it’s not as aesthetically pleasing however.

Still can’t get over the AERO M4A1 lower suggestion... Because there are so many of those in the wild... who wouldn’t want one as a COLT clone? Who? Had to have been sarcasm... had to.

I think you'd be better off getting the BCM SOCOM 14.5 upper with an Aero M4A1 lower.

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 08:36

I understand that line of thought, but I really wanted a genuine Colt that was, to the greatest possible extent, a copy of the Colt still being used by various military units. And as someone else said, Colt is Colt...they work and as I research and read more deeplyinto the history of the AR, I found it appealling to have a Colt that is, as I understand it (maybe I am wrong) still the only AR made based on the actual TDP, so for all these reasons I know I am spending more than I need to to get a M4 Carbine, but I am enjoying it and looking forward to it.

Ftrinida1
05-21-19, 08:51
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4A1-SOCOM-Carbine-US-Govt-Property-Marked-p/le6920socom.htm

OP, I would look into these as well. I've ordered from AU several times as they have great prices on genuine Colt parts.

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 09:03
Question: What is the current optic most often used by SOCOM with the M4A1?

Also... What about the spring and buffer combo Geissele sells. Engineered specifically for the Carbine length gas ststem?

Ftrinida1
05-21-19, 09:12
Question: What is the current optic most often used by SOCOM with the M4A1?

Also... What about the spring and buffer combo Geussrle sells. Engineered specifically for the Carbine length gas ststem?I've been deployed to Afghanistan/Iraq every couple months for the last 5 years. The most common that I've seen in the following order are TA31 ACOG, Aimpoint CompM4//M4s/M2, and Elcan 1-4 for the M4A1s without RIS II rails.

As for the buffer system, I have not had a chance to try the super 42 but the H2 that comes with the rifle is just about perfect IMO. That is also how the issued M4A1s are configured.

Ftrinida1
05-21-19, 09:24
This rifle was issued to one of the Marines I was working with.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/dc071e744034c4af2a86e254cff8f35b.jpg

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 09:26
Thanks for the input on both points. I have been considering an ACOG

MistWolf
05-21-19, 10:20
I have a 2018 SOCOM and have the new model on layaway at the LGS. After a quick inspection, the only difference I could find between the two is the size and method of the markings. The markings on the 2019 model are smaller and either laser or pantograph engraved. The markings on the older model are stamped.

arptsprt
05-21-19, 17:17
Interesting. I have a 2018 edition and the markings on mine are definitely all laser engraved and smaller than “normal” stamped marks on other Colts I have. Mine was delivered on 9/10/2018.

I’ll caveat this next statement by saying I don’t care, but consistent with what Charlie’s disclaimer reads, my copy does have its fair share of Colt’s known “handling marks” on the receivers. Again, don’t care but it was the case for mine.

I have a 2018 SOCOM and have the new model on layaway at the LGS. After a quick inspection, the only difference I could find between the two is the size and method of the markings. The markings on the 2019 model are smaller and either laser or pantograph engraved. The markings on the older model are stamped.

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 17:33
my copy does have its fair share of Colt’s known “handling marks” on the receivers. Again, don’t care but it was the case for mine.

I am going to use this COLT regularly for training, etc. and it is going to be my "go to" Carbine in my safe for HD/SD, etc. etc. I'm pretty rough on whatever I happen to be using at the time: firearms, tools, cars, trucks, etc. I'm not in sync with the guys who expect their firearms to remain somehow "pretty" after they use them, assuming they do. I'm not going for a "Precious Moment in the Curio Cabinet with Grandma's China" firearm.

:)

Eurodriver
05-21-19, 17:45
Lol @ Aero Lower and BCM suggestion.

Ftrinida1
05-21-19, 17:48
Lol @ Aero Lower and BCM suggestion.You might as well get this one lol

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m4a1-stripped-lower-receiver.html

Ftrinida1
05-21-19, 18:00
Here's a close-up of my 2018https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/8a651443b96697ad332c57c809e8fb2d.jpg

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 18:01
Sorry, I'm too distracted looking at the 40mm grenade launcher!

arptsprt
05-21-19, 18:02
I get it brother. And I feel the same way, especially with an AR. Personally, I feel there is something satisfying about using your gear as intended and getting the character marks.

I only made the comment because technically speaking, Colt markets this M4A1 as their “Collector Series” and that is how some want it.

And Precious Moments, lol. I do remember those figurines from my Grandma...

I am going to use this COLT regularly for training, etc. and it is going to be my "go to" Carbine in my safe for HD/SD, etc. etc. I'm pretty rough on whatever I happen to be using at the time: firearms, tools, cars, trucks, etc. I'm not in sync with the guys who expect their firearms to remain somehow "pretty" after they use them, assuming they do. I'm not going for a "Precious Moment in the Curio Cabinet with Grandma's China" firearm.

:)

MistWolf
05-21-19, 18:28
Roll mark on my older SOCOM. IF I recall, it's the 2018 model. I don't have a photo of the new one yet
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3h7R2Vs/0/419f7021/X2/i-3h7R2Vs-X2.jpg

MorphCross
05-21-19, 18:49
Also... What about the spring and buffer combo Geissele sells. Engineered specifically for the Carbine length gas ststem?

I would not bother with the Super 42. Especially considering you are looking at a complete M4A1 from Colt. The stock buffer and spring set will be sufficient for the function of the carbine.

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 19:08
Roll mark on my older SOCOM. IF I recall, it's the 2018 model. I don't have a photo of the new one yet
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3h7R2Vs/0/419f7021/X2/i-3h7R2Vs-X2.jpg

I was watching a video on the M4A1 Carbine to Mischa and Chris Bartocci pointed out the period after the 5.56 MM. and said that might be Colt's way of distinguishing these civilian-market M4A1s in terms of roll marks.

kaltesherz
05-21-19, 22:47
I just picked up a M4A1 complete lower off of GB and was surprised that it's rollmark was laser engraved and looks nothing like my issue M4A1 (or the pics posted above). I'm honestly pretty disappointed as the whole point was marking to make a clone of my work gun. It's not the end of the world, but I probably wouldn't have ordered it had I known they were going to look like that.

MistoGators
05-21-19, 23:43
Is this your attempt at sarcasm/humor?A BCM upper and AERO lower when we’re talking about a true COLT M4A1 CLONE? Maybe go back and read the OP’s original post.

A little education for you, a Colt pinned FH is not a BCM A2X FH. So, obviously, as such, they would be different, yes? The pinned Colt FH is a different style and about 1/4 inch longer than a BCM A2X. Makes not one bit of difference from a practical standpoint. I do have to admit, it’s not as aesthetically pleasing however.

Still can’t get over the AERO M4A1 lower suggestion... Because there are so many of those in the wild... who wouldn’t want one as a COLT clone? Who? Had to have been sarcasm... had to.
No reason to get so upset.

MistoGators
05-21-19, 23:44
Lol @ Aero Lower and BCM suggestion.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183047-Current-Aero-Precision-Quality

arptsprt
05-22-19, 07:21
Can you post a pic? I’m curious to what you got. Colt made earlier versions of the SOCOM that were only rollmarked M4A1 CARBINE, and not “Property of. US Gov’t M4A1 Carbine.”

Is that what you got?

I just picked up a M4A1 complete lower off of GB and was surprised that it's rollmark was laser engraved and looks nothing like my issue M4A1 (or the pics posted above). I'm honestly pretty disappointed as the whole point was marking to make a clone of my work gun. It's not the end of the world, but I probably wouldn't have ordered it had I known they were going to look like that.

tehpwnag3
05-22-19, 09:35
Not a true clone. The quality is not the problem.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183047-Current-Aero-Precision-Quality

kaltesherz
05-22-19, 10:18
Can you post a pic? I’m curious to what you got. Colt made earlier versions of the SOCOM that were only rollmarked M4A1 CARBINE, and not “Property of. US Gov’t M4A1 Carbine.”

Is that what you got?

https://i.imgur.com/h1g8Nh1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u5Oovrx.jpg

Hammer_Man
05-22-19, 11:08
This rifle was issued to one of the Marines I was working with.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/dc071e744034c4af2a86e254cff8f35b.jpg

Side note: Is that weapon equipped with a back up rear sight? Kind of hard to tell, but it seems like it doesn't have one. I'm just curious more than anything.

Eurodriver
05-22-19, 13:02
Side note: Is that weapon equipped with a back up rear sight? Kind of hard to tell, but it seems like it doesn't have one. I'm just curious more than anything.

No it is. And why would it?

Ftrinida1
05-22-19, 13:06
Side note: Is that weapon equipped with a back up rear sight? Kind of hard to tell, but it seems like it doesn't have one. I'm just curious more than anything.I don't think that particular one did. Most of them had buis and they were all matech. This is for the rifles with kac ris rails.

Hammer_Man
05-22-19, 15:31
I don't think that particular one did. Most of them had buis and they were all matech. This is for the rifles with kac ris rails.

Interesting. Glad you mentioned the Matech, as I was curious what buis the Marines were issuing with their M4A1s. I was a bit surprised to not see a buis on that rifle, as I'm sure the Marines don't exactly approve of troops altering their assigned weapons, but maybe you're dealing with people more high speed than not.

Hammer_Man
05-22-19, 15:32
Edit: duplicate post, mods please delete this one.

arptsprt
05-22-19, 15:38
Thanks for sharing. Now I understand what you were saying. It does look different. From what I’m gathering, this appears the new way Colt is now marking their lowers now with the laser engraving.

I made a false statement earlier. I thought the roll mark on my copy purchased in 9/2018 was also laser engraved but it is not. The logo and text is traditional stamping and the only the S/N is laser.

Personally, I don’t mind the way yours looks but I get it. Do you mind me asking what’s different from your issued M4A1 other than look? Are the words the same? Not being critical, genuinely curious to learn.

https://i.imgur.com/h1g8Nh1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u5Oovrx.jpg

kaltesherz
05-22-19, 16:02
Marines issue KAC 600M BUIS, which are 429 times nicer than the Matech's we get issued. And I won't know why you wouldn't run BUIS, while standard ACOG mounts aren't fast to remove, if things are getting spicy and it's either damaged or it's zero is totally off it's nice to have that option (plus they don't really take up space or weight).

MistoGators
05-22-19, 22:53
Not a true clone. The quality is not the problem.
But then wouldn't the FNH military collector be the truest since it has all the the correct markings while the Colt does not? Not to mention that they've been making them for the military for awhile now.

arptsprt
05-23-19, 06:11
I do not believe that is correct. I actually researched this myself several months ago after I received my Colt M4A1 as I’d never seen the . after MM before.

Combat_Diver (also a member and SME here who is/was a highly skilled .mil armorer) posted pics from Astan on TOS back in 2018 of actual issue FN M4A1 on the rack and the FN M4A1 CARBINE rollmark also included the . after MM. So obviously this mark is part of the standard M4A1 rollmark.

Also interesting, those particular issued FN M4A1 he posted pics of had C stamped uppers.

I’d link to TOS thread and show the pic but that’s not allowed per M4c.net rules.

I was watching a video on the M4A1 Carbine to Mischa and Chris Bartocci pointed out the period after the 5.56 MM. and said that might be Colt's way of distinguishing these civilian-market M4A1s in terms of roll marks.

Prestonshooting
05-23-19, 07:02
Thanks for the great info!!

tehpwnag3
05-23-19, 09:05
This is a 6920 SOCOM thread. I don't see how Aero, BCM, and/or FN fit into this thread.

But then wouldn't the FNH military collector be the truest since it has all the the correct markings while the Colt does not? Not to mention that they've been making them for the military for awhile now.

tehpwnag3
05-23-19, 09:13
MistoGators,

Here I'll repost this for you in case you missed it....

arptsprt
05-23-19, 09:43
Exactly. Arguing for the sake of arguing when not productive or helpful as related to the stated thread title and questions the OP is asking about a COLT SOCOM.

That said, unless things have changed with the FN, the FN M4A1 does not have the proper “Property of US Gov’t” rollmark. It is true the FN has the Auto rollmark at the proper position on the lower at selector switch - which the Colt does not.

Also, there are some other minor deviations with the barrel including length and no “flats” under handguard.

Also, I believe Colt is still under contract by Uncle Sugar to provide some level of M4A1 to the military.

This is a 6920 SOCOM thread. I don't see how Aero, BCM, and/or FN fit into this thread.

Prestonshooting
05-23-19, 09:52

Thanks!! I am too new to point this out, plus...a beggar can't be choosy, but I was wondering about thread drift too. ;)

Galactica88
09-02-19, 10:39
I've got a BCM SOCOM 14.5 barreled upper. I Free floated it with a 10 inch BCM KMR rail just for the hell of it. It's turned out to be pretty light weight and looks good too. It's attached to an Aero FDE lower. 58640

CrowCommand
09-02-19, 12:16
Deleted