PDA

View Full Version : Changing up the EDC, anyone ever done it? (vp9SK)

turnburglar
05-20-19, 23:49
So I have been carrying my gen 3 Glock 19 since I joined this forum pretty much. We have been through not only a half dozen classes, but a few actual escaltion of force incidents, and thousands of rounds. I did all the stippling myself, and even bent my own kydex that I have been rocking for years at this point. I guess i just have some sentimenal feelings towards my 19. Honeslty over the years I have had zero desire to ever replace the glock or even try another gun. Recently though I got cool with a guy that runs the indoor range, and he lets me rent everything for free. I am highly unimpressed with Sigs offerings, but I shot the vp9 recently and it kinda made me want more than the Glock provides.

Anyone out there ever chase the new hotness and never look back? Or did you fall back into old ways once the honeymoon wears off? Obvisouly Im not selling the 19 and can always just continue to carry it, the $900 investment into the vp9SK + mags is a big expesne for me that I try not to take lightly.

AKDoug
05-21-19, 00:05
I went to the VP9 for a while. I gave it an honest shake through a summer season of weekend matches. While it was more "comfortable" in hand than my G19, I actually didn't shoot it any faster or more accurately. I haven't tried the SK model, though. My daughter had the same results, while my other daughter and wife shot the VP9 better.

lsllc
05-21-19, 06:14
I have carried a VP9 on and off. It was the only gun I carried for over a year. I recently acquired a VP9SK. I shoot it much better than Glock. Only downside is the $50 magazines and deduced capacity....the ten rounders hold 11 and the 12s hold 13. That’s ok, I have quite a few magazines and losing two rounds isn’t that big of a deal.

I also bent a holster for mine.

If it suits your needs, go for it. They are excellent guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05-21-19, 06:20
Can one of you PM me about your learning experience on homemade kydex?

Circle_10
05-21-19, 07:19
I started carrying a full sized VP9 in the summer of 2015, as a replacement for the Glock 23 I had grown to hate. Originally I used a Crossbreed Snapslide for the VP, but eventually decided this holster had some real deficiencies, at least for my needs. I generally carry one spare mag, and for this I started out using the same Safariland horizontal mag carrier I had used for my G23. I ended up getting tired of having extra stuff on my belt so I moved to a SnagMag pocket magazine carrier. While it's far from perfect I do prefer it to carrying a mag on my belt.
Meanwhile on the holster front, I moved to a Raven Concealment Phantom. A much better holster in my opinion. By late 2017 I was getting sick of carrying a full sized gun and bought a VP9SK (somewhat grudgingly, but I wanted holster/mag compatibility) and by March of 2018 started carrying it instead, relegating the full sized VP9 to house gun duty and using the same Raven Phantom holster I used for the full sized VP9, and carrying a 15 and mag as a reload on the SnagMag still.
After putting almost 3500 rounds through the VP9SK, and carrying it for a while, I went back to carrying my full sized VP9 because try as I might I just can't get much better with the SK. I've never been a particularly strong pistol shooter and my lack of skill with the SK finally drove me to go back to the full sized gun because I'm better with it, though it's size is a hindrance for carry.
As far as the reliability of the VP9SK goes, in about 3500 rounds I had two malfunctions, one that may have been my fault and one that was probably my fault.
My full size has, thus far, been completely reliable.
On both guns I replaced the factory plastic striker plates with the stupid striker viewing holes with the solid aluminum replacements from HK parts. I found the holes allowed a lot of lint and crap into the gun.
My only other complaint about the VPs is I feel like they are perhaps a bit undersprung. My full-sized VP still has the old first-gen red recoil spring though. HK has since started using the same, stronger, recoil spring in the 9mm VPs as they use in the VP40s though.
And while the "weak" spring in my VP9 kinda bugs me to be fair I've never had a malfunction with it so I haven't felt hugely compelled to replace it yet.

SeriousStudent
05-21-19, 18:06
Got you beat by a generation - I have been carrying the same boringly reliable Gen 2 Glock 19 for about 25 years.

If you do swap, remember that you really need a spare gun, at least a dozen mags, and both right and left handed carry gear.

(Fall and break your dominant wrist, and you will know why I said that.)

So that pistol and a few mags starts looking like a lot more money. If you shoot it loads better, rock on.

Of course, having delivering that diatribe, I'm experimenting with a Beretta Vertec tuned by Ernest Langdon. It shoots minute of eyeball, and I love this thing.

I think you touched on the important pieces - do you shoot it demonstrably better? Mags and gear are more expensive. So it's not really $900, it's honestly closer to $2K.

Are you ever going to carry AIWB? The G19 has "The Gadget", but the VP9SK does not. You could go with a P2000SK or a P30SK to get a hammer-fired gun. All of them are nice, and share mags. That's another thing to think about.

Hope that helps.

Uni-Vibe
05-21-19, 18:09
I carried a compact .45 1911 for 20 years.

Then a bit of training taught me that you can get to slide lock really quick. Especially if the Gang of Four jumps on you.

So I parked the 1911 and got serious. 17+1 of 9mm in modern double stack, striker fired plastic.

Prestonshooting
05-21-19, 18:09
I'm of a mind to stick with what I know best and train with the most often and so I don't like to swap out EDC handguns like ladies change their purses. :)

Coal Dragger
05-21-19, 20:47
I can’t speak directly to the VP9SK, but my normal carry gun is a full size VP9 LE with the factory night sights.

Up until the last few months I had carried it on my strong side hip in a Comp-Tac kydex holster. Wearing a casual fit shirt would usually conceal the pistol without issue, and I don often find myself in situations where a tucked in shirt is mandatory. My personal performance with the VP9 is better than with any other striker fired pistol that I have tried. In 2016 I managed to win the pistol challenge in a Pat McNamara class with it shooting predominantly against other guys shooting Glocks. Mine came out of the box shooting to the sights out to 50 yards with the factory tritium sights. Subjectively I like how the medium grip panels feel, but I shoot the large panels and large back strap better.

The only modification to the frame I have done is installing an HK Parts match striker catch/seer spring. It cleaned up the let off just a bit, and I retained the factory trigger return spring for the nice positive trigger return. I don’t hump the reset so that’s not a huge concern, but the reset is pretty positive. I plan the have custom trigger work done later this year if possible to get rid of excessive over travel.

I also acquired a long slide kit for the pistol, and in the limited shooting I did with it the long slide proved reliable and very very accurate. Think match gun accurate. This slide is currently at Primary Machine getting milled for an Aimpoint ACRO P-1.

I have had one ammunition related malfunction with the original slide and barrel, a failure to extract. The casing was stuck so hard that I had to disassemble the pistol and punch the case out with a rod down the barrel. No idea why.

Currently carrying the pistol AIWB in a PHLster Floodlight holster. This holster is made to work with a Surefire X300U and retention is based off of the light not the pistol. Since the light sticks out well past the stock slide length I tried it with the long slide and it carried with no issues. Given the accuracy potential of the match fit barrel, I’ll probably carry the long slide from here on out assuming the ACRO on the slide doesn’t make concealment impossible. I have found AIWB comfortable and allows for concealing an outrageously large handgun with normal cover garments like a button up shirt. You can’t dress like a hipster in skinny jeans and an extra medium shirt and make it work, but if you wear normal fitting clothes it conceals just fine as long as your pants are sized for IWB/AIWB carry.

Pappabear
05-21-19, 22:20
If you want to rock the HK, rock it. You will do fine with either gun. I dig the HK guns for their reliability, but many feel Glocks are the same . Either will work just fine, just rock one. Done over think it, its not a big deal.

PB

Phillygunguy
05-28-19, 06:26
I actually do change my EDC gear, but it's between a Glock 19/19X and a
HKP30. I have more experience with glocks but I bought a p30 LEM back in 2012, before the John Wick movies had an influence on everybody buying one. My reason back then was glocks were having ejection issues and I read so many good things about the P30 I decided to buy one to replace my Glock. At first I hated the LEM trigger, and still shot glocks, but I kept going back to it and today I still shoot it and carry it with my glocks.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-28-19, 20:18
I spent years going from gun to gun to gun. I have slowed considerably over the last 5 or so years with J-Frames, 1911s and Berettas being my standards. You just have to find out what works for you. You cannot, really do much other than listen and try stuff out. For years I HATED revolvers and berettas. I hated DA/SA and I thought the Beretta Grip was too big. I owned zillions of Glocks and HKs. I kept trying to like the G19 because everyone kept saying it was great. G19s hate me. Gen 3s rain brass in my face. My Gen 5 ejected properly but the trigger went to crap at about 1500 rounds so I said forget it. Basically, I just decided to settle on what I noticed I was actually carrying out of my zillion guns. I still love trying new stuff (playing with a P10F right now), but I don't think there is any way to make yourself like anything.

I had a P2000Sk years ago and it was a fantastic gun. It was basically a DA/SA VP9. I did, however dislike the bulk of the gun (just like the G26) because I found it only a bit more comfortable than a G19 sized gun.

Watrdawg
05-29-19, 07:09
I've bounced around from a 1st gen M&P 45 Midsize to a G19 to the M&P 2.0 9mm Ccompact to a Sig 320 9mm Compact and in one way or another I've liked them all. The M&P45 is the most accurate of them all followed by the Sig320 then the M&P 2.0 and lastly the G19.If i were forced to pick only 1 it would be the M&P 2.0 9mm Compact. Feels great in my hand, its very accurate and is as reliable as any of them.

SeriousStudent is definitely right about getting both left and right hand holsters and mag carriers. A few years back I tore a right pectoral muscle working out and couldn't use my right arm for much for 4-6 months. It wasn't fun learning how to use my left hand for everything and it was an eye opening learning experience.

P2Vaircrewman
05-29-19, 08:40
I carried a compact .45 1911 for 20 years.

Then a bit of training taught me that you can get to slide lock really quick. Especially if the Gang of Four jumps on you.

So I parked the 1911 and got serious. 17+1 of 9mm in modern double stack, striker fired plastic.

I experienced the same. Went from a Colt Defender to a Glock 19

cscoios
05-29-19, 09:20
I experienced the same. Went from a Colt Defender to a Glock 19

Same here. Carried 1911 for 20 years and the weight killed my lower back and was always bothered by the lack of ammo capacity. When my son bought a G19, I did the same and never looked back.

phixion
05-29-19, 10:00
Not really.

I found what works for me and will use it until it doesn't.

There is a lot that I would love to try, but in the end, isn't worth the time or financial investment, so I tend to stick with what I have.

It worked yesterday. It'll work tomorrow too.

MountainRaven
05-29-19, 12:59
SeriousStudent is definitely right about getting both left and right hand holsters and mag carriers. A few years back I tore a right pectoral muscle working out and couldn't use my right arm for much for 4-6 months. It wasn't fun learning how to use my left hand for everything and it was an eye opening learning experience.

This is one of the things I like about the newer RCS holsters (Eidolon, Morrigan, Perun) and magazine carriers (Copia): They're all completely ambidextrous out of the box.

WickedWillis
05-29-19, 14:56
Not really.

I found what works for me and will use it until it doesn't.

There is a lot that I would love to try, but in the end, isn't worth the time or financial investment, so I tend to stick with what I have.

It worked yesterday. It'll work tomorrow too.
There seems to be a level of boredom, or lack of shooting that can mess with people too. It has happened to me several times, including last week.

I keep telling myself I need something smaller than my G26 for daily carry, and I really love the P365, but I can't afford one yet. So what I did last weekend is went to my range and shot the guns that I carry. Made sure I was still effective, accurate, and controlled with them. Did draws from concealment under time, reloads, all that fun stuff.

I realized while doing drills and shooting, that there is no way in hell that I am getting out here and doing this enough, and my idle mind was trying to convince me that a new gun would change how I feel, and make me want to switch everything up. The longer I am away from the range, the more I think I should buy. Sorry to get off tangent a little here.

I went from carrying a Kel Tec Pf9, to a Ruger LCR, to a Glock 26, sold the 26, went to a Shield, sold the Shield, went back to a G26, started carrying a 19, then a 43.

I now carry a G26 when I need something smaller for shorts and a t-shirt, and my G19 every other time. This has been a very expensive learning process for me. Working on being content with what I am invested in! (Not meant to shame or tell anyone that they are wrong in switching up their kits!)

Gunnar da Wolf
05-29-19, 19:42
I don’t like Glocks, which is down from my original “I hate Glocks” as the Gen 5 guns now feel acceptable. Several years ago I bought a VP9 just to have a striker fired 9mm and I carry it in my EDC rotation. I also shoot it in IDPA and our local three gun competitions. I have consistently hit pepper poppers with it at 100 yards and it has never jammed. XTech magazines work perfectly at $36 each.

In my humble opinion you can buy the HK for about 1.5x what the G19 costs and gain about zero. Magazines, holsters, aftermarket parts. Hell Glock OEM parts! They are all way more available and affordable for Glock than anything else on the planet. If you are already happy with your G19 buy a second one.

FWIW I’m currently in a retro phase, rocking my SA 1911 in shorts and a T-shirt after losing 35 pounds. :cool:

MegademiC
05-29-19, 20:26
So I have been carrying my gen 3 Glock 19 since I joined this forum pretty much. We have been through not only a half dozen classes, but a few actual escaltion of force incidents, and thousands of rounds. I did all the stippling myself, and even bent my own kydex that I have been rocking for years at this point. I guess i just have some sentimenal feelings towards my 19. Honeslty over the years I have had zero desire to ever replace the glock or even try another gun. Recently though I got cool with a guy that runs the indoor range, and he lets me rent everything for free. I am highly unimpressed with Sigs offerings, but I shot the vp9 recently and it kinda made me want more than the Glock provides.

Anyone out there ever chase the new hotness and never look back? Or did you fall back into old ways once the honeymoon wears off? Obvisouly Im not selling the 19 and can always just continue to carry it, the $900 investment into the vp9SK + mags is a big expesne for me that I try not to take lightly.

In my opinion, assuming you know what you’re doing, if you cant quantify how a gun is holding you back, a new one wont help.
If you want to buy a new gun because you like it, go for it, but dont expect better performance.

lsllc
05-29-19, 20:30
In my opinion, assuming you know what you’re doing, if you cant quantify how a gun is holding you back, a new one wont help.
If you want to buy a new gun because you like it, go for it, but dont expect better performance.

I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate. I shoot a VP9 quite a bit better than a Glock. My SK I was hitting upper 90s B8s on day one. A stock 19 I’m low 90s. Sometimes things like ergonomics do matter.

Adrenaline_6
05-30-19, 07:08
I don’t like Glocks, which is down from my original “I hate Glocks” as the Gen 5 guns now feel acceptable. Several years ago I bought a VP9 just to have a striker fired 9mm and I carry it in my EDC rotation. I also shoot it in IDPA and our local three gun competitions. I have consistently hit pepper poppers with it at 100 yards and it has never jammed. XTech magazines work perfectly at $36 each.

In my humble opinion you can buy the HK for about 1.5x what the G19 costs and gain about zero. Magazines, holsters, aftermarket parts. Hell Glock OEM parts! They are all way more available and affordable for Glock than anything else on the planet. If you are already happy with your G19 buy a second one.

I don't know where you are looking, but you are buying the XTech mags for what you can get an OEM HK mag for. Also, not sure what you are paying for a G19, but a VP9 can be found from $499 on a good day to low $500's all the time.

sundance435
05-30-19, 11:37
I'd say I shot my VP9SK marginally better than my 26 and about the same as my 19X. I still have the 26 and sold the VP9SK. It was an awesome gun, with the best stock polymer trigger I've shot, but I can conceal the 26 easier. The VP9SK is dimensionally more like a 19 than a 26, so if you're already carrying a 19, that shouldn't be a big deal. I'd train like hell with the paddle mag release, though. Personally, I love it, but who knows what your reflexes will do if you ever have to use it and the muscle memory isn't there for the paddle release.

For holsters, all of my last 4 CCW holsters came from JM Custom Kydex. They are simply an awesome biz to deal with.

Adrenaline_6
05-30-19, 12:59
The VP9SK is dimensionally more like a 19 than a 26, so if you're already carrying a 19, that shouldn't be a big deal.

It's actually right in between the G19 and G26 height wise and length wise.

Ron3
05-30-19, 13:06
I would have saved a lot of money just shooting Glocks and snub revolvers.

But then I experienced other pistols that are as reliable as Glocks but actually feel good in hand and don't shoot left. ;)

Ron3
05-30-19, 13:17
To answer your question OP yes after 90% carrying a G19 for 9 years concealed every day the gun that finally took its place long term is a Beretta Cheetah .32 / .380.

I think I'm on 3 years with it now. Sorta takes me full circle because the very first gun I bought to carry was a Bersa 85. (7+1 .380)
Almost had to use it against 3 or 4 carjackers. (One event)

Many reasons I like the Beretta but the main ones are its smaller, lighter, DA / SA, and still holds 12+1 or 13+1 rds.

MegademiC
05-30-19, 22:21
I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate. I shoot a VP9 quite a bit better than a Glock. My SK I was hitting upper 90s B8s on day one. A stock 19 I’m low 90s. Sometimes things like ergonomics do matter.

Thats quantifiable. If you cant manage good trigger control with the glock, but can with another gun- you have ID’d how its “holding you back”. I believe you can overcome it, but the decision to work through it or just by another gun that works well with you to get a jump in performance would be rational either way.

Ive found even backstraps can make a noticable impact on performance.

lsllc
05-30-19, 22:25
Thats quantifiable. If you cant manage good trigger control with the glock, but can with another gun- you have ID’d how its “holding you back”. I believe you can overcome it, but the decision to work through it or just by another gun that works well with you to get a jump in performance would be rational either way.

Ive found even backstraps can make a noticable impact on performance.

I didn’t mention trigger, but the ergonomics are what sets it above for me. I can get a full grip on the gun. The ability to change our panels helps quite a bit as well.

I’ve also found that I can reload a paddle-release gun faster because I don’t have to roll the gun as far to get the mag out.

WickedWillis
05-31-19, 11:43
I didn’t mention trigger, but the ergonomics are what sets it above for me. I can get a full grip on the gun. The ability to change our panels helps quite a bit as well.

I’ve also found that I can reload a paddle-release gun faster because I don’t have to roll the gun as far to get the mag out.

I am a big fan of the VP, and P30 series of guns from HK. The grip panel setups are a cool idea, but you will most likely do it once and leave it that way for the rest of the time you have the gun. The triggers on the Vp9's are great, but they always felt very light to me, and it took me awhile to be truly comfortable with it, yet never comfortable enough to carry it every day. I also prefer the European style magazine release to the standard push button because I have smaller hands.

lsllc
05-31-19, 11:48
My hands are an anomaly. Wide, thick, but short fingers. I think that’s why I run the gun well.

ViniVidivici
05-31-19, 13:50
Well I can say many moons ago I was a 1911 guy. Didn't really mean to fully transition to Glocks, was just learning and training up with a different platform.

Liked 'em more and more, for all the obvious reasons. Made the evolution, haven't looked back. Started with a G23, and ultimately G17 and G19 are where it's at, for me, these days.

I only sold my 1911s for needs at the time. I miss 'em, but I wouldn't still carry 'em if I still had 'em.

MegademiC
05-31-19, 22:19
Delete-accidental post.

El_Chingon
06-20-19, 21:53
I am started to carry the VP9 sk and it is working out, as long as I carry the mag extension so I can get a full grip. i think you will like the vp9

Pilgrim
06-30-19, 15:44
I’ve tried every pistol there is... Carried more Glocks than anything, but clearly I am able to shoot the VP9 better than the G19. Not getting rid of the G19 though.

Held my nose and finally got a Sig 320, didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. Probably better than the VP9. Time will tell.

I have short stubby fingers also, so some pistols present a trigger reach issue.

I only use one rifle platform, but don’t mind experimenting with different pistols.

I shoot from 200 to 500 pistol rounds a week. I found the older I get, the more I have to practice!

Eazyeach
07-22-19, 21:59
There seems to be a level of boredom, or lack of shooting that can mess with people too. It has happened to me several times, including last week.

I keep telling myself I need something smaller than my G26 for daily carry, and I really love the P365, but I can't afford one yet. So what I did last weekend is went to my range and shot the guns that I carry. Made sure I was still effective, accurate, and controlled with them. Did draws from concealment under time, reloads, all that fun stuff.

I realized while doing drills and shooting, that there is no way in hell that I am getting out here and doing this enough, and my idle mind was trying to convince me that a new gun would change how I feel, and make me want to switch everything up. The longer I am away from the range, the more I think I should buy. Sorry to get off tangent a little here.

I went from carrying a Kel Tec Pf9, to a Ruger LCR, to a Glock 26, sold the 26, went to a Shield, sold the Shield, went back to a G26, started carrying a 19, then a 43.

I now carry a G26 when I need something smaller for shorts and a t-shirt, and my G19 every other time. This has been a very expensive learning process for me. Working on being content with what I am invested in! (Not meant to shame or tell anyone that they are wrong in switching up their kits!)

I go through the same type of thing. I’m too busy to get to the range very often so I read the forums or check my sales flyers and end up buying guns I don’t need mainly out of boredom. Getting my fix without actually doing any work.

I think I’ll turn off my iPhone and go dry fire now.

nick84
07-22-19, 22:51
I've gone from G19 to a P30 to a full size VP9. I carry AIWB. While I feel like I handle the g19 pretty well, I consistently put a more accurate and faster round on target from draw with the HK. Some combination of the grip and the trigger make it better off for me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with changing things up from time to time either. While its true that spending money on a new setup kinda sucks; the way I look at it is that even if I go back to what I was doing before the experience will have (hopefully) helped me identify strengths or weaknesses with what I was doing, and improve if necessary. YMMV.

I've come to believe that everyone who is actually dedicated to carrying on a consistent basis probably has a couple shoeboxes full of holsters stashed above the safe. Lord knows.....

Irelander
10-31-19, 09:17
I carried a Glock 19 for many years and always struggled with it. It just never seemed to fit my hand well. I recently purchased a P2000sk V2 and I feel like it's a laser beam. It shoots very well for me and feels much better in my hand. I still have my Glock 19 but haven't shot it since buying the HK. The Glock with a RCS Eidolon concealed great for me. I'm working my way through JMCK holsters to find something that conceals as good with the HK. That's my only hiccup so far.