PDA

View Full Version : Jihad Johnnie Walker Lindh Being Released from Prison Early

Doc Safari
05-21-19, 11:42
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-21/american-taliban-getting-out-prison-early-slain-cia-officers-father-senators-demand

John Walker Lindh, the so-called 'American Taliban', is being let out of federal prison over three years ahead of schedule, and people want to know why.

Lindh converted to Sunni Islam at age 16 after dropping out of school and becoming obsessed with hip-hop and the movie Malcom X (he pretended to be a black rapper online and criticized others for "acting black"). Shortly after his father left his mother for another man, the culturally appropriating Lindh began to attend San Francisco Bay Area mosques. After a 10-month trip to Yemen in 1998 to study the Qur'an, Lindh returned home for eight months, only to return to the Middle East - eventually winding up in Afghanistan to take up arms against Northern Alliance fighters in May, 2001.

He was captured on November 25, 2001 and held at an a makeshift prison in Afghanistan, where he would participate in an extremely violent prisoner uprising (the battle of Qala-i-Jangi) that led to the death of CIA officer Johnny "Mike" Spann and hundreds of foreign fighters. Lindh was one of 86 prisoners who survived after hiding in a basement with a group of detainees who shot at Red Cross workers sent in to collect the dead, killing one.

And now, he's getting out of prison early - and people want to know why.

Republican Sen. Richard C. Shelby of Alabama and Democratic Sen. Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire have lots of questions for the Trump administration about the expected release on May 23 from federal prison of John Walker Lindh.

The bipartisan senators have asked Hugh Hurwitz, the acting director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons, to answer several questions about preparations for the release of convicted terrorists. -Roll Call

The letter also expresses concern over "as many as 108 other terrorist offenders" who are also scheduled to be released over the next few years after their sentences are up, and "whether they pose an ongoing public threat, and what your agencies are doing to mitigate this threat while the offenders are in federal custody."

Also furious is the father of CIA agent Mike Spann. His father, Johnny Spann, told a Virginia federal court that Lindh reportedly "ignored" conditions placed on him in a 2002 plea agreement, according to CNN.

Spann has protested the early release of Lindh and taken the issue up with lawmakers, including Sen. Richard Shelby, an Alabama Republican, who said last month that he raised the issue with President Donald Trump, who agreed that Lindh should serve his full sentence.

According to a National Counterterrorism Center document reported by Foreign Policy magazine in 2017, Lindh "continued to advocate for global jihad and to write and translate violent extremist texts" from behind bars. -CNN

My take: So, this treasonous (expletive deleted) has not only taken up arms against his own former countrymen, but helped attack Red Cross workers. I'm pretty sure that's against the Geneva Convention or some other international agreement (not that jihadists recognize such agreements). But firing upon Red Cross workers is simply inhumane regardless of one's political aims. How is it that this guy is not in prison for life at the very least? And what about the other 108 prisoners scheduled to be released? Do we not suspect that they will simply take up their cause against America and the West all over again?

26 Inf
05-21-19, 13:22
Well, I tend to agree that he should be in prison for life or executed, but he was offered a plea deal by the DOJ that resulted in 20 years. Under the federal system you can earn up to 15% off sentences of over a year for good conduct.

Since I paid attention in grade school, I was able to calculate that 15% of 20 years does, indeed, equal 3 years.

As I said, from what I know, I agree his sentence should have been longer, but apparently the DOJ didn't think they would get anything better due to procedural errors in Lindh's handling and questioning after capture.

Doc Safari
05-21-19, 13:26
Well, I tend to agree that he should be in prison for life or executed, but he was offered a plea deal by the DOJ that resulted in 20 years. Under the federal system you can earn up to 15% off sentences of over a year for good conduct.

Since I paid attention in grade school, I was able to calculate that 15% of 20 years does, indeed, equal 3 years.

As I said, from what I know, I agree his sentence should have been longer, but apparently the DOJ didn't think they would get anything better due to procedural errors in Lindh's handling and questioning after capture.

I probably didn't get my point out clearly--certainly not your fault. :smile: I was questioning how any of these guys, Lindh and the 108 others, got any kind of deal where they could be released--ever? Certainly what Lindh did is treason, no? How is it any of these guys ever got offered plea deals?

And where will they parole to? What is to prevent them from going right back out to commit acts of jihad again?

Averageman
05-21-19, 14:04
Because the Rules of Land Warfare have been replaced by a ROE that kills US Soldiers?
When you take a prisoner and they decide to rise up against their captors the common sense thing to do would be to eliminate all of them and if they killed a Red Cross worker, well eliminate them at your leisure.
I'm not sure that the current ROE doesn't only put our Soldiers at risk, it may also embolden our Enemies.

MountainRaven
05-21-19, 14:17
I probably didn't get my point out clearly--certainly not your fault. :smile: I was questioning how any of these guys, Lindh and the 108 others, got any kind of deal where they could be released--ever? Certainly what Lindh did is treason, no? How is it any of these guys ever got offered plea deals?

This question was answered by this:

jack crab
05-21-19, 15:03

And where will they parole to? What is to prevent them from going right back out to commit acts of jihad again?

From the prosecution point of view, a plea deal is better than an acquittal.

Doc Safari
05-21-19, 15:11
From the prosecution point of view, a plea deal is better than an acquittal.

True that. And I suppose one could argue that at least they're "off the streets" for a few years, but DAYUM. What now? They just get released?

Anybody know the protocol on this? Are they probably deported somewhere? Surely they are at least watched by the FBI the rest of their lives?

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-21-19, 15:50
He'll disappears for awhile, but end up on the staff of some Democrat politician or a college professor at some point. He marries Bo Begdhal and lives happily ever after?

titsonritz
05-21-19, 16:11
Old news, already posted...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214162-So-anyone-recall-quot-Taliban-Johnnie-quot-Yep-to-be-relaesed-in-May

Sam
05-21-19, 17:08
I closed the older thread. Keep going here.

Btw, there are several restrictions on the condition of his release.

platoonDaddy
05-23-19, 08:23
That POS didn't even serve out his full sentence.

Lindh, dubbed the "American Taliban," had been serving his sentence at the Terre Haute, Indiana facility. He was discharged several years before completing the 20-year prison sentence he received for joining and supporting the Taliban, with officials citing "good behavior" for the early release. The former Islamist fighter and enemy combatant, named “Detainee 001 in the war on terror,” was captured alongside a group of Taliban fighters in 2001, just months after the Sept. 11 attacks and the start of the war in Afghanistan.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6040244911001/#sp=show-clips

NH Senator demands reason for early release

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6040179172001/#sp=show-clips

Sam
05-23-19, 08:52
That POS didn't even serve out his full sentence

See post #2.

26 Inf
05-23-19, 15:08
He'll disappears for awhile, but end up on the staff of some Democrat politician or a college professor at some point. He marries Bo Begdhal and lives happily ever after?

He got Irish citizenship, I'd think he'd head there as soon as he is able.

Sam
05-23-19, 15:20
He got Irish citizenship, I'd think he'd head there as soon as he is able.

If he ever gets his passport back. I'm sure he's also on the no fly list. So he'll have to take the slow boat if he wants to leave CONUS.

My feeling about it is why didn't all those JDAMs miss that pink building or why didn't all those grenades, RPGs, machine gun fires, burning fuel and finally the flood of freezing water get him in the hole of that pink house.

Doc Safari
05-23-19, 15:23
If he ever gets his passport back. I'm sure he's also on the no fly list. So he'll have to take the slow boat if he wants to leave CONUS.

Dang. I keep getting this mental image of the US going to war with Iran, and this oxygen thief ends up in a SWAT roundup of a bunch of jihadist types. The CIA guy is looking over the captures, and suddenly exclaims, "YOU! I remember YOU!" Sends a chill up my spine.

Jellybean
05-23-19, 15:58
...This oxygen thief ends up in a SWAT roundup of a bunch of jihadist types. The CIA guy is looking over the captures, and suddenly exclaims, "YOU! I remember YOU!" Sends a chill up my spine.

https://www.counterpunch.org/wp-content/dropzone/2018/02/saving-private-ryan-e1481119246665.jpg

ABNAK
05-23-19, 18:53

My feeling about it is why didn't all those JDAMs miss that pink building or why didn't all those grenades, RPGs, machine gun fires, burning fuel and finally the flood of freezing water get him in the hole of that pink house.

He should have been bulldozed into a mass grave with a bullet to the back of his head in 2001. No one would have been any the wiser. But he has riiiights. :cray:

Anyone remember his fake-ass "accent" in the video when he was captured? He makes me sick. He should be dead for almost 20 years now----just like Johnny Spann.

ace4059
05-24-19, 01:41
Too bad Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher wasn’t around in ‘01 when this POS was captured. He would have known how to solve the problem.

Oops... too soon?

Doc Safari
05-24-19, 14:45
Perhaps the gods are listening after all:

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2019/05/24/republicans-move-to-block-john-walker-lindh-style-early-releases-of-terrorists/

Senators Tom Cotton (R-AR) and Richard Shelby (R-AL) on Thursday introduced the No Leniency for Terrorists Act of 2019, a bill that would make convicted terrorists ineligible for early release from prison due to “good behavior.” Rep. Bradley Byrne (R-AL) introduced companion legislation in the House.
The bill was clearly and explicitly inspired by the early release of “American Taliban” John Walker Lindh, who served only 17 years of the 20-year sentence handed down after he was captured on the battlefields of Afghanistan while fighting for the enemy.

“Our safety depends on keeping dangerous terrorists where they can’t harm Americans, but right now even unrepentant terrorists are eligible for early release from prison, sometimes for so-called ‘good behavior.’ Supporting radical Islamist groups like ISIS is savage behavior, not good behavior,” said Sen. Cotton.

Sam
05-24-19, 15:15
3 more years isn't going to change him from a taliban to a God fearing Christian singing God Bless the USA. The die was cast 17 years ago.

Doc Safari
05-24-19, 15:18
3 more years isn't going to change him from a taliban to a God fearing Christian singing God Bless the USA. The die was cast 17 years ago.

I realize the proposed bill is mostly political, but since bills are changed and added to as they travel through Congress someone might hopefully attach a rider making it a mandatory life sentence for the types of things Lindh and the other terrorists were convicted of.

That's the optimist in me speaking.

Firefly
05-24-19, 15:22
Just a friendly reminder that you will get more jailttime for not paying taxes than literally joining an active terrorist group

Doc Safari
05-24-19, 15:27
Just a friendly reminder that you will get more jailttime for not paying taxes than literally joining an active terrorist group

We live in an unjust world for certain. When I worked corrections they cautioned us not to let the inmates know that if you rape someone and then kill her you will do less prison time than for just rape. I'm still not 100% sure if it had to do with sentencing guidelines or some other weird quirk in the system. All I know is that it was almost a policy not to discuss this ugly little loophole.

SteyrAUG
05-24-19, 17:46

No shit. And two of the biggest domestic terrorists in the US became a lawyer and a university professor. The Weather Underground tried to be the US version of the Baader Meinhoff / RAF and only luck and their incompetence kept them from racking up a higher body count.

In the late 60s terrorists literally got away with terrorism most of the time. Students held hostages at Cornell University and won concessions rather than jail time. The SDS was nothing more than Hanoi's fifth column and they were seen as heroes by most.

SteyrAUG
05-24-19, 17:48
We live in an unjust world for certain. When I worked corrections they cautioned us not to let the inmates know that if you rape someone and then kill her you will do less prison time than for just rape. I'm still not 100% sure if it had to do with sentencing guidelines or some other weird quirk in the system. All I know is that it was almost a policy not to discuss this ugly little loophole.

If they kill the victim, the rapist is usually the only one with a true account of the event. So they will trade "closure" for time. And it's not really a big secret among those who are willing to rape and murder. It's also a lot like after the first one, the rest are free.

Doc Safari
05-24-19, 17:51
If they kill the victim, the rapist is usually the only one with a true account of the event. So they will trade "closure" for time. And it's not really a big secret among those who are willing to rape and murder. It's also a lot like after the first one, the rest are free.

I actually Googled it a while back to see if there was some statutory reason and didn't find anything. No it's not a big secret, but we had our orders not to talk about it.

I seem to remember that (of course) prosecutors naively always go for the worse charge, and at that time (1990's) New Mexico had a nine-year sentence for manslaughter and a twelve-year sentence for rape. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. That was a long time ago. But it rings in my memory that it was something along those lines.

Of course not every case is identical and there are a lot of factors, but I think I'm remembering this correctly or close to it.

ABNAK
05-24-19, 20:40
I actually Googled it a while back to see if there was some statutory reason and didn't find anything. No it's not a big secret, but we had our orders not to talk about it.

I seem to remember that (of course) prosecutors naively always go for the worse charge, and at that time (1990's) New Mexico had a nine-year sentence for manslaughter and a twelve-year sentence for rape. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. That was a long time ago. But it rings in my memory that it was something along those lines.

Of course not every case is identical and there are a lot of factors, but I think I'm remembering this correctly or close to it.

A death caused during the commission of a violent felony? Sounds like the needle would be in order, no? In fact in a large number of states it would be.

Examples:

#1) some old guy has a heart attack and dies while being carjacked. Death, plus committed during a felony. The needle would be unlikely (and I'd maybe agree with that very reluctantly) because it wasn't intentional.

#2) old guy is shot in the face while being carjacked. Cold-blooded, intentional death during a felony. Stick that bastard a hundred times if you have to!

#3) girl is raped and dies of asphyxiation during the crime. Not necessarily "intentional". Too bad so sad. Jugular vein needle!

SteyrAUG
05-24-19, 21:03
A death caused during the commission of a violent felony? Sounds like the needle would be in order, no? In fact in a large number of states it would be.

Examples:

#1) some old guy has a heart attack and dies while being carjacked. Death, plus committed during a felony. The needle would be unlikely (and I'd maybe agree with that very reluctantly) because it wasn't intentional.

#2) old guy is shot in the face while being carjacked. Cold-blooded, intentional death during a felony. Stick that bastard a hundred times if you have to!

#3) girl is raped and dies of asphyxiation during the crime. Not necessarily "intentional". Too bad so sad. Jugular vein needle!

Yes, but if you rape and murder 8 girls and you are the only one who knows where the bodies (and evidence) is buried, prosecutors will often trade for a confession. Usually this means death penalty will no longer apply and in most cases a life sentence rarely results in a true life sentence.

The kind of people who do this shit often know how to game the system and know if they simply say nothing, a lot of the prosecutors case is circumstantial. Without physical evidence, bodies and statements it's hard to get dependable convictions. And usually you only get cooperation if you have hard evidence for one victim.

Doc Safari
05-24-19, 23:59
New Mexico has and has had a lot of issues with its justice system. I don't even want to hijack the thread any worse by trying to describe even some of it. Let's just say there are plenty of things to be frustrated about.