PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Machining TM-10.2 Receivers

Bret
05-23-19, 22:34
I've built a couple of AR15's using Tactical Machining's TM-15 lower and upper receiver sets. They're now offering their TM-10.2 receiver sets for $129+shipping.
https://www.tacticalmachining.com/upper-receivers/tm-10-2-combo.html

Has anyone built on these? Any issues? What's the "10.2" thing about?

Bret
05-27-19, 16:40
Since there were a good number of thread views without a reply, I decided to just go ahead and order a receiver set. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

PappyM3
05-27-19, 18:58
Since there were a good number of thread views without a reply, I decided to just go ahead and order a receiver set. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Thanks. I hadn’t heard of them, but I’m interested in their 80% 10.2.

As far as what the “10.2” is about, I believe this is their 2nd iteration of an “AR-10”. I think their first one was the rounded DPMS pattern.

Bomba07
07-01-19, 11:29
Any update on these? I’m looking at getting the combo set as well.

Bret
07-01-19, 12:33
Yes, sorry about the delay. I have not had a chance to build it yet, but I can comment on the cosmetics. The machining looks excellent. I think the fit will be good, but there may be an ever so slight gap between the receivers in the area where the mating surface changes from horizontal to vertical. I won't know for sure until I install the receiver pins. The finish of the two receivers is close but not exact. The upper has a bit more of a purple color, but it's probably not noticeable to most people.

Bomba07
07-01-19, 21:02
Thanks for replying. I’m trying to decide between an aero m5 set, this, or something much more expensive. For $130, this seems pretty hard to beat.

Heatmiser
08-02-19, 08:01
Any update on the build? I’ve been eyeing them as well....

Bret
08-02-19, 08:54
No. It's still in my to-do pile. I'm confident that they'll build up nicely though.

Heatmiser
08-02-19, 13:43
No. It's still in my to-do pile. I'm confident that they'll build up nicely though.

Please report back, I’m waiting on their 80% jigs to come in stock for the .308 receiver....

Jsp10477
08-04-19, 14:28
Nvm.....

RVTMaverick
08-08-19, 07:51
Hey Bret,
Thanks for the LINK and posting the question about these, I have never heard of them. I have to say, for the Price of the Set, with them being made, from 7075-T6 and the machining mating area with 45deg. angles that they cut into them. This is Much Better then some of the other companies that do AR10s with the rounded version. Plus they supply these with tensioning screw(s), just Incredible!
I see the contact # is Fla., I wonder if they are made there, IF So, the price is even More Unbelievable!

I'll be trying some of these 80%ers, I wish they made the AR9 Lowers.

Yes, sorry about the delay. I have not had a chance to build it yet, but I can comment on the cosmetics. The machining looks excellent. I think the fit will be good, but there may be an ever so slight gap between the receivers in the area where the mating surface changes from horizontal to vertical. I won't know for sure until I install the receiver pins. The finish of the two receivers is close but not exact. The upper has a bit more of a purple color, but it's probably not noticeable to most people.

Bret
08-08-19, 09:07
No problem. I like to share my discoveries. I'm almost 100% sure they're made in Florida. I purchased several of their 5.56x45 lowers and uppers in the past.

Jsp10477
08-08-19, 17:34
Their website says SR-25 compatible. Well they aren’t mws compatible.

RVTMaverick
08-09-19, 07:28
Yes Sir, 100% Made in the USA, they started their business in 2008.

Tactical Machining

About Tactical Machining

Tactical Machining was formed in 2008 to craft high quality parts for the AR-15 platform. Since then we’ve expanded our product line to include products for the home gun smith and the TM-10 platform. We are a full service machine shop. Tactical Machining is proud to say our products are American made in Deland, Florida using the highest quality materials available and held to tight tolerances.

No problem. I like to share my discoveries. I'm almost 100% sure they're made in Florida. I purchased several of their 5.56x45 lowers and uppers in the past.

RVTMaverick
08-09-19, 07:29
Hey Jsp., what is "mws" please?

Their website says SR-25 compatible. Well they aren’t mws compatible.

Jsp10477
08-09-19, 09:01
58433LMT MWS.

They need to disclose the proprietary pin size and verify compatability. I can verify that the upper does not pin on a MWS Lower.

TM verified via email that they take proprietary pivot and take down pins. They sell the pins on their site. I picked a couple of these up but may sell them and go another route.

18bravo
08-09-19, 09:29
Hey Jsp., what is "mws" please?

On LMTs (Lewis Machine & Tool) website they define MWS as a "Modular Weapon System" and also a "Monolithic Weapon System". In their FAQ section they provide clarification:

MRP: Monolithic Rail Platform – The MRP is one of our most popular patented designs that changed the nature of the AR platform. The MRP is a one piece upper receiver and handguard forend that allows for quick changing of our proprietary barrels. We now utilize this receiver system on the majority of our rifles and carbines. The MRP is available in two lengths on the 5.56 base platform and one on the 7.62 base platform. Also we offer our patented upper in 3 variations of rail, quad rail, LM8 and MLOK.

MWS: Modular Weapon System – The Modular Weapon system is the acronym given to our 7.62 base platform. Released in 2009, the MWS came chambered in 7.62 Nato and 5 other calibers including 6.5 Creedmoor. The most recent development of the MWS was the addition to the MARS family in with the MARS-H series of rifles. The MWS is now utilized across the world in countries like the UK as the L129A1 DMR rifle and New Zealand.

MARS: Modular Ambidextrous Rifle System – The MARS rifle started its life with our contract with the New Zealand Defence Force. The MARS-L (L for Light) features an ambidextrous bolt catch and mag release. The safety on the MARS is also ambi. This contract requirement became a staple for LMT and now we offer it across our product lines to include the MARS-H (H for Heavy) platforms on our MWS. The MARS lower configuration is so natural to operate, it will make you wonder if that was the way the creators of the AR weapon system intended it to be.

PappyM3
08-27-19, 20:31
58433LMT MWS.

They need to disclose the proprietary pin size and verify comparability. I can verify that the upper does not pin on a MWS Lower.

TM verified via email that they take proprietary pivot and take down pins. They sell the pins on their site. I picked a couple of these up but may sell them and go another route.

This is pretty frustrating. I just got my receiver last week and hadn't really looked at it much yet. But, yup, the pins don't fit. My calipers show that their pin holes are .278"-.279" or so and the LMT pins are .280".

EDIT: Actually, maybe I’ll just see how loose Armalite pins are in this setup. Also, it would be nice of TM to mention the pin size, but it’s not on them that the pins don’t fit with LMT. They say their lower works with Armalite uppers. Everything I read said that Armalite receivers were compatible with LMT/KAC and that Armalite even tested their AR10B lowers with KAC uppers way back when. Never saw it mentioned that the pin sizes were different.

I did have a slight issue with Tactical Machining. After nearly 4 weeks without a word about shipping information, I asked them for a status update since the product was listed as in stock. I very quickly received an automated notification with a tracking number, but they didn't actually respond to me. It was a pretty cold transaction. Now, the lower receiver itself seems pretty good, aside from the pin size issue which isn’t their fault.

Jsp10477
08-28-19, 13:52
These are essentially Diamondback DB-10 receiver sets. From what I’ve gathered, AR10 pins will work. Use Armalite AR10-A LPK. DPMS High rail height and DPMS threads. It saves roughly $125 vs building from Aero M5 sets. They added the proprietary pin size to the lower description.

The ones I have are machined well, have decent upper to lower fit, shitty anodizing, and a few cosmetic blems. About what I expected out of $130 receiver sets. Lol

Bret
10-05-19, 19:15
These receiver sets are now $99 + $7 for the proprietary pins or $39 for just the lower receiver.

Jsp10477
01-24-21, 00:20
I was hesitant but ended up building one of the TM sets. I used a BCM LPK except the Mag catch button and Bolt stop, I used Aero for those. An Armalite RE kit, single ejector MWS bcg, AR15Performance 18” fluted rifle length gas barrel, standard charging handle, and a 15” Centurion Arms handguard round out the rest of the build. The barrel fit snug in the upper, feed ramps lined up, the upper to lower fit is tight, and it drops PMags. I had an old Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12 sitting around so I put it on it.

I wish I had bought 2 of the barrels because it shoots as good as my chrome MWS barrel and is soft in the recoil department without an adjustable gas block choking it down. If these become available again I’ll buy another. The farthest I’ve shot groups with it is 300 yards and it held sub moa, 2 1/4-2 1/2” groups with 168 FGMM. We shot steel out to 700. I didn’t get to measure groups there because there were two other guys shooting the same target. It even shot cheap 150grain Winchester powerpoints moa’ish at 100.

Not counting the BCG, I had about $900 in the build. My dad ended up keeping it and between us we have probably put close to 800 rounds through it with no malfunctions to date. We’ve only used 10 and 20 round PMags but various brands and weights of ammo. It’s nothing special, but considering the horror stories you hear about home brewed large frames, Ill consider a success. I gave one of the sets to my brother in law, and after our success, he’s in the process of scrounging up enough parts for a build now. Hopefully it works out as well as the first.

Jsp10477
01-24-21, 00:20
Double tap.

Bret
01-24-21, 10:37
Jps10477, it's good to hear that you've had a successful build. How about posting some pictures?

Jsp10477
01-24-21, 11:51
I’m at the limit for pics.

Bret
01-25-21, 08:43
www.postimage.org works great and has no limit.

Jsp10477
01-27-21, 11:38
I’m not paying for a pic hosting site. Sorry, too cheap.

DwayneZ
01-27-21, 16:50
www.postimage.org works great and has no limit.

Yeah, but the free uploads will eventually expire even though you select "no expiration". Creating free acct allows one to manage all their uploads.

It's still a good free pic upload site.

Bret
01-27-21, 19:38
I’m not paying for a pic hosting site. Sorry, too cheap.
I'm not paying either. It's free.

Jsp10477
01-27-21, 22:01
https://i.postimg.cc/VLPjx0t7/AC987853-74-B3-4348-BC87-E268-ADF6-C8-EA.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Here was the end result of the first build with the TM10.2 receivers. The only thing I’d change is the stock. He’s happy with it so whatever.

ETA: thanks for the pic hosting info.

Bret
01-27-21, 23:48
Looks great!

DwayneZ
01-28-21, 07:59
https://i.postimg.cc/VLPjx0t7/AC987853-74-B3-4348-BC87-E268-ADF6-C8-EA.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Here was the end result of the first build with the TM10.2 receivers. The only thing I’d change is the stock. He’s happy with it so whatever.

ETA: thanks for the pic hosting info.

Maybe a LaRue RAT stock, or the good 'ol MFT Minimalist.
Nice build.

Jsp10477
01-28-21, 19:57
Maybe a LaRue RAT stock, or the good 'ol MFT Minimalist.
Nice build.

Thank you sir.