PDA

View Full Version : They drilled to far on the pin and weld job.

ak15
05-24-19, 22:34
From the beginning... I purchased an ar15 from a very reputable company new in box from an online retailer, the action was terrible and felt like it had sand poured in it... Even after cleaning and lubing it vigorously. There were definitely some issues with burrs, machining, or something. I decided to contact said company and they actually told me that they wanted me to send it in, I asked if I could get an upgrade to a 14.5 barrel with a pinned comp on my dime and they were happy to do so. Over a month later I received the rifle back, action better, but still pretty bad. I went to clean the rifle and get ready for the range..... That is when I noticed that they drilled straight through my barrel when doing the pin and weld (straight through a land and slightly over either side of it). Again this is a very reputable company that sells high end rifles ($1,600+). I am not going to bash this company online, but I do want to hear peoples opinions. So, what do you guys think? Is this a safety issue, or just an accuracy issue? There does not seem to be anything protruding, but there should be a pin in there somewhere that could eventually pop loose. Obviously I will be contacting them Monday.

dmd08
05-24-19, 23:13
Stupid question....are you sure it's not the gas port you're seeing?

ak15
05-24-19, 23:18
I wish it was, bud. It is at the 6 o'clock position and directly corresponds with the pin. It is a pretty big hole. I wish I knew how to post pictures.

georgeib
05-25-19, 00:21
Yup. Major screw up. Send it back.

mig1nc
05-25-19, 05:22
Dang. Given that they ruined the barrel, I'd try to just get by money back at best, or get the upper completely replaced at worst.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Prestonshooting
05-25-19, 06:26
"from a very reputable company"

Come on, dish!

MistWolf
05-25-19, 07:30
It may affect precision. Maybe not. The gas port of a Garand doesn't affect precision and it's near the muzzle.

Contact the company and let them address the problem.

ak15
05-25-19, 07:50
If they do not handle it like they should... I will definitely put the name out. They were great to deal with the first time around, but I am starting to get a little frustrated. My question is... Do you not thoroughly inspect the work you do?

gaijin
05-25-19, 08:21
Obviously not.

Zero excuse for such poor QC.

Eurodriver
05-25-19, 08:36
I’d never buy a rifle from that company again. Idgaf who it was. That is bad.

Hmac
05-25-19, 08:58
If they do not handle it like they should... I will definitely put the name out. They were great to deal with the first time around, but I am starting to get a little frustrated. My question is... Do you not thoroughly inspect the work you do?

Yeah, double failure. That it happened in the first place, and that they didn't inspect it before they sent it. Now to see if they're going to go for a triple failure and fail to bend over backward to make this right. Generally, the upper-tier gun companies are pretty customer-service oriented so I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't fall all over themselves to correct this.

ABNAK
05-25-19, 09:19
Can't you tell the "feel" of no more resistance when you've drilled completely through something? From your pic it looks pretty cleaned up too, i.e. no visible burrs or anything. Makes me wonder if someone was like "Oh shit, I better dress this up". Maybe a new guy who didn't want to get head-smacked for screwing up a barrel?

georgeib
05-25-19, 09:51
Can't you tell the "feel" of no more resistance when you've drilled completely through something? From your pic it looks pretty cleaned up too, i.e. no visible burrs or anything. Makes me wonder if someone was like "Oh shit, I better dress this up". Maybe a new guy who didn't want to get head-smacked for screwing up a barrel?

Was thinking the same.

lordmorgul
05-25-19, 09:52
I’d say you’re lucky to have seen this, many consumers wouldn’t have, they also could have ended up pushing the pin too deep and let it block bore and that would have been catastrophic failure.

I wouldn’t shoot that. Without knowing the pin press fit is sufficient or certain that the pin end is actually captured in the weld itself rather than just blocked by the weld bead, there is a possibility of the pin moving into bore over time and thermal cycles.

Edit: One thing about this (if the above is validated) is that with a thru hole the pin could be slightly longer and more engagement than if there is a drill point at the base of the hole. And it shouldn’t hurt accuracy once sharp edge of the hole is worn slightly. I’d expect a shop to drill first and then use an end mill to clear the hole to precise size and squared bottom just shy of the bore depth by some amount (how much to prevent cracking in the bore I don’t know, a thin wall in the bore there would also be an issue). If the pin doesn’t have enough engagement it could be twisted off by zealous enough (read: torque bar) agents trying to prove its inadequately permanently installed.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

ViniVidivici
05-25-19, 10:05
Yipes that is bad.

AKDoug
05-25-19, 10:21
I am curious about your initial opinion that the action felt bad. What "action"? Working the charging handle, the trigger, or both? I've owned some "top tier" rifles that had a "gritty" feeling cycling action that cleared up in short order. They all cycled fine so I shot the hell out of them. On mil spec triggers, I don't expect anything to be good no matter who they come from.

As for that barrel, there is no excuse for that hole being all the way through unless that is how they do it and they have a technical reason for doing so.

MistWolf
05-25-19, 10:49
None of us were there. None of us have any idea what happened. As a technician with over three decades of training and experience, I will tell you the only person who never makes a mistake is the one who never does anything. The mistake could be the result of something as simple as a brain fart. It could been cause by fatigue, distraction, complacency or the brain misplacing a decimal point. It could have been cause incompetence, but the mistake doesn't mean incompetence is the cause. Armorers, machinists, mechanics and other craftsmen work hard at their trade to get it right every time and when we don't, it hurts our pride. No one is harder on us about our mistakes than we ourselves are. When a mistake is made, we analyze what happens and take steps to prevent it from happening in the first place. There are exceptions, but most people take pride in what they do and strive to give the customer a good product.

I thought we had more respect for ourselves than be so quick to judge someone who isn't even here to defend their self, with so few facts and before giving them a chance to respond to the problem.

markm
05-25-19, 10:57
Millenials are starting to work in manufacturing now huh? :lol:

Wake27
05-25-19, 11:30
"from a very reputable company"

Come on, dish!

Pretty sure the forum rules require him to contact the company and let them make it right first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ak15
05-25-19, 12:27
I am curious about your initial opinion that the action felt bad. What "action"? Working the charging handle, the trigger, or both? I've owned some "top tier" rifles that had a "gritty" feeling cycling action that cleared up in short order. They all cycled fine so I shot the hell out of them. On mil spec triggers, I don't expect anything to be good no matter who they come from.

As for that barrel, there is no excuse for that hole being all the way through unless that is how they do it and they have a technical reason for doing so.

All I can say is that it was very bad. I am generally not one to complain and I do shoot the crap out of all my firearms. There were certainly some machining errors somewhere and they agreed that it was in no way normal or up to their standards. They actually encouraged me to send it in, I initially just called them to express my minor concerns.

None of us were there. None of us have any idea what happened. As a technician with over three decades of training and experience, I will tell you the only person who never makes a mistake is the one who never does anything. The mistake could be the result of something as simple as a brain fart. It could been cause by fatigue, distraction, complacency or the brain misplacing a decimal point. It could have been cause incompetence, but the mistake doesn't mean incompetence is the cause. Armorers, machinists, mechanics and other craftsmen work hard at their trade to get it right every time and when we don't, it hurts our pride. No one is harder on us about our mistakes than we ourselves are. When a mistake is made, we analyze what happens and take steps to prevent it from happening in the first place. There are exceptions, but most people take pride in what they do and strive to give the customer a good product.

I thought we had more respect for ourselves than be so quick to judge someone who isn't even here to defend their self, with so few facts and before giving them a chance to respond to the problem.

I definitely agree. Again, I am not here to bash anyone. I just wanted opinions from all you guys on the adverse effects of such an error. I am a huge fan of 14.5 pinned barrels on my ar's, I own and have owned a large amount of them... I have never seen or heard of this happening.

By the way... I appreciate all the feedback that you guys have given.

26 Inf
05-25-19, 13:00

As far as the last statement, is this your first day on the forums? ;)

I agree totally with what you are saying, the problem I have is no disclosure - I thought the same as several others, that the guy doing the pin and weld didn't want to get in trouble. If he did the Q&C on the project as well, the argument then is about the companies internal practices.

I had a slide off for work at a pretty well-known shop. I get a call from the guy one day saying that the only charge was for the sights as he had violated one of his own rules and allowing folks in the machine room and was BS'ing with a buddy as he milled the dovetail. The result was that he milled the wrong dovetail - IIRC a Novak cut for a Heinie rear. He explained how he had safely welded the the dovetail and then milled the proper dovetail.

When I received the slide, I closely examined it (without removing the sight) and I couldn't tell what had been done. So, the guy hadn't needed to tell on himself and could have charged me full price with me still being very happy. For that reason I have sent other work his way without hesitation.

That, IMO, is the way this should have been handled, unless, as mentioned, the person doing the work didn't disclose the error to management.

MistWolf
05-25-19, 16:21
I agree totally with what you are saying, the problem I have is no disclosure - I thought the same as several others, that the guy doing the pin and weld didn't want to get in trouble.
That may be true. But if we handle the discussion of such in an unprofessional manner and with rancor, we're no better.

I've been putting up with the same type of hyper-critical bullying at work from a couple of guys and the last two weeks have been particularly trying.

I'm heading down to the basement to see if there's a project that can be worked by hitting it repeatedly with a large hammer.

Nothing personal.

26 Inf
05-25-19, 17:57
I've been putting up with the same type of hyper-critical bullying at work from a couple of guys and the last two weeks have been particularly trying.

Nothing personal.

Not taken as such.

I got some problems. also.

I know how to get to Utah, could you make a trip to Kansas with a shovel and some quik-lime while I'm on 'vacation' in Utah?

JUST KIDDING pretty sure my problem is leaving town soon, daughters sometimes make poor choices kind of deal.

turnburglar
05-25-19, 18:16
I would be pissed if I was you.

2 of my PSA builds cycle flawlessly after I threw out the bad charging handle. So for a $1600 rifle I would demand a reasonable fit and tolerances in the gun. That's what the extra money is supposed to go to: testing and inspecting the new build.

The fact that the rifle was a go-back and they didnt really solve the chief complaint is bad. Drilling through the barrel during the pin and weld is a absolute no-go for me. I would probably be asking for a full refund and find a new assembler. I know it sounds a little harsh but alot of other builders dont take 3 trys.

ak15
05-25-19, 18:30
I would be pissed if I was you.

2 of my PSA builds cycle flawlessly after I threw out the bad charging handle. So for a $1600 rifle I would demand a reasonable fit and tolerances in the gun. That's what the extra money is supposed to go to: testing and inspecting the new build.

The fact that the rifle was a go-back and they didnt really solve the chief complaint is bad. Drilling through the barrel during the pin and weld is a absolute no-go for me. I would probably be asking for a full refund and find a new assembler. I know it sounds a little harsh but alot of other builders dont take 3 trys.

The fact that the gun was so expensive is why it even went back the first time, I figured I would get some guys bashing me for saying I sent it back due to a ''gritty action''. Gritty was putting it lightly, but I could understand it... if it were a cheap gun. I agree with you 100%, obviously. If I'm paying kac, noveske, larue, lwrc, etc. Prices, I expect it to be a step or 10 above Anderson, psa, aero, etc.. Again, I really appreciate the positive feedback from everyone.

Hmac
05-25-19, 19:18

People make mistakes. I think the point is that a quality company would go out of their way to make sure that it’s not the customer that discovers them. It’s fundamental IMHO that this barrel should have been inspected somewhere along the line between the technician that drilled it and the rifle being picked up by the customer. I can understand the technician screwing up the barrel. I can’t understand him not inspecting his work after doing the job.

vicious_cb
05-25-19, 19:50
I’d never buy a rifle from that company again. Idgaf who it was. That is bad.

Same. I dont care if you "make it right" afterwards, if you make dumbass mistakes on potentially life saving gear then you deserve to get your shit pushed in.

What do you think happened when I made the "indestructible" reliabolt fail? I dont care what their excuse is, "bad heat blah blah blah" IDGF, I will never buy your bolt again and will tell others to never buy your bolt. Sorry, your job should be on the line when making potential life saving gear.

artoter
05-25-19, 20:51
I wish it was, bud. It is at the 6 o'clock position and directly corresponds with the pin. It is a pretty big hole. I wish I knew how to post pictures.

Wow, I'm no gunsmith, and even I would have spotted that like a sore thumb. Damn.

hk_shootr
05-26-19, 06:50
This botched job is completely unacceptable.
Mistakes happen, but anyone in a machine or fab shop knows to measure twice, cut once.
This did not happen, nor did the technician check his/her work.
Ive pinned and welded a few devices. You have to drill damn far to punch into the bore.

vicious_cb
05-26-19, 09:00
Pretty sure the forum rules require him to contact the company and let them make it right first.

Did you see the pic? Pure retardation like this should be exempted

ak15
05-26-19, 09:52
I have spoke to them (email). I asked if I could just send the complete rifle back and they ship me a new one, that way I would probably get it quicker and I'm about fed up with the one I have. They essentially said ''We currently build our rifles to order, our best bet is to rebarrel your upper. We have pin and welded our rifles countless times, this has never happened before. We will send you out a shipping shipping label so you can return the upper and we will rebarrel/pin and weld it. Let us know if there is anything we can do to make this right. We will make this right.'' Not an exact direct quote, but that completely sums it up. I'm not even sure what to say back. One side of me is thinking that I do not want to come off as wanting something for free, the other side is thinking that I could use a few free accessories for my patience with the BS. I think I forgot to mention in my first post that when I originally sent the rifle back, as always I sent it back the way I had received it. I sent the manuals, accessories, mag, ''swag'', etc. All i got back was a lonely ar with nothing there to keep it company on its journey. I mentioned that and he said he will get those sent out Monday.

GH41
05-26-19, 10:04
This botched job is completely unacceptable.
Mistakes happen, but anyone in a machine or fab shop knows to measure twice, cut once.
This did not happen, nor did the technician check his/her work.
Ive pinned and welded a few devices. You have to drill damn far to punch into the bore.

Anyone doing this for a living is using a mill. Sounds like a math error was made to me.

Hmac
05-26-19, 10:14
One side of me is thinking that I do not want to come off as wanting something for free, the other side is thinking that I could use a few free accessories for my patience with the BS. I

I think you should keep it classy and go with that side of you. If they offer extras, great. If not, it would seem cheap (to me) to feel like you deserved some kind of compensation.

I certainly would tell them that you want the manuals and other stuff that you sent back to them when you returned it.

vicious_cb
05-26-19, 10:14
Anyone doing this for a living is using a mill. Sounds like a math error was made to me.

A math error is fine. Not taking the time to look down bore with a flashlight that would have taken 30secs is not. It speaks of laziness and lack of QC. What other problems do you think might be lurking with their rifles if someone cant be bothered to take 30 secs to look down the bore? THATS WHAT WORRIES ME. Something that might manifest 1000 rounds later and deadline my rifle when I need it the most.

ak15
05-26-19, 10:31
I think you should keep it classy and go with that side of you. If they offer extras, great. If not, it would seem cheap (to me) to feel like you deserved some kind of compensation.

I certainly would tell them that you want the manuals and other stuff that you sent back to them when you returned it.

I definitely agree, the only reason I was considering saying ''hey you can throw in a xxxxxxxxxxx for my troubles'' is the fact he said ''let us know of there is anything we can do to make it right''. I put the x's there because I am not trying to drop hints on who the company is. But, I do think you are right... Keep it classy. Personally, if it were my company I would offer a couple hundred bucks credit on my website or something. Either way, I just want to get this god forsaken rifle to the range and shoot the piss out of it.

26 Inf
05-26-19, 14:28
I definitely agree, the only reason I was considering saying ''hey you can throw in a xxxxxxxxxxx for my troubles'' is the fact he said ''let us know of there is anything we can do to make it right''.

I would have offered you something - maybe a partial refund - maybe as big a discount as I could afford on another purchase - definitely some SWAG.

In that vein, if you are of the mind that mistakes happen, I might just ask what they could do for a discount on my next purchase - obviously not something you'd want to do if you are done with the company.

ak15
05-26-19, 14:33
Here's a question I do not the answer to. If they make it right and I have nothing but good to say about how this company handled it... Can I then say who it is and express how well they handled it? I can see there being two justifiable sides to this question.

Wake27
05-26-19, 15:17
Here's a question I do not the answer to. If they make it right and I have nothing but good to say about how this company handled it... Can I then say who it is and express how well they handled it? I can see there being two justifiable sides to this question.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve seen an issue with that here. The rule I mentioned was to prevent people from bashing a company for a problem before they’d even reached out to that company to see what they would say. I think it’s encouraged to post the response and overall opinion of how it was resolved (good or bad), the mods just want to make sure that the company is offered the chance to make it right before people go crazy.

ak15
05-26-19, 15:24
Yeah I don’t think I’ve seen an issue with that here. The rule I mentioned was to prevent people from bashing a company for a problem before they’d even reached out to that company to see what they would say. I think it’s encouraged to post the response and overall opinion of how it was resolved (good or bad), the mods just want to make sure that the company is offered the chance to make it right before people go crazy.

Completely understandable. I will definitely update the thread for those who are interested.

MistWolf
05-26-19, 18:32
...I'm not even sure what to say back...

You say "Thank you for taking care of this for me. I'll get the upper sent off as soon as I get the shipping label."

I got the chance to meet and talk to a few people in the industry and was surprised when a couple I met for the first time said "MistWolf from M4C. Yeah, I know who you are." They do pay attention to who posts what on the forums even if they don't post themselves.

ak15
05-26-19, 19:33
[QUOTE=MistWolf;2738295]You say "Thank you for taking care of this for me. I'll get the upper sent off as soon as I get the shipping label."

I got the chance to meet and talk to a few people in the industry and was surprised when a couple I met for the first time said "MistWolf from M4C. Yeah, I know who you are." They do pay attention to who posts what on the forums even if they don't post themselves.[/QUOTE

What I meant by that was that I wasn't sure whether or not to express just how pissed I was about the situation. In my opinion, there were two ways to go about it, essentially say what you said, or tell them how I really felt. I chose to not express how upset I was with the situation. I do agree with you, you never know who is lurking in the forums. I have nothing to hide, though. Even if I never buy another ar from this company... I will still be a customer for life. Also, the two guys I have dealt with through all this have been proffesional and never acted as if I were a bother to them. As for the original issue I had with the rifle, a lot of companies would have said ''go shoot it, if it doesn't work, then send it in''. They were more than happy for me to send the rifle in.

MistWolf
05-26-19, 20:07
What I meant by that was that I wasn't sure whether or not to express just how pissed I was about the situation. In my opinion, there were two ways to go about it, essentially say what you said, or tell them how I really felt. I chose to not express how upset I was with the situation. I do agree with you, you never know who is lurking in the forums. I have nothing to hide, though. Even if I never buy another ar from this company... I will still be a customer for life. Also, the two guys I have dealt with through all this have been proffesional and never acted as if I were a bother to them. As for the original issue I had with the rifle, a lot of companies would have said ''go shoot it, if it doesn't work, then send it in''. They were more than happy for me to send the rifle in.

Nothing wrong with expressing your displeasure, but if you do, be forthright and professional.

Being aware that others are lurking and conducting oneself accordingly isn't about having something to hide. It's about not embarrassing oneself in public. Don't pick your nose and wipe it on the table at the company picnic:jester:

I want to add that I think you handled it well.

arptsprt
05-26-19, 20:09
Any reputable company with any inkling of good customer service understandS you are pissed. There is nothing wrong with expressing your frustration but handling it in a firm, professional manner usually results in a better outcome. Think, “a spoon full of sugar goes down easier than a spoon full of salt” approach.

I personally would be satisfied with the new barrel replacement. My ask would have been free expedited shipping there and back and expedited work to get it done. Mistakes and lemons happen, and so long as a company makes it right, I’m still mindful they have a business to run.

The most extreme gun related screw up I’ve had was a doozy. An out of spec lower on a factory SBR. Not only did I have to wait for first NFA approval process for nearly a year, the only fix for the lower was to replace it. That meant another almost 10 months for the replacement. Was I pissed? Yep. Very frustrated too. They knew it but I wasn’t a dick and we worked through it together. They paid the extra $200 for the extra tax stamp. That was their olive branch. Actually, the customer service rep went so far and beyond on her own accord, I ended up buying and sending her and her husband a gift certificate at a local restaurant in her town as a thank you. Stuff happens and they stepped up as best they could. I won’t say the company but it is a two name company both starting with D.

ak15
05-26-19, 20:19
Nothing wrong with expressing your displeasure, but if you do, be forthright and professional.

Being aware that others are lurking and conducting oneself accordingly isn't about having something to hide. It's about not embarrassing oneself in public. Don't pick your nose and wipe it on the table at the company picnic:jester:

I want to add that I think you handled it well.

I appreciate the kind words, bud. I also appreciate the advice.

ak15
05-26-19, 20:36
Any reputable company with any inkling of good customer service understandS you are pissed. There is nothing wrong with expressing your frustration but handling it in a firm, professional manner usually results in a better outcome. Think, “a spoon full of sugar goes down easier than a spoon full of salt” approach.

I personally would be satisfied with the new barrel replacement. My ask would have been free expedited shipping there and back and expedited work to get it done. Mistakes and lemons happen, and so long as a company makes it right, I’m still mindful they have a business to run.

The most extreme gun related screw up I’ve had was a doozy. An out of spec lower on a factory SBR. Not only did I have to wait for first NFA approval process for nearly a year, the only fix for the lower was to replace it. That meant another almost 10 months for the replacement. Was I pissed? Yep. Very frustrated too. They knew it but I wasn’t a dick and we worked through it together. They paid the extra $200 for the extra tax stamp. That was their olive branch. Actually, the customer service rep went so far and beyond on her own accord, I ended up buying and sending her and her husband a gift certificate at a local restaurant in her town as a thank you. Stuff happens and they stepped up as best they could. I won’t say the company but it is a two name company both starting with D.

Yeah, that is quite a bit more serious than my issue, you handled like a true champ. I will say that as far as features and overall design at its price point... I liked this ar better than my sr15 16'' (not knocking the kac at all). If all goes well when I get it back and put it through its paces... I will probably buy more firearms from them. I always strive to be a patient, understanding, and courteous man.

Hmac
05-26-19, 22:56

If they are a reputable company, I'm sure that they're as embarrassed as you are pissed and there's nothing you can say to them that will make them feel any worse, if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

Suck it up. Shrug and drive on.

Eurodriver
05-27-19, 05:59
You say "Thank you for taking care of this for me. I'll get the upper sent off as soon as I get the shipping label."

I got the chance to meet and talk to a few people in the industry and was surprised when a couple I met for the first time said "MistWolf from M4C. Yeah, I know who you are." They do pay attention to who posts what on the forums even if they don't post themselves.

Oh man.

I was at a national PRS match and the guy organizing it noticed my rifle and said “Hey Eurodriver” and just walked away right before a stage.

Kind of creeped me out.

hk_shootr
05-27-19, 06:57

Very good point, poor choice of wording on my part. Thank you for the correction.

ABNAK
05-27-19, 07:47

Not to sidetrack the thread but couldn't they re-issue another lower with the same serial number as the original and bypass another tax stamp and the accompanying wait?

arptsprt
05-27-19, 08:16
That was the solution my Class 3 dealer and I originally proposed but ATF does not allow it. IIRC, the Regs changed shortly before this happened. We questioned it but DD provided the statutory language that proved they were right. I think I saved it in my documentation.

Anyway, this was nearly 7 years ago. Ironically (at least I find it ironic), I received the first stamp and picked up the Mk18 the same day as the Sandy Hook shooting.

Not to sidetrack the thread but couldn't they re-issue another lower with the same serial number as the original and bypass another tax stamp and the accompanying wait?

tehpwnag3
05-30-19, 09:07
I agree with the sensible approach. If the company is offering to make it right, being pissy isn't going to make it even more right. If they do make it right with you, I wouldn't post the name. I would ask for everything you sent back though. However, if what they send back to you doesn't completely delight you (within reason), then I would be having one of those lawyer-like conversations with their management and, at that point, THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT. It wasn't long ago that I had to deal with an out-of-spec lower and it was like pulling teeth to get that right. I actually had to threaten to get the guy who's name was on the roll mark involved since he had this "If you're not satisfied, I'm not satisfied" guarantee on his website with his picture and signature and everything. When I threw that in their face, everything changed. Good luck, sir.