PDA

View Full Version : BCM Receiver Extension Question

captdreifus
05-27-19, 12:27
So I was doing my monthly AR checkup today, being a holiday and all. I noticed on one of my factory BCM lowers that the RE has several "cracks" or machining marks all around it. I wiped down the RE with CLP and the lines did not go away, as I thought it was plastic shavings from the stock. Will this cause problems down the line? I'll try to affix a picture. The lines do no look very deep but has the markings on the entire circumference of the RE.

Thanks for your input. Enjoy your Memorial Day.

Updated with clearer picture.

****UPDATE****

After several e-mails back and forth of me asking questions, BCM sent me a shipping label (2 day UPS) to have the lower inspected. The lower was at BCM for approximately one day, and they had fixed the issue.

I sent an e-mail and inquired what had been done. BCM stated that the original RE was in spec but they had switched it out for another. I also had a Troy sling mount attached to the RE which the allen bolt was rounded. They removed it. They also installed their QD endplate for me.

Basically BCM went above and beyond to put my mind at ease. I can't thank them enough.

wigbones
05-27-19, 12:39
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like anything that would cause problems.

captdreifus
05-27-19, 12:41
The speckles in the red circle are small "cracks" /lines.

lsllc
05-27-19, 12:44
If they were cracks it would be a major concern. But I can’t identify any cracks. What it looks like is anodizing. I think it would be prudent to upload better photos perhaps. Drag your fingernail across, can you catch your nail on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdreifus
05-27-19, 12:50
Updated OP with new picture.

RHINOWSO
05-27-19, 13:03
Call BCM and cutout the middle man.

captdreifus
05-27-19, 13:09
I was going to contact BCM if it was indeed a problem. Wanted to verify on here first that it was a problem. Could be normal for all I know.

GH41
05-27-19, 15:20
Call BCM and cutout the middle man.

Per the rules he should have done that before naming names.

AKDoug
05-27-19, 15:26
Piss poor extrusion. I doubt they are very deep and probably won't effect performance, but still not good.

MSW
05-27-19, 17:01
Piss poor extrusion. I doubt they are very deep and probably won't effect performance, but still not good.

I thought mil-spec are machined, not extruded?

AKDoug
05-27-19, 23:23

From what I've read, I believe that mil-spec is hammer extruded.. kinda like a hammer forged barrel. I could be wrong, though.

AKDoug
05-27-19, 23:34

Did a little more research. One source says Colts' are forged then machined. That might explain why this one looks like it the victim of galling from the machining process.

captdreifus
05-28-19, 01:20
Obviously I’m a long time lurker and did not follow the rules. I contacted BCM and we shall see what they have to say.

MSW
05-28-19, 05:04
Did a little more research. One source says Colts' are forged then machined. That might explain why this one looks like it the victim of galling from the machining process.

Thank you. The forging, then machining would explain the cracks. Good to know.

sgtrock82
05-28-19, 06:23
I have a vltor RE that has the same tiny cracks. I got it many years ago during one of the great "panics". It didnt see much use being on a back up gun but now resides in the spares bin. I always wondered if this was a serious defect, finding a replacement at the time was problematic so I went with it till I could replace it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

hk_shootr
05-28-19, 07:44
I don't see cracks. I see voids from the forging process, would suspect the extension was too cool. When the billet or dies are not hot enough, the alloy is not as mailable, it starts to tear. It’s quite possible these are the marks you are seeing.

bamashooter
05-28-19, 08:46
Obviously I’m a long time lurker and did not follow the rules. I contacted BCM and we shall see what they have to say.

Looks minor to nothing to me. I'm sure you did the right thing contacting BCM. BTW, I can't find any rule violation. I find the rules but not one that would have been violated short of of a very, very, loose interpretation.* I see you posting an observation, asking for other to take a look. Would like to see the specific rule please. Thanks.

* "4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it."

556Cliff
05-28-19, 09:45
Milspec receiver extensions are hammer extruded, I'm not sure if that's a type of forging or not.

There was a video of the process somewhere on YouTube showing Colt carbine REs being hammer extruded.

tehpwnag3
05-28-19, 16:38
I have to agree. Those marks are in the tube, not the anodizing. Seen it before .

tehpwnag3
05-28-19, 16:40
I can't find the video but it was a surprisingly quick process, and worth posting in this thread for all to see.

Milspec receiver extensions are hammer extruded, I'm not sure if that's a type of forging or not.

There was a video of the process somewhere on YouTube showing Colt carbine REs being hammer extruded.

Sry0fcr
05-28-19, 16:51
I don't see cracks. I see voids from the forging process, would suspect the extension was too cool. When the billet or dies are not hot enough, the alloy is not as mailable, it starts to tear. It’s quite possible these are the marks you are seeing.

I'm seeing voids as well. Would not pass muster in any of my shops.

CPM
05-28-19, 18:13
Nope.

556Cliff
05-28-19, 18:33
I can't find the video but it was a surprisingly quick process, and worth posting in this thread for all to see.

I think I found the video. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_RswsPCjo

lsllc
05-28-19, 18:33
Second photo is much more clear. Looks like that’s a bad forging. Contact customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tehpwnag3
05-29-19, 09:20
The one I recall was a horizontal fixture, but the end result was the same. Thanks for posting that!

I think I found the video. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_RswsPCjo

sgtrock82
05-29-19, 17:39
I don't see cracks. I see voids from the forging process, would suspect the extension was too cool. When the billet or dies are not hot enough, the alloy is not as mailable, it starts to tear. It’s quite possible these are the marks you are seeing.Thank you, "voids" is a much better word choice
I think I found the video. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_RswsPCjoFascinating! Thanks for posting this video, not at all how I thought it might work.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
06-01-19, 03:47
Closed until the OP reports back from BCM.

captdreifus
06-13-19, 09:47
See OP for update. BCM is awesome!!!