PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Hoppes Bore Snake Stuck in Rifle Barrel

Rogue7a
05-31-19, 14:24
Step 1. Don't use Hoppes Bore Snakes or similar items.

Step 2. Don’t pull harder, you’ll just make it worse.

Step 3. Get USGI steel cleaning rods and attach enough sections to reach the stoppage.

Step 4. Heat end of cleaning rod to one hundred billion degrees.

Step 5. From the chamber forward, push super heated rod into the stoppage and slowly twist until it passes through. You'll feel the pop.

Step 6. Pull Bore Snake out, throw in trash with the tofu your wife bought.

T2C
05-31-19, 14:26
What size bore snake did you use? What caliber was the rifle?

markm
05-31-19, 14:26

More important than the 4 firearms safety rules! :p

jpmuscle
05-31-19, 14:37
If you had used zip ties this all could have been avoided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tehpwnag3
05-31-19, 14:58
Step 1 ruins all the fun.

noonesshowmonkey
05-31-19, 15:27

Step 2. Don’t pull harder, you’ll just make it worse.

Step 3. Get USGI steel cleaning rods and attach enough sections to reach the stoppage.

Step 4. Heat end of cleaning rod to one hundred billion degrees.

Step 5. From the chamber forward, push super heated rod into the stoppage and slowly twist until it passes through. You'll feel the pop.

Step 6. Pull Bore Snake out, throw in trash with the tofu your wife bought.

This contains much wisdom across manifold subsections of life.

26 Inf
05-31-19, 15:34
How did you come to do that?

Just in case:

https://gunnewsdaily.com/how-to-use-a-bore-snake/

Rogue7a
05-31-19, 15:43
If you had used zip ties this all could have been avoided

I see what you did there lol

Rogue7a
05-31-19, 15:47
What size bore snake did you use? What caliber was the rifle?

Well, considering it’s an 11” HK416A5 upper, one would surmise that as a SME I would and did use a 5.56 Bore Snake lol

Rogue7a
05-31-19, 15:52
How did you come to do that?

I believe it suffered some material failure (though it was pretty new) which caused a tension knot where the bristles are. I tried hooking it with a pic. No joy. Pulling on it only made it worse. But that white hot cleaning rod did the trick in about 3 seconds.

lsllc
05-31-19, 16:57
GI cleaning rods are bullshit.

Use a one piece coated cleaning rod.

AndyLate
05-31-19, 17:02
GI cleaning rods are bullshit.

Use a one piece coated cleaning rod.

Did you miss the part where it was heated white hot and used to melt through a boresnake?

lsllc
05-31-19, 17:03
Did you miss the part where it was heated white hot and used to melt through a boresnake?

That may be the only appropriate use of one. ;)

I’m just making statements in general.

Eurodriver
05-31-19, 17:26
Fun fact - the hottest man made temp ever is 9,900,000,000,000°F

AndyLate
05-31-19, 17:30
That may be the only appropriate use of one. ;)

I’m just making statements in general.

After I posted I was wondering if there was some hilarious joke that everyone else got (the zip ties went over my head for sure).

Hammer_Man
05-31-19, 17:37
I had a similar experience with an Otis Ripcord. I chalked that up to a one time thing, and bought another. I still have some hesitation about using it, but if it ever gets stuck again, I'll just hit reverse and pull from the chamber end.

GH41
05-31-19, 18:08
The OP's story smells to me.

Amicus
05-31-19, 18:12
Personally, I think that bore snakes make for an adequate substitute for patches used after scrubbing with a brush. But, if you use a snake that has a scrubbing portion that is shorter than your barrel and chamber, then you run the risk of having the pull cord portion snap off when the scrubbing portion is sompletely in the barrel. Do so at your own risk, and don't use pistol length snakes in rifle barrels.

boss_hawg
05-31-19, 18:50
Never had this happen with an Otis Ripcord.

I’ve broken several boresnakes and don’t use them anymore except for 12 and 20 gauge.

SteveL
05-31-19, 19:35
I'm curious if this was one of the Viper style or not. I don't know if it's valid or not but I've heard they're more prone to this very problem for some reason.

26 Inf
05-31-19, 20:51
Well, considering it’s an 11” HK416A5 upper, one would surmise that as a SME I would and did use a 5.56 Bore Snake lol

Well, of course, as you are an SME one shouldn't have dare broached the subject.

T2C - No soup for you.

AndyLate
05-31-19, 21:15
In all fairness, members are not obviously identified as SMES in the default mobile view, you have to view their profile. SMEs are clearly identified in the full view

Andy

jpmuscle
05-31-19, 21:42
Fun fact - the hottest man made temp ever is 9,900,000,000,000°F

Needs more Rayos number

Dr. Bullseye
06-01-19, 00:01
When i was using a Viper there was always cord either fore or aft if this thing got stuck. What length bore do you have? I stopped using the Viper and in place use a $2.47 (free shipping) Chinese bore snake which does a better job, doesn't get stuck and is much cheaper. Originally, this was my backup and now I'll be ordering more. Take a flashlight and look down the barrel if you don't think bore snakes do the job.

jsbhike
06-01-19, 05:49
I'm curious if this was one of the Viper style or not. I don't know if it's valid or not but I've heard they're more prone to this very problem for some reason.

A longer bristled brush area combined with a much, much smaller diameter pull cord is my guess. I made mine in to a chain sinnet so it is easier to grab.

T2C
06-01-19, 09:02

I did not see that in the original post.

I've been using Bore Snakes for years. I'll have to watch out for problems from this point forward.

26 Inf
06-01-19, 12:23
In all fairness, members are not obviously identified as SMES in the default mobile view, you have to view their profile. SMEs are clearly identified in the full view

Andy

I don't understand if you are offering an excuse for T2C in not paying proper deference by asking a simple question. Even though it is not my place to say so, I appreciate you taking the role of peacekeeper.

However, I think it was kind of arrogant, no I know it was arrogant, to reply to T2C in that matter. What is this, kiss the ring?

I wasn't familiar with the OP so I looked at his posts, and I didn't get a solid feel for what the OP is SME of. Probably because I got bored by all the EE listings.

26 Inf
06-01-19, 12:27
When i was using a Viper there was always cord either fore or aft if this thing got stuck. What length bore do you have? I stopped using the Viper and in place use a $2.47 (free shipping) Chinese bore snake which does a better job, doesn't get stuck and is much cheaper. Originally, this was my backup and now I'll be ordering more. Take a flashlight and look down the barrel if you don't think bore snakes do the job.

I was embarrassed to post that I use those Amazon wonders. Really cant tell the difference, other than I toss them without much effort to clean them.

AndyLate
06-01-19, 12:42
I don't understand if you are offering an excuse for T2C in not paying proper deference by asking a simple question. Even though it is not my place to say so, I appreciate you taking the role of peacekeeper.

However, I think it was kind of arrogant, no I know it was arrogant, to reply to T2C in that matter. What is this, kiss the ring?

I wasn't familiar with the OP so I looked at his posts, and I didn't get a solid feel for what the OP is SME of. Probably because I got bored by all the EE listings.

I was simply pointing out that anyone using the default mobile view is unaware of a poster's SME status. I know that I don't normally "drill down" into a member's profile before posting, maybe I should.

I'm not making excuses for anyone.

Andy

tehpwnag3
06-03-19, 09:48
Besides the OP's clear abuse of the product, do bore snakes actually work well in effectively cleaning a barrel (and chamber)? Anyone scope a bore before and after?

lsllc
06-03-19, 10:04
Besides the OP's clear abuse of the product, do bore snakes actually work well in effectively cleaning a barrel (and chamber)? Anyone scope a bore before and after?

They don’t work as well as a thorough cleaning with an actual brush, jags, and patches.

However, people tend to over-clean their bores. Cleaning was a real thing back in the days of corrosive primers/caps and black powder. Non-corrosive primers and smokeless powder eliminated the need for white-glove clean firearms but that false mantra seems to have been instilled from generation to generation.

06-03-19, 10:21

They don’t do a whole lot. I use them sometimes because I’m lazy and I don’t shoot benchrest matches. I put a couple drops of CLP on and ahead of the brushes and pull it through like 3-5 times. It comes out of the bore dirtier, so it does remove some carbon. I doubt it removes any copper.

If I actually want the bore to be clean for whatever reason, I use jags.

tehpwnag3
06-03-19, 13:24
I have a couple that I use on my .22LR rifle. I can't run a rod from the breech end without removing the stock from the barreled action, so I do the same thing with some Hoppe's 9 to break up the powder and lead (obviously, copper is not a real concern). To clean the chamber, I bend a .22cal bronze brush into a 90 and use that. With an AR, I use a standard chamber brush and some light rod and patch cleaning.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

They don’t do a whole lot. I use them sometimes because I’m lazy and I don’t shoot benchrest matches. I put a couple drops of CLP on and ahead of the brushes and pull it through like 3-5 times. It comes out of the bore dirtier, so it does remove some carbon. I doubt it removes any copper.

If I actually want the bore to be clean for whatever reason, I use jags.

They don’t work as well as a thorough cleaning with an actual brush, jags, and patches.

However, people tend to over-clean their bores. Cleaning was a real thing back in the days of corrosive primers/caps and black powder. Non-corrosive primers and smokeless powder eliminated the need for white-glove clean firearms but that false mantra seems to have been instilled from generation to generation.

scottryan
06-11-19, 15:45
Boresnake = completely retarded

Why do you need a boresnake in the first place?

Why does a rifle barrel need to be cleaned in the field with this flexible apparatus?

If field expedient cleaning is required due to mud or rain water, then why isn't a USGI cleaning rod good enough?

06-11-19, 16:02
Boresnake = completely retarded

Why do you need a boresnake in the first place?

Why does a rifle barrel need to be cleaned in the field with this flexible apparatus?

If field expedient cleaning is required due to mud or rain water, then why isn't a USGI cleaning rod good enough?

OP was probably issued one, as was I. Heck, I used one today.
In my case, it was sand and pond water, and I’m too lazy to assemble a janky apparatus and then thread a patch through an eye with the hangover shakes.