PDA

View Full Version : Fix this or leave it?

No Bananas
06-01-19, 23:06
A while back I got a 12.5” Noveske chrome lined barrel - the gas block install was monumentally more difficult than anticipated. I smacked the bottom of the gas block more than a few times, and yes, ended up putting a sharpie to it to cover up my embarrassment. I finally, barely, got the pin through. No matter how hard I pounded with my biggest hammer and roll pin punches, I couldn’t get in in any further.

Put a few hundred flawless rounds through it, accuracy is about 1 MOA, and I didn’t shoot it for a while. Recently, I took it out and put a few hundred more rounds through it - everything from surplus 5.56 to PMC and match ammo. It has never malfunctioned (carbine spring and H2 buffer).

Every few boxes of ammo (regardless of type), I’d get a wild group - like 4” at 50 yds. I have a CMC 3.5 lb trigger and usually do my part shooting from the bench. These big groups left me scratching my head a bit, and I’m wondering if my gas block hack job is the culprit.

Question - should I send this upper to ADCO and have them take off the gas block and and properly install a new one? Or are the intermittent big groups par for the course and I should just stay the course - I don’t think the gas block pin has moved at all and I haven’t had a single malfunction. See pics below.

MistWolf
06-02-19, 00:18
Your problem is unlikely to be related to your gas block.

AKDoug
06-02-19, 03:08
There really is nothing wrong with the position of that pin. They should be tapered and that's where it stopped. Done deal. Like MW says above, I don't think it has anything to do with your weird groupings.

markm
06-02-19, 14:56
Noveske reams their tapers too shallow. It's irritating. Pappabear had a fixed FSB 10.5 where the pins hang out, and it looks bad.

Agreed that this has nothing to do with bad groups.

pinzgauer
06-03-19, 09:00
Had a DD pre-reamed barrel/gas block do the same.

Bugs me visually, but shoots good.

MQ105
06-05-19, 10:00
It doesn't look like it from the pics, but could the GB be touching the handguard at times? Possibly the way you are resting/pushing the gun certain times? Torquing on it with a tight sling? Otherwise, the GB wouldn't cause intermittent accuracy problems.
The only other consideration I can think of is your eyes/sight. I know my T-1 dot looks like an oblong smudge to me at times. Other times it looks round and (mostly) clear. Are your eyes starting to change?

Deadsquiggles
06-07-19, 07:51
Like it’s been said above, the taper pin will stop when it’s gonna stop. Shouldn’t be the reason for your wild groups. Probably your GB touching your handguard.

No Bananas
06-07-19, 22:18
Yes, it could be eye sight. I’m 41 and just this year, I’ve had to start using reading glasses. Need to get em checked.