PDA

View Full Version : Taming the 10.5

turnburglar
06-02-19, 16:08
Hey AR enthusiast.

I have 500 rounds and multiple range sessions on my PSA 10.5 build now, and have some brief observations. When shooting both from the bench for precision, or when running it as fast as possible; I have noticed the 10.5 is much more of a jack hammer than my mid length guns. I dont neccesairly believe the gun is over gassed though. It ejects really consistantly to the 3 O clock, and even has an H2 buffer with milspec spring. I could pull the gas block and measure the gas port to see if that really is the issue, but I just dont feel like it is. Am I just noticing the difference between carbine and mid length gas systems?

It appears that I have 3 different hardware approachs to this problem:

1. A5 buffer system. ~$100 I feel like this is the easiest approach?
https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm

2. Adjustable Gas BCG. ~$180 More expensive but also doesnt sound too bad. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-auto-adjustable-carrier/

3. Adjustable Gas block. ~$60-$100. This is the solution I dont really like. For some reason I just see it as the most unreliable way to fix a problem. Let me know if you have an adjustable gas block that has been rock solid.

Or let me know if I should just rock on, and let the little gun be a BLASTER.

06-02-19, 16:18
If you’re looking to choke down the gas, BRT’s EZTune gas tubes are $50, install super quick, and have no moving parts.

Edit: Its also worth noting that 10.x” barrels can be finicky.

MistWolf
06-02-19, 16:44
If you're running a H2 buffer with a good action spring and your 10.5" AR is hitting you like a jackhammer, it's over gassed.

I've been using an SLR adjustable gas block and it works good. It's reliable.

I've also been using a BRT Micro Port. It works good and it's reliable.

themonk
06-02-19, 16:52
I would assume but may be wrong, that the PSA is horribly over gassed. Black River Tactical (www.blackrivertactical.com) as mentioned above has a number of options for your issue be it gas blocks, gas tubes, or choke down gas ports. Clint is pretty active on here and he may chime in, if not you may want to ping him (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?36542-Clint) and he will help you out.

I have a DD MK18 (newer model with the smaller gas port) that either sits on a pistol lower or a SBR lower. The SBR lower has a A5 with a5h2 and a green sprinco spring. The pistol lower just has a h2 buffer. IMO the A5 smoothes out most SBRs and would not be a bad investment but will not solve your issue nor will the adjustable bolt carrier. You are not going to get a 10.5 to shoot like a mid length 14.5 or 16 inch. Just the nature of the beast.

I would start with Clint and I think you will be surprised with the outcome.

RHINOWSO
06-02-19, 17:07
Cheaper to buy a quality, properly built AR from the beginning, IMO.

Doing all that to a PSA is like putting lipstick on a pig.

turnburglar
06-02-19, 17:22
"cheaper to buy quality in the begining..."

LOL I am only $600 into the whole guns including optics. Most well known companies still dont have proper gas ports. I already own a BCM and another fraken carbine that has proven its self for thousands of rounds... and then I had this one select fire colt for 4 years... I know my way around the Ar platform and this is just a 'fun gun'. And to boot I think this pistol looks incredible...

https://i.imgur.com/QYfzXRP.jpg

I really like the option for the bas tube from BRT. What port size would ya'll recommend for a 10.5 that sees lots of steel and reloads?

themonk
06-02-19, 17:30
I really like the option for the bas tube from BRT. What port size would ya'll recommend for a 10.5 that sees lots of steel and reloads?

Ping Clint and he will tell you exactly what you need

MistWolf
06-02-19, 17:38
...I really like the option for the bas tube from BRT. What port size would ya'll recommend for a 10.5 that sees lots of steel and reloads?

When ordering, select barrel length, gas system length ammo type etc. and they'll send you the right gas tube. BRT customer service is top notch. They'll take care of you.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/Adjustable-Gas-Port/c/6464009/offset=0&sort=normal

06-02-19, 18:25
Snip

I’ve just been filling out the form, and getting whatever BRT sends, with good results. What muzzle device is that?

Pappabear
06-02-19, 18:45
A5 is easy and safe. Id start with A5 then Clints option is GTG as well. Actually you could start with either.

PB

RobertTheTexan
06-02-19, 22:33
Probably not your most favored option, but I’d pull the barrel and buy a BA Hanson 10.3. Then you don’t have to introduce any specialty parts to make it run the way you want it to.

My BA Hanson 10.3 is a stupid smooth shooting AR, and is my favorite rifle to shoot. The recoil impulse is smoother than my DD 12.5 and my 11.5. (RIP). I’ve built a lot of AR’s since the 10.3, i.e. DD barreled builds, Centurion Arms 12.5, Noveske builds and it is STILL my best running short barrel AR. Hands down.

Like the rest of my builds it has a normal plain Jane BA 750 lo-pro gas block (non-adjustable of course) and a normal nitride gas tube. Not trying to knock the other solutions presented, but if I can run a standard GB and standard gas tube, and have 100% functionality and a good shooting weapon -that’s my preference. Following the KISS principle. And if I need to swap a gas tube I can grab one of 10 in my parts bin that I paid $13 bucks for. Best of all it’s just a butter smooth shooter. Even with a Troy PDW stock and proprietary buffer and spring that certainly isn’t designed for comfort but portability/maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyLate
06-03-19, 07:45
My BA Hanson 10.3 is a stupid smooth shooting AR, and is my favorite rifle to shoot. The recoil impulse is smoother than my DD 12.5 and my 11.5. (RIP). I’ve built a lot of AR’s since the 10.3, i.e. DD barreled builds, Centurion Arms 12.5, Noveske builds and it is STILL my best running short barrel AR. Hands down.

This post is encouraging, I have an 11.3 Hanson en route and need to wait all week before I can take it to the range. It's also my first pistol build and I am really looking forward to wringing it out.

Andy

Clint
06-03-19, 09:15
This is great advice to replace the barrel with a properly ported one.

We have several great barrel options for that.

Most people tend to try and fix what they have, even if a swap is better and less costly in the end.

Probably not your most favored option, but I’d pull the barrel and buy a BA Hanson 10.3. Then you don’t have to introduce any specialty parts to make it run the way you want it to.

Like the rest of my builds it has a normal plain Jane BA 750 lo-pro gas block (non-adjustable of course) and a normal nitride gas tube. Not trying to knock the other solutions presented, but if I can run a standard GB and standard gas tube, and have 100% functionality and a good shooting weapon -that’s my preference. Following the KISS principle. And if I need to swap a gas tube I can grab one of 10 in my parts bin that I paid $13 bucks for.

tehpwnag3
06-03-19, 09:17
PSA Blast Can. It's a blast forward device. Not flash hiding, nor compensating. ETA: It's not a krink, if people wanted to think that maybe it was.

I’ve just been filling out the form, and getting whatever BRT sends, with good results. What muzzle device is that?

OP, since you asked, SLR Rifleworks and Odin Works probably make the best, most reliable AGB's. There are others, I'm sure, but I've had great experiences with both.

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-04-19, 09:33
Hey AR enthusiast.

I have 500 rounds and multiple range sessions on my PSA 10.5 build now, and have some brief observations. When shooting both from the bench for precision, or when running it as fast as possible; I have noticed the 10.5 is much more of a jack hammer than my mid length guns. I dont neccesairly believe the gun is over gassed though. It ejects really consistantly to the 3 O clock, and even has an H2 buffer with milspec spring. I could pull the gas block and measure the gas port to see if that really is the issue, but I just dont feel like it is. Am I just noticing the difference between carbine and mid length gas systems?

It appears that I have 3 different hardware approachs to this problem:

1. A5 buffer system. ~$100 I feel like this is the easiest approach?
https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm

2. Adjustable Gas BCG. ~$180 More expensive but also doesnt sound too bad. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-auto-adjustable-carrier/

3. Adjustable Gas block. ~$60-$100. This is the solution I dont really like. For some reason I just see it as the most unreliable way to fix a problem. Let me know if you have an adjustable gas block that has been rock solid.

Or let me know if I should just rock on, and let the little gun be a BLASTER.

Every PSA upper and barrel I've messed with have been overgassed. I'd suggest throwing an A5 system on there. My Nephew has a 10.5 PSA pistol, it came with a low quality spring and standard carbine buffer. It was the most awful shooting AR I've ever used. He didn't have the money for an A5 setup so he bought a Sprinco Blue spring and I gave him an H2 buffer to calm it down. I haven't shot it yet since the change up, but he tells me it's much better now.

markm
06-04-19, 09:55
Taming a gun like this is only accomplished by gas regulation. I'm not one for ditching a barrel that shoots accurately enough. I've not yet tried a BRT gas tube, but I'm interested in the idea.

I have zero interest in a BGG that attempts to address the issue. It's simply addressing the problem in the wrong part of the gun in my humble opinion.

If it's not a fixed front sight base gun, the AGB is the most bang for the buck for sure. You WILL get results.

R.O.U.S.
06-04-19, 15:35
In my limited experience, short barrels have always had more recoil than 14.5"-16" carbine, and mid length.

For example a stock 14.5" SR-15 mod 2 is easier to shoot than a correctly ported 10.3" DDMK18 rifle with a A5 system. I want to say that the upper seems to be working, but ejection pattern isn't the best indicator of performance.

I want to mirror what other people have stated for improving recoil.
1. Tackling gas.
2. A5 system

me2hootyhoo
06-04-19, 21:22
I have a newer DD MK18, H2 buffer and a Tubbs spring. Smoothest AR in my safe. It runs 556, pmc bronze and steel cased. Smoother than my BCM and DD middies. All have upgraded buffers and springs too. Also have a Sionics ergp that I have been running without a suppressor, so it’s undergassed, and it is no smoother than the 10.5 carbine.

Get the gas dialed in and then move onto the buffer system. You’ll appreciate it. That 10.5 can run butter smooth and be reliable.

turnburglar
06-05-19, 02:50
Get the gas dialed in and then move onto the buffer system. You’ll appreciate it. That 10.5 can run butter smooth and be reliable.

I really appreciate all the replies similar to this one, because at one point I thought: "Maybe a 10.5 is just a bear to shoot".

I forgot to mention that the build came with a 6061 buffer tube, weak spring and carbine buffer. I was planning on replacing all of this anyways because its not "per the chart". A decent buffer tube set will typically run me $80, and the A5 for an extra $25 seems like a no brainer. Also Im gonna order a drilled gas tube from BRT. I'll let yall know how much it tames down the gun, and then hopefully next time I get out to the range I'll have a better shooting rest for groups.

prdubi
06-05-19, 04:23
My 10.5 noveske rides a h2 springco... and a gemtech suppressed bolt.

With my can on it.

It's been awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

prepare
06-05-19, 06:52

Like the rest of my builds it has a normal plain Jane BA 750 lo-pro gas block (non-adjustable of course) and a normal nitride gas tube. Not trying to knock the other solutions presented, but if I can run a standard GB and standard gas tube, and have 100% functionality and a good shooting weapon -that’s my preference. Following the KISS principle. And if I need to swap a gas tube I can grab one of 10 in my parts bin that I paid $13 bucks for. Best of all it’s just a butter smooth shooter. Even with a Troy PDW stock and proprietary buffer and spring that certainly isn’t designed for comfort but portability/maneuverability.

Any idea what size the gas port is on your BA Hanson 10.3?

Badger52
06-05-19, 10:17
FWIW, I was exploring a shortie awhile back and Kyle at BA told me their 10.3" ports are .0785 and the 11.5" is .073. Both carbine gas. Just in case that helps, kinda glad I actually wrote it down.

titsonritz
06-05-19, 11:26
LOL, so replace the barrel, the BCG, the buffer system, gas tube. Don't forget the lipstick for that pig.

TomPenguin5145
06-05-19, 12:53
I (my wife) have a PSA 10.5. I don't consider it over gassed. It has had zero malfs but we only have about 500-750 rounds through it. It has a high quality BCG and FCG. It runs really well on most ammo I have tried with it. It runs the smoothest with H322 pushing 68bthps. I dunno if it is the faster powder causing a quicker pressure spike that is tapering off by the time the bullet gets to the gas port or what. It has a standard action spring and an H2 buffer.

Now my Aero build with a 14.7 Ballistic Advantage barrel...that guy seems over gassed. :( I am running a Blue SpringCo and an H2. About 5000-6000 rounds, about 3000 from thousand round courses, through this one and no rifle related malfs.

RobertTheTexan
06-05-19, 12:57

I can see if I have a drill bit to size it with because .078 seems to be huge. My DD 12.5 is gassier than my 10.3, that’s not a very technical explanation, but definitely my observation.h

turnburglar
06-05-19, 13:04
LOL, so replace the barrel, the BCG, the buffer system, gas tube. Don't forget the lipstick for that pig.

I get it; its cool to troll on the cheap $h1t. Again, not my first AR, nor my first car. This is still a fun kit gun well underneath the 1K mark. I have MULTIPLE proven systems sitting in the safe. If I add a A5 + BRT gas tube thats only $150 into a $500 gun. Let's say I add a larue trigger thats also the new hotness on this forum. Still under 1k. Infact let me itemize my build, just for you:

PSA Build kit (upper, LPK & SBA3 brace)- $450
New Charging handle- $25
cotter pin- $2
BRT gas tube- $55 (just bought)
Lower- $55
BCM A5- $100 (havent purchased)
Larue MBT2s trigger- $90 (havent purchased)

All of this totals out too..... $777... Im more than satisfied with this purchase.

daddyusmaximus
06-05-19, 23:06
I've got a 10.5 PSA I need to tame. I put a Warcomp on it recently. I was going to anyway as I want all my ARs to have it so my future cans will all mount up. I also will be trying a Springco spring and hydraulic buffer I have left over from when I had a 7" pistol a few years back. They tamed that thing well. The 10.5" PSA actually shoots real well, it just has a sharper recoil punch than what my other ARs have. Snappy as it is, it's not un-manageable. I wouldn't be above putting some more money like the A5 system into it. I'd love the BA Hanson 10.3, but I want to keep the fixed front sight, and bayonet lug for this one.

prepare
06-06-19, 03:55
FWIW, I was exploring a shortie awhile back and Kyle at BA told me their 10.3" ports are .0785 and the 11.5" is .073. Both carbine gas. Just in case that helps, kinda glad I actually wrote it down.

Thats way to gassy.

titsonritz
06-06-19, 11:45
10.3/10.5" MK18 is .071 inches, 11.5” Carbine length gas .076 +/- .001 is what I have in my notes.

turnburglar
06-07-19, 18:50
So today I got my BRT gas tube in the mail.

When I ordered it; I choose to let BRT spec the gas port size based on my inputs of: 10.5" barrel, carbine gas, brass 556- steel 223, milspec BCG and carbine H2 buffer. The tube they sent me is marked 073 in paint pen. Pulling out the cheap dial calipers it consistantly measured 0.0715". They definetly chose to go a little looser than the crane spec, but it should function no matter what, given the steel case ammo I spec'd in the diet. I'm excited to instal in my gun later this month. I'll post about my results.

Also have a larue MBT2s on the way. Really excited to compare that against my G2S.

EDIT: I just measured my PSA FN CHF 16" mid length and it hit between 0.074 - 0.076. Seems to be on the mild side, and certainly not OVERGASSED. I just thought this was good to confirm that PSA doesnt 'mess up the specs' when they get barrels contracted from FN.

everready73
06-07-19, 20:15

When I ordered it; I choose to let BRT spec the gas port size based on my inputs of: 10.5" barrel, carbine gas, brass 556- steel 223, milspec BCG and carbine H2 buffer. The tube they sent me is marked 073 in paint pen. Pulling out the cheap dial calipers it consistantly measured 0.0715". They definetly chose to go a little looser than the crane spec, but it should function no matter what, given the steel case ammo I spec'd in the diet. I'm excited to instal in my gun later this month. I'll post about my results.

Also have a larue MBT2s on the way. Really excited to compare that against my G2S.

EDIT: I just measured my PSA FN CHF 16" mid length and it hit between 0.074 - 0.076. Seems to be on the mild side, and certainly not OVERGASSED. I just thought this was good to confirm that PSA doesnt 'mess up the specs' when they get barrels contracted from FN.
Makes sense that they sent the size the did. Crane spec is based for the military that uses full power brass cased .556. the steel 223 would def need a little more gas. That size should work well with both

Clint
06-07-19, 21:11
The EZTUNE tubes sizes are one step larger than the barrel port to get the same gas drive.

The tube is 073 when measured with a pin Gage.

So the 073 tube is equivalent to an 071 barrel port, which is right on Crane spec and a good level of Gas Drive.

Let us know how it goes.

When I ordered it; I choose to let BRT spec the gas port size based on my inputs of: 10.5" barrel, carbine gas, brass 556- steel 223, milspec BCG and carbine H2 buffer. The tube they sent me is marked 073 in paint pen. Pulling out the cheap dial calipers it consistantly measured 0.0715". They definitely chose to go a little looser than the crane spec, but it should function no matter what, given the steel case ammo I spec'd in the diet. I'm excited to install in my gun later this month. I'll post about my results.

turnburglar
06-07-19, 21:13
edited

jpmuscle
06-07-19, 21:24
Oh shit a real man just jumped into the gun forum.

Honestly bro, I used to time a M2 every night before going out on patrol. I have enough titanium in my back from IED's, that I dont ever pull my man card, anywhere. They know me by name. I've worked with ALOT of guns bigger than 556. You missed the point of this thread completly. Im sure you'r time on this forum will be short.

Wrong thread or?

turnburglar
06-07-19, 22:24
Wrong thread or?

about 9 other posts where deleted that was a response too.

bigjoe7757
06-25-19, 16:07
I’m running the voltor a5 with the standard included buffer and a green sprinco. Also ring a surefire warcomp out front. Runs and feels great.

81mmcat
07-08-19, 19:03
Was wondering how long until the port in these gas tubes start to open up from use if at all?

Clint
07-08-19, 21:00
Was wondering how long until the port in these gas tubes start to open up from use if at all?

We've got an informal endurance test going on a 10.3" carbine.

Its currently over 2500 rounds with no detectable change in port size.

msedward43
07-09-19, 00:22
I really appreciate all the replies similar to this one, because at one point I thought: "Maybe a 10.5 is just a bear to shoot".

I forgot to mention that the build came with a 6061 buffer tube, weak spring and carbine buffer. I was planning on replacing all of this anyways because its not "per the chart". A decent buffer tube set will typically run me $80, and the A5 for an extra $25 seems like a no brainer. Also Im gonna order a drilled gas tube from BRT. I'll let yall know how much it tames down the gun, and then hopefully next time I get out to the range I'll have a better shooting rest for groups.

according to the PSA reps they don't send 6061 tubes anymore and haven't for several years. Finish may not have the dry film lube on the inside depending on which supplier they use for that batch, but supposedly they're all 7075 (I can confirm the lack of grey dry lube on the inside not meaning 6061. Aero precision tubes don't come with it and are jet black inside. Same with Right to Bear Arms and Damage Industries 7075 tubes)

someone just asked that question about 6061 vs. 7075 yesterday on Arf and Josiah the rep confirmed that no 6061 are used anymore either

as for the A5... did you switch over to that yet? I'm interested in trying one out sometimes as I've stuck to plain jane old carbine extensions my whole life and am curious how they feel on a pistol build like that

turnburglar
07-09-19, 02:20
according to the PSA reps they don't send 6061 tubes anymore and haven't for several years. Finish may not have the dry film lube on the inside depending on which supplier they us for that batch, but supposedly they're all 7075 (I can confirm the lack of grey dry lube on the inside not meaning 6061. Aero precision tubes don't come with it and are jet black inside. Same with Right to Bear Arms and Damage Industries 7075 tubes)

someone just asked that question about 6061 vs. 7075 yesterday on Arf and Josiah the rep confirmed that no 6061 are used anymore either

as for the A5... did you switch over to that yet? I'm interested in trying one out sometimes as I've stuck to plain jane old carbine extensions my whole life and am curious how they feel on a pistol build like that

Hey, great post! I have no way of actually testing the tube to verify that it is 7075 vs 6061, I just assumed that these budget builds had the cheap stuff. If what you say is true then I might have saved some cash, as I wouldnt need a new buffer tube or even buffer at this point.

I havent tried the A5 system yet. I am in the middle of a move and reno, but was fortunate enough to find time to install my BRT gas tube and test function. With a H2 buffer the BRT gas tube seems to have helped smoothed the gun out abit. Still not like my mid length's, (some comped) but that's to be expected. The BRT tube cycled and locked back on steel cased, my 77gr reloads and hornady frontier 556. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, but still feel the gun would benefit from a A5 and comp if ultimate smoothness is what I am chasing. In reality I hate comps, and probably wont do the A5 anymore if my buffer tube is durable enough. I'll just shoot it till it's hot.

turnburglar
07-09-19, 02:24
We've got an informal endurance test going on a 10.3" carbine.

Its currently over 2500 rounds with no detectable change in port size.

wouldnt the gas port on the barrel erode before the reduced port on the gas tube? In a round about kinda way this may be the better way to gas a gun?

msedward43
07-09-19, 02:46
Hey, great post! I have no way of actually testing the tube to verify that it is 7075 vs 6061, I just assumed that these budget builds had the cheap stuff. If what you say is true then I might have saved some cash, as I wouldnt need a new buffer tube or even buffer at this point.

I havent tried the A5 system yet. I am in the middle of a move and reno, but was fortunate enough to find time to install my BRT gas tube and test function. With a H2 buffer the BRT gas tube seems to have helped smoothed the gun out abit. Still not like my mid length's, (some comped) but that's to be expected. The BRT tube cycled and locked back on steel cased, my 77gr reloads and hornady frontier 556. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, but still feel the gun would benefit from a A5 and comp if ultimate smoothness is what I am chasing. In reality I hate comps, and probably wont do the A5 anymore if my buffer tube is durable enough. I'll just shoot it till it's hot.

like you I have no way of testing the tube either (destructive testing is really the only verifiable way I've heard) and I'm no guru, but I had come across the PSA rep saying that yesterday so it was fresh in my mind and was just relaying what I read. I did some googling in the last hour and it seems that question came up a couple of times in 2018 and the PSA rep basically said that they quit using 6061 tubes because it was too much of a pain to stock both AND deal with customer complaints constantly asking for the 7075 tubes, so they switched over permanently a few years back and just stock the 7075 to make things easy.

Yeah, If you're happy with the performance I see no need to switch unless you have a hankering for the A5 system (which I hear is pretty bad@ss). If you're happy with how it feels then just shoot that sucker. It's a PSA gun, not a gucci build, shoot that boy and have fun :D

tehpwnag3
07-09-19, 08:59
Couple things.

First, I'd like to believe PSA about their receiver extensions being 7075. I really have no way of knowing, but their line up includes one that says Mil-spec (probably regarding dimensions rather than materials) and another one 7075. Where I fall out of bed is how there product ads will sometimes say 7075 and sometimes not. This being for kits and complete rifles. What is also dubious is their specification that their individually sold 7075 tube IS dry film lubricated, so what's the deal there? See for yourself.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-6-position-milspec-diameter-buffer-tube-7075.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-ar-15-carbine-buffer-tube-778129.html

Secondly, when it comes to short barrels, I've never seen the application of the A5 system more at home. While not as profound on ~16" guns, on 10.5"/11.5"/12.5" it's very effective. Now, is it worth completely swapping out a perfectly good carbine setup? Perhaps not. But if you can repurpose the parts to another build (or sell them) then I say pull out that credit card!

tehpwnag3
07-09-19, 09:08
Oh, forgot to add. What's this thing made of?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-ar-15-fluted-carbine-buffer-tube-black-778128.html

Fluted, no mention of dry lube or materials. Amazing price for 7075. Someone asked what material it is, no answer yet. And such an insightful review lol.

Doc Safari
07-09-19, 09:09
Oddly, my PSA 10.5 upper shot with not much more recoil than regular carbine gas. I plan to swap out the buffer for an H2 or H3 and install a milspec recoil spring to reduce parts wear and tear, but I could shoot it "as is" without any problem.

RobertTheTexan
07-09-19, 10:03

I have ran an A5 on my BA 10.3 since I built it. I use the A5 on every build I do (for me and for others) unless a different buffer system is required as with my Troy Tomahawk. I have no reason whatsoever to change. I believe it’s a smoother more reliable option, short and longterm. I will also tell you that my 10.3 is [ ]FUN[/B] to shoot. It’s not an untamed wild horse, but an exceptional, well-managed, accurate rifle. Firefly got a chance to shoot it a few weeks ago and I was barely able to pry it out of his hands at the end of the day. If I don’t have to reach out there, it will be the first rifle I grab because it’s ran flawlessly since I built it several years ago. Prior to my can getting out of jail I had a Battlecomp and an AFAB Mini on it for a while, both worked fine.

Clint
07-09-19, 10:04
Wouldn't the gas port on the barrel erode before the reduced port on the gas tube? In a round about kinda way this may be the better way to gas a gun?

The downstream side of the gas port at the junction to the bore is where most of the wear occurs due to gas "cutting the corner".

The gas tube is subjected to less aggressive wear and holds up pretty well.

msedward43
07-09-19, 11:30
Couple things.

First, I'd like to believe PSA about their receiver extensions being 7075. I really have no way of knowing, but their line up includes one that says Mil-spec (probably regarding dimensions rather than materials) and another one 7075. Where I fall out of bed is how there product ads will sometimes say 7075 and sometimes not. This being for kits and complete rifles. What is also dubious is their specification that their individually sold 7075 tube IS dry film lubricated, so what's the deal there? See for yourself.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-6-position-milspec-diameter-buffer-tube-7075.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-ar-15-carbine-buffer-tube-778129.html

Secondly, when it comes to short barrels, I've never seen the application of the A5 system more at home. While not as profound on ~16" guns, on 10.5"/11.5"/12.5" it's very effective. Now, is it worth completely swapping out a perfectly good carbine setup? Perhaps not. But if you can repurpose the parts to another build (or sell them) then I say pull out that credit card!

not to be super defensive of PSA, but most of those descriptions have been on PSA's site for literally YEARS. They've always had random descriptions that almost seem like they were written by different people on different days and are never updated no matter what they change lol. if you look at the reviews of the "7075 tube" you linked to some of the people even state that it didn't come with the dry film lube. PSA is probably using the same description they've used since 2011 or something

again, not trying to be defense of PSA, just saying that their descriptions have always been a bit slap dash of what they provide in their kits from item to item and relaying what had been said by an official rep elsewhere. Nothing more

tehpwnag3
07-09-19, 12:14
Fair enough, and thanks for your insight. If this is the case, PSA is really doing themselves a disservice by not staying on top of accurate descriptions of their product line. Savvy customers want to know what's what!

Not always, but most times if the description doesn't say it, it probably doesn't have it--whatever that feature may be. I really hate to have to guess, so sometimes I look at price point for comparable goods and weigh out my decisions there. I know that a standard Vltor carbine length 7075 RE fetches around $40ish dollars, and it's a known high-quality item. When I see what looks to be "just as good as" for half the money, I have to be skeptical of what I could be getting. Sales/MFG volume, QC, etc. notwithstanding.

not to be super defensive of PSA, but most of those descriptions have been on PSA's site for literally YEARS. They've always had random descriptions that almost seem like they were written by different people on different days and are never updated no matter what they change lol. if you look at the reviews of the "7075 tube" you linked to some of the people even state that it didn't come with the dry film lube. PSA is probably using the same description they've used since 2011 or something

again, not trying to be defense of PSA, just saying that their descriptions have always been a bit slap dash of what they provide in their kits from item to item and relaying what had been said by an official rep elsewhere. Nothing more

msedward43
07-09-19, 12:22
oh I agree with you. Drives me nuts when you don't get accurate descriptions. My only suspicion (and it's been hinted at before by different reps) but they most likely have interns or low level employees writing up their descriptions without a set "this needs to be spelled out, this doesn't" and things get crossed and cris crossed in tersm of info. It's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Sionics, BCM, SOLGW etc... you don't doubt anything. As for the receiver extension, I'd be more likely to believe that they're using 7075 simply because it's easier to get one product and cheap 7075 tubes have been out for years (heck, Anderson has sold their 7075 tubes for literally YEARS and they're $20 shipped...may not be as perfectly machined as a BCM or Sionics tube, but hey, it's 7075 so it's not out of the question that PSA can do it too).

I've got a few things from PSA before, and have had to clarify with Josiah just to make sure before lol.... it is what it is.... sigh

again, not trying to overly defend them as PSA deserves some of the criticism levied against them. Was just stating what seems to have been asked 3 or 4 times over the last 2 years (at least from what my google fu has pulled up) and answered the same way by a PSA rep... just was trying to clear an assumption up from the OP.. but yeah, I get your frustration as I am an anal retentive finance guy who likes orderly columns with EXACT descriptions when i buy lol

Fair enough, and thanks for your insight. If this is the case, PSA is really doing themselves a disservice by not staying on top of accurate descriptions of their product line. Savvy customers want to know what's what!

Not always, but most times if the description doesn't say it, it probably doesn't have it--whatever that feature may be. I really hate to have to guess, so sometimes I look at price point for comparable goods and weigh out my decisions there. I know that a standard Vltor carbine length 7075 RE fetches around $40ish dollars, and it's a known high-quality item. When I see what looks to be "just as good as" for half the money, I have to be skeptical of what I could be getting. Sales/MFG volume, QC, etc. notwithstanding.