PDA

View Full Version : Ford v Ferrari (movie Nov 2019)

militarymoron
06-03-19, 13:03
I hope this one's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY

I had watched 'The 24 Hour War' on Amazon prime about the same subject and found it fascinating.

https://www.amazon.com/24-Hour-War-AJ-Baime/dp/B01N0IOJT4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EMAREDYTZG22&keywords=24+hour+war&qid=1559584853&s=instant-video&sprefix=24+h%2Cinstant-video%2C214&sr=1-1

WickedWillis
06-03-19, 14:26
I hope this one's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY

I had watched 'The 24 Hour War' on Amazon prime about the same subject and found it fascinating.

https://www.amazon.com/24-Hour-War-AJ-Baime/dp/B01N0IOJT4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EMAREDYTZG22&keywords=24+hour+war&qid=1559584853&s=instant-video&sprefix=24+h%2Cinstant-video%2C214&sr=1-1

My Father worked on this film. He said the Shelby museum allowed them to film and feature some one-off cars they have. It was basically his dream film being a big car guy.

MountainRaven
06-03-19, 14:32
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/520591862659153920/584968398245724160/unknown.png

���� 'Murica. ����

ETA: Really sad that the forum doesn't support the US flag emoji.

TexHill
06-03-19, 15:33
I love the fact that the only reason Ford built the GT40 was because Enzo Ferrari crawfished on the deal to sell Ferrari to Ford. If that happened today it would be settled in a courtroom instead of on the track. I wish this country would get back to that mindset.

Firefly
06-03-19, 15:36
You know what Ferrari stands for...

Fix it again, Tony

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-19, 18:23
Matt Damon gets punched in the face- I’m in!

militarymoron
06-03-19, 19:26
My Father worked on this film. He said the Shelby museum allowed them to film and feature some one-off cars they have. It was basically his dream film being a big car guy.

Nice! Hope it lives up to his expectations.
At least it's got Jason Bourne, Batman and the Punisher.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-03-19, 19:28
Unless Carol Shelby turns to the screen and gives a lecture about trans rights I am pretty much guaranteed to be happy with this movie.

Renegade
06-03-19, 19:43
Christian Bale attempted accent is downright awful.

militarymoron
06-03-19, 19:49
Christian Bale attempted accent is downright awful.

How so? Bale is English-American and plays Ken Miles in the movie, who was also English-American (coincidentally from my birth town of Birmingham). When people born in England come to the States and live here for most of their lives, strange things happen to our accents :-) Mine is still confused.

Renegade
06-03-19, 19:53
How so? Bale is English-American and plays Ken Miles in the movie, who was also English-American (coincidentally from my birth town of Birmingham). When people born in England come to the States and live here for most of their lives, strange things happen to our accents :-) Mine is still confused.

I do not mean his real life accent, I mean the one he trying to portray in the trailer.

militarymoron
06-03-19, 20:13
I do not mean his real life accent, I mean the one he trying to portray in the trailer.

That's the one I'm referring to as well. I'd expect it to be some sort of Brum-Californian morph (which it sounds like to me), which can come off as hard to place.

TexHill
06-03-19, 21:35
Carroll Shelby was a certified bad ass. He was raised on a chicken farm about 45 minutes from where I live. If I'm not mistaken, when he was still a driver, he once competed at the 24hrs of Le Mans wearing bib overalls. He was one hell of a driver as well as a car designer. It took a serious heart condition to get him out from behind the race wheel.

I think Matthew McConaughey would have been a better choice to play Shelby.

Jellybean
06-04-19, 10:38
I mean...judging by the commercial, it will be another one of those cliche "car race" movies. Most of us could probably recite an overall storyline based on other similar movies and be mostly on the button.
But... apparently the director also did "Logan" and it has some decent actors in it so...I have some hope that it will at least be watchable once.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-04-19, 10:41
Going to be hard to be better than 'Rush'.

Vegas
06-04-19, 12:45

This is true. To me, I still sound English but I get a rash of crap from friends over my “accent” when I go home to visit.

Looking forward to this movie. I could do without Matt Damon in it. Seems like his acting gets worse as he gets older.

TexHill
11-23-19, 09:19
Has anyone else seen this yet? I went last weekend to see it with my girlfriend, my son, and her youngest son. I thought it was well done. I'm definitely not a Matt Damon fan, but he did a decent job playing Shelby. Bale was awesome as Ken Miles. All of the effects were practical effects, no CGI. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars.

mack7.62
11-23-19, 11:45
Excellent movie, Ken Miles was robbed of his La Mans win, GT 40 used a 427 cu in engine, never knew that, and Shelby/Ford won because they came up with a quick change brake assembly. I laughed more in this movie than I have in a long time, does make you hate suits though. Interesting that both Miles and Shelby were WW II veterans, Miles in tanks and Shelby was an enlisted pilot instructor even though his heart valve leakage problem was discovered at age 7.

WillBrink
11-23-19, 14:21
From what I read, movies does a decent job of following the true events, which is good. I can't stand movies "based on true events" that are more fiction than anything close to what happened. I understand the need for creative license, but war movies where the German's bombed Pearl Harbor and such, irritate the hell out of me.

TexHill
11-23-19, 20:22
Excellent movie, Ken Miles was robbed of his La Mans win, GT 40 used a 427 cu in engine, never knew that, and Shelby/Ford won because they came up with a quick change brake assembly. I laughed more in this movie than I have in a long time, does make you hate suits though. Interesting that both Miles and Shelby were WW II veterans, Miles in tanks and Shelby was an enlisted pilot instructor even though his heart valve leakage problem was discovered at age 7.

I think that the movie made a bigger deal out of the suits meddling than was actually the case. Here's a good documentary on Netflix about the Ford / Ferrari rivalry called "The 24 Hour War".
https://www.netflix.com/title/80158800?s=i&trkid=13747225

This interview with Carroll Shelby is also very good.

https://youtu.be/Rzq4DeTjZ1A

m1a_scoutguy
11-23-19, 21:46
I went last weekend with my Son & 14-year old Grandson, we all liked it a lot! Very good and well done I thought. Matt Damon is Matt Damon, but he can be good at what he does and thought he did a good job and yea real or not in real life he did get punched in the face in the movie, LOL

Averageman
11-24-19, 09:19
How so? Bale is English-American and plays Ken Miles in the movie, who was also English-American (coincidentally from my birth town of Birmingham). When people born in England come to the States and live here for most of their lives, strange things happen to our accents :-) Mine is still confused, Y'all.
Fixed it for you.