PDA

View Full Version : Changing fixed carry handle to flat top

Hyprlite2007
11-11-08, 00:08
Im looking to change my Bushmaster M4A1 from a fixed carry handle to a flat top, I found a flat top receiver but the barrel is not included, I do not have the most experience in this field and have never taken the barrel off, is this something I should take to a gunsmith (hate to spend the money) or is this something I could to myself with the right tools and precautions? Also would it be worth it price wise to use the upper w/o the barrel, take it to the gunsmith and have it installed or just spend the extra $150 and just get a whole new upper? Any help would be much appreciated before I follow through with the transformation.

Thanks alot

JBnTX
11-11-08, 08:55
Just buy a complete new upper or a barrel for
your new flat top receiver to get what you want.
That way you will have both.

But, if you do decide to swap the barrel.
The AR-15 is easy to work on provided you have the proper
tools and instructions.

You absolutely must have the proper tools to work on an AR-15.
(Kitchen table, wannabe gunsmiths will disagree but I say :p)

The tools are expensive and if you're just going to use them once?
it's cheaper to take it to a gunsmith.

markm
11-11-08, 09:04
Just buy a complete new upper or a barrel for
your new flat top receiver to get what you want.
That way you will have both.

But, if you do decide to swap the barrel.
The AR-15 is easy to work on provided you have the proper
tools and instructions.

You absolutely must have the proper tools to work on an AR-15.
(Kitchen table, wannabe gunsmiths will disagree but I say :p)

The tools are expensive and if you're just going to use them once?
it's cheaper to take it to a gunsmith.

What he said!

SSGN_Doc
11-11-08, 09:16
Tools you would need are:

Vice
Torque wrench
Barrel wrench
Action block
Punch set

If you already have a vice and torque wrench you aren't too bad off.

Barrel wrenches run from $15 for a GI one to $40 for a really nice one or specialty wrench for free float tubes, depending on manufacturer.

Action block is about $20-$40

Punch sets can be had for about $20

So, you're looking at around $100 bucks or more in tools.

Probably $35-$50 bucks to have a gunsmith swap you're stuff over.

All that has to be done is to put the upper in the action block in the vice after punching out the gas tube pin and removing the gas tube.

Then remove the barrel nut. Pull out the barrel.

Place new upper in action block. Grease the threads with molybdinum grease. Insert barrel Tighten nut. Torque to 30 ftlbs, and back it off, Retorque to 30ft/lbs. (this sets the threads). Torque to the next gas tube alignment notch, being careful not to exceed 80 ft/lbs. Install the gas tube, and replace the retaining pin. Violla!! Put your handguards back on. and enjoy the flat top experience.

Then you have the delimma of figuring out what to do with your A2 or A1 upper. Usually this results in a second upper build once you figure out how easy it was. Even more likely if you have the tools laying around. Now everything just got more expensive because you have caught Black Rifle Disease.

Hyprlite2007
11-11-08, 16:03
Tools you would need are:

Vice
Torque wrench
Barrel wrench
Action block
Punch set

If you already have a vice and torque wrench you aren't too bad off.

Barrel wrenches run from $15 for a GI one to $40 for a really nice one or specialty wrench for free float tubes, depending on manufacturer.

Action block is about $20-$40

Punch sets can be had for about $20

So, you're looking at around $100 bucks or more in tools.

Probably $35-$50 bucks to have a gunsmith swap you're stuff over.

All that has to be done is to put the upper in the action block in the vice after punching out the gas tube pin and removing the gas tube.

Then remove the barrel nut. Pull out the barrel.

Place new upper in action block. Grease the threads with molybdinum grease. Insert barrel Tighten nut. Torque to 30 ftlbs, and back it off, Retorque to 30ft/lbs. (this sets the threads). Torque to the next gas tube alignment notch, being careful not to exceed 80 ft/lbs. Install the gas tube, and replace the retaining pin. Violla!! Put your handguards back on. and enjoy the flat top experience.

Then you have the delimma of figuring out what to do with your A2 or A1 upper. Usually this results in a second upper build once you figure out how easy it was. Even more likely if you have the tools laying around. Now everything just got more expensive because you have caught Black Rifle Disease.

The last part is very true, I thought I would end up spending a few hundred on acessroies, more like close to a grand, I have caught the disease.

Thanks for the help, I think Ill just take it to a gunsmith so as to not mess anything up with my luck.

citizensoldier16
11-12-08, 12:58
If this is something you're going to do only once, I found it cheaper to just pay a gunsmith to have it done rather than buying up all the parts. But that's just my $.02

Hyprlite2007
11-12-08, 16:35
If this is something you're going to do only once, I found it cheaper to just pay a gunsmith to have it done rather than buying up all the parts. But that's just my $.02

Any idea on a ballpark figure it might cost?

rmecapn
11-12-08, 16:52
Any idea on a ballpark figure it might cost?

ADCO (http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=51) lists their service at $35-$50.

Hyprlite2007
11-12-08, 17:18
ADCO (http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=51) lists their service at $35-$50.

Thanks for the help!

citizensoldier16
11-12-08, 17:51
Depends on the gunsmith. I got mine done for $27+tax.

Hyprlite2007
11-12-08, 18:31
Depends on the gunsmith. I got mine done for $27+tax.

Im assuming it doesnt take long then or very much effort for a good gunsmith?

big 54r
11-12-08, 22:17
I'm looking at doing the same thing to my k3b a2, I already had the bcg and castle nut stacked.

just trying to make it a better weapon until I can (hopefully) get another one (colt-lmt-cmmg?).

hopefully b4 nobama kills it all.

Hyprlite2007
11-12-08, 22:46
I'm looking at doing the same thing to my k3b a2, I already had the bcg and castle nut stacked.

just trying to make it a better weapon until I can (hopefully) get another one (colt-lmt-cmmg?).

hopefully b4 nobama kills it all.

I stacked the nuts before I ever fired it haha, I bought the wrong model and now Im paying for it in the long run but you live and you learn. I might buy another just in case the Obamination takes #2 away.

Robb Jensen
11-13-08, 06:30
Im looking to change my Bushmaster M4A1 from a fixed carry handle to a flat top, I found a flat top receiver but the barrel is not included, I do not have the most experience in this field and have never taken the barrel off, is this something I should take to a gunsmith (hate to spend the money) or is this something I could to myself with the right tools and precautions? Also would it be worth it price wise to use the upper w/o the barrel, take it to the gunsmith and have it installed or just spend the extra $150 and just get a whole new upper? Any help would be much appreciated before I follow through with the transformation.

Thanks alot

Depends on where you buy the flat top upper receiver. Some shops will install it free if you buy it from them.

Hyprlite2007
11-13-08, 12:58
Depends on where you buy the flat top upper receiver. Some shops will install it free if you buy it from them.

Ill look around at local gunsmith shops to see if they sell them, thanks!