PDA

View Full Version : Will I lose my permit and my money if Obama oppresses US citizens?

zippygaloo
11-11-08, 01:02
If I pay money for a class (as required by the state) and pay money for the concealed weapons permit will I lose both the permit and all of the money I spent if Obama oppresses us by banning concealed weapons permits?

bkb0000
11-11-08, 01:18
If I pay money for a class (as required by the state) and pay money for the concealed weapons permit will I lose both the permit and all of the money I spent if Obama oppresses us by banning concealed weapons permits?

certainly, as will all of us.

theJanitor
11-11-08, 01:20
I doubt you will get a refund for anything, but on a different note...How is anyone supposed to know what the exact details of any forthcoming legislation is going to be? everyone needs to stop grabbing at straws. personally, it's driving me crazy as of late.

spamsammich
11-11-08, 01:33
I doubt you will get a refund for anything, but on a different note...How is anyone supposed to know what the exact details of any forthcoming legislation is going to be? everyone needs to stop grabbing at straws. personally, it's driving me crazy as of late.

You can always ignore list ;)

zippygaloo
11-11-08, 02:25
In my state right now (Oregon) the media is demanding county Sheriffs disclose the names of everyone who has a concealed weapons permit so they can publish the names and make them public. They've already taken them to court and won. It's now headed for the court of appeals.

Iraqgunz
11-11-08, 02:35
Zippy,

Can you post a link or some info about this? Have you sent an email or made a phone call to the various 2nd Amendment groups to inform them about this? Though many of us CCW holders like to stay lo-pro, if it was released so what? I don't mean to sound like I don't care because I do and I think it is a privacy issue. But, it is what it is.

Don't worry about Obama taking away the right to carry a concealed weapon. I don't thin he can is I beleive that it is a States rights issue.

In my state right now (Oregon) the media is demanding county Sheriffs disclose the names of everyone who has a concealed weapons permit so they can publish the names and make them public. They've already taken them to court and won. It's now headed for the court of appeals.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-11-08, 02:39
i don't see how the federal government can ban CPLs. this is a state's rights issue. if my state got rid of concealed carry, i would start carrying openly, because that is not against the law here.

i agree, everyone needs to calm down. obama hasn't even sworn in yet. there's no way to speculate what kind of laws might come in the future. the white house and congress are going to focus on fiduciary matters first and foremost.

carolyn mccarthy has said that the anti-gunner's primary goal is to ban "these high-capacity clips". i don't think they could tack on concealed carry as a piggyback clause to such legislation and even so, any sort of AWB is a couple years off at worst.

let's deal with things as they come. don't lose your heads prematurely.

zippygaloo
11-11-08, 03:02
Washington County (Oregon) Sheriff's Office - Notice to all Concealed Handgun License Holders (http://www.co.washington.or.us/sheriff/service/ccw_not.htm).

KATU News - Media Seeks Private Information (http://www.katu.com/younews/34111984.html) Nov. 7th 2008

Oregonlive.com - Sheriff seeks privacy information on 10,000 concealed weapons owners (http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2008/11/sheriff_seeks_privacy_informat.html) Nov. 10th 2008

Jackson County, Oregon - Circuit Court Ruling (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:bSWumKeTQzcJ:www.ojd.state.or.us/jac/documents/MailTribunevsSheriffWinters.pdf+07-4147-E-2&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a) - Only exempt from public disclosure of your concealed handgun permit if for security reasons only.

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations". - Barack Obama (Pittsburgh Tribune Review) (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/search/s_560181.html) - April, 2008

Zippy,

Can you post a link or some info about this? Have you sent an email or made a phone call to the various 2nd Amendment groups to inform them about this? Though many of us CCW holders like to stay lo-pro, if it was released so what? I don't mean to sound like I don't care because I do and I think it is a privacy issue. But, it is what it is.

Don't worry about Obama taking away the right to carry a concealed weapon. I don't thin he can is I beleive that it is a States rights issue.

Iraqgunz
11-11-08, 03:30
Zippy,

Thanks for that. I also used my Google-Fu to find some info as well. Have you contacted any of the Pro-2A groups? If not, you should.

That whole security thing is rather comical since one does not need to disclose a reason in a "shall issue" state. Then again maybe they knew that when they made the statement.

Washington County (Oregon) Sheriff's Office - Notice to all Concealed Handgun License Holders (http://www.co.washington.or.us/sheriff/service/ccw_not.htm).

KATU News - Media Seeks Private Information (http://www.katu.com/younews/34111984.html) Nov. 7th 2008

Oregonlive.com - Sheriff seeks privacy information on 10,000 concealed weapons owners (http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2008/11/sheriff_seeks_privacy_informat.html) Nov. 10th 2008

Jackson County, Oregon - Circuit Court Ruling (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:bSWumKeTQzcJ:www.ojd.state.or.us/jac/documents/MailTribunevsSheriffWinters.pdf+07-4147-E-2&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a) - Only exempt from public disclosure of your concealed handgun permit if for security reasons only.

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations". - Barack Obama (Pittsburgh Tribune Review) (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/search/s_560181.html) - April, 2008

NoBody
11-11-08, 05:46
This question is about more than just your "money" and "permit." It's about losing your rights and the rights of the States. Both are in danger....join the 10%.

VooDoo6Actual
11-11-08, 07:48
YES to answer your question.

DM-SC
11-11-08, 08:19
We recently changed SC law, to make this crap go away!

For the life of me, I can't find a good reason for anyone thinking that they NEED to publish the names (much less addresses!) of all CWP holders. The only reason (not good!) for them to publish the list of names is to discourage people from obtaining/having a CWP.

I had a conversation with a someone who supported the publishing of the names. I asked if they would support the publishing of other lists of names. "Why?" was her reply! :rolleyes:

rubberneck
11-11-08, 08:26

I doubt we'll see a ban on concealed carry as it would clearly violate the 10th amendment.

TOrrock
11-11-08, 08:33
You guys need to take a few deep, deep breaths.

Even in the darkest days of the Clinton era, CCW in the states was not a Federal matter.

BigDog
11-11-08, 09:18
You guys need to take a few deep, deep breaths.

Even in the darkest days of the Clinton era, CCW in the states was not a Federal matter.

Agreed. There's that pesky old 10th Amendment that they'd have to deal with to overturn state CCW laws.

ToddG
11-11-08, 09:55
THREAD MOVED TO GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA.

thopkins22
11-11-08, 10:30
Even most "moderates" I talk to who are ambivalent on black rifles are not opposed to CHLs as long as there is a course and background check...so I don't think it's on the agenda.

With that said, I wouldn't count on the tenth amendment to do crap. It's one of the most trampled amendments in the constitution, and has been ever since the civil war.

zippygaloo
11-11-08, 12:28
So does the State determine CHL or does the Federal Gov'ment? Can Obama create a bogus Executive Order to ban CHL?

DrewH
11-11-08, 12:59
Who issues you your CCW? State of Oregon, or some subdivision, correct? It is valid in Oregon and states that recognize Oregon's permit.

The Federal government does not issue carry permits. An executive order (which applies existing law, or sets overall policies for the Federal government) cannot affect CCW permits. Obama is highly unlikely to try pass legislation restricting CCWs. Notice in his quote he just expresses his opninion about CCW, not a demand for legislation. It is highly unlikely to pass, and it would be on disputable legal ground, making it even more unlikely to pass.

As for Oregon publicizing its CCWs, that is a separate issue, is it not? No relelvance to Federally suppressing CCW.

I would apply all the energy spent on this to studying the self defense laws of your state, thinking through your moral views on the use of force, learning appropriate tactics for defusing the need to use your CCW weapon, and taking training to use it properly if you can. Screwing up that could cost you much more than your permit fee.

TOrrock
11-11-08, 14:53
Who issues you your CCW? State of Oregon, or some subdivision, correct? It is valid in Oregon and states that recognize Oregon's permit.

The Federal government does not issue carry permits. An executive order (which applies existing law, or sets overall policies for the Federal government) cannot affect CCW permits. Obama is highly unlikely to try pass legislation restricting CCWs. Notice in his quote he just expresses his opninion about CCW, not a demand for legislation. It is highly unlikely to pass, and it would be on disputable legal ground, making it even more unlikely to pass.

As for Oregon publicizing its CCWs, that is a separate issue, is it not? No relelvance to Federally suppressing CCW.

I would apply all the energy spent on this to studying the self defense laws of your state, thinking through your moral views on the use of force, learning appropriate tactics for defusing the need to use your CCW weapon, and taking training to use it properly if you can. Screwing up that could cost you much more than your permit fee.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And with that folks, we're done.