PDA

View Full Version : 4d chess... Canterbury ATF Nomination: This Tale Doesn’t Have a Happy Ending for us

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-04-19, 19:16
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/06/ttag-contributor/canterbury-atf-nomination-this-tale-doesnt-have-a-happy-ending/

Our next ATF Chief wants...

1. Universal background checks
2. Wants to really beef up the ATF
3. Wants better access to mental health records "to keep guns out of the wrong hands"
4. Canterbury has also used his official position as President of FOP to oppose constitutional carry and other gun rights legislation.
5. As head of the FOP testified in favor of Sotomayor, who soon after in McDonald v. Chicago (2010). She agreed that the individual right to keep and bear arms is not fundamental in the American scheme of justice, that gun regulations could help save lives, and that the States don’t have to uphold our right to keep and bear arms.

In the words of the great Lando Calirissian, this deal keeps getting worse all the time."

kwelz
06-04-19, 19:24
All part of the plan to play 43593503D Chess.

But the "he isn't Hillary" crowd will come in and say it is all for the best.

Along with his comment on Suppressors the other day it is looking grim. And most gun owners are begging him for it.

TomMcC
06-04-19, 19:27
Trump definitely fumbled at the one on this pick. He's just not a gun guy, but none of them have been since probably Kennedy.

Pappabear
06-04-19, 19:29
That really really really sux.

PB

Firefly
06-04-19, 20:04
Oh Boo Hoo

SteyrAUG
06-04-19, 20:38
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/06/ttag-contributor/canterbury-atf-nomination-this-tale-doesnt-have-a-happy-ending/

Our next ATF Chief wants...

1. Universal background checks
2. Wants to really beef up the ATF
3. Wants better access to mental health records "to keep guns out of the wrong hands"
4. Canterbury has also used his official position as President of FOP to oppose constitutional carry and other gun rights legislation.
5. As head of the FOP testified in favor of Sotomayor, who soon after in McDonald v. Chicago (2010). She agreed that the individual right to keep and bear arms is not fundamental in the American scheme of justice, that gun regulations could help save lives, and that the States don’t have to uphold our right to keep and bear arms.

In the words of the great Lando Calirissian, this deal keeps getting worse all the time."

What did the last ATF chief want vs what he actually got? When was the last good ATF chief?

TomMcC
06-04-19, 21:07
I guess the idea was that we might actually get a real pro-2nd director someday, somehow. But alas, NO!

tb-av
06-04-19, 21:30
I guess the idea was that we might actually get a real pro-2nd director someday, somehow. But alas, NO!

That person would have the job of putting himself out of business. Pro 2A would dismantle the NFA. Along that same line of thinking the criminal taxation of alcohol and tobacco would follow.

BATF could be dissolved at that point and the core remaining could be absorbed into DHS for true crime investigations.

TomMcC
06-04-19, 21:32
That person would have the job of putting himself out of business. Pro 2A would dismantle the NFA. Along that same line of thinking the criminal taxation of alcohol and tobacco would follow.

BATF could be dissolved at that point and the core remaining could be absorbed into DHS for true crime investigations.

No doubt that type of person would be a true patriot.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-04-19, 21:42
Why in God’s name would you put this guy in charge of the ATF?

AKDoug
06-04-19, 21:42
I guess you missed it.. being a mod and all.. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?215663-Trump-ATF-nomination

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-04-19, 22:28
I looked around and didn’t see it..wondered why it wasn’t being discussed? Oh well! I don’t moderate General discussion anyway.

MountainRaven
06-04-19, 22:29
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/529830624387923968/585240714816782366/unknown.png

Adrenaline_6
06-05-19, 07:38
It sucks that there isn't a more pro gun candidate nominated, but really, its the ATF. When have they ever been pro gun? It's kind of their job not to be to stay in business. Less restrictions and responsibility, less budget and power given. It's the game.
Regardless of what this new douchebag wants, he doesn't make policy. Who gives a rats ass what he wants. Like Steyr mentioned, when does an ATF chief get what he wants and when was the last pro gun ATF chief?

Like we will truly ever be happy until suppressors are free to make or buy and an SBR no longer means anything. They will go on "hating" us and we will go on "hating" them. Same ole same ole....carry on.

tb-av
06-05-19, 07:51
No doubt that type of person would be a true patriot.

Yep, and they are few and far between in Politics.

Take our newest Congresswoman Abigail Spamburger in VA. She claimed to be a Patriot because she used to work for the CIA. I wrote he a couple of times. She never answered but did subscribe to her news letter so I stay informed as to her support of the Liberal Agenda. But this 'Patriot" has upped her game. She is now endorsing a "First Generation American".

Ghazala Hashmi is a candidate for State Senate in Virginia’s 10th District.

Hashmi is a muslim woman who was was born in Pakistan.

According to reports, if elected, Hashmi would be the first muslim woman elected to Virginia State Senate.

Hashmi decided to run for Virginia State Senate after hearing about the travel ban.

Hashmi will face two Democrats in the primary election on June 11th 2019. The winner of that race will face Republican incumbent Glen Sturtevant in the General Election on November 5th 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QYJIVnGzP0

So you move to USA from Pakistan and the first thing you want to do is change the USA

A little about VA 10th District.

The district includes all of Clarke, Frederick, and Loudoun counties, parts of Fairfax and Prince William counties, and the independent cities of Manassas, Manassas Park and Winchester. The district closely matches Virginia's voting patterns in statewide races with nearly identical margins as the final statewide results.

Since it was created in 1952, the 10th District has been in Republican hands for 60 of 66 years, including long stints in office by Representatives Joel Broyhill (1953-74) and Frank Wolf (1981-2014). Barbara Comstock, a former aide to Wolf, succeeded him after the 2014 election.[5]

According to Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball, this district has many "wealthy and highly-educated voters" as of 14 April 2016.[6] Specifically, whites represent about 61% of the population, and immigrants (largely Hispanic and Asian) represent over 20%. Just over half of adults hold at least a four-year college degree. The median income is $120,384.[7]

So yeah, those of us that will vote for Trump don't simply have to Parrot the Hillary line. Open your eyes. Here's another one on the west coast...
another First Gen American that wants to change the USA... https://www.gp.org/mejia_endorsement

How long do you guys think The Constitution is going to last?

I've told people here for years if you want to see what's going to happen to you....... LOOK AT VIRGINIA !!! Just go back 15 years. Look at voter maps, population change, demographics.

If you only take two core Constitutional issues 1st and 2nd. Political Correctness and No Guns. Game over. That is where they live.

While Hillary was the criminal 'nominated' by the Dems, Hopefully everyone realizes that "better than Hillary" is simply a euphemism for far worse. Remember, once your State is captured as VA was. It then needs to be settled. I'm not making this stuff up.

One thing else that is not being made up is that it is possible to change Trump's mind. You can't change the mind of a Liberal much less a Progressive.

So good luck to everyone that stands alone and votes for someone they know will lose or expects perfection. Trump is better for the The Constitution than anyone else at this point in time.

They are coming for your State. Don't believe me though. Just go vote that 3rd Party 'Genius without a Chance', then get yourself a beer, sit back, and watch your Red State fall apart around you.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-05-19, 08:21
https://www.libertyheadlines.com/gun-group-alarm-trump-atf-pick/

LoboTBL
06-05-19, 09:17
I've known Chuck Canterbury nearly two decades. I've agreed with him on some things but he is definitely NOT the right person for the job of ATF director. He also would have lost his re-election bid this coming August.

jsbhike
06-05-19, 09:40
Yep, and they are few and far between in Politics.

Take our newest Congresswoman Abigail Spamburger in VA. She claimed to be a Patriot because she used to work for the CIA. I wrote he a couple of times. She never answered but did subscribe to her news letter so I stay informed as to her support of the Liberal Agenda. But this 'Patriot" has upped her game. She is now endorsing a "First Generation American".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QYJIVnGzP0

So you move to USA from Pakistan and the first thing you want to do is change the USA

A little about VA 10th District.

So yeah, those of us that will vote for Trump don't simply have to Parrot the Hillary line. Open your eyes. Here's another one on the west coast...
another First Gen American that wants to change the USA... https://www.gp.org/mejia_endorsement

How long do you guys think The Constitution is going to last?

I've told people here for years if you want to see what's going to happen to you....... LOOK AT VIRGINIA !!! Just go back 15 years. Look at voter maps, population change, demographics.

If you only take two core Constitutional issues 1st and 2nd. Political Correctness and No Guns. Game over. That is where they live.

While Hillary was the criminal 'nominated' by the Dems, Hopefully everyone realizes that "better than Hillary" is simply a euphemism for far worse. Remember, once your State is captured as VA was. It then needs to be settled. I'm not making this stuff up.

One thing else that is not being made up is that it is possible to change Trump's mind. You can't change the mind of a Liberal much less a Progressive.

So good luck to everyone that stands alone and votes for someone they know will lose or expects perfection. Trump is better for the The Constitution than anyone else at this point in time.

They are coming for your State. Don't believe me though. Just go vote that 3rd Party 'Genius without a Chance', then get yourself a beer, sit back, and watch your Red State fall apart around you.

Go change Trump's mind then.

pinzgauer
06-05-19, 09:55
Y

All true, and I get tired/impatient with the whining even on this forum about "Never again, Trump" stuff.

He was not who I voted for in the primary. My guy lost, so I had to vote for Trump as the alternative was worse.

It will be the same in 2020. There is not a reasonable primary challenge to Trump, and it would ensure loss to try to raise one. At this point, Never Trumpers are the most dangerous thing we face, and they should be made aware they are viewed as traitors. Not because they don't like Trump, but because they are putting personal gains ahead of the country.

So all you can do is try to influence the WH (which is not impossible), and also your congress critters.

I also don't get worked up on non-actionable stuff Trump says, though we should all be letting him and congress critters know we object. It's when action takes place (EO's or support of bills) that I really get concerned. But by then it's too late.

All the people grumbling/posting about Trump should be writing their congress critters and the WH. (Myself included)\

Meanwhile, Orange man has got some stuff done. I still agree with his approach on far more than I disagree. (Including the recent pressure on Mexico and China). The wailers are seriously overstating long term impact. So furniture and jeans go up in price. Automakers move stuff back from MX (Though MX will fold before then).

It's worth it. I've looked into trade mixes what China buys from us vs the opposite. They need us as trading partners more than we need them. Other countries will step into the gap to mfg for us.

Put another way, we'd survive a trade war with China. China would not, short term.

Back on topic, this guy (Canterbury) sucks, not as bad as some, but I'd hope for better. But ATF has never been a friend.

26 Inf
06-05-19, 10:23
Not because they don't like Trump, but because they are putting personal gains ahead of the country.

Just how many principled voters are there, that vote for someone KNOWING it will hurt their bottom line, but will be better for the majority of the country?

I would say that at this point we have arrived at this point exactly because folks, like you and me, have put their personal gains ahead of the country.

As you said, President Trump, at this point, is the necessary evil, our best bet.

Unless he steps down and does not seek a second term, there is no way another Republican can unseat him and get the party's nomination. An incumbent President opposed by a credible candidate of his own party during the primary hasn't won re-election in the modern era. So mounting a campaign against President Trump would seal our fate.

pinzgauer
06-05-19, 10:32
Just how many principled voters are there, that vote for someone KNOWING it will hurt their bottom line, but will be better for the majority of the country?

I would say that at this point we have arrived at this point exactly because folks, like you and me, have put their personal gains ahead of the country.

I see voting for Trump as exactly that type of compromise. (and for sure senators/reps)

Will hit me negatively in certain areas, but is the right thing overall for the country and thus for me.

Now admittedly, in most cases what an individual perceives as 'right for country' is largely self aligned.

But for sure, I vote on a regular basis for critters that will do things in certain areas that impact me negatively. But overall, I feel are best for the country and thus myself. (Or myself, and through my eyes, best for country)

As you said, President Trump, at this point, is the necessary evil, our best bet.

Unless he steps down and does not seek a second term, there is no way another Republican can unseat him and get the party's nomination. An incumbent President opposed by a credible candidate of his own party during the primary hasn't won re-election in the modern era. So mounting a campaign against President Trump would seal our fate.

'Zackly!

Outlander Systems
06-05-19, 10:46
#YangGang

Doc Safari
06-05-19, 10:59
I want to live in a country where ATF means "automatic transmission fluid" and nothing else.

Adrenaline_6
06-05-19, 11:02
#YangGang

Seriously...and you are bitching about Trump?

Andrew Yang on Gun Control:

As President, I will...
Promote a stringent, tiered licensing system for gun ownership (think a CDL vs. a regular driver's license):
All tiers: Pass a federal background check, eliminating the gun show loophole.
Tier 1--Basic hunting rifles and handguns: Provide a receipt for an appropriately-sized gun locker, or trigger lock per registered gun.
Tier 2--Semi-automatic rifles: Have a Tier 1 license for at least 1 year; Pass an advanced firearm safety class.
Tier 3--Advanced and automatic weaponry: Ban high-capacity magazines; Require submission of fingerprints and DNA to the FBI
Those who currently own any firearms will be grandfathered in with their current license, and for the 1-year requirement if they decide to apply for a Tier 2 license.

kwelz
06-05-19, 11:05
Hope you all are ready to turn them in.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-05/trump-says-he-s-seriously-looking-at-banning-gun-silencers-jwixwla2?fbclid=IwAR3OSIWe7fMZkClVdofdqM3Q8Ql7pIV2ry9h9BAyy8ASN05lOt1DiO01xyg

Doc Safari
06-05-19, 11:08

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-05/trump-says-he-s-seriously-looking-at-banning-gun-silencers-jwixwla2?fbclid=IwAR3OSIWe7fMZkClVdofdqM3Q8Ql7pIV2ry9h9BAyy8ASN05lOt1DiO01xyg

Isn't it peculiar how each shooting seems to mysteriously involve some gun accessory that can come up for a ban next?

Bump stocks after Vegas. Silencers after Virginia.

You watch: The next shooting will involve a pistol brace.

Outlander Systems
06-05-19, 11:09
I will happily sacrifice my suppressors on the altar of Making America Great Again! Am I right, fellow MAGApedes?

Outlander Systems
06-05-19, 11:48
Don’t care; $1000 NEETBux.

Seriously...and you are bitching about Trump?

Andrew Yang on Gun Control:

As President, I will...
Promote a stringent, tiered licensing system for gun ownership (think a CDL vs. a regular driver's license):
All tiers: Pass a federal background check, eliminating the gun show loophole.
Tier 1--Basic hunting rifles and handguns: Provide a receipt for an appropriately-sized gun locker, or trigger lock per registered gun.
Tier 2--Semi-automatic rifles: Have a Tier 1 license for at least 1 year; Pass an advanced firearm safety class.
Tier 3--Advanced and automatic weaponry: Ban high-capacity magazines; Require submission of fingerprints and DNA to the FBI
Those who currently own any firearms will be grandfathered in with their current license, and for the 1-year requirement if they decide to apply for a Tier 2 license.

docsherm
06-05-19, 12:01
What did the last ATF chief want vs what he actually got? When was the last good ATF chief?

i know this answer......... NEVER

docsherm
06-05-19, 12:07

Feel free to do what you want to do............. I see that you too are not able to keep up with all everything that is going on.

Let me guess, you still are like Bump stocks........ I never wanted one until now. Has it been challenged? Has any other President made order that they knew would not stand up to legal review ONLY to appease the ignorant masses that are the fuds and libtards? The answer is YES. Then they can say, See I am on your side and the ignorant masses that are the fuds and libtards fall for it.............

If you think it is bad now YOU would have already turned in your guns in HRC had been elected. But because she has not you only have to bitch on the internet.

Adrenaline_6
06-05-19, 12:18

OK, I get that you are into the supposed "free" money, its your right to do so, but every argument you had against Trump was worthless and stupid then. You should have just come clean beforehand.

tb-av
06-05-19, 12:28
Isn't it peculiar how each shooting seems to mysteriously involve some gun accessory that can come up for a ban next?

I'd like to know why of all things everyone is going nuts over suppressors? In the whole scenario that is the most nothing aspect of it all. Yet all of a sudden everyone wants to ban suppressors. It makes no sense.

So by the suppressor logic shouldn't scopes be banned first? They are certainly more of an advantage and with distance one can move around so the Police won't be able to find a shooter with a scope, right?

I'm surprised Coonman the baby killer even knows what a suppressor is. He's a compromised little bitch though so someone has to be squeezing him. He's vindictive on his own but who is it that actually cares about suppressors? I mean you would think the suppressor ran around the building shot people.

In VA the Republicans want to have stiffer penalties for gun crimes.

Kirk Cox: “The Governor’s call to Special Session is hasty and suspect when considered against the backdrop of the last few months. While the Governor can call a special session, he cannot specify what the General Assembly chooses to consider or how we do our work. We intend to use that time to take productive steps to address gun violence by holding criminals accountable with tougher sentences — including mandatory minimums.

Coonman the baby killer has been in hiding for 5 months due mostly to his racism being exposed. Now he wants a special session to infringe on citizens rights and leads with suppressors?

I'm not sure who has their hands in his pants but I suspect it's that PR firm and the likes of Tim Kaine. Kaine has a similar vindictive nature to Coonman.

Adrenaline_6
06-05-19, 12:35
I think it is more of an opportunistic thing. Like any predator, easy prey will be quickly dispatched.

-Suppressor was used
-Vilify the suppressor because it is easy to do and MSM will be totally on board
-Jump on bandwagon for political points and/or deflection
-Try and get laws passed to ban it - one more step closer to the ultimate goal and acceptance of it
-wait for the next easy prey

LoboTBL
06-05-19, 13:06
Suppressors are being vilified for the same reason they've been vilified in the past. Most people don't know a single fact about them and everything they think they know about them they have learned from watching movies.

tb-av
06-05-19, 13:09
Maybe so, maybe the Dems figure they can easily baffle them with BS on this one.

tb-av
06-05-19, 13:11
Do your part.......

White House

Pick up your phone and dial the White House. Dial one of the following numbers, depending on who you’d like to reach and what you’d like to say: for Comments, call 202-456-1111 (TTY/TTD 202-456-6213), or to reach the Switchboard, call 202-456-1414 (TTY/TTD Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121).[4]

The Comments line is answered by volunteers with the current administration.[5]
The Switchboard line is answered by White House staff members.[6]

Web Interface to President:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

I did mine....

Thank you for contacting the White House. We are carefully reviewing your message.

President Donald J. Trump believes the strength of our country lies in the spirit of the American people and their willingness to stay informed and get involved. President Trump appreciates your taking the time to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Office of Presidential Correspondence

kwelz
06-05-19, 13:17
Feel free to do what you want to do............. I see that you too are not able to keep up with all everything that is going on.

Let me guess, you still are like Bump stocks........ I never wanted one until now. Has it been challenged? Has any other President made order that they knew would not stand up to legal review ONLY to appease the ignorant masses that are the fuds and libtards? The answer is YES. Then they can say, See I am on your side and the ignorant masses that are the fuds and libtards fall for it.............

If you think it is bad now YOU would have already turned in your guns in HRC had been elected. But because she has not you only have to bitch on the internet.

Guess what. The election was in 2016. This is 2019. We can talk about what Clinton May or may not have done until we are blue in the face, but it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that Trump has shown himself to be no friend to us.

At least my fellow republicans would have had a spine if a democrat did it. With trump they are happy to get on their knees and thank him while he takes their rights away.

Outlander Systems
06-05-19, 13:20
Do you honestly believe that we can continue on, societally, this current trajectory?

OK, I get that you are into the supposed "free" money, its your right to do so, but every argument you had against Trump was worthless and stupid then. You should have just come clean beforehand.

Adrenaline_6
06-05-19, 13:24
Do you honestly believe that we can continue on, societally, this current trajectory?

In regards to what? ...and do you think an extra $1000 check from the government will solve it?

Most middle class working citizens will see their taxes go up to pay for this BS and will be getting less in the end, but hey, it's a $1000 check from the government, who cares about addition and subtraction!

jpmuscle
06-05-19, 13:39
In regards to what? ...and do you think an extra $1000 check from the government will solve it?

Most middle class working citizens will see their taxes go up to pay for this BS and will be getting less in the end, but hey, it's a $1000 check from the government, who cares about addition and subtraction!

Newp but hey that extra 1k can buy a decent amount of ammo and other things.

Honestly the best we can hope for is a quick accelerated decline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
06-05-19, 13:42
Finally, someone, "gets it."

Newp but hey that extra 1k can buy a decent amount of ammo and other things.

jpmuscle
06-05-19, 13:46
Finally, someone, "gets it."

I’d also add at some point we’d start being better off if folks started doing the things in the middle of the night that no one talked about out loud

Outlander Systems
06-05-19, 13:50
https://pics.me.me/when-you-finally-meet-your-internet-friends-fbi-44424975.png

I’d also add at some point we’d start being better off if folks started doing the things in the middle of the night that no one talked about out loud

tb-av
06-05-19, 14:09

The plan is to breed / indoctrinate you out of existence. No real way to accelerate that. All on this forum will be dead before their plan is accomplished.

jpmuscle
06-05-19, 14:18
https://pics.me.me/when-you-finally-meet-your-internet-friends-fbi-44424975.png

You’ve got jokes lol

26 Inf
06-05-19, 20:59
In VA the Republicans want to have stiffer penalties for gun crimes.

the baby killer has been in hiding for 5 months due mostly to his racism being exposed. Now he wants a special session to infringe on citizens rights and leads with suppressors?

I really don't see the problem with tighter sentencing for use of guns in violent crimes.

I had a bud that was on a joint ATF/his PD task force. He was a robbery detective and they took every robbery that met specific criteria the Federal versus State charging route. Sent bad guys to jail for a longer time. When they are in jail they aren't sticking guns in your lady's face wanting the money out of the till.

Even if you just momentarily go off the rails and threaten someone with a firearm, you need some quality time to either think about it, or get treatment.

JMO

tb-av
06-05-19, 21:17
Oh, I agree. I need to find the audio snippet because I thought for sure when Kirk Cox the speaker of the house was going over this. I thought he said they have bills ready that are penalty related and Coonman has said he would veto them. I can't swear that I caught that correctly though. I know he said Coonman has said he was going to veto something... implying if he couldn't ban something he would veto all else.

But yeah totally. From thinking you can threaten someone with a gun all the up the line. In fact, if someone is guilty of a crime and has pulled the trigger and tried to or killed someone, I honestly don't care if they ever get out of jail. If it's not some self defense he said / she said type deal. If it's a flat out gun oriented tried to kill.... then just throw the key away. 18 and over = life. 17 and under = 25 years.

The problem is, these nut cases already know they are in for the death sentence. They are dead men walking as they go to commit their crime. They have accepted their day and time of death for crime they are yet to commit. It's bizarre. Which makes the "ban this, ban that" self righteous Dems even more vindictive because they know these nut cases don't represent the necessity for gun laws.

Even Ginsberg and Sotomayor know that. They would never admit it but they know it.

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-05-19, 21:23

$1000 a month will buy a lot of metal coat hangers, fuel filters, adapters, and 80% lowers.

26 Inf
06-05-19, 23:10
The problem is, these nut cases already know they are in for the death sentence. They are dead men walking as they go to commit their crime. They have accepted their day and time of death for crime they are yet to commit. It's bizarre. Which makes the "ban this, ban that" self righteous Dems even more vindictive because they know these nut cases don't represent the necessity for gun laws.

If I'm tracking what you are saying, I pretty much agree, sentencing severity isn't a real deterrent to the crimes we are talking about.

I think the general attitude is that "I'm gonna live large until I get caught, prison ain't that bad, they don't really execute people that often."

We need to change that, make prison less of a gang-banger rendezvous and more of a boot-camp existence. I know once through MCRD was enough for me.

Outlander Systems
06-06-19, 03:00
Monica...

��

$1000 a month will buy a lot of metal coat hangers, fuel filters, adapters, and 80% lowers.

Firefly
06-06-19, 06:01
I’d use my NEETbux to buy that sassy Mexican maid I been talking about

tb-av
06-06-19, 07:49
If I'm tracking what you are saying, I pretty much agree, sentencing severity isn't a real deterrent to the crimes we are talking about.

I think the general attitude is that "I'm gonna live large until I get caught, prison ain't that bad, they don't really execute people that often."

We need to change that, make prison less of a gang-banger rendezvous and more of a boot-camp existence. I know once through MCRD was enough for me.

What I mean is these mass murder crimes you can't tell the criminal 'your punishment will be severe' because they are telling us... 'today is the day I die as I commit my crime'. The ones that do survive I'm not convinced they would understand the concept of stiffer penalties in the context of their existence. The ones so far have been mentally detached.

But all the others. Yes, stiffer sentences and harder prison life. Like recently a home got sprayed with bullets. If they get caught, make the rest of their life miserable. No one was killed but a woman and child were inside and their lives were devalued to zero by the shooters. Luckily they missed but there were bullets and holes everywhere. So those type criminals don't deserve to be part of our society. To add insult to injury, the Dems then equate us law abiding citizens to that element.

tb-av
06-06-19, 08:04
Speaking of Canterbury, the ASA and suppressors.......

ASA sent me another email. They want money and they want me to pass that on to others for even more money.

Then at the bottom they have this....

POTUS Statements:

We are also aware of the President’s statements regarding suppressors. As we stated earlier, the American Suppressor Association is unwavering in our support of the Second Amendment, as well as the individual right to possess suppressors. We look forward to the opportunity to discuss the realities of suppressors with the administration.

Why does that seem to ring hollow. "We care more about the 2A than anyone" Give us money and give Canterbuy the job.

On the flip side. GOA offers a fully functioning web site that interfaces to our representatives. They state factual evidence of ongoing court cases and where things stand and provided a layman summary of what it all means.

NRA..... they are sleeping on the back porch evidently.

I'm thinking we are getting screwed from both sides. The GOA and here locally the VCDL seem to be the only .orgs that are really fighting and laying it out on the table.

Everyone else seems to be saying stay cool, we got your six, send money. Again though even if you are not a member of GOA you can send pre-made letters to your reps in about 30 seconds off their web site.

jsbhike
06-06-19, 08:23
I really don't see the problem with tighter sentencing for use of guns in violent crimes.

I had a bud that was on a joint ATF/his PD task force. He was a robbery detective and they took every robbery that met specific criteria the Federal versus State charging route. Sent bad guys to jail for a longer time. When they are in jail they aren't sticking guns in your lady's face wanting the money out of the till.

Even if you just momentarily go off the rails and threaten someone with a firearm, you need some quality time to either think about it, or get treatment.

JMO

Because that gives the anti gunners a way of equating firearms with crime. Does it really matter if it is a tree limb club or a pistol during the robbery or threatening of a weaker opponent?

Also benefiting the anti gun crowd, there isn't equal application of the law. Rarely does an additional firearms charge get tacked on when the perpetrator is carrying as an LEO.

jsbhike
06-06-19, 08:54
Speaking of Canterbury, the ASA and suppressors.......

ASA sent me another email. They want money and they want me to pass that on to others for even more money.

Then at the bottom they have this....

Why does that seem to ring hollow. "We care more about the 2A than anyone" Give us money and give Canterbuy the job.

On the flip side. GOA offers a fully functioning web site that interfaces to our representatives. They state factual evidence of ongoing court cases and where things stand and provided a layman summary of what it all means.

NRA..... they are sleeping on the back porch evidently.

I'm thinking we are getting screwed from both sides. The GOA and here locally the VCDL seem to be the only .orgs that are really fighting and laying it out on the table.

Everyone else seems to be saying stay cool, we got your six, send money. Again though even if you are not a member of GOA you can send pre-made letters to your reps in about 30 seconds off their web site.

Excellent points here and thank you for pointing out ASA's scamming for Canterbury in the other thread.

BoringGuy45
06-06-19, 11:37
Because that gives the anti gunners a way of equating firearms with crime. Does it really matter if it is a tree limb club or a pistol during the robbery or threatening of a weaker opponent?

Also benefiting the anti gun crowd, there isn't equal application of the law. Rarely does an additional firearms charge get tacked on when the perpetrator is carrying as an LEO.

It does matter. If it didn't, we wouldn't care as much if they banned guns as long as we still had tree limb clubs.

I think it sends a pro-gun message to come down harder on gun crime. It's saying that we have a right in this country that is infringed upon in just about every other country in the whole world. The armed civilian is a symbol of freedom in this country, and if you commit a crime with a gun, you are spitting on that symbol of freedom. So we're going to make you pay even harder.

jsbhike
06-06-19, 11:51
It does matter. If it didn't, we wouldn't care as much if they banned guns as long as we still had tree limb clubs.

I think it sends a pro-gun message to come down harder on gun crime. It's saying that we have a right in this country that is infringed upon in just about every other country in the whole world. The armed civilian is a symbol of freedom in this country, and if you commit a crime with a gun, you are spitting on that symbol of freedom. So we're going to make you pay even harder.

Well they sure do keep coming up with new gun crimes so it doesn't seem to be getting the angle you indicate.

When someone can commit a crime against a citizen (physical attack, theft of/damage to property, or some combination there of) and the perp gets a harsher sentence over a firearms charge than the attack on the victim, then any semblance of justice left town.

That gets compounded even more with the potential penalty for possessing a bump stock being more than if another person took it upon themself to knock a citizen over the head and take their wallet. Gun crime and all.

And what message does it send when the officially armed commit crimes and don't get the add on charge exactly?

lowprone
06-06-19, 14:29
Keep telling ya, in politics if it happens it was planned, it's not a mistake.
This is how Trump can screw us and claim deniability.
It's a big club and we ain't in it !!!!!

Diamondback
09-27-19, 17:53
Just to update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxR7RYuF2fU
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/09/27/trumps-nominee-head-atf-sunk-due-gun-control-stances/

So, who all else are likely nominees from the "high profile top-cop" crowd, and what kinds of folks would WE like? A bunch of activists I know are trying to agitate for Dana Loesch despite lack of apparent creds, just for the Splodeyheadness that would result...

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-27-19, 20:04
Can someone explain what actually happened?

Diamondback
09-27-19, 20:08
More coverage:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-e2-80-99s-pick-for-atf-head-in-jeopardy-amid-wavering-republican-support/ar-AAHWR4m

"Chuck Canterbury does NOT have sufficient support in the Judiciary Committee and is now expected to be held up instead of getting a vote today," a GOP Senate aide told the Free Beacon on Thursday morning. "Republican members are (1) Concerned about his stances on gun control, and (2) there is still some bad blood for him flipping the Fraternal Order of Police in support of the First Step Act (after opposing the more moderate version), allegedly in exchange for the ATF Director nomination."

"His 2A views are bad and he'd lose a lot of votes in committee," a second Senate source told the Free Beacon. "We expect the White House will pull him given lack of support from Republicans on the Judiciary Committee."

At least one Republican senator, Utah's Mike Lee, seemed to agree with this assessment when reached for comment.

"Sen. Lee has concerns about Canterbury's Second Amendment views and is pleased the markup has been delayed," Lee's office told the Free Beacon.
--from https://freebeacon.com/politics/senate-republicans-shut-down-atf-nominee/

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-28-19, 02:59
We have to get someone at the ATF to put in the public record that ARs (MSRs) are in common usage. It is one of the bedrock facts that has to be in place for the SCOTUS case. We don't want Roberts working his majic on that.