PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Systems MR918 Glock 19 Clone

Tokarev
06-07-19, 19:27
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/05/new-multi-role-mr918-9mm-pistol-shadow-systems-releases/

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/mr918/

VKw0qDfpfPE

Has anyone handled/shot one of these yet?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Texaspoff
06-07-19, 19:28
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/05/new-multi-role-mr918-9mm-pistol-shadow-systems-releases/

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/mr918/

VKw0qDfpfPE

Has anyone handled/shot one of these yet?

Me......:haha:

TXPO

Tokarev
06-07-19, 19:31
Nice guns don't you think?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/4dbe73d28bcf5849d86679d431a6c9b0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/32df36120f12f294c9fe7996f0fe1546.jpg

Texaspoff
06-07-19, 20:41
Very much so.

TXPO

joe.a
06-08-19, 05:10
I've been following your thread over on PF. If i was in the market for a G19, this would 100% be my choice, specifically because of that thread. I hope you guys keep putting them through their paces.

Tokarev
06-08-19, 06:52
This gun is, in my opinion, what Glock should be making. If not this exact pistol then a version close to this.

Glock has made some changes lately with market pressure from competitors but the gun still lacks some kind of permanent beavertail. I have fairly large hands and get a fairly high grip. These two things don't go well with Glock in my experience.

While it is true that Glock now makes some clip-on backstrap pieces that include a beavertail, these have always struck me as something Glock did to appease the market as opposed to something they thought was actually needed. A permanent beavertail as used on the MR918 is long enough to keep me from getting cut yet short enough that it shouldn't change anything with regard to concealment. Plus it is much easier for someone to grind an unwanted beavertail off as opposed to adding a permanent beavertail on.

Really the only complaint I have with the gun so far is the optics mount which is moot since I don't have an optics ready slide version. Anyway, Shadow is only offering slides cut for an RMR at this point. I think they should license the Unity Tactical system or develop their own version of the MOS so pretty much any red dot can be used.

Probably the only other thing the gun needs is an ambi slide release. That may or may not be a big deal to some users. Whether or not Shadow could get away with cloning a Gen 5 (or hybridization of a Gen 5) without getting sued is another topic.

My hope is that the gun will be a sales success for Shadow and will lead to some type of 17/45/47 variant.

The focus in this photo is more on the front sight. But notice the slight increase in frame beavertail. It is unobtrusive yet effective. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/2699715f500cc431e47261b3f426d4ca.jpg

signal4l
06-08-19, 09:36
That is a very interesting firearm. I agree that Glock should modernize their weapon systems with a more ergonomic frame. If this new pistol holds up and proves to be durable, it would be a nice alternative to a $2,000 ZEV version.

Having said that , I don't see how a company can make something like this and not get sued. How does it not infringe on Glock patents?

Tokarev
06-08-19, 09:46
Having said that , I don't see how a company can make something like this and not get sued. How does it not infringe on Glock patents?

As you probably remember, Glock sued S&W over the Simga and pretty much won. From what I remember with all that, Smith had to pay Glock and also agree not to sell the Sigma outside the United States.

I've read the Glock patent has since expired which might account for the lack of lawsuits and explosion of aftermarket parts.

Texaspoff
06-08-19, 10:43
As you probably remember, Glock sued S&W over the Simga and pretty much won. From what I remember with all that, Smith had to pay Glock and also agree not to sell the Sigma outside the United States.

I've read the Glock patent has since expired which might account for the lack of lawsuits and explosion of aftermarket parts.

That is correct the patent is up on the general Glock design. The patents held now are for specific design characteristic of the Glock platform, the backstrap system, the redesign of the 5th gen internals things such as that.

Shadow should be good since I have no doubt they checked all that out before they invested in the cost of manufacturing the frames.

TXPO

Tokarev
06-08-19, 10:49
That is correct the patent is up on the general Glock design. The patents held now are for specific design characteristic of the Glock platform, the backstrap system redesign of the 5th gen internals things such as that.

Shadow should be good since I have no doubt they checked all that out before they invested in the cost of manufacturing the frames.

TXPODidn't Ruger sue a Filipino company over a 10/22 knockoff some years back? From what I recall the lawsuit wasn't over any patent infringement but rather the cosmetic attributes of the gun. I wonder if something like that could be brought against Shadow, ZEV, Lone Wolf etc. But maybe Glock doesn't see these little guys as much of a threat in the general market.

But I'm going off memory and might be totally wrong about the 10/22 lawsuit.

RWH24
06-08-19, 12:23
commbloc74 on Instagram recently bought one. First I had ever seen.

turnburglar
06-08-19, 14:00
I have always looked at the $1500+ custom glocks and said: "yea, no thanks"

BUT THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

Tokarev
06-08-19, 14:05
I have always looked at the $1500+ custom glocks and said: "yea, no thanks"

Especially when the expensive "upgrades" are nothing more than cosmetic speed holes and such.

jpmuscle
06-08-19, 14:08
Let me know when someone starts putting match hard fit barrels in their “Gucci” glocks

Otherwise meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
06-08-19, 14:18
lol no thanks.
I dont use a Glock 19 for any extra. I just use it to put in work

turnburglar
06-08-19, 14:54
Especially when the expensive "upgrades" are nothing more than cosmetic speed holes and such.

These are speed holes I can finally afford.

The part that has always miffed me about custom glocks was that no matter how much money I sink into the gun you cant get ANY better of a trigger. I litterally have 4 connectors and like a half dozen springs, and tried all different combinations. Just made the trigger worse.

Tokarev
06-08-19, 15:04
Let me know when someone starts putting match hard fit barrels in their “Gucci” glocks

Otherwise meh

I believe Fowler Industries is installing a "match fit" barrel in his builds.

The part that has always miffed me about custom glocks was that no matter how much money I sink into the gun you cant get ANY better of a trigger. I litterally have 4 connectors and like a half dozen springs, and tried all different combinations. Just made the trigger worse.

Too much overtravel or something else?

Tokarev
06-08-19, 16:44
Not terribly surprised to see Dan B. running one of these since he already has an LFT edition slide from Shadow Systems:

https://www.facebook.com/LeadFaucetTactical/videos/2254567451293794/

Texaspoff
06-08-19, 16:56

Otherwise meh

Will do....cause my 918 would surely benefit from a fitted barrel...... :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/Ab1xd4c.jpg

Unfortunately due to the Glock fire control design you can only get so much out of them. I stopped going down that rabbit hole years ago and just started working with what they are.

TXPO

turnburglar
06-08-19, 16:59
Too much overtravel or something else?

I just didnt like the spongy-ness of the break. The best break is the stock connector, and if you want it any lighter than that its a mush factory. VP9 and others have a good break and lighter trigger. And zero sponge.

Tokarev
06-08-19, 17:05
I just didnt like the spongy-ness of the break. The best break is the stock connector, and if you want it any lighter than that its a mush factory. VP9 and others have a good break and lighter trigger. And zero sponge.I like the 320 trigger for those reasons but the Glock trigger works okay. Not great but workable.

jpmuscle
06-08-19, 19:47
Will do....cause my 918 would surely benefit from a fitted barrel...... :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/Ab1xd4c.jpg

Unfortunately due to the Glock fire control design you can only get so much out of them. I stopped going down that rabbit hole years ago and just started working with what they are.

TXPO

So it shoots as well as an oem Glock barrel but costs twice as much? Congratulations?

Texaspoff
06-08-19, 20:39
So it shoots as well as an oem Glock barrel but costs twice as much? Congratulations?

Yes it does, But it didn't cost $1300 or even $1000 LE pricing on Glocks, which is what two Glocks would cost me.
https://i.imgur.com/EAtIFECl.jpg

The grip also feels as good as one of my fully modified grips. My modified G19 cost a bit more than the 918, if you add my labor and what everything else cost to do.

https://i.imgur.com/iiCW8erl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Mq1e8SXl.jpg

If you take a $550 dollar glock, and add 100 night sights, your around $650. With roughly the $150 more your paying, you get a much better grip, nicer trigger, fancier slide with a better finish, match grade barrel with traditional rifling, (cast friendly) and all machined internals. I have nor would I ever pay 1800 plus dollars for a fancied up Glock, but for what you get in MR918, $800 is certainly not obscene.

The 918 isn't for everyone, but I wanted something different, without having to take out a loan, or build it myself.

TXPO

Tokarev
06-08-19, 21:05
No finger grooves, a built-in beavertail and back straps that slide onto a dovetail rather than sort of clip on and are held on by the plastic trigger housing pin. What's not to like?

From shopping around I was able to buy my MR918 for a hair under $700 before tax. The same shop had NIB Gen 4 19s for a bit north of $500 without night sights.

Texaspoff
06-08-19, 21:06
No finger grooves, a built-in beavertail and back straps that slide onto a dovetail rather than sort of clip on and are held on by the plastic trigger housing pin. What's not to like?

From shopping around I was able to buy my MR918 for a hair under $700 before tax. The same shop had NIB Gen 4 19s for a bit north of $500 without night sights.

Haters are just gonna Hate.......:sarcastic:

TXPO

26 Inf
06-08-19, 22:04
Haters are just gonna Hate.......:sarcastic:

TXPO

Nah, $700.00 for something that has the accoutrements that you want, folks should be happy for you.

Of course, it's not Glock-Spec so it has to be listed as hobby-grade, nothing that I'd want to take to the two-way range, your sample of one means nothing compared to the thousands of Glock users, probably the components are all Glock rejects, and FN will make barrels to any spec,,,,(did I miss anything?) :cool:

19X pretty much fit my needs - barrel, trigger and grip. I don't have problems with getting slide bit by Glocks so that isn't a big selling point for me.

Interested to hear long term results.

Tokarev
06-08-19, 22:36
I don't have problems with getting slide bit by Glocks so that isn't a big selling point for me.

I get bit badly and I'm not the only one.

I'm actually surprised Glock hasn't done a real beavertail for people like me. Some people would bitch about the addition of a permanent beavertail but I doubt most people would. Those who need the beavertail would be grateful. Those who don't probably wouldn't even notice the difference. Besides, it is probably much easier to grind an unwanted beavertail off than add one after purchase.

Tokarev
06-09-19, 08:44
I shot my MR918 and my Nomad Defense frame put together with Gen 4 Glock 19 parts yesterday. Both guns were fired from a padded rest from 25 yards and were tested using the same ammo. I fired 25 rounds in five round groups for a total of 75 rounds through each gun.

First off, I think I prefer the Nomad grip shape over that of the MR918. It is more rounded than I usually prefer but I don't feel like my hand is quite as "crowded" if that makes sense. But the Nomad texture is smoother than the Shadow Systems and not nearly as effective. Both frames have a permanent beavertail so I had no issues with slide bite from either gun.

The Nomad trigger, being a stock Glock part, is a little heavier than the Shadow but it doesn't have as much pre-travel and has a crisper break. My Shadow trigger is a little gritty but is getting better and better with use.

Ammo used was 124 grain Federal HST, Winchester 147 grain White Box JHP and Winchester USA Forged steel case 115 grain. The only malfunction I had was in the Shadow. It was a failure to eject when using the steel case stuff.

Here are my results:

Nomad/Glock
124 HST
Avg MV 1178.4
Avg group 3.04"

115 Steel
Avg MV 1144.6
Avg group 2.07"

147 WWB
Avg MV 946.1
Avg group 2.44"

Overall 2.51"

MR918
124 HST
Avg MV 1147.4
Avg group 2.56"

115 Steel
Avg MV 1145.3
Avg group 3.16"

147 WWB
Avg MV 919.9
Avg group 2.18"

Overall 2.63"

As can be seen, I shot slightly better groups with the MR with the USA Forged ammo being the exception. The Glock barrel really liked that stuff. It wasn't terrible through the MR but the Glock barrel seemed to work well with it.

Both guns are generally fun and easy to shoot and are a different take on what's possible with a Glock frame while maintaining parts compatibility. The Shadow frame is a Glock 19 frame in general shape while the Nomad frame kind of reminds me of an M&P.

Here are pictures of both. The Nomad has a Brownell's slide in these photos but I used a stock Glock 19 slide for my accuracy testing.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190609/a8084965ad3910c7c67f91af2b32b2a2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190609/0c62be646abbee71394d4980149ccf9e.jpg

Last mag of the day was fifteen rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 +P through the MR918. I shot this group from 10 yards standing. Pulled one a little low and left.
Oops!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190609/405238cb14629abe02952bc2ec937a74.jpg

556BlackRifle
06-09-19, 10:13
Thanks for the report Tokarev. Both pistols are sweet shooters. I'll be keeping an eye on the 918, maybe it will be the G19 killer.

Tokarev
06-09-19, 17:05
A couple more groups. These are standing offhand at 25 yards.

10 rounds loaded with a 124 grain cast SWC made by Montana Bullet Works:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190609/fb6d58b719f452d02ea16483e6d1544c.jpg

10 rounds of 147 grain HST:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190609/753e476f0b557e6d9a0003cf70141979.jpg

EzGoingKev
06-10-19, 14:16
I think the frame is what Glock what should be shipping their pistols with right now.

Texaspoff
06-10-19, 16:35
I think the frame is what Glock what should be shipping their pistols with right now.

I think most who have 918's agree. At least the 918 frame is what a stock Glock frame manufactured in 2019 should look like.

Glocks are fantastic weapons, don't get me wrong, and as good as the 5th gen is compared to earlier gens, thats all the development they could muster in 34 years?

I mean Shadow Systems was able to pull off a redesigned Glock-ish frame in roughly two years. :cool:

There wasn't any magical unicorn dust needed either. The 918 will accept all 4th Gen parts, and vise versa, and they were able to do it within the current Glock design envelope.

The MR918 is more about the frame and it's improved ergonomics and features than it is about the pistol as a whole. All the other things about it are just icing on the cake.

Glock could have improved their ergos, they have just chosen not to for whatever reason.

TXPO

EzGoingKev
06-10-19, 16:40
Glocks are fantastic weapons, don't get me wrong, and as good as the 5th gen is compared to earlier gens, thats all the development they could muster in 34 years.

I am going to tell you something I have been saying to co-workers for years.

Don't ever confuse what can't be done with we are too cheap to do.

ViniVidivici
06-10-19, 16:46

Exactly. Their lack of innovation over the years is due to their huge sales volumes and market shares they enjoyed for so long.

Loss of market share to competitors is the only reason they've done anything different, methinks.

Texaspoff
06-10-19, 16:57

Agreed on both counts. The Original Glock design has forever won a place in history. Glock was never hurting for money by any means, and The current line of competition is likely the only thing that spurred the revisions they have come up with. Well that and competing for Gov contracts. Remember the 5th Gen was derived from the "M" guns which was basically designed by the Feds RFP. So glock redesigned the internals, added the ambi slide release Per RFP, and dropped the finger humps, pre the RFP. I'm not even sure that qualifies as evolutionary. Now the 5th Gen trigger are improved, but a 5th Gen gun still looks a lot like a 2nd gen gun, except it has the silly back strap system and beveled slide. Oh and they revised the barrel.

I often wonder if Glock even had a set design for the 5th gen gun prior to that. I mean they even left the cutout on the front strap per RFP, when they knew good and well people didn't want that which is why they deleted it on the late third gen guns.

4th Gen sales were good, and they were still selling 3rd Gen guns to contracts, why bother.

I hope they have and are learning what happens when you sit too long. I have used this comparison before, but Colt travelled down the same road. Once the patent ran out on the 1911 design, Kimber and a short time later other manufacturers gave people what they wanted in a 1911.

Other manufacturers are doing the same thing with Glocks now.

TXPO

Tokarev
06-10-19, 17:09
This is why I bought my MR918 and also have a 19 frame from Nomad Defense. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190610/03eca8af4baf571c41c5c50503687f8e.jpg

26 Inf
06-10-19, 23:11
This is why I bought my MR918 and also have a 19 frame from Nomad Defense.

People are built differently, but I can only recall being slide bit by a pistol once. I have been hammer bit, though.

Obviously, you've addressed the problem, but just for curiosity's sake, how do you drive your hand to your grip in the holster?

I tend to work off touch points. By the time I really started paying attention to the finer nuances of the draw, I was teaching out of the early Safariland Raptor, so I grooved the movement for that holster. My elbow rotates rearward and up, my hand hits the rib area and my thumb brushes the side as I drive the hand down, the thumb hits the retention on the bale of the Raptor and I drive forward into the back strap as the bale rotates forward. I think this movement tends to push the roll of skin in the web of the hand down/out of the way. Since I have so many draw strokes out of that holster, I do essentially the same thing with all holsters (I still shoot action pistol out of that old Raptor when I use a Glock).

Cutting to the chase, it could be if you are planting the web of your hand high on the backstrap and rolling your wrist to establish your grip, you could be pushing loose skin in the web of your hand up.

Of course I could be full of do do, and, as I've said, you have cured the problem.

MountainRaven
06-10-19, 23:49
The barrels in the Gen5 Glocks is not the same barrel as in the 19M/17M (at least not the FBI 19M and 17M). Those barrels are traditionally rifled, while the Gen5s have polygonally rifled barrels, although they are a different type of polygonal rifling from Gen4 and prior generation Glocks.

Tokarev
06-11-19, 08:22
People are built differently, but I can only recall being slide bit by a pistol once. I have been hammer bit, though.

I have a fairly long thumb and a fleshy hand.

Back in the old days when we used to shoot more of a "thumbs down" grip, I had no issue shooting a Glock. Later, as my grip matured and I started using the more modern "thumbs up" grip, I started getting cut.

Obviously the Glock Gen4/5 beavertail addition helps with the cutting but I don't want something that's essentially making the grip even longer and narrower. The Grip Force adapter is similar to the Glock design and is uncomfortable. Anyway, had Glock gone with something more like the M&P wrap-around or the HK P30/VP series I probably wouldn't have issues.

The other obvious alternative is to shoot something else like the M&P, CZ P10C or the SIG 320.

essray
06-11-19, 08:25
I have a fairly long thumb and a fleshy hand.

Back in the old days when we used to shoot more of a "thumbs down" grip, I had no issue shooting a Glock. Later, as my grip matured and I started using the more modern "thumbs up" grip, I started getting cut.

Obviously the Glock Gen4/5 beavertail addition helps with the cutting but I don't want something that's essentially making the grip even longer and narrower. The Grip Force adapter is similar to the Glock design and is uncomfortable. Anyway, had Glock gone with something more like the M&P wrap-around or the HK P30/VP series I probably wouldn't have issues.

The other obvious alternative is to shoot something else like the M&P, CZ P10C or the SIG 320.

I took the medium back strap an chopped the portion after the pin off. Tada. Beaver tail with no added grip bulk.

Tokarev
06-11-19, 08:29
I took the medium back strap an chopped the portion after the pin off. Tada. Beaver tail with no added grip bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep.

My agency is transitioning to the Glock over the next couple years. Once I'm issued the new gun I'll chop the beavertail extension as you've done.

Here is a Glock 19X modified by Boresight Solutions:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190611/f7c6379622cf76ea124b71b2aa44af87.jpg

Texaspoff
06-11-19, 10:47
The barrels in the Gen5 Glocks is not the same barrel as in the 19M/17M (at least not the FBI 19M and 17M). Those barrels are traditionally rifled, while the Gen5s have polygonally rifled barrels, although they are a different type of polygonal rifling from Gen4 and prior generation Glocks.

While I haven't personally held an FBI issued and owned "M" gun in hand, I have fondled an "M" gun and that barrel was identical to the 5th gen barrels.

The all still use polygonal barrels, but the 5th Gen and M gun I saw have raised edges to better grab the bullet. It is what Glock calls their Marksmen Barrels.

This article outlines the specs on the FBI "M"guns as well. It is referred to as a Polygonal Hybrid barrel.

https://www.swatmag.com/article/fbi-issues-new-pistol-glock-19m/

TXPO

Tokarev
06-11-19, 19:09
Nice https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/c1ef52a5c6476a3c570f60881069874a.jpg

Texaspoff
06-11-19, 20:09
Took mine apart tonight to give is a little lube and check out the internals for any oddities. Everything looks perfect, no strange wear marks and it looks GTG for Thursday. I'll update after the day, then she will get a through cleaning and inspection. I am more impressed with the little MR the more I shoot it.

TXPO

Tokarev
06-11-19, 20:28
Took mine apart tonight to give is a little lube and check out the internals...

How tight is your locking block? Mine comes out of the frame with ease. The block is usually pretty tight in a Glock. Especially when new.

Texaspoff
06-11-19, 20:46
Same with mine, I was concerned with it at first, but it hasn't effected accuracy at all. Accuracy just keeps getting better and better. It really seems to have settled in during todays session. I ran 6 mags through it at one time, including a dump on three of them to see how it would handle heating up. It didn't cause any issues and the block is still the same, no more loose or tight, and no abnormal marks or wear.

My Glocks fit tight as well, but it never helped them shoot any better, so I'm not to worried about it. When the slide and barrel is locked up, the barrel should be putting pressure on the locking block, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Should it become a problem, I will contact Shadow, but at this point i'm good with it. Not good or bad, just different. I have no doubt that Shadow Systems would make it right if a problem develops from it.

TXPO

essray
06-11-19, 21:01
I’m looking for a nomad 9 in Milwaukee. I got my hands on one when I dropped in at Rainer Arms a few months ago.

Tokarev
06-12-19, 05:47
I’m looking for a nomad 9 in Milwaukee. I got my hands on one when I dropped in at Rainer Arms a few months ago.

Here's my Nomad frame with a recently purchased Gen 5 top half.

Maybe contact Nomad directly and see if they can recommend a shop in your area.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/3b5d7111449cce2e0be6c09d5f9851f7.jpg

essray
06-12-19, 20:28
Here's my Nomad frame with a recently purchased Gen 5 top half.

Maybe contact Nomad directly and see if they can recommend a shop in your area.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/3b5d7111449cce2e0be6c09d5f9851f7.jpg

Do you like the frame more than OEM? G4 frames are rare and I have 2 g19.4 slides sitting idle. I’m hoping for a gen 4 p80 soon.

Tokarev
06-12-19, 21:00
Do you like the frame more than OEM? G4 frames are rare and I have 2 g19.4 slides sitting idle. I’m hoping for a gen 4 p80 soon.

I like the frame pretty well. It has a 1913 rail instead of the Glock light rail. It has flared finger/thumb points above the trigger guard and the trigger guard itself is a little bigger than the factory Glock. It has replaceable backstap panels that blend well into the frame. Most important to me is the extended beavertail.

I wish the texture was a little more aggressive. I also wish Nomad had a flatter backstrap insert. Holsters might be a little tricky. I have an old leather Bianchi IWB that fits the Nomad but it won't fit in the few Glock kydex holsters I have. It will, however, fit in a Safariland duty holster that's made for a Glock 19 with a TLR-1.

As with the Shadow, the unknown is the polymer material used. Will it hold up over the long haul?

Texaspoff
06-12-19, 21:22
I spoke to Shadow today about my replacing the slide release and mag release. No problems with warranty or anything else. They said replacing the barrel or trigger or some other part that is directly related to the internal workings of the gun can void the warranty if those parts cause issues. They were very nice about everything and It didn't sound like there would be much of an issue in the event of a warranty claim. He said they did a Shit ton of testing with these so they are pretty confident in them.

I'm just gonna run the crap out of mine and see what happens. Whats the worst thing, I have to get it warrantied and carry a regular glock again... :)

TXPO

Tokarev
06-13-19, 06:05
I have an old leather Bianchi IWB that fits the Nomad but it won't fit in the few Glock kydex holsters I have. It will, however, fit in a Safariland duty holster that's made for a Glock 19 with a TLR-1.

On a related note; JM Custom Kydex out of Nevada is making holsters for the Nomad. I have one of their IWB holsters for a Browning Hi-Power and have been happy with it.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/

Tokarev
06-13-19, 06:10
He said they did a Shit ton of testing with these so they are pretty confident in them.

That's good news. Did he mention anything about drop testing? I wonder how durable the frame material is. It feels solid and doesn't really have any "give" like the Glock frame material. Not that it is a huge concern but I wonder how brittle the frame will become in extreme cold.

Texaspoff
06-14-19, 08:08
Well nothing to report about yesterdays training session with the MR. 645 rounds fired, and nothing other than plain ole boring reliability. To date I have just over 900 rounds through my MR918 with out any failures. Several folks got to shoot it yesterday and all remarked on how much they liked the way the pistol shot. One thing to note, this pistol didn't get very dirty during the 900 plus rounds. I have not cleaned it since new, and last night was the first time I finally gave it a cleaning.

I took the pistol down, and just wiped off the major components, to look for any abnormal wear patterns or issues. The images below are from just a general wipe down, not a thorough cleaning. That came after the pics. Everything looked normal, and there was very little wear, At least no more than your average Gen 5 gun. At this point the MR has proven GTG so I have placed it into my On/Off duty carry rotation. I'll continue to monitor it's progression and if anything develops I'll report. I am extremely impressed and very happy with the performance displayed by the MR918.

https://i.imgur.com/JtgvUz7.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/klM7RAX.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/hd96b1v.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/6Aqc3jG.jpg?1

TXPO

Tokarev
06-15-19, 19:22
Some pretty good propaganda on the various slide serrations Shadow Systems uses:

https://youtu.be/XBoKZEpJnvo

jpmuscle
06-15-19, 19:26
Does anyone in this thread have a financial interest in this company?

Because it feels like that

Tokarev
06-15-19, 19:32

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot me. Just really surprised at the thought and attention to detail that seems to have gone into the 918.

Texaspoff
06-15-19, 20:08

None here either, just some super nice folks when I have talked with them. As Tok has said, they payed a lot of attention to details when they designed and built this gun.

TXPO

Tokarev
06-16-19, 08:03

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLooking back we do seem to be rather sycophantic.

EzGoingKev
06-17-19, 18:38
I wish you could buy a parts kits and put it together yourself.

Tokarev
06-18-19, 22:52
I wish you could buy a parts kits and put it together yourself.Shadow Systems sells quite a few parts. Not the exact same thing as the MR918 but they do have some different options as far as barrels and slides and stuff.

I assume they will sell stripped frames once the initial demand for complete pistols dies down.

Tokarev
06-23-19, 14:05
I was out this morning goofing around a bit at 15 and 25 yards. I was finishing off what remained of a batch of 150gr RNL loaded with 3.2gr of Titegroup.

The gun seems to shoot about right, elevation-wise, at 25 yards with the heavier stuff. As mentioned, the sights are excellent. Easy to see and use with good light bars on both sides of the front sight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190623/87a74b299035845cb136b35e0e498e3e.jpg

Tokarev
07-19-19, 20:52
Brokos working an MR918

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190720/6e362df95b987c8f3236ccafafa090c0.jpg

Tokarev
10-26-19, 20:36
I'm attending a Gabe White pistol class this weekend and have been running my MR918. No issues to report with the gun. The trigger is good. Repeatable and predictable. I've had a couple instances where my support hand has interfered with the slide stop. And the gun shoots a little high for me if I sort of let my concentration wander. Both are not uncommon for me with Glocks.

We ran a number of fairly low round count drills this morning but the drills got a bit more intense later on. Total rounds fired at any one time was about sixty rounds.

I haven't noticed any heat issues at all with the frame. I am running the gun with a TLR-7 attached and wonder if the light isn't acting like a heat sink. The slide has gotten pretty toasty but not the frame. Not that I've found anyway.

More tomorrow. But so far no issues related to the gun itself.

I did pull my Sokol Hi-Power out for the last two drills. The gun feels "round" after shooting the Glock copy all day. Good times!

Gary1911A1
10-27-19, 08:37
At my local gun club another member has been shooting one and he brags about how well it shoots and it certainly seems to in the matches we have shot together. I'm about afraid to ask him to let me shoot a few rounds through it as it will make me want to buy one.

Tokarev
11-02-19, 14:23
Confirmed via bookface as well as a phone call; they are working on a full-sized pistol. It should be on the market next year.

Tokarev
12-19-19, 04:19
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/16/tfb-review-shadow-systems-mr918/?fbclid=IwAR0dKfH5mgGGnRcCpywaN7dzusbdf8GJUK8jqY1S5E_lkBe5XoiNRm-xq-s

Magsz
12-26-19, 21:34
Full size pistols are appetizing.

Im not a huge fan of G19 sized pistols but I can appreciate their existence.

So, who in here has a super high round count pistol? I'm curious to see if these things are going to stand the test of time.

Tokarev
12-27-19, 16:13
Full size pistols are appetizing.

Im not a huge fan of G19 sized pistols but I can appreciate their existence.

So, who in here has a super high round count pistol? I'm curious to see if these things are going to stand the test of time.Not meaning to be a dick but what is your definition of super high round count?

Tokarev
01-05-20, 18:21
I decided it was time to get rid of the 124gr HST I've been carrying around in this gun for about six months. I replaced it with 147gr +P.

It was only 31 rounds of 124 followed by a few rounds of 147 to verify point of aim at 25 yards but I continue to be pleased and impressed with my MR918.

Tokarev
11-30-20, 18:20
Anyone else seen this?

https://shadowsystemsdefense.com/dr920/

It'll be nice to have a full-size pistol to accompany the MR918/MR920.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk