PDA

View Full Version : Optics for M4

Ravelco
11-11-08, 08:17
I just purchased a Colt 6920 and I want to put a scope on it. Yesterday I spent many hours going from Gun Store to Gun Store listening to different stories about what I should put on the M4. Now I am confused! Someone told me that ACog is without a doubt the best that I could go with. But what size. I looked at their webite and they have many different power scopes.

Thanks
:confused:

austinN4
11-11-08, 08:30
I just purchased a Colt 6920 and I want to put a scope on it. Yesterday I spent many hours going from Gun Store to Gun Store listening to different stories about what I should put on the M4. Now I am confused! Someone told me that ACog is without a doubt the best that I could go with. But what size. I looked at their webite and they have many different power scopes.

What are you going to use it for? Makes a difference. See the optics threads at
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13

mmike87
11-11-08, 08:52
Yes, you really have to answer that question first. There are tons of quality optics suitable for M4 style weapons, and no single optic is optimial for every usage scenario.

JBnTX
11-11-08, 09:00
I have the TA01 NSN 4x ACOG and it works perfectly with
my 6920 and 55gr XM193 ammo.

JAYTEAM
11-12-08, 19:43
I bought a TR21-3 that I use on my LMT.

Jay

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9045/dscf1532mediumte2.jpg

FJB
11-14-08, 09:25
Make sure you watch www.downrange.tv/show2 video clips Part 2 & 3 before making your decision.

S/F

ElectricFactory
11-14-08, 15:40
Am extremely pleased with the ACOG. Once I navigated around the steep entry price curve I never looked back. Here's mine;
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_5314.jpg

John_Wayne777
11-14-08, 19:54

Thanks
:confused:

How you intend to use the weapon, as others have said, is the key to deciding which optic you want.

For a general purpose carbine for the ordinary civilian or even law enforcement officer, the zero parallax red dot style reflex sight is unquestionably the best option. They are incredibly useful from point blank range out to 200 yards. It's extremely unlikely that civilian users in CONUS will ever need to engage a threat out past that range, thus if a defensive carbine is their intended purpose the red dot really is THE way to go.

Of the red dots out there, the Aimpoint is head and shoulders above everybody else in terms of durability and battery life. ANY of the Aimpoints will serve you well, so don't feel like you have to drop 800 bucks on the M4 military model. As an Aimpoint rep pointed out to a class I attended once, even the "entry level" Aimpoints will exceed the requirements most people have of a red dot optic.

Optics like the ACOG are VERY nice optics...but they kind of suck for up close work. If you're going to be doing the majority of your shooting out past 50-100 yards, the 4 power ACOGS are SUPERB optics. If, however, you try to use one when something goes bump in the night in your house, you are likely to find the magnification to be a hindrance rather than a help.

Mission dictates equipment, so figuring out the mission you have for the weapon is your first priority.

As for the gunshops...even though I have a warm spot in my heart for walking into a gunshop and seeing all those weapons, I have to say that some of the stupidest things I've ever heard have come from people working in gunshops. Some of the people working in gunshops are really knowledgeable and really good...but in my experience these knowledgeable individuals are outnumbered at least two to one by people who don't have a clue.

Here at M4C you have access to industry professionals, experienced end users, and even individuals who have used some of the equipment discussed to defend their lives and our country. In other words, if you're looking for good information, you've come to the right place. ;)