PDA

View Full Version : How I AIWB?

MountainRaven
06-10-19, 15:10
I have an Eidolon (one of the January 2015 pre-release holsters).

I had a CNC Keroman.

I have a Dale Fricke.

I have an Incog.

I have a Keeper.

I have a ripoff of a Wilderness Instructor belt (I had an actual Wilderness, I don't know where it went, but I have a 5.11 clone).

I have an Ares Aegis.

I have a Mean Gene Aegis.

I have a Magpul Tejas el Original.

I have a Milt Sparks leather belt.

I have tried a Glock 43, a Glock 19, an Agency Roland Special (Agency tricked out G19 with comp, X300, RMR), an Agency Fauxland Special (Agency tricked out G17 with short comp, RMR, with and without X300), and most recently a Beretta 92G Elite LTT.

I have read almost everything I can on the subject. I've watched videos of skinny dudes and fat dudes explaining how they make AIWB work for them.

So far, I've been able to get it comfortable. Or concealed. Or neither. But not both. It's frustrating.

Any advice? Or should I just accept that AIWB won't work for me and truck on with my behind the hip OWB/IWB ways?

omegajb
06-10-19, 16:52
What are you usually doing when you carry like this? Are you sitting, driving or bending over a lot?
Is the holster digging into your pelvis or is the grip digging into your stomach?

Appendix carry isn't great for sitting or bending over, just the nature of where the barrel sits.

Sometimes people have them riding too deep, the Incog has a deep concealment clip and if you move it up a set of screw holes it might be more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

06-10-19, 17:40
What kind of pants do you usually wear? Younger guys seem to like pants with lower waistbands which make it harder to conceal and get comfortable

Where at on your belt line are you carrying?

For a starting point I would sugges
... a normal pair of pants/jeans not designer or fitted type
... Cnc or keeper holster
... a less stiff belt, something suitable for strongside carry is to stiff and doesn’t let the AIWB holster features work
... 1 o’clock or 11 if a lefty

That combo should be either comfortable or concealable then you can tweak position etc to get both

MountainRaven
06-10-19, 22:05
I have cargo pants from TAD and Crye, Carhartt's, an old-er pair of TAD jeans (which are probably more designer than anything else I own - and I don't think I've tried to AIWB in them... maybe ever).

I have tried just about everything from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, but I mostly try to get it so the barrel of the gun sits in the crease between by thigh and my groin around 1-ish o'clock.

The 5.11 riggers belt knockoff is pretty flexible.

And I can kinda sit down. I can't really bend over to tie my shoes, though. And I'm confused by Keepers writing that he can comfortably sit, stand, bend over, &c. with an AIWB holster. In fact... that seems to be a lot of what I've read about AIWB: How comfortable it is. How it doesn't limit the way they move and the ways they can move, like "traditional" behind the hip carry.

The most recent time I tried it, I was wearing Carhartt's, the 5.11 rigger belt, and a Keepers Keeper... and I guess I didn't have it adjusted properly, cuz I got a hot spot from the holster on my thigh.

omegajb
06-11-19, 04:32
I wear mine at 12 o'clock so it's not riding into the thigh. It does pose some logistics issues if you need to use a public bathroom as you need to use a stall to remove the holster to do your business.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MegademiC
06-11-19, 06:26
The raven vanguard 2 has been the best as it adds no width and you can trim the tab up front if needed for comfort.
I just slide it to the 2oclock for urinal use.

I use either a wilderness competition 1.5” belt or nexbelt gun belt depending on dress. For tight shirts, i cant the gun more to help conceal it.

P2Vaircrewman
06-11-19, 09:41
G 19 in Blade Tech Klipit ambi. I am 5' 10", 170. I have driven 10 hour days with it in comfort. Conceals well in just a tee shirt.

HMM
06-11-19, 20:50
It took me a while but the Eidolon conceals better than anything else I've tried. Some days it isn't as comfortable as others but overall its a trade off worth making for me. The other days I have no discomfort so I can't pinpoint the difference yet...

But I have a bin full of holsters so I'd say keep plugging away and you'll get there. Or try parts of two, I did the Incog clips on the Eidolon for a while too.

tacticaldesire
06-12-19, 07:19
I'm 6' 2" 220lbs and appendix a G45 w/X300u in a HOLSTERCO Stealth LB with relative comfort and little to no printing. I'm either running a Mean Gene Aegis belt or an old SOE EDC belt I have. I find a stiffer belt worn a little looser is better than a
"floppier" belt cinched down too tight. I'm not going to say I haven't been stabbed in the genitals with the X300U or that it's comfortable all the time but it's been much better than it used to be now that I have a system down. You have to change the way you bend over and pick things up and sitting down might take a slight adjustment.

If you have't down so, position your buckle at 10 or 11 o' clock. Also, printing should be pretty minimal with appendix anyway but if you're worrying about printing, don't. I line up the barrel between the thigh and the junk at around 1230-1245ish. I think belt and holster combination have the biggest influence on comfort. The stiffer SOE belt has been more comfortable than the slightly less stiff Mean Gene for example. At least in my experience.

jmoore
06-12-19, 09:06
6’5” and 255. Tried several holsters and just gave up. Anything close to comfort and AIWB do not exist in my universe - not when sitting or bending are involved. Luckily I wear shirts out 99% of the time so OWB is my default.

geezer john

hburn
07-03-19, 12:51
Have you tried a foam wedge on your holster?

HCrum87hc
07-03-19, 13:51
Like the OP, I was very frustrated with AIWB at first. It was not comfortable when sitting at all. The secret for me was replacing the belt clip on my T Rex Arms Raptor with an Ulti-Clip. I then clip the holster to my pants waistband instead of a belt.

Since the Ulti-Clip is attached to my pants, it affords me a little bit of up and down movement. When I'm sitting, I can pull the clip and holster up to keep the barrel end from digging into my hip/groin. When I'm standing, I can push down on the clip to let it sit lower and conceal well. I still wear a sturdy belt, which keeps my pants from sagging. I carry a PPS, so there's not much weight there to begin with.

Another perk of this set up is that the Ulti Clip is attached to my pants, so it's behind my belt with no visible clips, which is nice when wearing a tucked shirt

MountainRaven
07-03-19, 20:31
Have you tried a foam wedge on your holster?

Yes.

Both on my Eidolon and my Keeper (and I've tried a few different positions on the Keeper).

MountainRaven
12-16-19, 21:01
In case anyone is wondering, it seems the secret (for me) is wearing a big, baggy hoodie.

Bought a one-size-larger-than-normal Carhartt hoodie (in a Tall size - which is normal for me, anyway) - and I've finally gotten a gun to conceal in a satisfactory (to me) level while carried AIWB.

Other ingredients:
-Milt Sparks belt
-PHLster Floodlight for X300U (with the wider Modwing)
-STI Staccato P DUO w/ X300U-B (magwell still attached)

Next I'll have to figure out how to make it work without looking like a bum!

titsonritz
12-17-19, 00:01
Have you tried his belt?

MEGINGJÖRÐ - AIWB SPECIFIC - CONCEAL CARRY BELT (https://vdevgru.com/collections/v-development-group/products/megingjord-aiwb-specific-conceal-carry-belt-ver-3-0)

I've found I do not cinch my belt as tight while carrying AIWB as I do strong side and carry slightly lower at the same time a major factor is to keep the holster out of your pelvic crease.

MountainRaven
12-17-19, 14:47
My Milt Sparks is definitely a noch or two further out than when I carry behind the hip.

P2Vaircrewman
12-17-19, 19:21
I find most leather holsters add too much bulk. I prefer thinner kydex for holsters with the belt clip offset over the trigger guard rather than on the slide.

Ron3
12-19-19, 08:04
Sounds like it's not for you.

I started out AIWB over 20 years ago but later went IWB behind the hip. Walking and bending over became much more comfortable. Concealment is better, too.

I could also carry a bigger gun if I wanted.

For AIWB you need something with a short barrel for increased mobility. A snub revolver or pistol with a well-under 4 inch barrel.

I only appendix carry when driving more than usual. Very comfortable, quick draw.

Also, I only recommend guns with heavier, longer trigger pulls (at least for the first shot) for appendix carry. But that's another discussion.

Good luck, but consider behind the hip carry.

MountainRaven
12-20-19, 20:56
I've been carrying behind the hip for over a decade, now.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of holsters that I can buy now and carry my STI now that would allow me to carry there with at least an RMR on it, if not also the X300U.

MountainRaven
01-01-20, 21:01
Added a foam wedge to my PHLster Floodlight and it's now more comfortable. Probably conceals better, too, but we'll see.

ebone
01-01-20, 21:28
I have an Eidolon (one of the January 2015 pre-release holsters).

I had a CNC Keroman.

I have a Dale Fricke.

I have an Incog.

I have a Keeper.

I have a ripoff of a Wilderness Instructor belt (I had an actual Wilderness, I don't know where it went, but I have a 5.11 clone).

I have an Ares Aegis.

I have a Mean Gene Aegis.

I have a Magpul Tejas el Original.

I have a Milt Sparks leather belt.

I have tried a Glock 43, a Glock 19, an Agency Roland Special (Agency tricked out G19 with comp, X300, RMR), an Agency Fauxland Special (Agency tricked out G17 with short comp, RMR, with and without X300), and most recently a Beretta 92G Elite LTT.

I have read almost everything I can on the subject. I've watched videos of skinny dudes and fat dudes explaining how they make AIWB work for them.

So far, I've been able to get it comfortable. Or concealed. Or neither. But not both. It's frustrating.

Any advice? Or should I just accept that AIWB won't work for me and truck on with my behind the hip OWB/IWB ways?

Love this... I feel same, just can't be happy with it

sjoliat
02-03-20, 19:36
I've been carrying behind the hip for over a decade, now.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of holsters that I can buy now and carry my STI now that would allow me to carry there with at least an RMR on it, if not also the X300U.

Like several others here, I've been AIWB for several years and have it to where it is tolerable, but far from comfortable. Have been considering IWB behind the hip. How far back do you carry it? Just behind the hip or more like over the pocket? Tried a Galco King Tuck at 3:00 position before AIWB and didn't like it at all, but think over the pocket riding higher might be ok? I'd appreciate your thoughts..

MountainRaven
02-03-20, 20:34
Like several others here, I've been AIWB for several years and have it to where it is tolerable, but far from comfortable. Have been considering IWB behind the hip. How far back do you carry it? Just behind the hip or more like over the pocket? Tried a Galco King Tuck at 3:00 position before AIWB and didn't like it at all, but think over the pocket riding higher might be ok? I'd appreciate your thoughts..

Just behind the hip. About 3:30-ish.

D_M
02-05-20, 12:35
AIWB carry isn't for everyone. It's comfortable for me, even with a G34 and X300U, but I don't expect everyone to do it.

I've carried everything from a J-Frame to a Glock 17L. Holster design is important. Ride height is important. Positioning is important.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48317119596_76ae1a0c26_c.jpg

MSteele
02-11-20, 17:29
For concealment you need better pelvic contact. I wear my Tenicor gen4 Velo around the 1 o'clock position with my G19 and it allows all range of movement. My holster sits right on my pelvis near my hip crease basically to the right of my junk. I conceal my G19 better than my G43 for the reason the G19 has a longer holster and has better pelvic contact to keep the gun straight and then the camming bar pushes the grip in. The Tenicor holster also has the body contour in the back which aids in keeping the holster against your pelvis. It's taken me years to find a configuration that works and at 1 o'clock with the velo holster it's about as perfect as I can get it. The holster clips go on either side of the first belt loop to give you an idea, on most pants.

MountainRaven
05-06-20, 22:44
Tried a light bearing Blackpoint Dual Point. Didn't work: The metal clip it came with constantly slipped off my belt, regardless of which belt I used. And the little screws intended to mount the side-saddle magazine pouch thing means that the not-a-WingMod doesn't do a very good job of tucking the butt of the pistol into my gut.

Most recently I got a JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 - and it's actually comfortable and concealable. At the cost of not allowing me to have an X300U on my gun.

I have an LAS Saya 2.0 coming for pistol with WML, so we'll see how that goes whenever it shows up.

TexasAggie2005
05-07-20, 08:26
I am really, really liking the Tenicor Malus Sol. Completely hides my RMR'ed G19 w/X300U. The DCC clips over my Mean Gene belt is a rock solid setup. Complete PITA to don/doff though compared to my older JM Wing Claw 2.5 w/ PTD loops.

MountainRaven
05-07-20, 11:43
Sadly, Tenicor does not make any holsters for Staccatos.

Skyviking
05-11-20, 23:32
I fail to understand why anyone trying to carry a handgun concealed would tack more junk onto it to make it twice as bulky - and then complain how uncomfortable or inconvenient it is. I have to question why anyone who is carrying a concealed handgun for self-defense "needs" a light mounted on it. What's it for? If you have enough ambient light to identify a threat, you do not need a light mounted on your handgun to engage it. If you need light to navigate your way, a small EDC flashlight is the ticket and indeed, that flashlight will scatter most cockroaches. You are not going to navigate your way through a dark alley, parking lot, or garage with your weapon-mounted light unless you are a moron looking for your jail cell. Weapon-mounted lights have their niche: On carbines and shotguns (one only has so many hands) and, while they should be mounted on pistols worn by uniformed duty personnel, they are just auxiliary lights and everyone should be carrying a hand-held light (w/a backup light) for general use. YMMV, but it seems a whole lot of people actually believe the latest marketing hype. Mae West said it best to Cary Grant in the movie, "She Done Him Wrong": "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

tacticaldesire
05-12-20, 07:32
I fail to understand why anyone trying to carry a handgun concealed would tack more junk onto it to make it twice as bulky - and then complain how uncomfortable or inconvenient it is. I have to question why anyone who is carrying a concealed handgun for self-defense "needs" a light mounted on it. What's it for? If you have enough ambient light to identify a threat, you do not need a light mounted on your handgun to engage it. If you need light to navigate your way, a small EDC flashlight is the ticket and indeed, that flashlight will scatter most cockroaches. You are not going to navigate your way through a dark alley, parking lot, or garage with your weapon-mounted light unless you are a moron looking for your jail cell. Weapon-mounted lights have their niche: On carbines and shotguns (one only has so many hands) and, while they should be mounted on pistols worn by uniformed duty personnel, they are just auxiliary lights and everyone should be carrying a hand-held light (w/a backup light) for general use. YMMV, but it seems a whole lot of people actually believe the latest marketing hype. Mae West said it best to Cary Grant in the movie, "She Done Him Wrong": "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

That's a very dated and out of touch position to have. Take some force on force.

MountainRaven
05-12-20, 21:35

Congratulations, you have figured out what a WML is not used for.

I hope, by reason of deduction, you're smart enough to figure out what it is used for. I suspect you posted first and thought second (if at all).

Also: I can comfortably conceal a pistol with a WML at 3-4 o'clock either IWB or OWB - and I can do so without the WML, too. Hence the thread being about AIWB.

MountainRaven
09-28-20, 16:07
I have to add the Tenicor Velo 4 (with Glock 17) to the list of holster/gun combinations I have attempted to carry AIWB without success.

(The Staccato and JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 is still the best combination I've found for me. However, the mid-cut sweat guard and thumb safety on the Staccato aren't always super comfortable on the gut, and an LGS had a Gen5 G17 with forward cocking serrations, so I figured I'd give it a try. Guess I'll have to get another JMCK.)