PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Berettas for Iraq

Slater
11-11-08, 10:06
https://aais.ria.army.mil/aais/award_web_09/W52H0909D00370001/000000.pdf

Not being familiar, I thought the cops over there used Glocks.

Iraqgunz
11-11-08, 10:41
They may well be for the military. The fact that they are being shipped to the MOI means nothing. All weapons shipments are supposed to go there when they come into country so they can record the serial numbers and other info.

A few years ago they were issuing Glocks. Quite a few ended up in the wrong hands because they were being sold on the streets.

ToddG
11-11-08, 13:45
My understanding is that Austria has forbade Glock (or other manufacturers) from shipping its guns into Iraq or allowing any subsidiaries and distributors in other countries from doing the same. This is part of their government's protest against the war.

It's amusing to me that they haven't also outlawed sale of guns to the U.S., since we're obviously the main fighting force over there. Of course, doing that would bankrupt Glock almost instantaneously.

skyugo
11-11-08, 17:40
ah yes... i wonder how long it'll be til they pawn those ones off too... :o

HK45
11-11-08, 21:12
Thats $407.74 per 92FS. Didn't they just sell Iraq a whole lot of M&P's? Hope they keep better control of them this time but since the Iraqi military and police are essentially militia/death squads run by various factions it's doubtful. The U.S. Army bought these Beretta's btw.

ARMY

Beretta U.S.A. Corp., Accokeek, Md., was awarded on Nov. 7, 2008, a $8,154,800 three year firm fixed price contract for 20,000 Beretta 92FS 9mm pistols. Work will be performed in Accokeek, Md., with an estimated completion date of Oct. 20, 2009. One bid was solicited and one bid was received. TACOM Contracting Center, Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (W52H09-09-D-0037).

Beretta is lucky there are several wars on or the military would have likely moved to something else by now.

GlockWRX
11-11-08, 22:50
My understanding is that Austria has forbade Glock (or other manufacturers) from shipping its guns into Iraq or allowing any subsidiaries and distributors in other countries from doing the same. This is part of their government's protest against the war.

Those turds certainly don't seem to mind shipping stuff to Iran. As much as I like my Glocks, I may have bought my last one.

dewatters
11-12-08, 14:57
Thats $407.74 per 92FS. Didn't they just sell Iraq a whole lot of M&P's? Hope they keep better control of them this time but since the Iraqi military and police are essentially militia/death squads run by various factions it's doubtful. The U.S. Army bought these Beretta's btw.

ARMY

Beretta U.S.A. Corp., Accokeek, Md., was awarded on Nov. 7, 2008, a $8,154,800 three year firm fixed price contract for 20,000 Beretta 92FS 9mm pistols. Work will be performed in Accokeek, Md., with an estimated completion date of Oct. 20, 2009. One bid was solicited and one bid was received. TACOM Contracting Center, Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (W52H09-09-D-0037).

Yes, the US Army bought them. But they bought them on behalf of the Iraqi government. The contract document clearly indicates that it is a Foreign Military Sale (FMS). A few years ago, TACOM also bought 5,000 Ruger P95 and 5,000 SIG SP2022 for the Iraqis.

HK45
11-12-08, 16:09
Guess I missed that on the Doc. So we have shipped the Iraqi's four different pistols?

HK45
11-12-08, 16:22
Yeah well we didn't mind shipping arms to Iran either when we thought it was to our benefit. Even though we still called them terrorists at the time and knew of their activities against Americans. It was called Iran-Contra remember? Or to Iraq under Saddam Hussein for that matter. Or any of a whole lot of other scumbags that we vilified while selling them arms for profit. As the worlds largest arms seller we are the last ones who should be pointing fingers.

Those turds certainly don't seem to mind shipping stuff to Iran. As much as I like my Glocks, I may have bought my last one.

GlockWRX
11-12-08, 17:01
Yeah well we didn't mind shipping arms to Iran either when we thought it was to our benefit. Even though we still called them terrorists at the time and knew of their activities against Americans. It was called Iran-Contra remember? Or to Iraq under Saddam Hussein for that matter. Or any of a whole lot of other scumbags that we vilified while selling them arms for profit. As the worlds largest arms seller we are the last ones who should be pointing fingers.

Cool. So since Americans owned slaves in the past, I shouldn't get all wound up about slavery today? Yeah, we've screwed up before, even criminally so. But next to countries like France and Austria, we look like saints. And just because the US Govt does something stupid, does not mean it's suddenly cool to do it. I'd love to boycott my own government for some past shenanigans, but the IRS has some say in that.

ToddG
11-12-08, 21:16
Discussion of handguns: here in the Handguns section.

Discussion of politics: General Discussion.

Thank you.

HK45
11-14-08, 18:36
Anyway...I'm not seeing how it is a good idea to provide Iraqi with four different pistols and expect them to be able to provide support for them.