PDA

View Full Version : Steyr/Wilcox upgraded G36 for Spain

Slater
06-12-19, 06:01
I believe that Wilcox also makes the Caracal line of firearms here in the US?

"Features and benefits of the upgrade include a cold hammer forged steel barrel, 100% compatible to the original barrel, increased thermal stability and a new lightweight alloy receiver to replace the old polymer receiver, thereby increasing strength and stiffness. The new STANAG magazine well will offer greater compatibility between magazine types, allowing more flexibility for procurement as well as for sourcing spares in-theatre from NATO allies on multinational ops. All upgrades are intended to maintain the same form and function as the original design and do not impede the operation of the weapon."

https://www.joint-forces.com/defence-equipment-news/24028-firearms-steyr-mod-g36-upgrade

Kisara
06-18-19, 11:25
Wow, that sure would be interesting to see the new receiver and barrel combo offered in a semi/civilian configuration in the US.

RAM Engineer
06-18-19, 13:18
new barrel, new receiver, new mag well...So just the bolt and FCG parts remaining? :eek:

Slater
06-18-19, 13:48
Kind of like H&K rebuilding England's L85's from the ground up. Not many original parts remaining.

MountainRaven
06-18-19, 15:14
At a net weight increase of merely 20-25%, I’m sure.

HardToHandle
06-18-19, 18:11
I speak and write in general BS as part of my job, but I read this pap and wonder if anyone believes any of it?

“This package is intended to reduce the overall life-cycle cost of buying a completely new weapon platform. The new rifle and electro-optics technology combination is intended to bring the customer MoD (not just the Spanish MoD, as other nations are looking to upgrade their G36 arsenals) further into the 21st Century by increasing force lethality and giving the soldier the ability to more speedily engage targets.”

Translation - COL Juan Carlos bought a nice place in the Canaries with a bunch of Deutschmarks and we are stuck with a case of erectile disfunction after two magazines. If you pay us 95% of the original procurement cost (inflation adjusted), you don’t have to change your web gear.

eodinert
06-22-19, 15:02
I recently read that part of the German army's upgrade program (sometime called the IdZ program) was metal 'carry handles' to replace the original plastic ones due to an issue with receivers twisting.

If G36s have wandering zeros and twisty receivers, it doesn't sound like a bad upgrade... if they're not overpaying, anyway.

hburn
07-06-19, 12:11
I wonder at what point it’ll be cheaper to just go to a different weapon than the g36

Slater
07-06-19, 12:18
Germany is in the process of selecting an entirely new rifle.

hburn
07-06-19, 12:20
Germany is in the process of selecting an entirely new rifle.
Lol hk better do everything to get that contract to save themselves

eodinert
07-06-19, 13:40
HK acknowledged indirectly that the G36 was dead when they started building another rifle to compete with it directly.

MountainRaven
07-06-19, 20:57
I recently read that part of the German army's upgrade program (sometime called the IdZ program) was metal 'carry handles' to replace the original plastic ones due to an issue with receivers twisting.

If G36s have wandering zeros and twisty receivers, it doesn't sound like a bad upgrade... if they're not overpaying, anyway.

The wandering zero, IIRC, was due to the barrel heating up during magazine dumps, and overblown by certain politicians in Germany who have been gunning for H&K for decades.

Which, coincidentally, can induce a wandering zero in almost any firearm.

patriot_man
07-09-19, 01:24
The wandering zero, IIRC, was due to the barrel heating up during magazine dumps, and overblown by certain politicians in Germany who have been gunning for H&K for decades.

Which, coincidentally, can induce a wandering zero in almost any firearm.

I believe I read on a blog somewhere that the Spanish tested their rifles as well and found that the receivers were fine and did not experience wandering zero. Makes me wonder why the aluminum receivers are being implemented.

call_me_ski
07-17-19, 00:20
I believe I read on a blog somewhere that the Spanish tested their rifles as well and found that the receivers were fine and did not experience wandering zero. Makes me wonder why the aluminum receivers are being implemented.

Lithuania similarly suspended all of their G36 orders and later resumed deliveries and placed more orders after they conducted their own tests.