PDA

View Full Version : TRIGGER ENHANCEMENT PAD (T.E.P.) pros/cons

essray
06-12-19, 20:42
Thoughts on the TEP. Pros and cons.

My take would improve finger contact
While widening it risking accidental foreign body contact.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190613/2043de95e709df7e17854ba68e188785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoug
06-12-19, 20:43
Just another thing to come loose and fall off. Maybe on a precision range toy, but not on a carbine you depend on for personal defense.

DFSgunner
06-12-19, 21:08
Seems like another unneccesary marketing ploy to me.

Sent from my Alcatel_5059R using Tapatalk

26 Inf
06-12-19, 22:12
Trigger shoes were popular with some revolver shooters back in the day. They approximated the wide target triggers that were available from S&W in some of their models (unsure of others such as Colt and Ruger).

The problem in use is that they would sometimes loosen and slide down, rendering the trigger inoperable. Bad juju on a police duty revolver and most agencies didn't allow them.

I wouldn't have one on my rifle.

NYH1
06-12-19, 22:21
My buddy had one on a heavy barreled Win. M70. I always thought it was kind of weird. To each their own I guess.

NYH1.

alx01
06-13-19, 00:38
I would avoid things like that like a plague. IMHO, this is pure marketing and nothing else.

I posted this before, and I'm going to post it again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXOj9Uc5pg

There is a myriad of various good triggers on the market right now with different profiles. If you want something wider than a regular trigger I heard that LaRue MBT (at $80) has a slightly wider profile than Mil-Spec. LaRue, Geissele and other brands offer flat, slightly curved (Geissele Super TRICON), and classic curved triggers. I'm 100% positive that anyone can find something they like.

Besides, AR is although fully capable, but not a super precision platform nonetheless. Leave adjustable triggers and fancy trigger mods for the competition bolt guns and professionals who know what they are doing.

mark5pt56
06-13-19, 05:42
Well, there you go! Whizbang

gaijin
06-13-19, 06:20
A dated, but accurate discussion of trigger shoes on revolvers; https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/53973-tyler-trigger-shoe-bad.html

A fairly hot topic decades ago.

tehpwnag3
06-13-19, 08:14
Looks like unnecessary bling for an AR. With good triggers being like 5# pull weight, how much finger contact do you need?

ViniVidivici
06-13-19, 08:42
Just another thing to come loose and fall off. Maybe on a precision range toy, but not on a carbine you depend on for personal defense.

I second this motion.

essray
06-13-19, 08:52
That makes sense. All points are valid.

I tried a flat face at Rainer arms and wasn’t sold. But the MilSpec curve isn’t fantastic either. Looking for a just right. I put some granulated grip tape and it improved the pad placement and grip leverage. IMO.

06-13-19, 09:21
That makes sense. All points are valid.

I tried a flat face at Rainer arms and wasn’t sold. But the MilSpec curve isn’t fantastic either. Looking for a just right. I put some granulated grip tape and it improved the pad placement and grip leverage. IMO.

Geissele makes a hybrid flat/curved trigger bow. Super Tricon. Might be worth taking a look.

Sry0fcr
06-20-19, 09:22
I don't understand the "problem" you're trying to solve here but this thing looks like some silly BS to me. Any pro does not outweigh the con.

essray
06-20-19, 18:32
The feedback was heeded. I’m just the type that looks for design improvements. That’s how I see the world. Good or bad.

I am going the grip route first. I saw a good deal on a cmc flat 2 stage. I may buy out But hold off on installation for now. I’m going to put some rounds down range this weekend with the new grip

MegademiC
06-20-19, 20:44
I look at mods and ask 3 questions:
1: how does it improve my shooting
2: do I like it? (Waste of $ practically, but I like it so its worth it)
3: what are the drawbacks? ( compromised reliability is a no-go).