PDA

View Full Version : Remington: partial summer shutdown at their plants

Slater
06-18-19, 05:41
Wasn't aware that this was a thing at Remington:

"Nearly 700 workers at two Remington Arms factories will be on a forced vacation this summer, mostly without pay, as the company shuts down several manufacturing lines for two months. The summer shutdown is occurring at the Ilion and Huntsville plants, leaving many employees out of work until early August. Remington has been struggling in recent years after emerging from bankruptcy and operating in a soft firearms manufacturing market."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/06/17/remington-summer-shutdown/

jsbhike
06-18-19, 07:30
They need lean ownership & management.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-18-19, 07:42
A two month shut down is interesting, and a very long time.

I work for a large company that manufactures and we have a yearly shutdown but it is for 2 weeks.

26 Inf
06-18-19, 11:52
I wonder how many employees had prepared for a possible shutdown?

Straight Shooter
06-18-19, 17:03
I wonder how many employees had prepared for a possible shutdown?

They knew it was coming- I work with several. Also- theyve had to repay back some tax incentives they were given because they never met the hiring/pay quotas they promised. SHYSTERS. I live about 3 miles from the plant, and the stories Im told from ex employees are chilling. I personally dont look for them to re-open. They need to liquidate and go away. OR- get bought by someone who has the capital & know-how to return them to the days of yore..you know..pre-2007.
Also-here in Madison County we have 3% un-employment. JOBS EVERYWHERE- ALL OVER. Those that wanted to keep working are.

Firefly
06-18-19, 17:14
I went to a doctor and he said “hey I got good news and bad news. You have hardcore 1980s level San Francisco bath house grade AIDS but you also got a free Remington 700 ADL”

Well I jumped off that table and said “I’LL BE DAMNED IF I’M GOING TO LET THIS RUIN MY QUALITY OF LIFE!”

So I tossed the Remington into a river

NYH1
06-18-19, 20:20
Wasn't aware that this was a thing at Remington:

"Nearly 700 workers at two Remington Arms factories will be on a forced vacation this summer, mostly without pay, as the company shuts down several manufacturing lines for two months. The summer shutdown is occurring at the Ilion and Huntsville plants, leaving many employees out of work until early August. Remington has been struggling in recent years after emerging from bankruptcy and operating in a soft firearms manufacturing market."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/06/17/remington-summer-shutdown/
I have no idea what the labor laws are in Alabama. However, in New Yorkistan if you get laid off, you don't get paid for the first week, after that you get unemployment. The Ilion workers are union so they most likely have language in their contract for situations like this.

I'd like to see Remington get bought by someone that's serious about running a firearms manufacture. As much as I'd hate to see it, I don't think the Ilion plant is going to be around much longer. The plant (the building itself) is ancient and they built or bought that plant in Alabama which is supposed to have double the manufacturing capacity....and they don't have cuomo and friends in Bama.

NYH1.

AndyLate
06-18-19, 21:19
My office is very close to Remington in Alabama and it is a very large plant. I want to say Chrysler owned the building up to the 2008 crash and Obama mandated reorgs. I hope they pull out of this slump, we need all the manufacturing we can get here.

06-18-19, 21:21
I went to a doctor and he said “hey I got good news and bad news. You have hardcore 1980s level San Francisco bath house grade AIDS but you also got a free Remington 700 ADL”

Well I jumped off that table and said “I’LL BE DAMNED IF I’M GOING TO LET THIS RUIN MY QUALITY OF LIFE!”

So I tossed the Remington into a river

This is funny stuff.

In the TFB comments, there was a claim that the facilities shutdown are the ones that produce the Bushmasters and the 1911 clones. I’m curious to hear more detail on that. I thought that both of those were among the few models/brands that have still been selling well. I base this idea on no evidence whatsoever, just a few random anecdotes.

NYH1
06-18-19, 23:24
My office is very close to Remington in Alabama and it is a very large plant. I want to say Chrysler owned the building up to the 2008 crash and Obama mandated reorgs. I hope they pull out of this slump, we need all the manufacturing we can get here.
Yes, it was the old Chrysler plant. They made electrical components there. Somewhere in 2002 to 2004 time frame Chrysler sold the plant to Siemens. They ran it for a while and ended up closing it and moving production to Mexico. During that same time Chrysler sold and/or closed a bunch of parts component plants.

NYH1.

chadbag
06-19-19, 00:01
Yes, it was the old Chrysler plant. They made electrical components there. Somewhere in 2002 to 2004 time frame Chrysler sold the plant to Siemens. They ran it for a while and ended up closing it and moving production to Mexico. During that same time Chrysler sold and/or closed a bunch of parts component plants.

NYH1.

Which makes sense, since Cerebus was involved with both Chrysler and Remington, so sale or transfer of facilities would be easily facilitated.

Coal Dragger
06-19-19, 01:41
They need lean ownership & management.

More cutting their way to profits? Yeah that’s a great business model, worked so well up to this point.

Alternatively they could make quality products that don’t suck a bag of dicks. I realize that’s crazy talk though.

titsonritz
06-19-19, 01:49
Well the good news is they won't be ****ing up any rifles for a little while.

jsbhike
06-19-19, 05:09
More cutting their way to profits? Yeah that’s a great business model, worked so well up to this point.

Alternatively they could make quality products that don’t suck a bag of dicks. I realize that’s crazy talk though.

Lean ownership/management could be cutting their way to a better product versus how it is normally done in cutting quality so the top tier gets immediate rewards.

In the years preceding the 2008 bailouts, the top 8 US auto execs (vehicles not selling well, poor customer satisfaction) combined salaries were the equivalent of the top 27 or 28 Japanese auto executives which were selling autos well with good ratings.

NYH1
06-19-19, 12:53
Which makes sense, since Cerebus was involved with both Chrysler and Remington, so sale or transfer of facilities would be easily facilitated.
Chrysler sold the Alabama plant to Siemens 3 or 4 years before Cerberus took over Chrysler. Cerberus was never involved with the Huntsville plant.

NYH1.

NYH1
06-19-19, 13:03
Lean ownership/management could be cutting their way to a better product versus how it is normally done in cutting quality so the top tier gets immediate rewards.

In the years preceding the 2008 bailouts, the top 8 US auto execs (vehicles not selling well, poor customer satisfaction) combined salaries were the equivalent of the top 27 or 28 Japanese auto executives which were selling autos well with good ratings.
When Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler in 1998, the Chrysler CEO Robert Eaton was making about $11 million a year in base salary. The Daimler CEO Jurgen Schrempp was making about $1.5 million a year. Must of been pretty awkward in meetings seeing that Daimler owned 56% of the company.

NYH1.

26 Inf
06-19-19, 17:30
When Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler in 1998, the Chrysler CEO Robert Eaton was making about $11 million a year in base salary. The Daimler CEO Jurgen Schrempp was making about $1.5 million a year. Must of been pretty awkward in meetings seeing that Daimler owned 56% of the company.

NYH1.

Maybe that level of compenation had something to do with Chrysler being on the market?

NYH1
06-19-19, 20:39
Maybe that level of compenation had something to do with Chrysler being on the market?
In that time frame Chrysler, like the rest of the auto industry was doing great financially. The Daimler-Benz Chrysler deal was supposed to help both companies. They said, they were going to share platforms and drivetrains to streamline production making both companies more efficient. It never happened.

The amount CEO's are paid isn't an auto industry issue, it's a US issue. CEO's and upper management in the US are paid astronomically higher then most CEO's and upper management around the world in similar industries.

NYH1.

Jsp10477
06-19-19, 21:33
Quit making s****y firearms they’d be fine. Old school 700’s and 870’s would keep them in business.

26 Inf
06-19-19, 23:33
In that time frame Chrysler, like the rest of the auto industry was doing great financially. The Daimler-Benz Chrysler deal was supposed to help both companies. They said, they were going to share platforms and drivetrains to streamline production making both companies more efficient. It never happened.

The amount CEO's are paid isn't an auto industry issue, it's a US issue. CEO's and upper management in the US are paid astronomically higher then most CEO's and upper management around the world in similar industries.

NYH1.

Why? What are some differences?

I've always felt that the boards of most companies give out the salaries they do to CEO's because 1) it isn't their money and 2) dividends baby, dividends. Pretty simplistic. But, that is what I think. Long term health of the company or the work force are of little concern to these folks.

As I asked, different in Europe?

jpmuscle
06-19-19, 23:43
Quit making s****y firearms they’d be fine. Old school 700’s and 870’s would keep them in business.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190620/4b7bff8e5ccdc043e5470c1c136b2bef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYH1
06-20-19, 12:40
Why? What are some differences?
Why, I don't know why.

I've always felt that the boards of most companies give out the salaries they do to CEO's because 1) it isn't their money and 2) dividends baby, dividends. Pretty simplistic. But, that is what I think. Long term health of the company or the work force are of little concern to these folks.
Agreed.

As I asked, different in Europe?
Yes, American CEO's usually make substantially more then their European counterparts.

NYH1.