PDA

View Full Version : NRA membership Risky...

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 16:31
I don't know how many of you have heard about it but a town on Oregon recently sued and won asking that all concealed carry license holders names be exposed in the local paper.

I have held off from an NRA membership for just this reason. Could someone sue in Federal court to have NRA members names disclosed to some agency just so they could find out probable gun owners private information?

I would love to join and give my support. Especially because they are the biggest private entity that can fight for our rights.

Is there any real risk of this happening? :confused:

JHC
11-11-08, 16:41
With all due respect, I'd join regardless. Being a Life Member already, it's a moot point for me. I reckon there would be many ways to ID the gun owners besides NRA membership anyway. It's too early to withdraw from the fight. Join up! :D

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 16:42
I'm leaning that way...;)

txbonds
11-11-08, 16:43
I'm sure if someone wanted to target you and track you down, there are smart enough people out there to figure out where your making posts from and it would be reasonable to assume if you are here you might own a gun.

Hard to be under the radar in today's society when it comes to anything.

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 16:48
I agree...but who wants to be pestered or put on a watch list. I guess one thing I'm really worried about is credit card tracking. I know that they could get the info in a dishonest manner if they wanted. I don't want to be part of some major anti-gun push in the Supreme Court.

Do you thing that there are a few non gun owners that belong to the NRA...maybe a few extreme left wing ding dongs too?

txbonds
11-11-08, 16:54
I agree...but who wants to be pestered or put on a watch list. I guess one thing I'm really worried about is credit card tracking. I know that they could get the info in a dishonest manner if they wanted. I don't want to be part of some major anti-gun push in the Supreme Court.

Do you thing that there are a few non gun owners that belong to the NRA...maybe a few extreme left wing ding dongs too?

Unless you've lived in a bubble the last 30 years, it will be hard to be "off the radar" or "off the list". I mean, unless you have not owed anyone, paid cash for everything, and not had a mailing address, it's hard to not be on someone's list somewhere.

No.6
11-11-08, 16:55

I have held off from an NRA membership for just this reason. Could someone sue in Federal court to have NRA members names disclosed to some agency just so they could find out probable gun owners private information?

I would love to join and give my support. Especially because they are the biggest private entity that can fight for our rights.

Yes, there is of course a risk.
My advice to you would be to make a conscious decision whether to stand up and be counted as a defender of the Constitution, or seek a quiet, more comfortable life under the reign of the messiah and his ilk.
If you research the history of the men who signed the Constitution, you will find that a great many, if not most of them, lost everything. Their fortunes, their families and quite often their lives were spent in the pursuit of the creation of that document and the guarantees that it promised to us, the future generations of Americans.

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 16:57
Guess what? That's all it took! Damn it all and throw caution to the wind-I'll not go down with out a fight! APP IN HAND CHECK BOOK OUT...LICKING STAMP!:D

Bimmer
11-11-08, 16:57
No, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last month a local weekly paper published the names of every CCW-holder in the county. They got the information from the Sheriff's Dept. using a "Freedom of Information" inquiry.

There's no FoI act that applies to the NRA. The NRA is private association, not a gov't agency.

On the other hand, there's a lot of talk about whether the Bureau of All Things F@(&ed up is really deleting the names and information of anybody who goes through a background check in order to buy a gun (as they're supposed to do). If you've bought a gun in the last 10-12 years (or even initiated the process), then there's probably already a gov't record of it.

Privacy is an illusion. Get over it.

Bimmer
11-11-08, 16:59

It doesn't matter, NRA members don't have access to the membership rolls.

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 17:01
Too bad UBL isn't a member...speaking of that, what right would they have to come after us especially when they can't find him?:D ...are we that easy???

Iraqgunz
11-11-08, 17:02
my65swede,

You are worrying over nothing. As has been stated unless you have been living in a cave there is plenty of info out there. Instead of being concerned about that you should be concerned about your right to keep and bear arms. If you don't belong to at least one pro gun group then you are not doing your part to protect your rights.

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 17:03
I do agree...I really do, I am joining today...really.

RSS1911
11-11-08, 17:05
Could someone sue in Federal court to have NRA members names disclosed to some agency just so they could find out probable gun owners private information?

No.

The NRA is a private entity. The Oregon case to which you referred centers on records held by a governmental agency that issues concealed pistol licenses. But for privacy/security reasons, public records are generally (but not always) subject to disclosure.

RogerinTPA
11-11-08, 17:07
Your logic for not joining the NRA for the reason you mentioned escapes me. Every time you Legally buy a weapon and fill out that form, you are no longer "under the radar" via a state background check. The way I see it, join the NRA now to support the upcoming battles over gun control.

JBnTX
11-11-08, 17:08
What's wrong with being identified as a CCW holder in the newspaper?

It's not like it's something to be ashamed of?

99% of the people seeing your name have no idea who you are.

chp5
11-11-08, 17:10
YEvery time you Legally buy a weapon and fill out that form, you are no longer "under the radar" via a state background check. The way I see it, join the NRA now to support the upcoming battles over gun control.

+1

If you're worried about being on the "list" - don't worry, you're already on it

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 17:15

What was their point...to warn innocent citizens that they may get capped by one of their irresponsible neighbors? Especially the ones with the McCain Pailin stickers on the back of their POV's?

I think you guys all answered my question pretty well...thank you!

...is it finally hip for gun owners to come out?LOL

Iraqgunz
11-11-08, 17:21
Because if I read correctly the media would also have your home address and other info which they could also make public. I believe that someone mentioned it happened in VA until there was a lawsuit there and apparent retaliation to publish the names and addresses of the reporters.

This could potential set you up to be a victim of a burglary or worse. Not to mention the privacy issues that are involved. There is no public interest being served here so let's hope that smarter heads prevail.

RogerinTPA
11-11-08, 17:22
I get the feeling some people would look at a posted list of gun owners in a newspaper, equivalent to being listed as "Johns'" caught up in a prostitution crack down, with shame. I'd look at it as a badge of honor.;)

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 17:25
...good point! I'd like to know what they really hoped to accomplish by doing this. My feeling is though that it would be a violation of a person's privacy reguardless. People get pissed and sue for a lot less in this Country. If I am proud of it so be it, but let me take out my own damn newspaper article!

...I'm not trying to fly under the radar, but I never appreciate uninvited guests.

skippy78
11-11-08, 17:29
Yes it did happen here in VA the newspaper published it on there website and got so much grief from it that they took it down.

RogerinTPA
11-11-08, 17:34
Besides, it will give your neighbors something to talk about. My nosy neighbors always see me carrying a gun case and shooting bag to and from my car every Sunday anyway. It will confirm what they already suspect!:p

...good point! I'd like to know what they really hoped to accomplish by doing this. My feeling is though that it would be a violation of a person's privacy reguardless. People get pissed and sue for a lot less in this Country. If I am proud of it so be it, but let me take out my own damn newspaper article!

jaydoc1
11-11-08, 18:11
If I became the victim of a burglary after my name and address was published then the paper would face a lawsuit. If someone in my family was injured because of that information being published then I'd make the newspaper's editors pain and suffering my personal mission in life.

CobraBG
11-11-08, 18:19
I have been a NRA member for many years and the thought of the membership list being used by someone else to ID gun owners has never occured to me. I think that NRA membership should be thought of as essential for any law abiding gun owner... especially with Obama. :eek:

CarlosDJackal
11-11-08, 20:14
NRA Membership information is not public information and can only be legally released by the members. The NRA itself could not legally release this information even if they wanted to (of course, it would be hard to stop them). On the other hand, CCW information is a matter of public record and can only be protected from such a release if the State were to pass a law preventing it.

Last year, a left-wing nutcase and so-called "reporter" in the Roanoke area decided to publish the names of people who had a carry permit. The resulting backlash was pretty huge - someone found out where he lived and published this information on the Internet. People started picketing his home.

As it turns out, this idiot did not just release the names but also the addresses of these law-abiding citizens which included quite a few women who were (legally) hiding from their ex-husbands or boyfriends (had restraining orders). This wasn't the only instance of some so-called reporter publiching this type of information. The other case I heard, the dufus who did this ended up exposing a few Undercover Officers in the process. JM2CW.

LOKNLOD
11-11-08, 20:43
I can't be the only one who finds it uniquely ironic that the poster worried about an NRA membership compromising his identity as a gun owner, is posting on a public firearms forum using an email address (which references a specific firearm, I think?) as a username?

That's kind of like lighting yourself on fire and then expressing a concern about nuclear proliferation.

Not to pick on you, 65swede, just saying NRA mailing lists are probably not your greatest security risk...

FrankRochester
11-11-08, 21:31
Sometimes you just have to stand together..

Murexway
11-11-08, 21:38
The State of Florida has passed legislation making personal information of CCW licensees (mostly) exempt from public disclosure:

[I]On July 1, 2006, a new law went into effect that makes personal identifying information pertaining to a Concealed Weapon or Firearm license confidential and exempt from Section 119.07(1), Florida Statutes and Section 24(a), Article 1 of the State Constitution.

Exceptions to this exemption are:

With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his/her legally authorized representative.

By court order upon a showing of good cause.

Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/cwrecords.html

beckman
11-11-08, 21:51
As others have stated, NRA membership is probably not your greatest risk of a security breach.

For those who don't know, Obama's website claims that one of his goals in order to "Address Gun Violence in Cities" is to "repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information."

Obama's stated motivation is questionable because the Tiahrt Ammendment already permits law enforcement to conduct a trace for purposes of a criminal investigation. Clearly, gun-control activists want to compile lists of gunowners. Given that the repeal has not yet been enacted, it isn't clear whether such a repeal would mean that purchase information is available via FOIA request, as with the CCW holders mentioned by others in previous posts.

This repeal is one goal of NYC's billionaire anti-gun mayor, Michael Bloomberg and his anti-gun organization, Mayors Against Illegal Guns. I'm sure that if they get their way, virtually ALL privately owned guns will be illegal, much as it is in NYC.

my65swede@yahoo.com
11-11-08, 21:58
I can't be the only one who finds it uniquely ironic that the poster worried about an NRA membership compromising his identity as a gun owner, is posting on a public firearms forum using an email address (which references a specific firearm, I think?) as a username?

That's kind of like lighting yourself on fire and then expressing a concern about nuclear proliferation.

Not to pick on you, 65swede, just saying NRA mailing lists are probably not your greatest security risk...

Oh yes what an ignorant idiot I am. Maybe I did not convey my message properly. It would be far less likely that someone could use a forum to grab a group of Americans and use it to go after us like sex predators that prowl the internet.
Not likely...possible but not likely. And again as I said before, I'm not trying to fly under the wire! Yes I do know that many things we do mark us as gun owners. I just didn't want to be part of a written record used in a Federal case against gun owners. I did not mean to imply if I join the NRA they'll find me:eek:. I am not in hiding and FYI, I joined the NRA today! All points taken and I for one am done commenting on this thread!

RogerinTPA
11-11-08, 22:25
That is great info to know. I love living in the free state of Florida!:D I love the progressive gun laws here!:cool:

The State of Florida has passed legislation making personal information of CCW licensees (mostly) exempt from public disclosure:

On July 1, 2006, a new law went into effect that makes personal identifying information pertaining to a Concealed Weapon or Firearm license confidential and exempt from Section 119.07(1), Florida Statutes and Section 24(a), Article 1 of the State Constitution.

Exceptions to this exemption are:

With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his/her legally authorized representative.

By court order upon a showing of good cause.

Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties.

No.6
11-11-08, 22:26

I joined the NRA today! ....

Welcome aboard.

POF.Ops
11-11-08, 22:46
Check my sig. Am I worried? Hell ****ing no!

SwatDawg15
11-12-08, 00:21
Heh... Being a LEO and member of several task forces, I have access to several databases, ect. There are good.... BUT an average citizen can spend under $100 and access twice the information about someone using the net.... There are times we have even used a civilian website to access information, like bank records, finaces, ect.... Why? Well for one it we dont need a warrant doing it that way. :D

chadbag
11-12-08, 01:18
I don't know how many of you have heard about it but a town on Oregon recently sued and won asking that all concealed carry license holders names be exposed in the local paper.

Posting here is probably riskier in terms of being "on the list".

heijutsu
11-12-08, 05:59
Well they say you want to have a dog in the fight and the NRA is the biggest dog we have in this fight. Also might want to lend your support to the GOA. While no group is ever going to be perfect the NRA I believe does its duty in keeping its members informed about coming issues.

No.6
11-12-08, 06:46
Also might want to lend your support to the GOA.

And the Second Amendment Foundation. Life membership is only $150.

royta
11-12-08, 06:54
It personally wouldn't bother me to have my name listed in the paper as a CCW holder. That would get the message out that I'm not one to be trifled with.

AllAmerican
11-12-08, 08:09
It personally wouldn't bother me to have my name listed in the paper as a CCW holder. That would get the message out that I'm not one to be trifled with.

+1 I encourage home invasions at my place........

10MMGary
11-12-08, 08:57
I just want to add that if there are others that want to help but are worried about being on a list, just buy a postal money order and send it to the NRA ILA under the name of, oh I don't know Bill Johnson Bob Smith Barry Obama:D. You don't have to be a member to donate money. BTW I am a life member and proud to be on that list.

mmike87
11-12-08, 09:52
NRA Membership information is not public information and can only be legally released by the members. The NRA itself could not legally release this information even if they wanted to (of course, it would be hard to stop them). On the other hand, CCW information is a matter of public record and can only be protected from such a release if the State were to pass a law preventing it.

Last year, a left-wing nutcase and so-called "reporter" in the Roanoke area decided to publish the names of people who had a carry permit. The resulting backlash was pretty huge - someone found out where he lived and published this information on the Internet. People started picketing his home.

As it turns out, this idiot did not just release the names but also the addresses of these law-abiding citizens which included quite a few women who were (legally) hiding from their ex-husbands or boyfriends (had restraining orders). This wasn't the only instance of some so-called reporter publiching this type of information. The other case I heard, the dufus who did this ended up exposing a few Undercover Officers in the process. JM2CW.

My wife called that bonehead up at the Roanoke Times and spoke to him personally to tell him what a POS he was. He was totally unapologetic, didn't care, and seemed to think that he did nothing wrong.

sholling
11-12-08, 12:04
Join and get in on their life membership easy pay plan.

No.6
11-12-08, 12:15
My wife called that bonehead up at the Roanoke Times and spoke to him personally to tell him what a POS he was. He was totally unapologetic, didn't care, and seemed to think that he did nothing wrong.

And they wonder why their readership has been declining....

sholling
11-12-08, 12:22
And they wonder why their readership has been declining....
That happened in a community near here. What one CCW holder did was run an Internet search on the reporters name and gathered all the information that he could. He then called the editor and politely explained what risks that the paper had put people at, that some on the list were armed and hiding because of threats of violence etc. He got the same reaction that you did. He then in a non-threatening way rattled off the reporter's name, address, car and tag number, home phone, etc and inquired if it was equally ok to publish that publicly available private information. Again he went out of his way to be non-threatening.

Savior 6
11-12-08, 12:53
I am willing to join the fight to protect Second Ammendment Rights, but I believe the NRA should join the fight as well. I believe their stance in appeasing to anti-gun lobbyist use of "sporting" arms has weakened the overall Right To Bear Arms. I appreciate Dr. Ignatius Piazza's stance that American citizens should be allowed to legally own firearms. He does not weaken his arguement by appeasing to the term "sporting arms".

FrankRochester
11-13-08, 21:56
A comrade on me left and another on me right... and a clip of ammunition for me little armalite..

adh
11-14-08, 09:29
A while back this year I made a comment to some friends in front of my father-in-law regarding being hesitant to go NFA with an SBR because I didn't want to be on ATFs list.....my father in law made the comment..."...if there's a list YOU'RE already on it, trust me." Subsequently I've filed paper work for my first NFA item.

I have my CHL and am also an NRA lifer so I'm already on some list.

Paul45
11-14-08, 09:42
I wear my NRA hat, I display my NRA sticker and if anyone asks, I tell them I SUPPORT THE NRA both personally and with my $$$$.

If we do not start getting more active in our rights, we will loose all of them. GET INVOLVED!

Bachelorjack
11-15-08, 00:16
I'm on the big list because of security clearance stuff from my active duty days. DNA, SSN, ..... My goal now is to get on as many lists as possible. I would rather have them stand back at the sheer mention of coming after me, when seeing how much my name comes up. Like coming after Atilla the Hun.

I only wish some reporter decided to publish my personal information. He would serve as an "example"......

rubberneck
11-15-08, 12:17

No. They can print the names of CCW permit holders because it is a governmentally issued ID and subject to the FOIA. Membership in a private group is covered under the 1st Amendment and not subject to the FOIA.

No.6
11-15-08, 12:25
I'm on the big list because of security clearance stuff from my active duty days. DNA, SSN, ..... My goal now is to get on as many lists as possible. I would rather have them stand back at the sheer mention of coming after me, when seeing how much my name comes up. Like coming after Atilla the Hun.

I only wish some reporter decided to publish my personal information. He would serve as an "example"......

I like the way you think. Time to stop living in fear of "them".

Littlelebowski
11-15-08, 14:01
The Roanoke Times.... I'd forgotten about that son of a bitch Trejbal. Here (http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/183570) he is opining that a vote for McCain is a vote for greed, fear, and bigotry.

ZDL
11-15-08, 15:49
Piazza.. How is he a Dr.? Also, isn't he a xenu lover? just curious.

User Name
11-15-08, 16:30
Case and point example of how the mass panic really is getting bad. I imagine the anti gun forces are getting a kick out of all of this. Not keeping an NRA membership because of your proposed issue is uh... don't know what to say. If big brother wants to track you down as a "gun owner" it will and can. Do I believe that there is justification to the major panic we are now witnessing? No. Does the incoming administration concern me? Hell yes! But there needs to be a collective deep breath. Obama in his first term (figuring he wins his second) has got allot of crap on his plate. A gun ban is I imagine low on the priority list. Given the economy and two wars. Also I do believe that the democrats representing some western and southern states know their career would be cut short if they supported anti gun measures.

Iraqgunz
11-15-08, 16:37
I believe that he is a Chiropractor or something.

Piazza.. How is he a Dr.? Also, isn't he a xenu lover? just curious.

ZDL
11-15-08, 16:41
I believe that he is a Chiropractor or something.

Not sure that makes him a Dr. for just that reason... Unless he has some further training and/or education. No biggie. Just curious.

And the xenu love?

Robb Jensen
11-15-08, 18:59
FWIW I know 2 people who are life members but don't own any guns.........

Paul45
11-15-08, 19:33
I can not rationalize why a gun owner would not support an organization that is focused on his rights. Everyday we are lossing more and more personal freedoms and we let our fear of lists ( and liberals) stop us from defending our rights! The left has won if we are afraid to support our rights because someone may put us on a list. Just because they yell and threaten does not made me fear them. If they want you - they will find you. Defend your rights or go down hiding in a corner - it's your choice. I made mine - I send money to support my gun rights. I am proud to be a gun owner and a NRA member. It's time to stand up for your rights and not let somebody else do it for you!!!!! I'm done with this topic.

Robb Jensen
11-15-08, 19:36
I can not rationalize why a gun owner would not support an organization that is focused on his rights. Everyday we are lossing more and more personal freedoms and we let our feel of lists stop us from defending our rights! The left has won is we are afraid to support our rights because someone may put us on a list. If they want you - they will find you. Defend your rights or go down hiding in a corner - it's your choice. I made mine - I send money to support my gun rights. I am proud to be a gun owner and a NRA member. It's time to stand up for your rights and not let somebody else do it for you!!!!! I'm done with this topic.

Me too....proud member of the NRA, GOA, JPFO, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA and GSSF.

JSantoro
11-15-08, 22:00
And the xenu love?

Xenu is the name of the super-awesome alien overlord deity that Scientologists worship, so IG is saying that this dude is cukoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Savior 6
11-16-08, 20:08
ZDL, not sure on the xenu love thing. I just like his stance on our Second Amendment of firearms ownership.

Paul45, my only concern with the NRA is the sporting arms aspect. Holding that type of stance is what gets us into the arguement that assault rifles are not sporting arms. We should be allowed to own weapons/firearms for self defense, sport shooting, hunting, collecting, etc. I just belive that the NRA's stance has allowed us to come under more fire by giving anti-gun people room to win their arguements.

Paul45
11-16-08, 21:04
United we stand - devided we fall - If not the NRA - WHO?
We need a united voice - if we want them to protect the guns we want, then speak with $$$. Money talks, loud voices help. Take a look at the gay marrage rights people - They are a minority, they stick together regardless of the type of gay, they are loud and they spend their money to get their point accross. We have the 2nd amendment - they don't, we argue over who speaks for us - they don't, we are lossing rights - they are gaining them. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING - don't let anything stop you from protecting ANY gun rights.
EVERYONE NEEDS TO WAKE UP BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE - I am now hoping that we can keep any guns at all. We need to protect what is remaining. A gun is a gun forget what it looks like. Support your rights or give up. There is no middle ground. We are the only country left that has this freedom - STAND TOGETHER!!!!!

ToddG
11-16-08, 21:05
Xenu is the name of the super-awesome alien overlord deity that Scientologists worship,

Uh-oh, someone is doomed to die of pneumonia now!

photosniper
11-16-08, 21:11
Hell, I'm a member of the (cough) media and everyone at the newspaper knows I not only have my license to carry firearms and carry daily while not working, but also that I have an EBR in my gun safe. I've invited the entire newsroom to try out my toys at the range, even said I'd throw in for a "company picnic" at the shooting range.
Nobody took me up, but it's given me the opportunity to educate them a little on so called assault weapons and such.
I don't care if I'm on a list, hell I'm sure I've been on the LIST since I was 12 and subscribed to Soldier of Fortune magazine.

JSantoro
11-16-08, 21:44
Uh-oh, someone is doomed to die of pneumonia now!

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8950/iconohnozx7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

dtibbals
11-16-08, 21:53
I am an NRA member and proud of it. In fact the shooting clubs I belong to require you to be an NRA member. People need to stop being ashamed of being a gun owner. They should also not be ashamed of supporting groups like the NRA who support and fight for gun owners rights. Being a member of the NRA just like here in IL we have to have FOID cards does not prove you own guns just gun friendly. I don't believe they are going to come knocking on our doors to take our weapons. I would suspect we would see some pretty heavy protesting and failure to follow the law if that where to happen. Hard to say where that would go over but I doubt very well here in the USA. Bottom line is stop bowing down to the anti gunners, be proud to be a gun owner and able and willing to protect yourself, others and your country.

Dave

Mjolnir
11-16-08, 22:44
On THR, maybe 2 yrs ago, it was announced that CANON wished for employees to disclose whether or not they had CPLs and/or if they applied for CPLs under penalty of dismissal. How would they determine if an employee had a CPL or had applied for one?...

So it's more than a "zero risk" to have names published in a public forum for those who have CPLs.

Iraqgunz
11-17-08, 01:23
The problem that people have with supporting the NRA has little do with the being ashamed. It has to do with the fact that they have been very weak at defending owners of military styled weapons while holding duck gun owners on the "golden pedestal". I support them because they have the name and clout. But, my support isn't exclusive. What they need to do is come out and say that they recognize that the 2ndA isn't just about hunting and plinking. It's about self-defense and they need to support all gun owners.

I am an NRA member and proud of it. In fact the shooting clubs I belong to require you to be an NRA member. People need to stop being ashamed of being a gun owner. They should also not be ashamed of supporting groups like the NRA who support and fight for gun owners rights. Being a member of the NRA just like here in IL we have to have FOID cards does not prove you own guns just gun friendly. I don't believe they are going to come knocking on our doors to take our weapons. I would suspect we would see some pretty heavy protesting and failure to follow the law if that where to happen. Hard to say where that would go over but I doubt very well here in the USA. Bottom line is stop bowing down to the anti gunners, be proud to be a gun owner and able and willing to protect yourself, others and your country.

Dave

sholling
11-17-08, 02:04
I'm new here and I don't want to offend a fine bunch of shooters but I've been shooting a lot of years and I've heard all of the excuses over and over. With no disrespect to anyone here I'll share what I've learned in my half century...

Excuses:

I don't want my name listed where the "commies" can find me.
I'll get too much junk mail.
The NRA didn't do this or that....

Well with all respect to everyone here I have answers.

You're already in databases from all the online deals and all the posts you've made to forums. Ever hear of Google? I belong to at least two dozen forums and I'm active on at least a dozen and have run into something I've posted several times while Googling. Then there are the gun rag subscription lists. Ever scan your supermarket rewards card when buying a copy of Black Rifle? That transaction linking your name to Black Rifle is now in a database. Oh and all those 4473s are out there for the "commies" to collect. It's too late so you may as well sign up with the NRA because you're already on a bazillion lists. :p
All it takes is a request and the NRA will remove you from the fund raiser lists.
The NRA made mistakes trying to play nice under pressure from the media - they've learned. They learned from the overwhelming reaction to the Clinton AWB and they won't repeat that mistake. Don't you think the NRA has noted how many people are buying up ARs? We're no longer a niche group. Thanks to the BO Panic of 2008 the dang things are now about as common as house cats. :D

In my 52 years I've learned the real truth of why gun owners don't join the NRA. All of the above are excuses plain and simple. Gun owners tend to be a cussedly self centered, ruggedly independent and cheap bunch. Oh we're all hail and good cheer when we're together but I've been told too many times on boards "I don't give a @#$% if they take your guns, I don't live there and mine are safe." Or the famous "they can have the black rifles cuz I just hunt with a shotgun". And yes we'll sell a kidney to drop $2000 into a new toy but it hurts worse than a tooth pulling minus pain killer to write out a $50 check to the NRA. We start having visions of the extra ammo or the new sling we could buy with that money and come up with an excuse. ;)

ZDL
11-17-08, 02:11
I'm new here and I don't want to offend a fine bunch of shooters but I've been shooting a lot of years and I've heard all of the excuses over and over. With no disrespect to anyone here I'll share what I've learned in my half century...

Excuses:

I don't want my name listed where the "commies" can find me.
I'll get too much junk mail.
The NRA didn't do this or that....

Well with all respect to everyone here I have answers.

You're already in databases from all the online deals and all the posts you've made to forums. Ever hear of Google? I belong to at least two dozen and I'm active on at least a dozen and run into something I've posted several times while Googling. Then there are the gun rag subscription lists. Ever scan your supermarket rewards card when buying a copy of Black Rifle? That transaction linking your name to Black Rifle is now in a database. Oh and all those 4473s are out there for the "commies" to collect. It's too late so you may as well sign up with the NRA. :p
All it takes is request and the NRA will remove you from the fund raiser lists.
The NRA made mistakes trying to play nice under pressure from the media - they've learned. They learned from the overwhelming reaction to the Clinton AWB and they won't repeat that mistake. Don't you think the NRA has noted how many people are buying up ARs?

In my 52 years I've learned the real truth of why gun owners don't join the NRA. All of the above are excuses plain and simple. Gun owners tend to be a cussedly self centered, ruggedly independent and cheap bunch. Oh we're all hail and good cheer when we're together but I've been told too many times on boards "I don't give a @#$% if they take your guns, I don't live there and mine are safe." Or the famous "they can have the black rifles cuz I just hunt with a shotgun". And yes we'll sell a kidney to drop $2000 into a new toy but it hurts worse than a tooth pulling minus pain killer to write out a $50 check to the NRA. We start having visions of the extra ammo or the new sling we could buy with that money and come up with an excuse. ;)

Post of the year.

5POINT56
11-17-08, 05:52
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Excuses are for losers. Join and be part of a solution.

If a person can't somehow justify the basic cost of a membership at the onset of the most anti-gun President in the history of this country, then the RKBA just isn't an important issue with you. Period.

The NRA isn't perfection...but it is, by far, the best chance we have to protect our rights.

Dave L.
11-17-08, 06:45
Too bad the NRA couldn't "Join Forces" with the web boards and offer deals on memberships or at the very least promote the web boards (some of them).
The NRA needs to actively seek people out a little harder IMHO.

Savior 6
11-19-08, 17:57
Not against the NRA, they just need to update their tactics.

Paul45
11-19-08, 18:51
Not against the NRA, they just need to update their tactics.

Send them your ideas for new tactics! They are always open to suggestions and inputs from members. They want feedback.

CobraBG
11-19-08, 19:35
The NRA isn't perfection...but it is, by far, the best chance we have to protect our rights.

That is very true. If you are on this forum why wouldn't you be a NRA member? This attitude about a "list" is BS.

BlueForce
11-19-08, 22:34
We can't win by hiding or retreating at this point. We have to think in terms of seizing the initiative. Otherwise there won't be anything worth hiding for.

John Hancock signed his name big and bold in the middle of the page. He took a big risk. What would have happened if those gentlemen had decided that it would be better if the British didn't know who they were?

hatt
11-19-08, 22:41
I think posting on these "radical, gun nut" forums would be more risky than a NRA membership if .gov wants to find out who you are so they can do something to you.

BlueForce
11-19-08, 22:51
We do have IP addresses, right?

And who are you calling a radical gun nut, anyway? :)

dtibbals
11-19-08, 22:55
Like I said we need to stand up and fight! Hiding and not being heard only leaves the voice of those who want to take your rights away. They did it before because they do NOT quit! Gun owners need to grow some balls and do something for their rights and the rights of generations to come. So many talk about it but figure someone else will do it for them. The time has come that it is up to YOU and only you! With out your efforts we will not win this battle let alone the war.

I do not want any discounts or deals from the NRA, I want them to spend my money fighting not giving me crap to fight for me. Is the NRA perfect? Hell no they aren't but they are one of the only voices we have in DC and we need all the help we can get. Maybe just maybe if gun owners would not wait until the last minute we would not be facing the times ahead of us today. We need to remember all of the success the NRA has had in local and state races as well as Federal positions.

To many gun owners are ashamed of being gun owners and hunters. It is a fact that to many do not think it will happen to them or to this country but they are living with their heads in the sand. It is happening and it is happening now. I do not know if it is to late or not but lets not find out.

As John McCain said "FIGHT WITH ME, WE CAN DO IT, FIGHT WITH ME!" The NRA needs to be pulling out all the stops to FIGHT for our RIGHTS!

Gun owners need to stand up and be pissed and not afraid of to show it! We will be happy to point the fingers at Obama and his clan if they take our rights from us but we have no one to blame but ourselves! We have to do something now before we sit and talk about the days we had freedoms.

hatt
11-19-08, 23:10
We do have IP addresses, right?

And who are you calling a radical gun nut, anyway? :)
All they have to do, in the name of national security, is hack into this forum and collect all the logged IPs. Something like that anyway. I'm sure there are already a couple .feds on the board shooting the shit with everyone. Good thing is we will know about when it is coming, if it was to ever happen, bad thing is we will have all our stuff neatly packed up to make it easier on the man when he comes to get it.