PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic recoil buffers

Slater
06-20-19, 16:32
These never seem to have caught on in any significant way, although someone must be buying them as some companies are making them:

https://www.kyntec.com/shop/

So, what are the pros and cons of such a device? Any chance of a fluid leak?

markm
06-20-19, 17:53
I remember them being one of the many gimmicks offered to correct what we now know to be massive over-gassing buy idiots who spec out barrels.

I can't think of a legit reason to introduce such an item to a system that doesn't need it when gassed correctly.

Stukas87
06-23-19, 21:24
Internet not friendly to them... do they work? Very much so
http://www.defensereview.com/hydraulic-recoil-buffers-for-the-tactical-ar-15m4m4a1-carbinesbr-friend-of-foe-from-the-enidine-recoil-buffer-to-the-kynshot-recoil-damper-and-crosshair-buffers

militarymoron
06-23-19, 22:18
I've only used the enidine (first one broke). It works to soften the recoil impulse a bit, but also requires a very definite tug to lock the bolt back manually. Based on my sample size of one breaking (it was replaced); I've just shied away from them. The replacement has not broken but then I have not used it much as most of my rifles have the A5 system, which works well for me.

ViniVidivici
06-24-19, 07:30
Always seemed like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

06-24-19, 07:35
When they fail, does it cause stoppages, or does it act like a regular H1 or whatever buffer?

Edit: I mean in a semi only gun.

Stukas87
06-24-19, 08:29
When mine went from the article, it was while shooting a stage at a 3gun match. It still worked, I just noticed rifle recoil felt weird. Swapped it out for H2 to finish the match. Replaced it with Crosshair hydrualic buffer still going strong.

tehpwnag3
06-24-19, 08:35
For less money, you can get a complete A5 setup.

06-24-19, 09:11
Why I’m interested in this thread: I’m “building” a game gun. Previously, I’ve competed with rifles that are suitable for putting in work. Usually whatever is found at my bedside. Setting up a proper game gun has created an interest in such things as muzzle brakes and lightweight carriers. I have a colleague that swears by hydraulic buffers, including in a duty weapon (not my style). So I might put one in this game gun, along with the first non-mount brake I’ve had on a AR since 05. I’ll take a regular carrier to a machine shop to take some grams off the tail, because I’m not ready to make a leap to exotic materials.

Jeff, what brand buffer do you recommend (ITAR does not affect me)? Do you use a regular Colt spring? Are these doodads compatible with a non-full mass carrier? Is a hydraulic buffer useful if I already have an adjustable gas block, or is it a waste at that point?

Stukas87
06-24-19, 09:19
I have both kynshot and crosshair buffers in rifles, I prefer crosshair now. I use stock spring. I don't know about low mass carrier. But for me to get lightest recoil, hydrualic buffer with comp muzzle brake and adjustable gas system. Piston or DI, I have hydrualic buffers in most my guns. Both adjustable gas and standard gas, adjustable gas way to go to.

06-24-19, 09:23
So its well worth it over just emptying the weights out of a carbine buffer with adjustable gas? You prefer Crosshair over Enidine?

tehpwnag3
06-24-19, 09:26
Not for me it isn't. I've been building and shooting space guns for over 20 years and it's always been about reducing mass and gas.

So its well worth it over just emptying the weights out of a carbine buffer with adjustable gas? You prefer Crosshair over Enidine?

ViniVidivici
06-24-19, 10:32
It'd be interesting to shoot two rifles side by side, identical except one is A5 equipped and one with hydraulic buffer, see which one runs smoothest.

militarymoron
06-24-19, 10:43
When they fail, does it cause stoppages, or does it act like a regular H1 or whatever buffer?

Edit: I mean in a semi only gun.

On mine, it was 'catastrophic failure' - the shaft broke and the 'head' came off, jamming inside the receiver extension, and stopping the gun. I had to separate the upper and lower to get it out and replace it with a regular buffer. If you use a hydraulic buffer, I'd recommend carrying a spare standard one.
https://i.imgur.com/EfOYDWs.jpg

Tokarev
06-24-19, 14:38
Does Kyle Lamb still endorse the Kynshot buffer?

08-08-19, 11:01
For those that are curious about low mass buffers for gamer guns:

I ordered 3 aluminum buffer weights from KAK to put in an A5 buffer. They were 1.3mm short in a stack compared to the ones in the A5H2 that I was modifying. Also, one had a nub, so I drilled through that particular weight with a drill press using a 1/4 inch bit, chamfered and deburred it. I made up the 1.3mm using some tediously trimmed plastic from a 500ct QTip box, so that the spring preload would not change.

Assembled weight with one A5 steel weight (the one that has the spring recessed in it) one hollow aluminum weight, and two other aluminum weights plus the plastic shim is 2.4 oz.

I have not yet finished assembling a rifle with said hood-rat gamer buffer, so there is more work before I can give any sort of impression.

It will eventually be used with a 18” rifle length gas Faxon Gunner barrel that another member graciously donated, a low mass bolt carrier, Sprinco Green, VG6 Gamma I bought on a flash sale, and whatever gas port Clint figures out after I contact him about this project.

saywhen11
08-13-19, 10:46
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist

M Sadler
08-16-19, 11:51
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist

Not if you're educated as to what their value and limits are on the platform.