PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else bothered by std Glock trigger safety while shooting?

26 Inf
06-22-19, 13:17
I'm a longtime Glock shooter from the LE training arena, so I have pretty much always shot with generally stock firearms. So, the slight ridge of the thin trigger safety on stock Glock trigger bars is something I've always dealt with.

Today, while dry firing in the garage, I finally decided to take care of the issue. IDK if the process I used is common, I've never seen it explained/illustrated.

On the first two I did I wedged the trigger safety forward with a small screwdriver (black arrow) and inserted a piece of safety wire in the triangular notch to hold it forward (red arrow) I then used my dremel to shape the trigger safety bar to the trigger. I took a little off, removed the safety wire and checked fit, repeated as necessary until level.

After two Glocks, I decided to take a short cut. I preesed the tab on the safety bar up to it's disengaged position (punch in picture). This left the 'excess' trigger safety bar above the trigger. Carefully used dremel to get it level with the face of the trigger. I didn't want to hit the trigger, so I couldn't get it perfectly flst, so I then finished to my satisfaction using the first method.

I know, simply, everyone but me has probably done it, but if you haven't, there you go.

26 Inf
06-22-19, 13:36
HEY MODS, YO, THE DUMBASS WHO WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT NON APPROPRIATE MATERIAL IN AR GENERAL POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM.

COULD YOU MOVE TO HANDGUNS-SEMIAUTO.

I AM CHAGRINED.

RHINOWSO
06-22-19, 14:39
Not when shooting AR15s, no... ;)

OT, no I have never been bothered by the Glock Trigger safety - although I prefer the smooth G17 trigger shoe to the G19 'target' ridged shoe, and usually swap them out for OEM G17 smooth ones.

ggammell
06-22-19, 15:05
HEY MODS, YO, THE DUMBASS WHO WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT NON APPROPRIATE MATERIAL IN AR GENERAL POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM.

COULD YOU MOVE TO HANDGUNS-SEMIAUTO.

I AM CHAGRINED.

EPIC.

eodinert
06-22-19, 15:34
I've radiused a few Glock trigger safeties to match the triggers.

P2000
06-22-19, 16:09
I've done this too, but Dremel is way overkill. Just use a fingernail file.

Striker6
06-22-19, 16:23
I too file it down by hand.

Arik
06-22-19, 17:29
I've not only not been bothered by it, I've never noticed it. Or any of the other Glock like dingus safeties on other handguns

556BlackRifle
06-22-19, 17:33
I do basically the same thing with the blade of my pocket knife.

gaijin
06-22-19, 17:55
The stock, dingus on trigger safety guns in general, raises a hot spot on my finger due to safety lever/dingus sticking out, past the trigger proper when gun is fired.
And yes, sanding/stoning the dingus to flush, or just past flush is something I do.

Except on my ARs. ( :

26 Inf
06-22-19, 19:17

What is that old saying 'if you have a dremel tool, everything looks like a.....'

26 Inf
06-22-19, 19:18
I do basically the same thing with the blade of my pocket knife.

Okay, that I will accept as I need a new pocket knife.

jackblack73
06-22-19, 22:30
I always file it down. Not quite flat, but just short to ensure it gets fully engaged.

one
06-23-19, 15:50
I’ve filed them down flush (when depressed not deactivating anything) on every Glock I own. If I don’t it wears a straight like blister down the pad of my finger.

I consider it as mandatory as undercutting the trigger guard.

556BlackRifle
06-23-19, 15:53
Okay, that I will accept as I need a new pocket knife.

I use mine multiple times every day. I should probably carry two. :laugh:

dwhitehorne
06-23-19, 16:10
I've radiused a few Glock trigger safeties to match the triggers.

Been doing this for years. I use a round chainsaw sharpening though. Did the same thing to my P10C. David

Renegade
06-23-19, 17:34
I've not only not been bothered by it, I've never noticed it. Or any of the other Glock like dingus safeties on other handguns

same here

06-23-19, 19:46
I don’t really notice it, really. I’m sure your mod is beneficial to those that do.

AKDoug
06-23-19, 21:58
I've never noticed it and I've also never felt the difference between the G17 and G19 smooth vs. grooved trigger.... but you guys rock on with your bad selves.

26 Inf
06-23-19, 23:27
I've never noticed it and I've also never felt the difference between the G17 and G19 smooth vs. grooved trigger.... but you guys rock on with your bad selves.

You are in Alaska, aren't your fingers numb? So, how could you feel it? :jester:

I've shot Glocks since they first came into use by LE and to be honest I never was much bothered by the trigger safety bar until my fingers started getting beat up by other stuff. Before that I noticed it, but, meh.

I don't know what is going on, last night after 300 rounds, my thumb was indented and sore enough from indexing the loader that I stopped loading. That has never happened before.

OttoLoader
06-27-19, 12:00
No, never been a problem for me.
I never heard of this as being a problem.
Also Glock knuckle until I read about that on the gun forums.

one
06-27-19, 13:58

My right hand the middle finger has a lump of built up calloused flesh that I expect is never going away. Also in the winter that joint experiences pain when it bends. I can best describe it as probably an arthritic pain.

It’s a real thing.

Pilgrim
06-28-19, 06:18
I do notice some trigger discomfort with Glocks, but I really notice it on the CZ P-10c...

RWH24
06-28-19, 14:15
I do notice some trigger discomfort with Glocks, but I really notice it on the CZ P-10c...

Being new to Glocks with the Gen 5, the trigger safety hurts. I have swapped to the APEX trigger with much more comfort.

I recently used the Overwatch POLY DAT in my 48 and 21. Love it in the 48, not so much in the 21. About HALF the price of an APEX.
Complete Poly DAT shoe and trigger bar are less than the APEX shoe.

AKDoug
06-28-19, 17:44
You are in Alaska, aren't your fingers numb? So, how could you feel it? :jester:

I've shot Glocks since they first came into use by LE and to be honest I never was much bothered by the trigger safety bar until my fingers started getting beat up by other stuff. Before that I noticed it, but, meh.

I don't know what is going on, last night after 300 rounds, my thumb was indented and sore enough from indexing the loader that I stopped loading. That has never happened before. Yer' gettin' soft old man..LOL.. I have pretty tough finger tips from a variety of things. Maybe when I quit trying to pick up hot things without my welding gloves maybe my finger tips will soften up.

My right hand the middle finger has a lump of built up calloused flesh that I expect is never going away. Also in the winter that joint experiences pain when it bends. I can best describe it as probably an arthritic pain.

It’s a real thing. I have the callous, I don't have the joint pain (yet). I also have a callous on the top of my trigger finger where it rubs on the frame.

one
06-28-19, 18:20
Yer' gettin' soft old man..LOL.. I have pretty tough finger tips from a variety of things. Maybe when I quit trying to pick up hot things without my welding gloves maybe my finger tips will soften up.

I have the callous, I don't have the joint pain (yet). I also have a callous on the top of my trigger finger where it rubs on the frame.

Well. I’ve given you something to look forward to. Seriously the undercut works wonders for me. I wish I’d known it 25 years ago.

Ron3
06-29-19, 06:19
I dealt with Glock knuckle and finger tip rub for years until I learned it was Glock-specific and had a name.

Never liked the hump or square grip or grip angle either. Tried other guns and realized I didnt have to put up with any of it to have a reliable pistol.

I did undercut it and put Talon rubberized grips on it. The undercut made my fingers fit better in the grooves, the grip added gripiness.

I have one Glock left and don't fire it much. (G19 gen 3 I've had about 15 yrs)

ramairthree
06-29-19, 13:42
Out of a handful of gen 2, the first 2.5 wave 26, and a couple of gen 5 the Glock trigger safety have never been noticeable to me.

Not most others I have tried.

I have not tried a 2.0 M&P, but I hated the articulation of some I tried when they were new.

On the other hand, I got an APX the day they came out, and it stuck so firm and far out on full squeeze I did hone it down.

OttoLoader
06-29-19, 17:32
I know the Glock knuckle is real thing for alot of people.
I never had the problem so was surprised that so many have .
The way I hold the grip is barrel inline with wrist and elbow. The trigger guard finger on the bottom of trigger guard even and parallel so no trigger guard "corner" dig into finger. Knuckle is clear of the guard. My knuckle is not very wide relative to the finger.
I notice the Glock trigger guard is very wide and thick so this could be a problem for many.

The safety blade did not bother me.
I use alot of trigger finger so the pad and tip is not in contact. Maybe that is the reason.

Firefly
06-30-19, 05:55
Every body looks for these reasons to gig Glocks yet it all boils down to petty little crap.

Like.....do you actually shoot your guns?

flenna
06-30-19, 07:32
I remember the first Glock I was issued, a generation 2 G21. It felt like a brick in my hand and the trigger was funny. Then I shot it and I shot better with it than any other handgun previously. Ever since then all my self defense semi autos are Glocks which are bone stock except for good sights.

AndyLate
06-30-19, 08:17

With my G23 and G19, no issues with the serrated trigger until I bought a G17 and grew to hate the grooved trigger enough to replace it on my G19. G23 moved on down the road.

Andy

SFree
06-30-19, 09:11

Never had much of a problem with stock Glock, then doin my own texture and undercuts, but after
Transitioning to Polymer 80 frames I’ll probably never go back to a stock frame. Poly 80 solves every issue for me at a fraction of the cost for third party customizing.

SteveL
06-30-19, 13:41
I don't think I've ever noticed it.

26 Inf
06-30-19, 14:39
Every body looks for these reasons to gig Glocks yet it all boils down to petty little crap.

Like.....do you actually shoot your guns?

Yep, generally around a thousand rounds a week, although I'm going to start shooting a lot more .22 out of my M&P and 1911 22's as well as my Glock conversion.

I'll add a caveat, when it is 88 degrees at 7:30, I don't go to the range - don't have to anymore.

26 Inf
06-30-19, 14:40
Never had much of a problem with stock Glock, then doin my own texture and undercuts, but after
Transitioning to Polymer 80 frames I’ll probably never go back to a stock frame. Poly 80 solves every issue for me at a fraction of the cost for third party customizing.

Holster issues with the Polymer 80's?

SFree
06-30-19, 16:35
Holster issues with the Polymer 80's?

Tier 1 makes Poly 80 specific holsters along with several lesser known makers. If it’s kydex, a little heat and it’s molded to the trigger guard, which is where most kydex holsters index.
With the growing popularity of Polymer 80 I see more companies providing product accessories.

AKDoug
06-30-19, 18:10

I made the mistake of buying the first run Poly 80. It really didn't offer much in advantage over the stock Glock. Looks like the new ones are way better. I'm seriously considering dropping the coin on a SS MR918 this week. It looks like it has the undercut and relief in the area where my trigger finger rides, at far less money than a G5 19 and a trip to a customizer.

Texaspoff
07-01-19, 06:53
I made the mistake of buying the first run Poly 80. It really didn't offer much in advantage over the stock Glock. Looks like the new ones are way better. I'm seriously considering dropping the coin on a SS MR918 this week. It looks like it has the undercut and relief in the area where my trigger finger rides, at far less money than a G5 19 and a trip to a customizer.

I absolutely love mine. IMO far better than a Poly80 frame as it works in every glock holster I have, including duty holsters without the need to modify them.

https://i.imgur.com/Z4JVvn8l.jpg

TXPO

SFree
07-01-19, 09:40
MR918 is a great frame and the beauty of the situation is there are more options for Glock frames! Gen2 Polymer 80 frames give me what I want and I can get them for less than $100, which is why I’ve not pursued other options... yet

Texaspoff
07-01-19, 10:19
The MR is a great pistol, but I do agree, there are a lot of folks who do not want to venture into purchasing the whole pistol from a third party manufacturer. I suspect at some point SS will sell the frame independently. I don't think they could make enough of them to keep up with depend honestly.

I personally would love to see them come up with a crossover designed frame as well.

TXPO

Ron3
07-01-19, 23:19
On the other hand, I got an APX the day they came out, and it stuck so firm and far out on full squeeze I did hone it down.

Yea, it's tolerable on a Glock, but the APX I fired it was much more pronounced and annoying.

Even more annoying was the cross pin in the frame. It got really hot. And because it's right where most people including me rest their trigger finger when not shooting I kept burning the tip of my trigger finger.

I was done with the APX at that point because nothing is going to fix that.

I was also disappointed with the slide protrusions that make it look like they'd give all the grip you could want to rack the slide. But they don't because they are so smooth. Mostly cosmetic, really.

Ron3
07-01-19, 23:22
With my G23 and G19, no issues with the serrated trigger until I bought a G17 and grew to hate the grooved trigger enough to replace it on my G19. G23 moved on down the road.

Andy

I hate the grooved trigger, too. The smooth faced trigger is much nicer. I never switched mine out because I don't fire my last Glock much anymore but I may someday.

My Beretta has a grooved trigger, too. I'd prefer it smooth but the grooves are so shallow I hardly notice.