PDA

View Full Version : HK SP5K / MP5s

jh9
06-23-19, 08:52
For someone who knows absolutely nothing about the HK MP5, where would be a good place to start?

I noticed the SP5k is current production. Is there anything to note about these compared to a regular MP5?

Ammunition requirements? How well do they handle JHPs or are they ball-only, etc.

How does recoil compare to a 9mm AR or similar PCC?

What kind of maintenance schedule or parts availability should I know about.

If I wanted to go the SBR route, what's involved beyond removing the end cap and replacing with any of the stock assemblies at hkparts.net?

Pappabear
06-23-19, 10:21
For someone who knows absolutely nothing about the HK MP5, where would be a good place to start?

I noticed the SP5k is current production. Is there anything to note about these compared to a regular MP5?

Ammunition requirements? How well do they handle JHPs or are they ball-only, etc.

How does recoil compare to a 9mm AR or similar PCC?

What kind of maintenance schedule or parts availability should I know about.

If I wanted to go the SBR route, what's involved beyond removing the end cap and replacing with any of the stock assemblies at hkparts.net?

I have a friend that owns every possible HK sub gun MP5, SP5K, UMP in all calibers and he told me to buy a Zenith with brace. It is made with HK equipment and has upgrades. 3 Lug adapter, mag release...Check those out, and you dont have to SBR it because it already is.

Feed it any and all ammo.

Recoil is nothing to speak of.

Ive never cleaned mine.

Dont need to SBR it but you can always do so. The place you buy it from should be able to help you SBR it if you want to.

PB

Dcr5595
06-23-19, 12:23
I second what papabear said - buy a zenith and put a sb tactical HKPDW brace on it (my brace is on order). I have several sbrs and may do this one at some point - I just didn’t want to deal with 922r at this time.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190623/ad133c1d01fc8ed1d10f8701908f7af8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bantee
06-23-19, 12:36
I have an SP5K that has been sbr'd. If you can swing the cash...I would go HK. Two push pins are removed to swap stocks I went with the Choate folder. I'm running a mix of ETS & factory HK mags, both have been flawless.
The paddle mag release from HK Parts is also a must have, it's expensive...but worth it..
Buy +2, & +4 rollers, a few roller retaining plates, a few extra extractor springs...(remove, & clean under the extractor every 500 rounds or so) & shoot the bejeezus out of it.
Mine handles JHP's with no issue, & is as soft shooting, as any other 9mm PCC I have shot (1 AR pattern, & an MPX,)
In my hands the MP5 was both, more accurate, & more reliable...though the lack of modern controls, makes it slower for me to run as efficiently.

JoshNC
06-23-19, 18:17
I would absolutely never recommend a non-Hk roller delay if an hk is available at a reasonable price. Zenith and POF are licensed copies, but made in Germany by Germans they are not. Their QC/QA leaves much to be desired. Just as good as HK they are not. Made in Turkey or Pakistan will never be the equal of HK.

The SP5K is available and at a pretty reasonable price compared to what an SP89 cost before the SP5K was released. Add a B&T MP5K-N barrel, send to TSC Machine for barrel swap, paddle mag install, remark to MP5K-N, and refinish and you have an heirloom quality HK MP5K-N. The SP5K also has the F bolt head upgrades, a tungsten-filled carrier, and an ambi/Navy FBI type lower.

Re: ammo, my MP5-N and MP5K-N both eat any full power 9x19 so long as it’s not a truncated bullet. Speer Gold Dot 124gr and 147gr are my preferred carry loads and both of my MP5s feed/function great with both.

Maintenance is easy. I clean every 1000-1500 rounds. I used to go longer intervals but had so much carbon in the roller recessed of the trunion on my K-N that it was affecting bolt gap and giving me failures. The extractor spring design is the weak link in the MP5, so stock up on factory HK made extractor springs because when you remove the extractor spring you want to replace it per HK recommendations. You should not need different roller sizes any time soon unless you change your bolthead (don’t) or change your locking piece (#28 was designed for 147gr subsonic use, but is not a necessity imo unless you’re shooting fullauto). But it’s a good idea to pick up different rollers in anticipation of the future.

Recoil is negligible, less in my opinion than a Colt type AR15/M16 9mm.

Everyone needs at least one MP5. If you’re only going to own one, make it a German HK.

Pappabear
06-23-19, 19:09
I have an SP5K that has been sbr'd. If you can swing the cash...I would go HK. Two push pins are removed to swap stocks I went with the Choate folder. I'm running a mix of ETS & factory HK mags, both have been flawless.
The paddle mag release from HK Parts is also a must have, it's expensive...but worth it..
Buy +2, & +4 rollers, a few roller retaining plates, a few extra extractor springs...(remove, & clean under the extractor every 500 rounds or so) & shoot the bejeezus out of it.
Mine handles JHP's with no issue, & is as soft shooting, as any other 9mm PCC I have shot (1 AR pattern, & an MPX,)
In my hands the MP5 was both, more accurate, & more reliable...though the lack of modern controls, makes it slower for me to run as efficiently.

So why not the Zenith Gun? It already has the paddle and 3 lug. I love HK shit but if someone does it better .....

O.P. look up Grand Thumb on you tube and see his review. Its pretty good.

If you need to say I have an HK, then buy an HK, otherwise buy a zenith.

PB

06-23-19, 19:23
In my use of select fire MP5’s, I’ve found them to be lower recoil than Colt 9mm weapons. Ergos aside, its basically the only SMG that makes sense at all vs a 556 or BLK SBR. It just shoots so smooth, and is totally reliable, at least with NATO ball. Super controllable in auto. Very accurate.

The CMMG Guard has caught my eye, though, in hopes that it runs as smooth as the MP5, but with AR Manual of Arms.

Bantee
06-23-19, 20:20
In regards to why the HK vis clones, JoshNC expounded upon the whys far better than I could of...I have no doubts that many of the clones are fantastic machines..in my case, I had the extra couple bucks, & I am an HK fan. I do think short of the rollmark, most clones will do a superb job.

JoshNC
06-23-19, 22:11
So why not the Zenith Gun? It already has the paddle and 3 lug. I love HK shit but if someone does it better .....

O.P. look up Grand Thumb on you tube and see his review. Its pretty good.

If you need to say I have an HK, then buy an HK, otherwise buy a zenith.

PB

Turkish made will never be better than, nor the equal to German made. If you want a MKE, buy the MKE. But don’t for a moment consider it the equal of a German MP5.

The MKE has a paddle mag release and threaded/3-lug barrel. I wish HK had done the same. But I will still choose HK over MKE, POF, or any other. There are myriad reports of QC issues from both MKE and POF. The 3-lugs are also not timed. I would prefer to spend the extra cash and own the HK.

It’s not brand snobbery. I shoot my MP5s frequently and don’t baby them.

RetroRevolver77
06-23-19, 22:21
I have both an HK MP5 94 and an HK MP5K SP89. They are neat nostalgia pieces. Mine are done right for their time but to me the MP5K-N is the way to go overall.

freeride1
06-23-19, 22:37
Turkish made will never be better than, nor the equal to German made. If you want a MKE, buy the MKE. But don’t for a moment consider it the equal of a German MP5.

The MKE has a paddle mag release and threaded/3-lug barrel. I wish HK had done the same. But I will still choose HK over MKE, POF, or any other. There are myriad reports of QC issues from both MKE and POF. The 3-lugs are also not timed. I would prefer to spend the extra cash and own the HK.

I don't buy most of the hysteria around the latest Zenith imports. It's the same few people shit posting on multiple forums, honestly some are really disingenuous guys. I own two and they are 100%, I'm totally satisfied with them. In the unusual event you have a problem, Zenith is extremely responsive and stands behind their work. Also, my three lug is timed perfectly fine.

I own an SP5K and as you say it's better. Fit and finish is noticeably better. It's a good value if you like the stock configuration, particularly with the ambi lower. Most newbies are shocked to learn they have to spend $500 to get the classic pictogram lower for their Zenith.

However, I really prefer the full size configuration. It's the most versatile and the best shooting of them all. H&K doesn't currently offer one, and HK94 prices have gone absolutely insane. I have a Zenith Z5RS and I'm very happy with it. The fit and finish are not as nice as the SP5k but it's been every bit as functional for me.

The real problem with the SP5K is that when you do it right, as you noted you will have an heirloom quality gun. But you've spent close to $4,000, which is way too much money for someone new to a platform.

Bret
06-23-19, 22:41
Here's my Zenith Z-5RS.
https://i.postimg.cc/tgsFgH8c/Z-5-RS-right-view.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Qd4psMY5/Z-5-RS-right-view-with-Ti-Rant-9.jpg

SteyrAUG
06-24-19, 01:24
I would absolutely never recommend a non-Hk roller delay if an hk is available at a reasonable price. Zenith and POF are licensed copies, but made in Germany by Germans they are not. Their QC/QA leaves much to be desired. Just as good as HK they are not. Made in Turkey or Pakistan will never be the equal of HK.

The SP5K is available and at a pretty reasonable price compared to what an SP89 cost before the SP5K was released. Add a B&T MP5K-N barrel, send to TSC Machine for barrel swap, paddle mag install, remark to MP5K-N, and refinish and you have an heirloom quality HK MP5K-N. The SP5K also has the F bolt head upgrades, a tungsten-filled carrier, and an ambi/Navy FBI type lower.

Re: ammo, my MP5-N and MP5K-N both eat any full power 9x19 so long as it’s not a truncated bullet. Speer Gold Dot 124gr and 147gr are my preferred carry loads and both of my MP5s feed/function great with both.

Maintenance is easy. I clean every 1000-1500 rounds. I used to go longer intervals but had so much carbon in the roller recessed of the trunion on my K-N that it was affecting bolt gap and giving me failures. The extractor spring design is the weak link in the MP5, so stock up on factory HK made extractor springs because when you remove the extractor spring you want to replace it per HK recommendations. You should not need different roller sizes any time soon unless you change your bolthead (don’t) or change your locking piece (#28 was designed for 147gr subsonic use, but is not a necessity imo unless you’re shooting fullauto). But it’s a good idea to pick up different rollers in anticipation of the future.

Everyone needs at least one MP5. If you’re only going to own one, make it a German HK.

Agree with everything, even though I'm very happy with my early import MKE MP5 and MP5k SBRs. Only thing I wouldn't do is bother with a barrel swap. To me a k/PDW platform is meant to be compact so I don't really need it to be suppressor ready. I have full size MP5s for that.

Still want to lay my hands on a cheap POF just so I can justify a "green furniture" MP5. My MKEs were second shipment / first imports (mine were specifically the MKE 94P and 94k) and seem to be better quality than the ones that were recently imported, they also make nice bang around guns for things that I wouldn't want to do with my pre86 dealer samples.

For the 94k all I had to do was register it and add a folding stock, for the 94p I had to cut, crown and three lug which I had done by S&H Arms who are probably the best in the biz when it comes to doing three lug adapters, the barrel threads run all the way through the adapter just like factory HK guns.

But if anyone is looking to just "get one" today, the SP5k is clearly the way to go.

jh9
06-24-19, 14:48
Appreciate the feedback, all.

I doubt adding a can is in the future. But SBRing almost certainly is.

NongShim
06-24-19, 20:16

If adding a can isn’t a consideration, Sp5K all day.

I had an original MKE import and I actually found it to be inferior in build quality to my more recent Zenith import. I no longer own the original one, and my current Zenith has an improperly timed three lug. That being said, it’s been fine shooting. The gun has functioned 100%. If the gun isn’t going to be a sear host, and you want a full sized gun the Zenith will likely suffice. It’s also the only game in town. HK94 prices are wild and the MKE is a contract gun which makes it a real gun, despite its lower pedigree.

That being said, Josh talked me into buying a Sp5K. I hate to admit it, but it’s nicer. Compared to beaten up work Mp5 the MKE seems nice enough. Compared to a new HK it’s garbage.

Take that with a grain of salt, but I own both.

JoshNC
06-24-19, 20:17

In that case, buy the SP5K, install paddle mag, eForm-1, add requisite US parts for 922(r), add stock of your choice. Done.

ccosby
06-24-19, 20:36
Big thing with mp5's is to keep extractor springs on hand. Its a weak point on the gun and they shouldn't be reused if you pull the extractor. I'd prob have an extractor on hand as well although they don't wear out that often.

Agree. Its worth saying at least in MKE's case they were a licensed factory, they no longer are which is why their guns don't have the updates that the HK ones do. I wouldn't buy their K gun, I'd go with the SP5k. Now if you want a full sized gun the zenith is worth considering although if I did it again I think I'd go with a dakota tactical or pcs build. My zenith full sized has been good although like almost every zenith I've seen the 3 lugs were painted and it causes issues with 3 lug suppressors. Fit and finish on the gun though is nothing compared to my sp5k or my hk94s. I'd agree on having TSC Machine do the work as well if you want a barrel swap on a sp5k. They are easily some of the best in the industry and are great people as well.

As far as recoil goes not much can compare to the mp5. Most of the guns are direct blow back and just don't shoot as well due to the extra mass of the bolt moving around. Haven't shot the B&T guns which use a hydraulic buffer but they are said to be close. The MPX actually is very soft shooting as well. In semi auto this isn't as big of a deal, in full auto you really notice it.

Edit: Friend shooting my sp5k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hj_NqnTA7M

That is actually the first sp5k TSC Machine got in. Sat for a little while waiting on a B&T barrel. Ended up having him refinish it to the burnt bronze later in its life and gave him another sp5k to do correctly(1/2x32 b&t barrel, remarked, etc). The first one I didn't have Mike remark before I form 1'd it and regretted it.

MadAngler1
06-24-19, 22:09
Last year I purchased a Zenith Z5 rifle, and was terribly disappointed to find that their picatinny rail did not line up with the sights. Huge bummer, and I wound up selling it.

Bought a SP5K and did the TSC MP5k conversion with a threaded 3 lug B&T barrel. Worth every darn penny, especially when Zeniths are over $2k to begin with.

I got my form 1 back and there is now a B&T stock. I love my SP5k and it runs great suppressed.

Unless you want a standard sized MP5, there is no reason to not buy a HK SP5K.

eodinert
06-25-19, 09:13
I think all of this has already been addressed, but this is the internet, so here is my opinion.

There are a few reasons to get into MP5s, so like an AR, my first question would be 'what do you want to use it for?'. If it's going to be a sear host, or suppressed, those might drive you in a certain direction.

I have several MKEs, a POF, a DJ Getz, an early Vector, an Omega and a Micheal's Machines gun in my pile of roller locks. Many years ago I had a genuine HK 94, '93, and '91 which regrettably I no longer have, but I have seen what 'right' looks like.

-A Glock is a better idea than a semi auto MP5 for 'bumps in the night'
-It's OK to buy guns because they are cool
-Get the one you think is cool
-MP5Ks don't need three lug mounts
-MP5s are fun

Both of my MKEs are great, but they've been a bit scarce lately, and the price has edged higher on the entire line. An MKE clone is much closer to the price of a proper SP5K than it used to be, so right now, I think that would be the way to go if you can swing it, if you want a K.

FWIW, the first batch of SP5Ks had the occasional hole in the receiver where they cut the shelf for the scope mount, so all the talk about HK quality should be tempered with a bit of reality.

Chase45
06-25-19, 15:53
MP5 is the best of the PCCs

Id either look at a Zenith, or if you are a bit handy you can build one

Homebrew SD

https://i.imgur.com/ihVD1Dhh.jpg

Firefly
06-26-19, 06:55
Dont waste your time on MP5s. they suck.

not a troll. not a joke. Not irony.

They were relevant in from the 60s tp the 80s but nos they simply are not worth the time, money, money, MONEY, and stress for a delayed blowback pistol caliber. They make respectable 9mm ARs that do well in PCC matches.

jpmuscle
06-26-19, 07:39

They were relevant in from the 60s tp the 80s but nos they simply are not worth the time, money, money, MONEY, and stress for a delayed blowback pistol caliber. They make respectable 9mm ARs that do well in PCC matches.

This all day

Considering the B&T offerings MP5s are relics. Cool relics but relics nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rat
06-26-19, 08:37

As a Z5P owner I agree with this. The part that annoys me the most is the lack of bolt hold open on empty. I can reload my damn AUG faster than I can reload this thing.

If it weren't for the mag ban here in CO I'd have gone with something more modern like the Scorpion and paid half the overall money.

Chase45
06-26-19, 14:37
I disagree with the last few posts. Its by far the best subgun type Ive shot. It just shoots better and works all the time. Ive got a K, full size and a SD. They all run and run and run and easy to use out past 100 yards. I feel the bolt hold open complaint is a lame one. You should know when its getting close to empty. Its not hard to change a mag instead of waiting for the gun to tell you its dry.

The Scorpion does shoot pretty well for the price, but it just feels cheap. The MPXs Ive used had spotty reliability and component breakage with prolonged use. The B&T offerings I haven't had the pleasure, Im sure they are great. But in the end its still not a MP5, and Id be skeptical if any of the other platforms sound as good as a MP5 suppressed

eodinert
06-26-19, 15:45
While I do agree that the platform is dated, an AR in 9mm shoots like crap compared to an MP5. You're trading last round hold open for shooting impulse.

AR9s shoot like shit.

Chase45
06-26-19, 15:58
While I do agree that the platform is dated, an AR in 9mm shoots like crap compared to an MP5. You're trading last round hold open for shooting impulse.

AR9s shoot like shit.

The recoil is very disproportionate for a 9mm on the AR9s Ive shot. Seemed to recoil as much as 5.56mm guns, if not more...

SteyrAUG
06-26-19, 16:39

AR9s shoot like shit.

While I don't feel 9mm AR recoil is anything dramatic, it is more substantial. But for me the big difference is magazines (uzi mags suck compared to MP5 mags). Also there seems to be more suppressor options for the MP5 platform vs. the 9mm AR.

All that said, I still want a DOE type.

Pappabear
06-26-19, 17:22
The real problem with the SP5K is that when you do it right, as you noted you will have an heirloom quality gun. But you've spent close to $4,000, which is way too much money for someone new to a platform.

So its $4k vs $2k to get the HK where you want it. It also goes back to what your are going to use it for. Mine is a cool as fck range SBR toy. My goto is a 10.3 suppressed Colt. Fit and finish dont concern me on this weapon. My buddy that has the HK with the "real navy barrel? Try lug this and that, spent a fortune making his exactly like whatever people like that want it to be - perfect for them. And that is cool too, OP pull the trigger on one of them because everybody oughta have one. Keep us posted.

I think Zenith fixed many of there early problems.

PB

Pappabear
06-26-19, 17:30
For those who know much more than myself, what is a "Timed 3 lug adapter". Gotta picture? I'd like to know if mine is timed correctly.

My buddy also said that HK is rumored to be coming out with a non nuetered MP5 with try lug and paddle in the future. RUMORED!

PB

Chase45
06-26-19, 18:02
For those who know much more than myself, what is a "Timed 3 lug adapter". Gotta picture? I'd like to know if mine is timed correctly.

My buddy also said that HK is rumored to be coming out with a non nuetered MP5 with try lug and paddle in the future. RUMORED!

PB

It's just where the 3 lug line up at 12, 4 and 6 o'clock. Its aesthetical more than anything

Bret
06-26-19, 18:17
It's just where the 3 lug line up at 12, 4 and 6 o'clock. Its aesthetical more than anything
I was wondering that myself. Thanks.

Pappabear
06-26-19, 19:55
I just checked my MKE Zenith and its timed correctly. FWIW. That timing issue seems silly to me but YMMV.

PB

RetroRevolver77
06-27-19, 08:39

AR's aren't cool though.

NongShim
06-27-19, 20:53
AR's aren't cool though.

We might have just agreed for once.

RetroRevolver77
06-28-19, 22:58
Delete

JoshNC
06-29-19, 09:20
HK MP5's are the best overall sub guns though today there are newer generations of better subguns available.

I love my HKs. My MP5K-N and MP5-N are near constant range companions. And IMO every collector/shooter needs an HK MP5 variant. It’s a necessity. With that said, the APC9 Pro outclasses the MP5 with regard to updated features and ergonomics. Thankfully we live in a free country and can own both, and more.

Nimslow
06-29-19, 13:15
After much indecision, I picked up a Zenith Z5RS last week, just because.

I'm pretty pleased with the fit and finish. I'm going to SBR it, but thats about all my plans for this one.

I do wish I'd waited for the APC9PRO, before I jumped on that however.

https://i.imgur.com/ls4UnBA.jpg

SteyrAUG
06-30-19, 01:54
I love my HKs. My MP5K-N and MP5-N are near constant range companions. And IMO every collector/shooter needs an HK MP5 variant. It’s a necessity. With that said, the APC9 Pro outclasses the MP5 with regard to updated features and ergonomics. Thankfully we live in a free country and can own both, and more.

That APC9 Pro is what I need in my life.

RetroRevolver77
06-30-19, 11:46
Delete

Todd.K
06-30-19, 12:51
It's an individual question for each person to answer.

There are collector types who are not happy without the markings being perfect on a genuine HK. There are plenty happy with the import clones as shooters. Only you know where you fall on that scale, be honest with yourself about your wants, needs, and finances.

Same with modern tool vs fun/collector gun.

SteyrAUG
06-30-19, 17:02
I think the greater philosophical question is- would now be the time to update to modern weapons instead of outdated relics designed during the cold war?

For me or the military? Because they are two very different things.

shootdr1
06-30-19, 20:08
I picked up an HK SP5 K. It should ship on Friday so I am hoping to get it out sometime late next week. I was on the fence about it vs the Zenith but I got a good deal on the HK so went with that. I am going to get the APC Pro very soon as well so that should be neat to compare them. I will post some pics when I get it.

C-grunt
07-01-19, 15:16
I was at the range today with my Zenith and my friends MP5 and B&T GHM9-C. We were filming some promo vids for his products (Custom Smith Mfg).

The MP5 definitely has less recoil and was easier to stay on the 2/3 size IDPA steel at 50 yards. Not that the B&T was hard though.

If I had to choose one to go raid an embassy tomorrow I'd choose the B&T. That being said the MP5 wouldn't get my kilt in da street either.

I love my Zenith but will probably buy a B&T down the road.

kaltesherz
07-01-19, 18:42
This thread should help out any new MP5 owner or potential owner. I've had everyone from gun noobs to SOF dudes gush over mine after putting a mag or two through it. MP5 or GTFO.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?201369-UPDATED-2-9-18-Zenith-MKE-Z5RS-(MP5)-SBR-review-A-love-story

ccosby
07-01-19, 22:49
This thread should help out any new MP5 owner or potential owner. I've had everyone from gun noobs to SOF dudes gush over mine after putting a mag or two through it. MP5 or GTFO.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?201369-UPDATED-2-9-18-Zenith-MKE-Z5RS-(MP5)-SBR-review-A-love-story

I was at an indoor range with some friends not too long ago and ended up letting some women shoot my converted hk94 with sear. I think it was the second or third time one of them had been shooting and they had shot pistols and an ar. Couple of shots in I told her to click it to the 3 round burst and hold on as her husband was telling her to go for it. With the 3 shot burst she was able to keep it on target putting a huge smile on her face. You could tell how shocked they were with how easy it was to shoot.

Its really hard to describe unless you shoot one next to something else, even another 9mm pcc. I wish some of these newer guns shot as smooth.

Now I brought out my mp5sd to a mg shoot last earlier this year running the sear pack(hk94 with a mp5sd parts kit and kac can). Most of the people there that had shot mgs before hadn't shot one of them. That thing really shocked people. God I ****ing hated cleaning it after though, it was run hard that day.

Boba Fett v2
07-02-19, 08:33

I second this. Picked up one of the first SP5Ks when they were released back in 2016. My LGS only had two come in and I claimed one of them paying full MSRP at the time. Last year I picked up a Zenith Z5P upper direct from Zenith (James Williamson when he was heading operations) and it had issues. Of course they took care of me and fixed it, but I ended up selling it and won't consider another Zenith when there are better options available. My full-sized MP5 will be a Dakota Tactical unless HK surprises us with a full-sized MP5 pistol to build from. I've got KAC components and a final run MP5-Navy suppressor just waiting for the right host.

That being said, I have no real practical use for my SP5K or any future MP5 variant I might own. For me it's all about having a very cool, albeit expensive, range toy and collector piece that I've always wanted since I was a young dude watching kickass action movies like Die Hard. I take it out on occasion just for shits and giggles and it's great for Instagram, but I have what I need for serious work if it comes down to it. 'Murica.

chadbag
07-02-19, 14:50
Back in the late 90s, I bought an H&K SP89 and I also bought a Fleming sear. I sent the SP89 off to Terry Dyer with a nice sized check. It came back with the upper re-marked to say MP5K, a standard SEF trigger pack (converted to clip on), a K fore grip, 3 lug barrel, an H&K marked folding stock (PDW style), and instructions on how to put the sear in with a tool included. Once I had it all together, it was basically an MP5K-PDW. The difference being the trigger pack still being a clip-on and not a real push pin). Being single and a computer SW engineer contractor had its benefits back then.

(As an aside: It came back to me by UPS. I came home from work and there was a package sitting on my doorstep, as the UPS guy had come while I was gone. I think there was something about Adult Signature Required but he just left it -- was nice to live in the backwoods, relatively speaking, in New Hampshire).

It was a very nice shooter. With a small amount of practice, you could do a full mag dump of 30 rds and keep them on a paper plate at some nominal distance (15-20 ft or maybe 25 ft). Very easy to shoot. The first few rounds had a slight amount of rise, then it just leveled off and stayed on target.

I did not take it out that often but it was a blast and every one who shot it liked it (and it was easy for almost anyone to shoot short bursts with).

Alas, I sold it last year (sear and gun together). While I loved it, and would have liked to keep it, at this stage in my life, I'd had the satisfaction of shooting it a bunch and in our family situation right now we needed the money to help against some obligations.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-02-19, 17:31
I wonder what the PSA MP5s will be like. Supposed to hit a new low price point.

wolffie
07-02-19, 20:50

My assumption, because of the goal of price point, Is that it’s a race to the bottom....

Hopefully we’re all shocked. But PSA doesn’t instill confidence.

scooter22
07-02-19, 21:08
For what it's worth, my Zenith Z5P will only reliably feed round nose ammunition. However, I honestly haven't had the time to troubleshoot much.

Ergos and trigger leave much to be desired in my opinion.

Recoil is non-existent compared to CZ Scorpion.

Overall, it's a fun "range toy". I would prefer something with a manual of arms more similar to an AR for SD/HD.

ccosby
07-02-19, 23:35

Absolute shit that will not run. Maybe by the third revision it will fire reliability. They couldn't get ak's to run right and the roller lock guns are far harder to do correctly. The early reports from the shows was that the guns they showed off were not working right for basic function checks. I seem to remember them claiming they had no idea who Todd Bailey was and that it came out PTR wasn't working with them. Not sure if you can actually get all of the parts from US sources without using one of them.

kaltesherz
07-03-19, 23:15
Even Gun Jesus gets it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkzelAfhsvA

SteyrAUG
07-04-19, 02:10
Even Gun Jesus gets it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkzelAfhsvA

Honestly, I probably blame Pete Kokalis for the majority of my future firearm purchases.

Back in the 80s he wrote some of the best gun reviews of all time in the pages of SOF.

https://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/mp5/choice/coang.htm

hotrodder636
07-04-19, 08:58
I have an SP5K, got it the year they were released, first 6 months IIRC. fit and finish is better than the Zeniths I have held/shot. I have not taken the rail mount off to see if my receiver has the holes.

That said, I recently purchased an APC Pro...not an MP5 but dayum!

JoshNC
07-04-19, 14:01

Is it worth the $1200-$1400 gamble when known reliable options are available? Having personally been down the clone path, I just don’t feel the juice is worth the squeeze. I would rather buy the genuine article, and while paying more you know you have something worth owning that’s also 100% reliable.

md66948
08-04-19, 19:31
Here are a few HKs:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/HbiZMz.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnHbiZMzj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/UXMago.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnUXMagoj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/f6hAGQ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pof6hAGQj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/torkdv.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pltorkdvj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/L3wk1A.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plL3wk1Aj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/922/zVoSb4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmzVoSb4j)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/kw3zmY.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plkw3zmYj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/GiN0iI.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poGiN0iIj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/ieOrDF.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poieOrDFj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/Corovy.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poCorovyj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/CrFOyv.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plCrFOyvj)

JoshNC
08-04-19, 22:36
Here are a few HKs:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/HbiZMz.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnHbiZMzj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/UXMago.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnUXMagoj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/f6hAGQ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pof6hAGQj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/torkdv.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pltorkdvj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/L3wk1A.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plL3wk1Aj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/922/zVoSb4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmzVoSb4j)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/kw3zmY.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plkw3zmYj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/GiN0iI.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poGiN0iIj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/ieOrDF.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poieOrDFj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/Corovy.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poCorovyj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/CrFOyv.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plCrFOyvj)

You have excellent taste. All German, except for the 40?

md66948
08-05-19, 05:41
yes. the 40 is one of my favorites. we have one more as new FBI parts kit in 40. I plan to have it built into a 10mm. We also have a few reg. auto sears in our family LLC.