PDA

View Full Version : Name Something You Grew Up With That Is Gone & Not Coming Back

Doc Safari
06-24-19, 15:33
I'd have to pick mall video arcades. In high school and the first year or two of college that was THE hangout until we were 21 and could go to bars. I met new friends and chicks there. It was "home base" for us to start our day and figure out what we were going to do. I think the last one in this area closed about 1992 or 1993.

nimdabew
06-24-19, 15:38
Personal accountability.

Doc Safari
06-24-19, 15:39
Personal accountability.

LOL. And Civility if you're going there. :agree:

arptsprt
06-24-19, 16:00
My maternal Grandma and Grandpa. I’m where I am today in my career because of my “Papa.”

They were both a huge part of my upbringing. I was lucky to have them into my mid to late 30s. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of and miss them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
06-24-19, 16:05
I thought of one that's probably going to piss some people off. I remember a time before people started putting bass-booming speakers into their cars. A person could actually be in the back yard as traffic passed and you could not hear even ONE car radio or stereo as traffic went by. I wish those days could return.

06-24-19, 16:17
Hard work and proper treatment by an employer for it. And a general sense of wanting to do a good job by employees.

A good truck for a reasonable price.

Craftsmanship, timeliness, and completion of the job by people hired to fix stuff or perform maintenance.

Insensitivity and a general lack of professional victims. They certainly existed, but we are on a different curve today.

My youth and hair.

Louisiana liquor laws now that I live in the east.

My family.

Don’t miss:

The outright hatred I got when I brought a selfloading rifle to the range. I was once asked to slow my fire or leave because a woman on the range complained that she was pregnant and my HK91 was loud.

The amount of religion that was shoved down my throat.

Trucks without AC.

AWB.

06-24-19, 16:18
I thought of one that's probably going to piss some people off. I remember a time before people started putting bass-booming speakers into their cars. A person could actually be in the back yard as traffic passed and you could not hear even ONE car radio or stereo as traffic went by. I wish those days could return.

Ugh. I don’t want to hear your stupid effing music. If I did I would go to a concert.

CWM11B
06-24-19, 16:22
America

06-24-19, 16:25
America

Dude, I started to type that in my first response, but backspaced for more specificity because I figured I was being a half drunk douche. I’d put a like on this if it was a thing here.

sgtrock82
06-24-19, 16:42
A time when super fat kids werent so super common. I swear people are prouder of their little porkers than theyve ever been too.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
06-24-19, 16:46
A time when super fat kids werent so super common. I swear people are prouder of their little porkers than theyve ever been too.

And adults too. I constantly wonder if our food has changed so much that it makes people chemically gain weight, or if people are just that much more sedentary. I've looked at old black and white photos of people from my parents' generation and I don't see a single fat person.

I'd say counting from maybe the early 1990's up through today most of the people I know are overweight. Maybe one out of ten is normally proportioned.

06-24-19, 16:56
They’re that much more sedentary. And still eating as if they weren’t.

sgtrock82
06-24-19, 17:03
Purely in the spirit of the topic though, those big plastic caps that use to be on the bottom of plastic soda bottles. I remember laughing at the first bottle I saw without one and musing over what manner of off brand, peasant swill It must contain.

Not that I miss them or anything, just an excess from the past that aint coming back.

I also miss when words like "ain't" werent actually in the dictionary. Letting the animals run the farm is definitely the norm in america these days

sgtrock82
06-24-19, 17:04
They’re that much more sedentary. And still eating as if they weren’t.And Ironically dressed like athletes.

06-24-19, 17:18
And Ironically dressed like athletes.

I’m going to puke if I keep seeing hippopotami in leggings/yoga pants acting like that shite is appropriate for a professional or academic environment. Or even public.

SteyrAUG
06-24-19, 17:20
Kids with a sense of independence who were given a lot of room to see and explore unsupervised and for the most part didn't do incredibly stupid shit.

We did our best to emulate our parents childhood including going camping by ourselves for the weekend. Watch movies like "Stand by Me" and that is really what it was like for my fathers generation. It is officially gone forever.

We camped a lot closer to home and stocked up at the corner market before "roughing it", but at least we slept outside under the stars and woke up on a chilly morning breathing the cleanest air you ever sucked into your lungs.

Gunnar da Wolf
06-24-19, 17:26
Just to dial the serious level back:

A&W Drive Inn. Hot dogs and that A&W root beer with the frozen frothy stuff on top.

SeriousStudent
06-24-19, 17:35
Smallpox.

06-24-19, 17:48
Smallpox.

Smallpox vax.

austinN4
06-24-19, 17:55
Have Gun Will Travel
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Rawhide
The Rifleman
The Cisco Kid
Wanted Dead or Alive

Just to name a few

MountainRaven
06-24-19, 18:34
Smallpox.

You say that...

Smallpox vax.

You have to give the vaccine before the disease.

:sarcastic:

TomMcC
06-24-19, 18:53
When kids, even pretty young ones, could go outside and play without massive supervision, and not have to worry about some perv grabbing them. When we were kids, maybe 10, my mom would say go out and dont come back until dinner or its dark.

prepare
06-24-19, 19:13
Gun display cases with glass doors in the living room and guns in gun racks in pick-up trucks with windows down/unlocked when parked.
And there were no active shooters.
How ironic...

06-24-19, 19:21
Gun display cases with glass doors in the living room and guns in gun racks in pick-up trucks with windows down/unlocked when parked.

This.

joedirt199
06-24-19, 19:44
Mixed tapes

donlapalma
06-24-19, 19:55
Blockbuster Video

jmoore
06-24-19, 20:05
Vent windows.

geezer john

OH58D
06-24-19, 20:10
When I was a kid growing up out here, we used an open fire to heat the brands during round up. Now we use propane burners to heat the irons. A picture taken earlier this month:
https://i.imgur.com/AYiV2mHh.jpg

Campbell
06-24-19, 20:19
Men that aren’t apologizing for something

FlyingHunter
06-24-19, 20:20
Blinkers. When I grew up cars had blinkers or at least had people driving them with a sense of courtesy to actually use them.

26 Inf
06-24-19, 20:23
Made me think of one of the Sons of the Pioneers songs I cant get out of my head:

http://bobnolan-sop.net/Lyrics/Music/Hold%20That%20Critter%20Down.mp3

Straight Shooter
06-24-19, 20:46
Old timey Horse Sense. Not common sense per se..THATS gone too..but just what the old timers called horse sense.
They just seemed to "know" how to fix/handle/take care of about anything that happened or came along.
When I spoke at my daddy's funeral..one thing I said about him was "he knew how to fix everything from a sick calf to a sick kid". Car, washer,carpentry, tractor, critters & kids, pop could mend them all. I MISS that. I have a little of it, not near as much as he and others of his generation and before did.

joedirt199
06-24-19, 21:00
Attentive drivers

MountainRaven
06-24-19, 21:04
When I was a kid growing up out here, we used an open fire to heat the brands during round up. Now we use propane burners to heat the irons. A picture taken earlier this month:

No Prince of Wales spurs?

1_click_off
06-24-19, 21:12
Well engineered toys like the Tandy Armatron.

VHS or even Betamax? I think it was called.

Naturally aspirated vehicle engines.

OH58D
06-24-19, 21:12
No Prince of Wales spurs?
Only if we were an English cattle operation. The jingling of the rowels lets you know it's a Western horse and cow outfit.

Honu
06-24-19, 21:19
ride you jetski with no reg and or other idiocy
go ride your MX bike where ever
shoot at the dump or local pit or where ever and no worries

neighbors talked
kids went outside and were not bored all the time and could entertain themselves

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-24-19, 21:22
Shopping malls(they're circling the drain).
Photo processing booths in grocery store and mall parking lots.
Video rental stores.
Soldier of Fortune magazine(it's still available in digital but it just ain't the same as the print edition)

Kids playing outside and roaming free. As somebody who spent my childhood outside, it pains me that it's summer right now and with the number of kids that live in the area I'm in, my two were the only ones outside playing today. Part of it is the number of kid piddlers seems to be much higher, or at least we know about them more than they did in the 80s when I was a kid, part of it is technology, and part of it is the parents fault.

Honu
06-24-19, 21:23
I'd have to pick mall video arcades. In high school and the first year or two of college that was THE hangout until we were 21 and could go to bars. I met new friends and chicks there. It was "home base" for us to start our day and figure out what we were going to do. I think the last one in this area closed about 1992 or 1993.

my Senior year this was huge I looked into how much the games were they were about 3k back then so had enough to buy one and that paid for another those two paid for 2 more and I kept expanding till I had grown a ton and got a huge arcade THEN the mob came and shut me down turns out its how they laundered money
they were nice I guess the boss liked the kid who decided to buy then pay into them and allowed me to have up to 8 games or so in mom and pop shops but no big arcades for me :) hahahahah was quite the eye opener

so ended up having small arcades in a few towns actually made more doing that then the larger ones so that was cool

NYH1
06-24-19, 21:29
My good friend Chris. In Nov. '92 at 19 he was having girlfriend problems and figured his stepdads 9mm in the side of his head would take care of them. He was right, he no longer has girlfriend problems....or any other problems. If he only knew what he'd end up missing.

NYH1.

BuzzinSATX
06-24-19, 21:40
$0.39 per gallon gas
Telephones with cords you leased from Ma Bell
Cap guns
Keds sneakers
Hamburgers on fried bread
14 game football seasons
Hockey played by men without helmets
Riding around town in the back of pickup trucks
4 channels on TV
AM radio with Wolfman Jack
Rear wheel drive cars with column manual shift levers
Red and white Daredevil fishing lures

Dr. Bullseye
06-24-19, 21:55
The surf mat, now outlawed in California.

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/what-is-a-surf-mat

OH58D
06-24-19, 23:16
The surf mat, now outlawed in California.
Why are they outlawed in California? Back in the late 60's and into the 70's I'd visit cousins in San Diego and I used both a Boogie Board and Surf Mat out at La Jolla.

sgtrock82
06-24-19, 23:21
https://i.imgur.com/AYiV2mHh.jpgAnother thing I thought was gone, the Marlboro man!

But now it appears he is alive and well lighting his smokes on the branding iron.

nimdabew
06-25-19, 00:22

Is he lighting a smoke off of the brand while holding the calf? Bad ass.

SteyrAUG
06-25-19, 01:06
Active shooters.
How ironic...

No kidding. I remember living room wall displays. Everything else was behind glass.

Now if you don't have a top tier Fort Knox level security facility you are "part of the problem" and deserve to have your guns stolen. Hell my grandfather had a shotgun in the corner of his office by his desk and swear to god there was something cased next to the refrigerator.

mrbieler
06-25-19, 01:14
Knowing you could make a mistake as a kid and not have it show up as a video to haunt you forever...

Firefly
06-25-19, 05:54
It’s best not to dwell. Anything you really want is out there.

The romance of the mixtape is nice but I have a device that is a camcorder, music player, computer, and phone all at the same time that I didn’t as even a young adult so there it is

flenna
06-25-19, 06:02

During hunting season every pickup truck in the high school parking lot had a gun hanging in the window. Nobody freaked out, no one got shot, no one went to jail. Those days are gone forever.

Watrdawg
06-25-19, 06:52
Just to dial the serious level back:

A&W Drive Inn. Hot dogs and that A&W root beer with the frozen frothy stuff on top.

Really miss the A&W drive in's!

Grand58742
06-25-19, 06:52
(Reasonably) Inexpensive and in good shape 64 1/2, 65 or 66 Ford Mustangs.

Have you seen the prices on those things now?

sundance435
06-25-19, 07:42
Really miss the A&W drive in's!

There are still a few around the Midwest, along with other mom & pop drive-ins.

I was talking about this with friends from high school the other day, what we miss. I graduated around the millennium and we were really the last generation that grew up without cell phones being a major part of our lives and no video evidence of everything we did. Some of us had phones (analog), but texts were ungodly expensive and you had like 200 minutes a month, so it really was a convenience, not a necessity. I miss that, not being tethered to a phone.

We didn't have helicopter parents, either.

Another thing I miss, and this may sound weird, is having a "real" enemy of the United States, e.g. the Soviet Union. It was fun to hate the Russkies and there was so much more pride in being an American.

flenna
06-25-19, 07:44

No kidding. In high school we could pick one up for $3k or $4k.

pinzgauer
06-25-19, 07:48

Have you seen the prices on those things now?I sold a running driving unrestored 65 in the 90s for $500.

Largely because it had the classic air cowl rust and I didn't want to deal with it.

AndyLate
06-25-19, 07:55
Blinkers. When I grew up cars had blinkers or at least had people driving them with a sense of courtesy to actually use them.

Blinker fluid was cheaper then.

Nightvisionary
06-25-19, 08:51
America:(

Doc Safari
06-25-19, 09:20
How about: Being able to work on your own car without a bunch of computer plug-in nonsense that costs more than the part you need?

Sry0fcr
06-25-19, 09:59
Toy guns.

glocktogo
06-25-19, 10:12
Kids with a sense of independence who were given a lot of room to see and explore unsupervised and for the most part didn't do incredibly stupid shit.

We did our best to emulate our parents childhood including going camping by ourselves for the weekend. Watch movies like "Stand by Me" and that is really what it was like for my fathers generation. It is officially gone forever.

We camped a lot closer to home and stocked up at the corner market before "roughing it", but at least we slept outside under the stars and woke up on a chilly morning breathing the cleanest air you ever sucked into your lungs.

When kids, even pretty young ones, could go outside and play without massive supervision, and not have to worry about some perv grabbing them. When we were kids, maybe 10, my mom would say go out and dont come back until dinner or its dark.

During hunting season every pickup truck in the high school parking lot had a gun hanging in the window. Nobody freaked out, no one got shot, no one went to jail. Those days are gone forever.

Came here to say all these. I couldn't count the times we'd dig up worms and head off to the fishing holes for an all day excursion with our bicycles festooned with a pole, tackle box, can of worms and a bb gun. We rode all over the place and no one ever said a word, not even the sheriff's deputies. It was just the norm.

In HS I had a car, but there was always a shotgun and shells in the trunk for some after school hunting, which was replaced with a rod and tackle if hunting seasons were closed.

My first one was an "A" code '66 GT notchback with disc brakes up front and a toploader 4 speed. It was already in "Day 2" condition, with a Torker intake, Holley 4 barrel, Hooker headers, Lakewood traction bars and Keystone mag wheels. Cost me $2,500 with a fresh coat of black paint and clean red interior. Now? I don't even want to think about the cost. :(

Uni-Vibe
06-25-19, 13:27
The New Deal.

Adrenaline_6
06-25-19, 15:29
For me...a 1969 Z-28 RS

Jellybean
06-25-19, 16:38
Hard work and proper treatment by an employer for it. And a general sense of wanting to do a good job by employees.

A good truck for a reasonable price.

Craftsmanship, timeliness, and completion of the job by people hired to fix stuff or perform maintenance.

Insensitivity and a general lack of professional victims. They certainly existed, but we are on a different curve today.

My youth and hair.

Louisiana liquor laws now that I live in the east.

My family.

Don’t miss:

The outright hatred I got when I brought a selfloading rifle to the range. I was once asked to slow my fire or leave because a woman on the range complained that she was pregnant and my HK91 was loud.

The amount of religion that was shoved down my throat.

Trucks without AC.

AWB.

You summed up exactly the odd place a person of my generation finds themselves...
Ironically it's pretty much the reverse now- people treating their brand of lunacy like a religion and shoving down everyone's throat, people get pissed at anyone with a selfloader, and everything is expensive, yet increasingly mediocre and your job will be your life, not like anyone at the place will care. :rolleyes: :mad:

Also I miss unkillable Nokia phones. Hundreds of bucks for some fragile thing people are attached to at the hip because their entire lives are increasingly on it, then then it gets dropped and smashes the screen. F that. Talk about a ripoff.
You could bludgeon a crook to the deck with one of the old Nokia's and it would still be in one piece to call the police afterwards... didn't need to carry a tac-light with an impact bezel... :laugh:

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-25-19, 17:35
Summit candy bars

ABNAK
06-25-19, 17:55
My loved ones who have died. Yeah it's life, I know that, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept. One of these days (hopefully a couple decades from now) it'll be me......:meeting:

1_click_off
06-25-19, 17:56
For me...a 1969 Z-28 RS

Maroon with ivory white racing stripes! Yes, I agree my buddy had this car. That was a great car.

1_click_off
06-25-19, 17:58
Snacks made with real sugar.

flenna
06-25-19, 18:05
Good television shows.

Barney Miller
MASH
Miami Vice
Airwolf
Sanford and Son

Just to name a few.

Artos
06-25-19, 18:11
No more than 20 minute drive in any direction from town to get a limit of doves...I'm still fortunate to have outstanding wing shooting relatively close, but the rio grande valley growth is bonkers.

titsonritz
06-25-19, 22:44
Personal accountability.

That ain't no lie.

I was thinking lawn darts.

Diamondback
06-25-19, 23:05
Having two political parties that differed on policy but at least shared love of country. :(

Dienekes
06-25-19, 23:53
Manners.

SteyrAUG
06-26-19, 00:17
Manners.

Zip code dependent. I'm still in cultural adjustment after a year in Iowa. It's not perfect, there are still dipshits and yahoos, but compared to what I left in Florida it's like living on another planet.

SteyrAUG
06-26-19, 00:33
Good television shows.

Barney Miller
MASH
Miami Vice
Airwolf
Sanford and Son

Just to name a few.

It still exists, it just isn't found on network tv much anymore. IMO AMC's Mad Men was one of the greatest shows in TV history. It was about the most boring subject in US history, advertising...but the characters were so completely developed and the story lines so amazingly compelling that we watched a show about something we at best don't care about at all and at worst absolutely hate.

People think The Soprano's was brilliant tv, but it was about the mafia and they still managed to screw it up after they ran out of material and started just putting up anyone's bullshit idea. Also probably the worst ending for any show...ever. By contrast Mad Men absolutely slam dunked the season finale in a satisfying "unspectacular" way that was just brilliant.

That said, Jonny Quest (1964-65) may be the best kids show in the history of tv and there will never be anything like it ever again. Thankfully with just about everything ever made available on DVD or Netflix I've gone down some great rabbit holes. I have complete box sets of just about every TV show from the 1950s and 1960s.

I honestly don't care what is on ABS, CBS or NBC anymore, I haven't watched those channels in years. My default channel is TCM ever since History Channel went to crap.

Having two political parties that differed on policy but at least shared love of country. :(

Do you really believe that existed in 1969? That stuff changes with the times, sometimes it's better - sometimes it's worse.

Grand58742
06-26-19, 00:36
Good television shows.

Barney Miller
MASH
Miami Vice
Airwolf
Sanford and Son

Just to name a few.

Along those same lines, movies that were long on guns, explosions and hot women with kick ass soundtracks and extremely predictable plots but thoroughly enjoyable as a way of killing an hour and a half.

SteyrAUG
06-26-19, 00:57
Along those same lines, movies that were long on guns, explosions and hot women with kick ass soundtracks and extremely predictable plots but thoroughly enjoyable as a way of killing an hour and a half.

I think Strike Back easily qualifies. :cool:

Grand58742
06-26-19, 01:33

Does it have 80s hair bands as the soundtrack?

Here's some nostalgia to peruse.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/music/50-best-songs-from-80s-movies

Diamondback
06-26-19, 01:33
Do you really believe that existed in 1969? That stuff changes with the times, sometimes it's better - sometimes it's worse.
I wasn't long into it, but I was born early enough to see the transition where the last Scoop Jackson Democrats either died off or turned GOP, and their former party turned All Sedition/Treason/Fascism All The Time--Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman were the last of that dying breed.

Frankly, the Democrats have been tainted from the very beginning and their roots as the Party of Slavery (which they still very much are).

elephant
06-26-19, 03:07
I miss the Motorola RAZR when it was popular around 2005.

I miss the music around 2004-2007 (Nada Surf, American Rejects, The Fray, John Mayer, Snow Patrol, Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab for Cutie, The Format etc.)

There was a season in my life around 2005-2009 that I miss dearly. I miss playing my Xbox 360 and staying up all night playing Halo 3, COD MW and Portal. I dated a girl that I really liked at the time and I had long hair and was at a time that I really liked who I was.

Firefly
06-26-19, 06:51
You are all just getting old, fat, and ugly.

It happens. Just sip a Monster drink and accept it.

mark5pt56
06-26-19, 07:03
Doritos and 1/2 gallon ice cream without nutritional information on them, 1981 Toyota 4x4 and girls that would do anything for concert tickets and a ride in the dunes.

flenna
06-26-19, 07:41
You are all just getting old, fat, and ugly.

It happens. Just sip a Monster drink and accept it.

I hate Monster drinks. Instead I am just sipping on a cup of black coffee thick enough to stand a fork up in.

mark5pt56
06-26-19, 07:44
I hate Monster drinks. Instead I am just sipping on a cup of black coffee thick enough to stand a fork up in.

Reminds me of the mess Sgt's brew. Later on at my old work, people would ask if I made the coffee-they would add a 1/2 cup of water in their mug.

THCDDM4
06-26-19, 08:41
I miss the times when people had different opinions and world views and could still just get along and be friends, talk about their respective ideals and move on without being dicks to one another.

I miss the days when every single thing you said wasn’t viewed through the lens of identity politics, we were all on the same “side” for the most part as fellow countrymen even though we belonged to different political parties and didn’t agree on everything.

I miss people saying “this is a free country” in response to someone trying to tell them how to think, feel, be or what to say or not say.

Doc Safari
06-26-19, 09:14
Here's one nobody has mentioned:

The Disney movie "Song of the South".

Go ahead: Try to find it to purchase, rent, stream, or whatever.

Unless I'm mistaken you can't view it for love or money.

I suspect if it hasn't happened already, every copy and master of this movie will eventually be made to disappear.

EDITED TO ADD: I was corrected on another forum. Apparently you can find it online now. I remember searching for it several years ago and there was an outcry that the PC crowd had made it virtually disappear.

Firefly
06-26-19, 10:15
girls that dont bikini shave, there I said it.

Doc Safari
06-26-19, 10:17

To be frank, this is a good point. I remember when women "shaving down there" wasn't even a thing. God I miss the 1970's for that one reason.

There, I said it.

Sam
06-26-19, 10:23

I bet your girl friend AOC still don't. LOL.

elephant
06-26-19, 13:26

Your in luck, now its becoming a popular trend for women not to shave down there (just trim) and to have arm pit hair!.

Dienekes
06-26-19, 13:41

The one-liners made the shows. Apparently there is a new season up and running, but diversity abounds.

Firefly
06-26-19, 13:48
The one-liners made the shows. Apparently there is a new season up and running, but diversity abounds.

yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh.....

I tried to like it but it is so nerfed and boring now

chuckman
06-26-19, 13:50

I suspect if it hasn't happened already, every copy and master of this movie will eventually be made to disappear.

EDITED TO ADD: I was corrected on another forum. Apparently you can find it online now. I remember searching for it several years ago and there was an outcry that the PC crowd had made it virtually disappear.

Same thing with half of the Bugs Bunny cartoons....

flenna
06-26-19, 14:07
Same thing with half of the Bugs Bunny cartoons....

Same thing with Tom and Jerry. We have the CD collection and at the beginning of the shows there is a disclaimer on how wrong some of the things depicted in the cartoons are. We still laugh our heads off at the cartoons....

Business_Casual
06-26-19, 15:21
The country I grew up in.

PatrioticDisorder
06-26-19, 16:10

Hopefully Disney never makes Splash Mountain disappear, that would be a very sad day.

Freelance
06-26-19, 16:41
$0.39 per gallon gas
Telephones with cords you leased from Ma Bell
Cap guns
Keds sneakers
Hamburgers on fried bread
14 game football seasons
Hockey played by men without helmets
4 channels on TV
AM radio with Wolfman Jack
Rear wheel drive cars with column manual shift levers
Red and white Daredevil fishing lures

I second Cap Guns, I know it dates me as old as f@#$. But we had a blast as kids blowing off caps in our pistols until we were old enough to graduate to BB guns :) Now a days a kid will get suspended for wearing a cowboy shirt with pistols proudly displayed in their hands.

26 Inf
06-26-19, 16:43
MY first serious girlfriend - she passed from cancer at age 37.

Doc Safari
06-26-19, 16:45
MY first serious girlfriend - she passed from cancer at age 37.

That's rough. Was this years after you were no longer together?

I opened the obituaries the other day and saw a girl who rode the school bus with me when we were in elementary school and junior high. She had died of multiple myeloma. She was a year older than me.

jsbhike
06-26-19, 16:58
Snacks made with real sugar.

I look for Mexican Coca Cola & Fanta along with Mt. Dew and Ski in glass bottles for that reason.

Firefly
06-26-19, 17:07
i kinda miss them styrofoam mcdonalds burger things

jsbhike
06-26-19, 17:18

Got in on that.

What may be the ultimate version was when a couple of friends (8 to 10 years old at the time) visited their Grandpa who had just retired and was about to move from northern Indiana to southern Kentucky. Part of the move was a stack of 16' corrugated sheet metal panels which went in the back of a pick up which their Grandpa had them sit on to weigh it down so as not to lose any. They said between the weight of the metal squatting the truck down and the length overhanging the rear it was like looking down a ramp to the asphalt. :eek:

26 Inf
06-26-19, 17:19
That's rough. Was this years after you were no longer together?

She was a year older than me, we dated almost two years in high school, she moved to Colorado (I lived in Nebraska); I went to her wedding (in Colorado) and then we kind of lost touch. I heard she had passed from a high school friend.

I lost several high friends and acquaintances by apparent suicide the first couple years after we graduated, one drowned and one ran his HD into the back of a parked pickup and a high rate of speed after a fight with his girlfriend.

Kind of shakes you up at that age.

AKDoug
06-26-19, 20:20
Got in on that.

What may be the ultimate version was when a couple of friends (8 to 10 years old at the time) visited their Grandpa who had just retired and was about to move from northern Indiana to southern Kentucky. Part of the move was a stack of 16' corrugated sheet metal panels which went in the back of a pick up which their Grandpa had them sit on to weigh it down so as not to lose any. They said between the weight of the metal squatting the truck down and the length overhanging the rear it was like looking down a ramp to the asphalt. :eek:

My dad used to think it was perfectly acceptable to put all the adults in the front of our '78 Ford Supercab and 4 kids in the bed, under an uninsulated aluminum canopy, at -10F, for 200 miles, with nothing but a pile of packing blankets to keep us warm.

flenna
06-26-19, 21:17
My dad used to think it was perfectly acceptable to put all the adults in the front of our '78 Ford Supercab and 4 kids in the bed, under an uninsulated aluminum canopy, at -10F, for 200 miles, with nothing but a pile of packing blankets to keep us warm.

You know, if we think about some of the things we and our parents did it is a wonder we made it to adulthood. But we did, and I think we are better for it.

1_click_off
06-26-19, 22:20
Dragg’n Main on Friday and Saturday night looking for a race.

Diamondback
06-27-19, 02:05
The country I grew up in.

Truth, brother. Truth. :(

Honu
06-27-19, 06:20
Dragg’n Main on Friday and Saturday night looking for a race.

reminded me
70s and 80s was cruzin time used to love that so many cars so slow traffic everyone together etc.. good times

1_click_off
06-27-19, 07:57
Also drive in theaters. Just remembering how those old crappy aluminum speakers would hang on the window and turn the pot just right to not only get volume but also less static sound.

My dad and I were talking about drive in’s one day and he said the speakers were new when he went and just as bad.

My brother in law just tore down an old drive in and had a pile of those things. I told him he should clean house on eBay with them, he sold them for scrap instead....

jsbhike
06-27-19, 09:09
Also drive in theaters. Just remembering how those old crappy aluminum speakers would hang on the window and turn the pot just right to not only get volume but also less static sound.

My dad and I were talking about drive in’s one day and he said the speakers were new when he went and just as bad.

My brother in law just tore down an old drive in and had a pile of those things. I told him he should clean house on eBay with them, he sold them for scrap instead....

Not all gone. I think there are at least 3 in Kentucky with one 30 to 45 minutes from Knob Creek. Think they have all ditched the box speaker for transmitting on a weak FM frequency though.

http://www.skylinedrivein.com/

chuckman
06-27-19, 10:27
Doritos and 1/2 gallon ice cream without nutritional information on them, 1981 Toyota 4x4 and girls that would do anything for concert tickets and a ride in the dunes.

Yes, "full size" ice cream, and "full size" everything. Volumes have been shrinking while prices keep going up....

Digital_Damage
06-27-19, 12:53
Lawns... to tell people to get off of... Amiright?

sva01
06-27-19, 16:08
Floppy discs

Averageman
06-27-19, 18:30
We lived in a totally different world.
Several of my Teachers were WWII veterans, one of my favorite Teachers and the coach of our rifle club (Yes we shot guns at school) was a 17 year old Marine on Iwo Jima.
Cars didn't have seat belts, you could drive and drink a beer at the same time and it was perfectly legal as long as you weren't drunk.
You would see homes with Service Flags proudly displayed in their front windows.
Women wore dresses a lot, they dressed a lot classier. Nobody's Mom would go to the grocery store in their jammies with messed up hair.
Highly dangerous fun. Riding my bike 15 miles round trip to go swimming. Jarts, bows and arrows, fishing by myself at age ten. BB gun wars. jumping up and down in the back seat while my Mom drove a 52 Ford Coupe like the Devil was behind her.

Things I really miss,
The smell of a cap gun after about three rolls of caps had been fired.
Popcorn out of a brown paper bag at the drive in. My brother and I would share a bottle of Coke and he always left floaters.
Climbing our Apple Tree and sitting on the thinnest branch that would hold me and eating green apples.
Opening a can beer for my Dad with a bottle opener. Pointy side down, hold the can tight and lever it up.
The smell of tar on the road on a hot day.

murphy j
06-27-19, 20:27
You know, if we think about some of the things we and our parents did it is a wonder we made it to adulthood. But we did, and I think we are better for it.

This. Absolutely. My Dad is a Depression era Oklahoma farm boy and was quite demanding. His discipline has stood me well in most ways throughout my life, especially my military career.

lowprone
06-27-19, 20:58
My Country !

SteyrAUG
06-28-19, 01:49
We lived in a totally different world.
Several of my Teachers were WWII veterans, one of my favorite Teachers and the coach of our rifle club (Yes we shot guns at school) was a 17 year old Marine on Iwo Jima.
Cars didn't have seat belts, you could drive and drink a beer at the same time and it was perfectly legal as long as you weren't drunk.
You would see homes with Service Flags proudly displayed in their front windows.
Women wore dresses a lot, they dressed a lot classier. Nobody's Mom would go to the grocery store in their jammies with messed up hair.
Highly dangerous fun. Riding my bike 15 miles round trip to go swimming. Jarts, bows and arrows, fishing by myself at age ten. BB gun wars. jumping up and down in the back seat while my Mom drove a 52 Ford Coupe like the Devil was behind her.

Things I really miss,
The smell of a cap gun after about three rolls of caps had been fired.
Popcorn out of a brown paper bag at the drive in. My brother and I would share a bottle of Coke and he always left floaters.
Climbing our Apple Tree and sitting on the thinnest branch that would hold me and eating green apples.
Opening a can beer for my Dad with a bottle opener. Pointy side down, hold the can tight and lever it up.
The smell of tar on the road on a hot day.

You touched one, 1970s/80s era movie theater BUTTERED popcorn before they tried to make it healthy. There has never been a microwave popcorn that has ever come close to whatever artery clogging goodness they fed us back in the day.

And yeah, cap guns. Remember when you figured out you could smack a whole roll with a hammer? There were also these awesome cap bombs where you put caps in them, threw them in the air and when they landed they detonated a cap. We used to pack about a third of a roll of caps into them for better effect on target.

mark5pt56
06-28-19, 07:00
Funny! I remember we used to build model battleships, pack them with paper and firecrackers, light them and shove them into the pond. Every so often we would also shoot at them with .22's. Of course this was after a sat afternoon of war movies.

1_click_off
06-28-19, 07:15
They are still around, but not going to be the top of any kid’s Christmas list this year....,

AFX slot cars, or for the kids like me with little coin, Tyco slot cars.

Adrenaline_6
06-28-19, 07:38

I think it made us better, more capable people.

My grandfather had 40 acres in Kauai. At the time, I was 9, brother 6, and cousin 5. We would turn over his 10' Sears Roebuck boat, drag it into the river. Carry a 7.5HP outboard from a storage area and a 5 gallon gas can with a hose and qd fitting on it a 1/10 of mile to the boat. Clamp the outboard on the back, attach the gas can, prime it (all taught to me by my grandfather of course), put on the choke. It took me standing on the rear seat of the boat with one leg on the outboard motor so I could get enough leverage to start the thing, but it would get started, no problem.

We would take it down the river, park it at the river mouth (before it went into the ocean), swim, get back in, go up the river, swim. Totally unsupervised. You will never see that nowadays.

One time, I must not have clamped the outboard tight enough. Being a daredevil type, I would head for the bank at top speed and cut it at the last minute, just missing the bank doing a 180 and then hit my own wake, which would jump the boat a bunch of times. Fun stuff for a 9, 6, and 5 year old....until the outboard motor flew off the back...lol. Lucky the gas hose was still attached that I could grab onto. It took all 3 of us to get it back in.

We rowed it back, I cleaned up the outboard as best I could wiping it down with motor oil (water was brackish so my grandfather taught me that too). Called my grandfather over and played dumb on why it wouldn't start. He checked it out, finally pulled the spark plug and wondered why the plug was wet. Dried it off, got it started and off we went again. I didn't tell him about it until I was in my 30's....lmao.

Good times.

1_click_off
06-28-19, 07:50
We rowed it back, I cleaned up the outboard as best I could wiping it down with motor oil (water was brackish so my grandfather taught me that too).

Off topic, but man CRC marine silicone spray is awesome for this now days!

SomeOtherGuy
06-28-19, 08:09
Living in a constitutional republic. (I was born after 1859, so it's debatable if this is true.)

Relative peace and sanity from the lack of internet-connected computers EVERYWHERE.

Being out of telephone contact for hours or days without even thinking about it.

So much as lip service to the idea that people of different colors are equal and should be treated equally.

nightchief
06-28-19, 09:37
Walkman's
Lawn Darts
Kids not obsessed with Facebook/Instagram, etc

And this one ma be hard for some to understand, but I work in a very old legacy industry: The Railroad.
I miss the Railroad as it was (historic, tough, but cared for its people, and romantic); Not as it is (cold, ruled by inexperience with no sense of history, and completely uncaring of its people who sacrifice a lot to keep it going)

I'm obviously getting old and will start telling young punks to get off my lawn soon...

...and I loved Airwolf when I was 12! plays on El Rey occasionally and I watch it...and its really not that good a show!

Slater
06-28-19, 09:38
Riding bicycles without helmets? Hell, when I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's we never even heard of such a thing (if they were even available back then).

donlapalma
06-28-19, 09:50
My virginity.

Adrenaline_6
06-28-19, 14:17
My virginity.

It's not something you really want that back though.

Firefly
06-29-19, 05:44
It's not something you really want that back though.

Actually it is. I will never ever ever know the joy of punching the V card on my wedding night with a girl I will grow old and die with. As a middle aged man I wish I could know that joy.

I....actually regret all the tang I got. It may not be like player level but every time I think about it, it simply wasn’t worth that skeevy feeling you get when it all goes tits up over some cosmically minor upset that could have been resolved if people just took a minute and metered their emotions.

I know M4C has like a LOT of virgins. Perhaps not arfcom level but I sincerely urge you wait until marriage.

SteyrAUG
06-29-19, 16:32
Actually it is. I will never ever ever know the joy of punching the V card on my wedding night with a girl I will grow old and die with. As a middle aged man I wish I could know that joy.

I....actually regret all the tang I got. It may not be like player level but every time I think about it, it simply wasn’t worth that skeevy feeling you get when it all goes tits up over some cosmically minor upset that could have been resolved if people just took a minute and metered their emotions.

I know M4C has like a LOT of virgins. Perhaps not arfcom level but I sincerely urge you wait until marriage.

I think marriage is about finding the right one that you can live with for the rest of your life and a big part of that is sexual compatibility. I don't regret most of my earlier gfs, I pretty much only regret the ones I could have known better, I'd have rather spent quality time with them than doing some of the goofball / dumbass shit I actually spent my time doing.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent more time with the girls I knew and stopped hanging around half the guys I knew.

Adrenaline_6
06-29-19, 18:59

I get what you are saying, but in reality, at the time, those hormones raging and the crazy you would do to get them in check is not what I consider to be the fun part of that time in life.

Coal Dragger
06-29-19, 20:06
Walkman's
Lawn Darts
Kids not obsessed with Facebook/Instagram, etc

And this one ma be hard for some to understand, but I work in a very old legacy industry: The Railroad.
I miss the Railroad as it was (historic, tough, but cared for its people, and romantic); Not as it is (cold, ruled by inexperience with no sense of history, and completely uncaring of its people who sacrifice a lot to keep it going)

I'm obviously getting old and will start telling young punks to get off my lawn soon...

...and I loved Airwolf when I was 12! plays on El Rey occasionally and I watch it...and its really not that good a show!

I did love Lawn Darts, came across a set a year or so ago, but they weren’t for sale.

I also sympathize with you on the current state of our employer and industry, it has turned into a total shit show in the past 10 years.

JoshNC
06-30-19, 10:47

Forget cars. How about the number of people who are completely ignorant of social nuances and play music or videos in public on their phone without headphones. I was at work in a hospital setting and a repair guy came into a common area watching a video for all to hear. I politely told him it was inappropriate for the work environment to play his video for all to hear. He was a bit off guard, apologized, then left. What the actual F?

CWM11B
06-30-19, 12:03
The original recipe for the Krispy Kreme doughnuts creme filling. Thanks food nazis

SteyrAUG
06-30-19, 15:26
Forget cars. How about the number of people who are completely ignorant of social nuances and play music or videos in public on their phone without headphones. I was at work in a hospital setting and a repair guy came into a common area watching a video for all to hear. I politely told him it was inappropriate for the work environment to play his video for all to hear. He was a bit off guard, apologized, then left. What the actual F?

That one drives me nuts.

26 Inf
06-30-19, 20:04
I also sympathize with you on the current state of our employer and industry, it has turned into a total shit show in the past 10 years.

A lot of industries/jobs are like that, and I'd say it has been going on for more than a decade in most of them.

Their is currently a real enmity between worker and employer in most industries. Many blame the Unions, and I'm sure that is true to some extent, but I feel the biggest culprit is the stock market, particularly the mutual funds and their progeny.

Individual shareholders no longer influence business decisions, instead the large blocks of shares voted by proxy run the show. This, in turn has removed much of the personal accountabilty from board decisions, it isn't their money. CEO's and management know their jobs are dependent of short term returns, not the long term survival of the company.

What better way to ensure dividends then keep one of the larger, if not the largest, cost of doing business, wages and benefits, low?

It is my belief that most of the businesses that enjoy a fruitful and beneficial employer-employee relationship are not publicly traded.

Business_Casual
07-01-19, 05:27
Do people no longer cover their mouths when they yawn?

flenna
07-01-19, 05:51

Nope. And no one says excuse me, thank you or good morning either.

Doc Safari
07-01-19, 09:02
Their is currently a real enmity between worker and employer in most industries.

The last guy I worked for had an attitude that anyone was expendable on a moment's notice whether you had worked for him for fifteen minutes or fifteen years. Termination was literally his only management skill. Add to that the fact that in most of the jobs I've held training lasted about one day then you were on your own--sink or swim. I watched many a promising employee shown the door when a little extra training would have turned that person into a great employee. But that's what you get in a tight job market: employers DGAF about actually building a solid team. They're more interested in getting it off their desk and if they get rid of one person they think there are ten others ready to go to work for more hours and less money.

sundance435
07-01-19, 10:26
A lot of industries/jobs are like that, and I'd say it has been going on for more than a decade in most of them.

Their is currently a real enmity between worker and employer in most industries. Many blame the Unions, and I'm sure that is true to some extent, but I feel the biggest culprit is the stock market, particularly the mutual funds and their progeny.

Individual shareholders no longer influence business decisions, instead the large blocks of shares voted by proxy run the show. This, in turn has removed much of the personal accountabilty from board decisions, it isn't their money. CEO's and management know their jobs are dependent of short term returns, not the long term survival of the company.

What better way to ensure dividends then keep one of the larger, if not the largest, cost of doing business, wages and benefits, low?

It is my belief that most of the businesses that enjoy a fruitful and beneficial employer-employee relationship are not publicly traded.

Bingo on that last statement. I have friends and family that work for large private companies and they seem genuinely happy. It's just a different/better corporate culture. Some day soon the drive for short-term profits and other tactics, usually at the expense of the employees, to drive dividends is going to catch up with the publicly traded behemoths and the rest of us that aren't investing wisely.

I don't think unions are the main culprit at all, either, though that varies to some degree depending on the business sector. I will say that in my experience, unions today are a hollow shell of what they used to be in terms of actually being agents for the wellbeing of workers. The only people that really benefit from unions are the employees of the unions themselves.

SteyrAUG
07-01-19, 14:36

Not always, of course that is because I don't believe it's the chance for a small demon or devil to run inside my body.

TMS951
07-01-19, 15:01
Calling the movie theatre and listening to the recording to see what was playing.

07-01-19, 15:18
Calling the movie theatre and listening to the recording to see what was playing.

Holy Sh*t! That takes me WAAAAY back.

Bogart
07-01-19, 16:15
The Great Movie Ride at the former Disney/MGM Studios, now the Disney Hollywood Studios (among many other rides/attractions from 80s/90s Disney World.)

As others have said, cap guns.

When pretty much everyone universally agreed that what you were born with between your legs determined your gender. And there were only two.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-01-19, 16:21
The original recipe for the Krispy Kreme doughnuts creme filling. Thanks food nazis

The Dunkin Donuts glazed twists. Not the light and fluffy glazed twist; the heavy, doughy with a hint of maple twists. Don't know why they don't make them any more. Is Rhode Island like the mecca for donuts? I know New England is the land of Dunkin Donuts either way you get off the highway, but the only place I've seen possible pics of the glazed twists are from Mom and Pop places in RI.

Doc Safari
07-01-19, 16:48
I miss Danish Go-Rounds from the 1970's. It was an attempt to make frosted Pop-Tarts more in the spiral shape of a cinnamon roll, but you heated them in the toaster just like Pop Tarts. I don't think they lasted more than a year or so.

https://www.metv.com/lists/15-bygone-breakfast-items-you-will-never-have-again

MistWolf
07-02-19, 10:02
I miss surplus firearms, surplus ammo and surplus gear sold for surplus prices. Us kids could buy a web belt complete with pouches, canteen and bayonet with sheath for five or ten bucks and hunt rabbits like we were Audey Murphy looking for Nazis.

I miss the Great Western Gun and Knife Show that was held at the Pomona Fairgrounds twice a year and all the terrific deals, and personalities. Every year was that WWII Japanese fighter pilot selling his autograph, claiming he had shot down Pappy Boyington.

I miss the the airshows at Point Magu NAS back in the day when the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds drove Phantoms, the Herkybird of the Blue Knights took off with JATO bottles roaring amid smoke and flames and a Skyhawk would drop live bombs. A lone Skyhawk would come in low, then shoot straight up in the sky and release its payload in a simulated nuclear bomb attack. The bomb would continue in an upward as the small jet fighter leveled out and raced for its life. The airshow would continue for many minutes, when suddenly there was a large explosion out to sea. It took the bomb that long to fall back to earth. I remember the building we always parked by. The giant letters painted across the large hangar doors left a lasting impression on me as a young boy- "PROPS KILL". To this day, I give spinning props a wide berth anytime I'm around running aircraft.

jsbhike
07-02-19, 12:22
. The giant letters painted across the large hangar doors left a lasting impression on me as a young boy- "PROPS KILL". To this day, I give spinning props a wide berth anytime I'm around running aircraft.

My college safety course instructor in the 90's was a full time consultant and had recently reviewed a business that had a sign up stating, "Work safe, it's hell being a cripple!!"

SteyrAUG
07-02-19, 15:07
I miss surplus firearms, surplus ammo and surplus gear sold for surplus prices. Us kids could buy a web belt complete with pouches, canteen and bayonet with sheath for five or ten bucks and hunt rabbits like we were Audey Murphy looking for Nazis.

No kidding. Before I got into high school I had an impressive collection of stuff from WWII.

Safetyhit
07-02-19, 15:27
No kidding. Before I got into high school I had an impressive collection of stuff from WWII.

I had to see this after popping in for two minutes. Still have those you know what now stored away somewhere since we moved.

OldState
07-02-19, 18:02
The Woolworth at the mall near me often had a small carrousel with M1 Carbines slathered in cosmoline when I was a kid in the 80’s.

At around 14 years old my friends and I walked into a gun store and bought 50’ of green cherry bomb fuse saying it was for our model rockets. Then we bought a pound of Pyrex. Used both to make little bombs with old CO2 canisters from our BB guns. We used a hand drill to bore a hole in trees then stuffed them in there to blow up the tree. Can’t do that anymore :sarcastic:

Now kids want to stay inside all day to play Fortnight.....

3 AE
07-03-19, 00:39
1) As mentioned, Drive-ins. Yeah there's a few left, but back in the day they were all over the place. It seemed like every month during the summer, someone's dad and maybe the mom would herd some of us neighborhood kids, about eight or nine of us, and cram us into a station wagon or in the trunk of a coup d' ville and go see at least a double feature for $5.00 a car load. We"d even bring are own food like fried bologna, mustard and pickle sandwiches wrapped in wax paper, hot dogs in a bun wrapped in foil, chips, and Old Dutch Mill sodas. Then one year the drive-in had Tombstone Pizzas. Boy we were shittin in tall cotton, what a blast! As we got older, it was a right of passage to go to the drive-in on double dates. I won't go into the details other than to say, Hickeys! Oh, almost forgot. I don't think there was a time that someone didn't drive off with those old speakers hanging off their window, ripping the speaker cords out of the posts!

2) Demolition Derby! Now this was a Father & Son moment show special! The roar of V-8s, squeal of the brakes, and the sound of crunching steel and smoke billowing out of dying engines. The winner getting a lip lock from the Derby Queen. Damn, it brings tear to my eyes just thinking of those days. Some of my buddies wanted to be policemen, some wanted to be firemen, me, I wanted to be a Demolition Derby driver and get that lip lock from the hot blond Derby Queen!

3) Roller Derby. There's a few local circuits around, but not like the old days where a national league was in place. Hell, even Raquel Welch did a movie about roller derby. The men were goons and the women were hot. Watching bodies getting slammed into and over the rails was something to behold. Yeah, a lot of the fights were staged but what the hell, it was cheap entertainment. Getting your picture taken with your favorite skaters with a Polaroid camera was the real deal braggin' rights!

4) Pro Athletes that played almost their entire careers with the same team. Before free agency, you could count on the same players being around from the time you were old enough to play the game to the time you graduated from high school. Most of them even had jobs in the off season to compliment their income from their sport. They were part of the neighborhood, and the city. You damn near cried when they retired or got traded.

Excuse me while I go off and have a good cry. :cray:

Diamondback
07-03-19, 00:58
Not just theaters, drive-in restaurants too other than that poser Sonic. Anybody else remember when you could find an A&W that wasn't either in a Retail Hell Dimension (aka "mall") or co-located with KC and still brought root-beer floats out to your car in glass mugs that had been chilled in the freezer all day?

Thank God for Triple D on Food Network--Guy Fieri may be loud and obnoxious, but at least the show is good for helping find the last remnants of this particular dying slice of Americana.

Diamondback
07-03-19, 01:01
The Woolworth at the mall near me often had a small carrousel with M1 Carbines slathered in cosmoline when I was a kid in the 80’s.

At around 14 years old my friends and I walked into a gun store and bought 50’ of green cherry bomb fuse saying it was for our model rockets. Then we bought a pound of Pyrex. Used both to make little bombs with old CO2 canisters from our BB guns. We used a hand drill to bore a hole in trees then stuffed them in there to blow up the tree. Can’t do that anymore :sarcastic:

Now kids want to stay inside all day to play Fortnight.....

Damn, man, why couldn't that have been a Woolworth near Seattle around that same time? :(

Outlander Systems
07-08-19, 19:30
Taco Bell Chili Cheese Burritos

jpmuscle
07-08-19, 19:41

I’ll raise you McDonald’s chicken fajitas with hot picante sauce, minimum of two sauce packets per fajita.

1_click_off
07-08-19, 20:13

Taco John’s Super Burrito with super hot sauce and a side of potatoe ole’s. I know it is not gone gone, but the closest Taco John’s is 600 miles from me.

And Crunch Tators

Diamondback
07-08-19, 20:34
I’ll raise you McDonald’s chicken fajitas with hot picante sauce, minimum of two sauce packets per fajita.

Oh, that just sounds like a whole big bucket o' butthurt... seriously, sounds like a recipe for pain both comin' AND goin'.

Not coming back: I wish a sandwich chain called Steak Escape hadn't abandoned the West Coast market, and still offered their "Hambrosia"--think a cheesesteak but made with ham and pineapple instead of beef and peppers. Even better with a drizzle of teriyaki sauce... like a luau on bread.

MountainRaven
07-08-19, 21:26
55 mph speed limits on every Interstate in the Union.

And for that matter, the, "safe and prudent," speed limit on Interstates in Montana.

SteyrAUG
07-08-19, 22:45
Taco John’s Super Burrito with super hot sauce and a side of potatoe ole’s. I know it is not gone gone, but the closest Taco John’s is 600 miles from me.

And Crunch Tators

Taco Johns french fries, the greatest fries in the history of fast food. Even better than McDonalds fries from the golden age when they were crisp wonderful things fried in what seemed like lard. I also miss Taco Johns enchilada's, they were glorious.

Although even that might not measure up to a Taco Viva wet burrito.

SteyrAUG
07-08-19, 22:46

And for that matter, the, "safe and prudent," speed limit on Interstates in Montana.

If people would put their goddam phone down, most of us can drive responsibly at 75. 55mph was about gas shortages, not safety.

MountainRaven
07-08-19, 23:54
If people would put their goddam phone down, most of us can drive responsibly at 75. 55mph was about gas shortages, not safety.

Oh, I know.

But the there-is-no-speed-limit that followed it wasn't.

Straight Shooter
07-09-19, 05:39

You can drive 55 all day, no one is stopping you. Just get in the right lane.
That was a libtard idea, Ive never done, didnt do it, & wont do it.
And the 'gas shortages" were another libtard lie.

flenna
07-09-19, 06:02
Eating a PB&J at school. Somehow there were no nut allergies back then and you could take peanut butter to school without fear of expulsion and/or arrest.

AndyLate
07-09-19, 06:08

Speedometers that went all the way to 85 miles per hour.

Cars/trucks built without computer limited top speeds.

Andy

Firefly
07-09-19, 07:41
90s hip hop before every black dude trying to rap could only cuss or talk about guns they don't know how to shoot or homosexual gang activity (seriously, every gang member has engaged in homosexual activity). Seriously it was a fun time. It was all about parties, fighting Mike Tyson, how parents just don't understand, or settling your differences with breakdance competitions.

As a whole the modern black guy is a grave disappointment.

I literally brohugged a brother rocking jheri curls last week just because of nostalgia and it wasnt near as awkward as you would think.

ETA To this day, I still wear some P R E T T Y faded cook white choco chip camo to pay homage to hip hop from 1988-1992. NWA was to hip hop as Nelson was to hair metal.

There I said it. Come get me, M4C.

OH58D
07-09-19, 08:15
High Beam headlight driver side floor buttons/switch. How many of you remember those?

Doc Safari
07-09-19, 08:41
Rock music when it changed from dance music to art in the 1960's.

chadbag
07-09-19, 09:20
High Beam headlight driver side floor buttons/switch. How many of you remember those?

I remember those though, probably through actual use/muscle memory, I think I like the "pull the stalk" for that. What I miss is that you pull to both go high and back low. A lot of cars you flick forward and backward now.

sgtrock82
07-09-19, 11:12
High Beam headlight driver side floor buttons/switch. How many of you remember those?At 41, im not all that old but my first car (c.1995) was a '71 chevelle and every so often my foot still taps the floor looking for those high beams. Best set up ever.

ramairthree
07-09-19, 11:24

I have a 30 ft attached garage and a detached 52x60 with lift.
I have a handful of cars with the floor dimmer.

26 Inf
07-09-19, 14:22
Eating a PB&J at school. Somehow there were no nut allergies back then and you could take peanut butter to school without fear of expulsion and/or arrest.

I went to grade school in a small town in western Kansas. EVERY Friday we either had PB&J's, Fish Sticks, or Macaroni and Cheese because of the Catholic kids - this was before Vatican II.

My, how things have changed.

NYH1
07-09-19, 14:50
Yep, my '78 Camaro has one.

NYH1.

NYH1
07-09-19, 15:01
I went to grade school in a small town in western Kansas. EVERY Friday we either had PB&J's, Fish Sticks, or Macaroni and Cheese because of the Catholic kids - this was before Vatican II.

My, how things have changed.
I went to a fairly large high school in the early '90's that had about 1,500 students. I don't remember anyone having peanut issues. My son's high school of about 1,000 students has a "no peanut table"....he says it's full!

NYH1.

SteyrAUG
07-09-19, 15:32
90s hip hop before every black dude trying to rap could only cuss or talk about guns they don't know how to shoot or homosexual gang activity (seriously, every gang member has engaged in homosexual activity). Seriously it was a fun time. It was all about parties, fighting Mike Tyson, how parents just don't understand, or settling your differences with breakdance competitions.

As a whole the modern black guy is a grave disappointment.

I literally brohugged a brother rocking jheri curls last week just because of nostalgia and it wasnt near as awkward as you would think.

ETA To this day, I still wear some P R E T T Y faded cook white choco chip camo to pay homage to hip hop from 1988-1992. NWA was to hip hop as Nelson was to hair metal.

There I said it. Come get me, M4C.

As much as it was hilarious to see my LEO friends playing F the Police, I hear ya. I was there mostly in the early stages from 1981 forward and by the mid 90s I was mostly done. with a few noted exceptions you just weren't gonna hear anything like "Five Minutes of Funk", "Friend or Foe" or "A Touch of Jazz" from anyone. I remember when Radio from LL dropped in late 85 and it was an amazing year. It was the only thing that stopped us from playing the King of Rock album over and over.

Hammer_Man
07-09-19, 15:49
Americanism, or American pride. 99 Cent gasoline, Lawn Darts, Slip N Slide, cheap toy guns that actually looked like real guns, American manufacturing, TAB, President Ronald Reagan, hair metal, T-tops, velour interiors, kids who enjoyed playing OUTSIDE, staying up all night with your brother playing Super Mario Brothers, Velcro sneakers with zipper pockets on the side, a young Stephanie Seymour, Montgomery Ward, Go Bots.

Slater
07-09-19, 17:48
Buying an AR-15 at Woolworth's or even at sporting good stores in the local mall.

flenna
07-09-19, 17:54
Buying an AR-15 at Woolworth's or even at sporting good stores in the local mall.

Sears used to have the best sporting goods department around. Guns, tents, Coleman lanterns and stoves, coolers, clothing, etc....

SteyrAUG
07-09-19, 19:05
You can drive 55 all day, no one is stopping you. Just get in the right lane.
That was a libtard idea, Ive never done, didnt do it, & wont do it.
And the 'gas shortages" were another libtard lie.

OPEC related gas hikes were real enough though.

Diamondback
07-09-19, 19:11
OPEC related gas hikes were real enough though.

Yup, all brought to us by the same retarded-ass peanut-farmer "nuclear engineer" who insisted that we recycle everything BUT nuclear fuel. #F-ckCarterAndAllWhoSupportHim

Hammer_Man
07-09-19, 20:30
Yup, all brought to us by the same retarded-ass peanut-farmer "nuclear engineer" who insisted that we recycle everything BUT nuclear fuel. #F-ckCarterAndAllWhoSupportHim

https://youtu.be/czfKPaypNsU

tb-av
07-09-19, 22:22
25cent gas was nice when you were 16 trying to gas up a car and a boat.

You could actually have some fun for $5

Of course I'm old enough to know the answer to that question 'will she need me or feed me' ... I knew the answer was going to be "no".

Averageman
07-10-19, 00:23
The price of gas and Jimmy Carter wanting everyone to drive 55 mph on the Dan Ryan express way caused my father to sell his cool Sebring satellite and buy an F'ing AMC Gremlin.
Jimmy, you peanut farming bastard you caused me to lose out of a Sebring Satellite for my first car.
I wished that brain cancer on you because of it.

Adrenaline_6
07-10-19, 08:00
The price of gas and Jimmy Carter wanting everyone to drive 55 mph on the Dan Ryan express way caused my father to sell his cool Sebring satellite and buy an F'ing AMC Gremlin.
Jimmy, you peanut farming bastard you caused me to lose out of a Sebring Satellite for my first car.
I wished that brain cancer on you because of it.

My buddy had a Satellite growing up. Not the cooler looking 2 door '71-'72, more the 4 door '73-'74 boat, but a Satellite nonetheless. Fun times.

MistWolf
07-20-19, 14:11
Cruisin' Van Nuys Blvd
https://rense.com/general96/VN%20Blvd.-039-15.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/78/bd/6e78bd4e3feb5d44f2c33440c39a736c.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/dc71e759f62c48a1dfcad0c93754c77b/tumblr_pfzxetMIbm1skduic_500.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4f/c2/b8/4fc2b85da375a6efd812438f11216e15--sherman-oaks-the-s.jpg

https://dudo6el28sqqp.cloudfront.net/gothamistgallery/2016/11/17/a9f4c6c8cla1970s-19-jpg-square.jpeg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KHq_P99HhAE/WsfWGbagA3I/AAAAAAAFFGs/qNBmpvThH_0mJ_I_KTGjm21NmRnYJO8nwCLcBGAs/s1600/rgwerw.JPG

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4417/37066544861_6fdcea5ca3_b.jpg

https://rense.com/general96/VN%20Blvd.-079-27A.jpg

SteyrAUG
07-20-19, 18:36
Cruisin' Van Nuys Blvd
https://rense.com/general96/VN%20Blvd.-039-15.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/78/bd/6e78bd4e3feb5d44f2c33440c39a736c.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/dc71e759f62c48a1dfcad0c93754c77b/tumblr_pfzxetMIbm1skduic_500.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4f/c2/b8/4fc2b85da375a6efd812438f11216e15--sherman-oaks-the-s.jpg

https://dudo6el28sqqp.cloudfront.net/gothamistgallery/2016/11/17/a9f4c6c8cla1970s-19-jpg-square.jpeg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KHq_P99HhAE/WsfWGbagA3I/AAAAAAAFFGs/qNBmpvThH_0mJ_I_KTGjm21NmRnYJO8nwCLcBGAs/s1600/rgwerw.JPG

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4417/37066544861_6fdcea5ca3_b.jpg

https://rense.com/general96/VN%20Blvd.-079-27A.jpg

That's almost American Graffiti epic.

SomeOtherGuy
07-20-19, 21:38
What year were those photos of Cruisin' Van Nuys Blvd taken - like 1979 or so? Guessing from the car styles and gas prices.

I get sick to my stomach thinking of what fabulous wealth and treasure the US had 40-60 years ago and how it's been flushed down the toilet.

MistWolf
07-21-19, 20:39
What year were those photos of Cruisin' Van Nuys Blvd taken - like 1979 or so? Guessing from the car styles and gas prices.
I searched for images taken in the 70s, which is when I was in high school.

Better. Van Nuys Blvd Cruise Night really happened
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/80/34/98/80349860981e6cef339ae0a1aa406b3b.jpg

https://external-preview.redd.it/Jg-XXlF7cC0Vqc4ewxFgHrx3BpAKREJntphEZF7MQRI.png?bdfc1723

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9f/87/cf/9f87cf2f48ed39138cfa0841f13813d7.jpg

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170125094216-14-mccloskey-van-nuys-super-169.jpg

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/vn-blvd-040-0-richard-mccloskey.jpg

...and there were donuts!
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/van-nuys-boulevard-046-25a-june-ellens-donuts-richard-mccloskey.jpg

"That guy is speeding!"
"We'll take a short cut through June Ellen's!"
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bc/a8/0d/bca80d531eac4490e218594b28267250.jpg

Slater
07-21-19, 20:56
I used to enjoy riding my old banana-seat bicycle when I was a youngster.

1_click_off
07-21-19, 21:40
I used to enjoy riding my old banana-seat bicycle when I was a youngster.

I got a turquoise one with a solid rubber front tire at a garage sale for $10. I hated that thing. My neighbors had a long concrete driveway. If you got the front tire in an expansion joint it was 50/50 if you were turning out of it or wiping out. That and the solid feel of the road cured me from ever wanting a Hardtail for sure.

Grand58742
07-21-19, 22:03

Kinda like every HMMWV ever built?

Business_Casual
07-22-19, 05:50
I get sick to my stomach thinking of what fabulous wealth and treasure the US had 40-60 years ago and how it's been flushed down the toilet.

I visited my hometown this weekend and we went to the local history museum. It is truly sad how our manufacturing base has been hollowed out and the loss of our inventive engineering skills. China won a war without firing a shot. We are suckers.

Firefly
07-22-19, 06:33
Piano Rock

SteyrAUG
07-22-19, 18:04
I visited my hometown this weekend and we went to the local history museum. It is truly sad how our manufacturing base has been hollowed out and the loss of our inventive engineering skills. China won a war without firing a shot. We are suckers.

Better add NAFTA to that equation. But yeah, we gutted our own manufacturing infrastructure to the point we produce almost nothing. That it is now cheaper to float steel from China than it is to simply make it in Pittsburgh is too offensive to contemplate. The Clinton lie that if we "send jobs to Mexico, illegals will stop coming here" has also been soundly disproven.

The_War_Wagon
07-22-19, 22:01

Reminds me of crusin' Main Street in Salisbury, NC in the early '80's - same scene. 4 lanes (2 north, 2 south), & about 30 blocks or so to cruise - and head-in parking. Hootin' & hollerin' at the girls, pull over when you see some buddies - talk gearhead amongst ourselves - maybe a little drag racin', when the cops weren't lookin'. ;)

Those were the days... things that AREN'T coming back from my youth: Mercury, Plymouth, & Pontiac. :(

SilverBullet432
07-22-19, 22:11
Heinz colored ketchup. Yep. Definitely not making a comeback.... lol

SteyrAUG
07-23-19, 00:14
Reminds me of crusin' Main Street in Salisbury, NC in the early '80's - same scene. 4 lanes (2 north, 2 south), & about 30 blocks or so to cruise - and head-in parking. Hootin' & hollerin' at the girls, pull over when you see some buddies - talk gearhead amongst ourselves - maybe a little drag racin', when the cops weren't lookin'. ;)

Those were the days... things that AREN'T coming back from my youth: Mercury, Plymouth, & Pontiac. :(

Same thing here in my Iowa town. At least three generations "scooped the loop" uptown every weekend night and it's where you found 65% of your friends. My grandfather did it, my father did it and I did it in the 80s.

Then after a significant influx of illegals in the 90s related to a local meat packing house there was suddenly actual serious crime from drugs, assault and major theft. Some local kid finally got stabbed by some messicant and a local small town tradition ended.

In 2001 I was stunned to see the uptown area completely devoid of any kids socializing and it was 100% "recent arrivals" coming in and out of the bars. My cop buddies told me nobody lets their kid go uptown at night anymore because it's too dangerous.

Thankfully it's improved dramatically in the last 15 years but still no kids go uptown on the weekends anymore, that's all done and over with. Main street businesses that had been there since the 40s and 50s were killed off during "the change" and it now almost all bars and package stores still.

A few restaurants thankfully survived and we even got some new ones and things are getting better, but it will never be what it was. I always took for granted that on the weekends I'd be able to pop into the Maid Rite for a sandwich and a malt and chuckle at all the high school kids showing off cars and trying to talk to girls, but that is all done and gone now.

It's astonishing how much damage can be done in a single decade by foreign invaders.

Diamondback
07-23-19, 01:29
Heinz colored ketchup. Yep. Definitely not making a comeback.... lol

Heinz products of ANY kind, at least from my table, and with the merger that sadly includes Kraft mac 'n' cheese. Not until the Gold Digging Bitch and her Gold Digging Bitch and their heirs no longer benefit from the inheritance.

CWM11B
07-23-19, 08:29

Did any of your crew ever come up to Stratford Road in WS back then? Seems like we had folks come in from about a 50 mile radius. Massive cruise fest, did a bit from the mid seventies until the early 80s. City shut it down in the early 90s. Cant believe how long ago it was. Good times...

The_War_Wagon
07-23-19, 09:32
Same thing here in my Iowa town. At least three generations "scooped the loop" uptown every weekend night and it's where you found 65% of your friends. My grandfather did it, my father did it and I did it in the 80s.

Then after a significant influx of illegals in the 90s related to a local meat packing house there was suddenly actual serious crime from drugs, assault and major theft. Some local kid finally got stabbed by some messicant and a local small town tradition ended.

Ditto on the generations - it started right after WWII.

And cruisin' Salisbury ended in '87, a few years after I graduated hi skrool for almost the same reason. The illegal foreign invaders hadn't taken over Rowan Co. yet (they have NOW), but some kid shotgunned another one to death one Friday night. By the next Saturday, cruisin' was outlawed - never to return. :(

Adrenaline_6
07-23-19, 10:07
Ditto on the generations - it started right after WWII.

And cruisin' Salisbury ended in '87, a few years after I graduated hi skrool for almost the same reason. The illegal foreign invaders hadn't taken over Rowan Co. yet (they have NOW), but some kid shotgunned another one to death one Friday night. By the next Saturday, cruisin' was outlawed - never to return. :(

Cruisin' was popular in Waikiki in the mid 80's and late 80's also. I remember knowing when the cops would have a shift change and would allow the narrow time frame window for a street race. The suicide lane was a rush.