PDA

View Full Version : Out of Stock: Everything

BlueForce
11-11-08, 20:05
You know, way BEFORE this last election I was having a hard time buying quality gun items -- or even non-gun items for that matter. Making a purchase came to require weeks of preparation: Looking for a supplier who sold what you were looking for, waiting for them to get the items off backorder, waiting for them to ship the items once they were in stock, waiting for them to get delivered, etc. Two months was not uncommon even then.

I remember the days when businesses kept INVENTORY and did SAME DAY shipping. Whatever happened to those days?

Well, now, for crying out loud, it's like post nuclear society! Like money doesn't even matter any more. You can have piles of it laying around looking for someone to give it to and still end up empty handed. All these super lean business methods have lead to pipelines that run dry when the wind blows. And now that we're in a hurricane, it seems hopeless. You wonder if you are ever going to see your next box of bullets.

It is frustrating and depressing that we have come to this in this country. Politics aside, one thing we always knew how to do was build and deliver the goods. Now you have to lurk around web forums hoping the manufacturer drops a hint on when they are going to have a few extra items in stock. I feel like a vagrant digging through trash cans looking for a meal. What would be great is if there was the capacity out there to FLOOD THE MARKET over the next two months. Instead there is barely a dribble.

dtheman
11-11-08, 20:15
Everyone has a limited amount of money to spend, the seemingly bottomless wallets will eventually bottom out and store stocks will return to normal levels and even possibly over stocking that will lead to reduced prices in over to clear excess inventory. If I understand the market correctly that is.

Goshen606
11-11-08, 20:26
It goes all the way up the chain. It's the manufacturers who dropped the ball. Large wholesale distributors such as RSR, Jerry's Sports Center, Sports South, etc. can't get the stuff. I can't believe these folks didn't see this coming. Bushmaster, Stag, S&W, DPMS, all of them. That's too bad. They could be crying all the way to the bank right now.

1stSSPZ
11-11-08, 20:26
Maybe in a way, we as 2nd Amendment enthusiasts are fortunate! What if no one gave a damn about any impending ban and nothing was selling? I for one am glad to see the enthusiasm, especially for the AR rifle family. I think things will settle down after a little while and if this time next year there are no new gun restrictions (hopefully) the market will be flooded with little used ARs at bargain prices!:D

BlueForce
11-11-08, 20:31
I started looking for a simple 590A1 mid-summer and had my dealer beating the pavement the whole time, but they NEVER managed to come up with one. While they were doing that I called about every other dealer in the state who might have one in stock and nothing. Now they are all telling me it is impossible. Seemed like it was already impossible before this.

RogerinTPA
11-11-08, 20:42
Life as we know it is over. This is the beginning of the end....:(

Medicine Calf
11-11-08, 21:09
I started looking for a simple 590A1 mid-summer and had my dealer beating the pavement the whole time, but they NEVER managed to come up with one. While they were doing that I called about every other dealer in the state who might have one in stock and nothing. Now they are all telling me it is impossible. Seemed like it was already impossible before this.

Now I want one just because I can't have it.

Norva
11-11-08, 21:24
4 months for a dpms 308 lower

BlueForce
11-11-08, 21:44
See, that's just not right. Mossberg shotguns and DPMS lowers should be like Big Macs and fries.

BlueForce
11-11-08, 21:48
And furthermore, Obama says these assault weapons are littering our streets? He's obviously never tried to buy a good mid-length upper.

Charles Daly
11-11-08, 22:10
Just over a year ago we at Charles Daly were contemplating our entry into the AR segment and decided to make it a "go" with the launch of our new division, Charles Daly Defense. I've lived through several previous bans and well remembered the run on the market in '93-'94. We sold more guns in 18 months than we did in the previous 5 years. The industry gave Clinton a mock "Salesman of the Year Award" at the SHOT Show in January of 2009. But then the bottom fell out of the market in early '95. It was like somone turned a water faucet off. The run was over, literally overnight.

I remember last November when I told my staff that come November of '08, I would rather have a warehouse full of EBR's then a warehouse full of hunting guns. For someone that had been through the '93-'94 run, it was an easy decision to make. We pushed ahead, started shipping in April and started filling the warehouse. However, we are a small company when compared to the really big boys, and we could only invest "so much" preparing for this past week. Then the forecast came true and over the course of a few days we sold every EBR in the building. If we had the resources of the big boys, I would have had 100 times the quantity available that we had.

As mentioned in our "Manufacturers" section here, we are still building AR's. But the way it looks to me now, we may never get to our pre-election inventory levels ever again. I fear that the next AWB will make the first one look tame by comparison. The left is much more clever than that. It won't be the banning of just bayonet lugs or suppressors this time. It will be much worse. And as the public becomes more aware of the looming crisis, they will continue to buy, right up to the banning moment. At least that is my take on the situation.

I can't speak for the big boys, but I imagine they all had substantial inventories before last week. It's just that the run was so much larger than what even our industry veterans expected, everybody got cleaned out. Every manufacturer, every wholesaler and every dealer. The cupboards are bare and the demand has barely been satisfied. If you think AR's were in tight supply before last week, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

BlueForce
11-11-08, 22:15
And as the public becomes more aware of the looming crisis, they will continue to buy, right up to the banning moment. At least that is my take on the situation.

That is my fear, that the bottom is now gone out of the bucket -- and it wasn't a very big bucket to begin with -- and it will never hold water again.

10MMGary
11-11-08, 22:16
Life as we know it is over. This is the beginning of the end....:(

Wow! I can't believe how easily some people lose hope throw in the towel give up concede defeat surrender, what have you. As much as I wanted President elect Obama to receive a political beat down. I feel this Obamanation might be exactly what this country needed to slap it out of complacency. Personally I plan to continue to fight for what I know is right.

chadbag
11-11-08, 22:19
I've stocked as much as my capital allows. Of course, I should have had a few more cases of PMAGs. The danger is, I stock stuff and no one buys it. I have several lines of stuff that I have stocked and I barely sell it and it sits here. So I have to be careful.

The big guys do the same thing.

heijutsu
11-12-08, 05:54
Yeah it appears the only place you can get anything is from GunBroker or eBay.

Submariner
11-12-08, 06:36
The danger is, I stock stuff and no one buys it. I have several lines of stuff that I have stocked and I barely sell it and it sits here.

What is sitting and when does it go on sale?:D

Knownot
11-12-08, 07:26
The inventory thing is a balancing act. If you keep high inventories you have to pass the associated costs along. Everybody wants it cheap and in stock. If you guess wrong (too much inventory) the dead stock ties up too much cash. If you guess wrong (not enough inventory) your customer buys from someone else.
I think everyone saw this coming but nobody new how huge the buying frenzy would be.

RogerinTPA
11-12-08, 08:06
No ones given up. Just stating an opinion. Hopefully, all the write in's to Obama's website from members on this and other forums, has forced him to rethink his anti-gun agenda. They took that part of the website down and made a statement reiterating his rhetoric about not denying hunters and people being allowed to have guns to defend themselves. It sounds like he's buttering our collective asses to me. But I'm well stocked. I've been planning for this for over the past year.;)

Wow! I can't believe how easily some people lose hope throw in the towel give up concede defeat surrender, what have you. As much as I wanted President elect Obama to receive a political beat down. I feel this Obamanation might be exactly what this country needed to slap it out of complacency. Personally I plan to continue to fight for what I know is right.

BlueForce
11-12-08, 08:18
It sounds like he's buttering our collective asses to me.

I expect the smiles and the buttering to continue until he has his ambush fully set into position. Then we get hit with the claymores.

Submariner
11-12-08, 10:54
Pretty soon guys will run out of money for gun stuff. Christmas is coming.

All the back orders will be filled and deals will have so much overstock there will be sales just to clear the inventory.

Right!:rolleyes:

BlueForce
11-12-08, 11:13
Pretty soon guys will run out of money for gun stuff. Christmas is coming.

All the back orders will be filled and deals will have so much overstock there will be sales just to clear the inventory.

Right!:rolleyes:

And Santa will bring them all down our chimneys.

John_Wayne777
11-12-08, 11:20
Well I'm hoping that Grant still has a couple of stripped lowers and a 6920 in stock for me.....

Mine isn't so much "panic" buying as it is finally getting the money together to buy some stuff I've been wanting for a while.

Dave L.
11-12-08, 11:31
I have everything I could need minus a large ammo stock pile. I am going to just look for investment buying (or so I'm telling myself).
Maybe 2 more 6920's just because, a 50 cal of some sort (probably EDM), maybe a PS90, SCAR if possible.

BlueForce
11-12-08, 12:20
I have everything I could need minus a large ammo stock pile.

My gut keeps telling me that Bama's strategy is going to be to make a precision strike on ammo. See no one has really tried that angle before in a big way. And he could side step the whole 2A issue by letting us all have our guns, but have no way to feed them. And plenty of room for deceptive technical talk and restrictions that the masses would never understand. (i.e. cop killer, armor piercing, sniper ammo, etc.)

Don Robison
11-12-08, 12:22
Welcome to life under another gun grabbing asshat.
I'm pretty stocked up, but figured I would put two more together with a couple of the stripped lowers I had sitting in the safe. I ordered the uppers directly from LMT because of the military discount; they are now at a 10-12 week back log. To there credit though Ryan in sales answered my questions via email faster than most any other company I buy from; I was surprised to get responses from him within an hour of sending my questions off to him. Customer service still means something to the good companies.

BlueForce
11-13-08, 10:31
So has anyone seen a PMAG moving out there in that last 48 hours?

Einsvonuno
11-13-08, 14:23
I was lucky enough to pick up a Bushmaster "Shorty" H-Bar on Nov. 10 because I ordered it before the election. My carbine's barrel lacked a compensator because it was configured for New York State, where I live. I called Bushmaster yesterday (Nov. 12) to order an "Izzy" compensator, and the customer service rep told me that Bushmaster was more than 40,000 barrels behind in orders.

CDDM416
11-13-08, 14:50
To there credit though Ryan in sales answered my questions via email faster than most any other company I buy from; I was surprised to get responses from him within an hour of sending my questions off to him. Customer service still means something to the good companies.

i had dealings with ryan in the past, LMT should be proud to have him employed with them., he is good at what he does, :)