PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15 bolt

flyboy1788
11-11-08, 22:26
I have BCG with a stake job that is identical to LMTs stake job and I originally thought it was made by LMT, then I realized the bolt has no MP or HP marking on it. Whats the deal with this??? does anyone know the story on who makes it?? Does LMT not mark all their bolts or is mine made by someone else? I actually have a BCM bolt in there with the original being my spare.

SwatDawg15
11-12-08, 00:27
It depends on the serial number.... The early ones had CMT BCG's... then they started building there own i think.... Now i think the newer ones do use the LMT bolt, but im unsure of the markings.

flyboy1788
11-12-08, 07:18
serial number is 61,xxx. I have ruled out CMT because the stake job looks identical to an LMT stake job which is a plus, but it doesnt help me figure out who really made it and why it is not MP and HP tested.

markm
11-12-08, 08:11
How do you know it's not tested?

How do any of us know that an MP marked bolt really was tested. AR bolt failure is rare enough that you're wasting your time worrying about your back up bolt. And testing is no guarantee that a bolt won't fail.

mpress
11-12-08, 08:49
I'm pretty sure I saw an "M" mark on the bolt in my 8x,xxx M&P 15T. What I didn't see was an M16 bolt carrier.

flyboy1788
11-12-08, 09:37
How do you know it's not tested?

How do any of us know that an MP marked bolt really was tested. AR bolt failure is rare enough that you're wasting your time worrying about your back up bolt. And testing is no guarantee that a bolt won't fail.

i don't know that its not tested. thats pretty much what I wanted to know. Are all MP and HP tested bolts marked as such? not a huge deal, im not losin' sleep over it, I just wanted to know what the deal was because I have OCD...or BRD(whatever you wanna call it:D), and I dont have anything better to do during the day than to ponder random things like this.
In response to Mpress' comment, mine does not have an m16 carrier either, it is just the enhanced ar-15 carrier.

DM-SC
11-12-08, 18:35
Here's the markings on my LMT bolt from my 15A s/n 66XXX...

http://home.sc.rr.com/dmsc/Bolt%201.jpg

http://home.sc.rr.com/dmsc/Bolt%202.jpg

flyboy1788
11-12-08, 20:07
DM-SC thanks for the pictures. that bolt looks identical to mine as far as the surface texture/color and machine marks are concerned Also my BCM bolt is marked CM and MP so it is probobly made by cmt which is the company who made them for early smiths, and there are slight machining and coating/parkerizing differences between it and my original(smith and wesson) bolt which leads me to believe it is not a CMT. sorry if i am confusing you guys. I just dont like when i can't explain things or find answers for things even if they are irrelevant or non-important. maybe it is just an LMT bolt with no markings... I am no expert, so who the hell knows:confused: