PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for ddm4v5?

Gtorq21
06-30-19, 22:26
What would y'all suggest for upgrades on this rifle. Also any recommendations for a 2 point sling.

RHINOWSO
07-01-19, 00:07
how many rounds through it yet?

Stickman
07-01-19, 02:05
What would y'all suggest for upgrades on this rifle. Also any recommendations for a 2 point sling.

What are you looking to do with it, and what is it set up like now? No way of telling what needs an upgrade without more info.

flenna
07-01-19, 05:48
This is the best upgrade out there, no joke, it will make you a better shooter.I

https://palmettostatearmory.com/federal-xm193bk-5-56-1000rd-case.html

odugrad
07-01-19, 06:18
Maybe an upgraded trigger. And if it's the Daniel Defense furniture I'd get a B5 Bravo stock.

For a sling, i use a VTAC padded sling and have no complaints.

Eurodriver
07-01-19, 06:25
If I had to do it all over again I’d buy one rifle and grab a PEQ15 and PVS-15 from Wills Optics.

ap1220
07-01-19, 06:53
VTAC sling.

Just go shoot it.

Wake27
07-01-19, 07:28
If I had to do it all over again I’d buy one rifle and grab a PEQ15 and PVS-15 from Wills Optics.

I wouldn't, personally. Not only do I have nowhere to shoot at night, I've had to send back my last three "premium" uppers. I'd absolutely have at least one backup gun before doing any of the cool shit like NODs or NFA. Probably before even doing the fancier upgrades.

07-01-19, 07:40
This is the best upgrade out there, no joke, it will make you a better shooter.I

https://palmettostatearmory.com/federal-xm193bk-5-56-1000rd-case.html

PSA’s been having some decent deals on ammo, in-store, lately.

OP: ammo, stack of targets, Aimpoint PRO, and BFG Vickers sling. And a good light, like a Surefire. More ammo.

Sry0fcr
07-01-19, 09:04
Upgrades? None until you shoot it enough to find a reason to upgrade it. As for a sling, I run Blue Force Gear padded VCAS.

Gtorq21
07-01-19, 09:15
I've shot it quite a bit. I find the stock grabs my facial hair pretty often. Just an eotech on it currently. Training/shtf firearm.

Eurodriver
07-01-19, 10:33
I wouldn't, personally. Not only do I have nowhere to shoot at night, I've had to send back my last three "premium" uppers. I'd absolutely have at least one backup gun before doing any of the cool shit like NODs or NFA. Probably before even doing the fancier upgrades.

http://telluric.us/

You just don’t want to. (Which is fine)

People have different priorities. Some enjoy learning how to kill human beings as efficiently as possible. Some folks just want to have lots of guns.

The OP hasn’t really given us any information at all except that he has a beard. I know very few guys with beards who can actually afford a PVS15 and PEQ15 combo, so I’ll retreat from this thread.

docsherm
07-01-19, 11:16

Why do yku feel you need to upgrade it? Is there something that broke, doesn't work properly, or something that doesn't fit you?

How much have you shot this DD? Do yku have other ARs that you have "upgraded"? If so what have you done to them? Are you simply looking to make it "cooler" looking? If that is the case them it really doesn't matter, just do what you want.

As for a Sling, the Blue Force Gear and Viking Tactical 2 point slings are the Gold Standard.

docsherm
07-01-19, 11:20
I've shot it quite a bit. I find the stock grabs my facial hair pretty often. Just an eotech on it currently. Training/shtf firearm.

If that is it then simply slap some tape on the stock and keep shooting. I have not found a good stock that doesn't pull hair. Ir you can simply shave. I was required to have a bread when i was working. If you are not required then shave it if it is that big a deal. I would just suck it up and shoot.

Other than that i don't see what you may need other than a sling as you said.

Optic is good, do you have a light on it?

As Euro pointed out, if you plan to step up to the next level then look at NV and an IR laser. Other than that it is all about training with what you have. Get good with yours and don't worry about what others have.

If it works great. If it doesn't get something that works. At least ypu have a reputable brand. You should be good for some time.

07-01-19, 11:34
Magpul CTR is the best I’ve found for beard compatibility. I’ve not had a full beard in a couple years, so your actual results may vary.

Edit: YHM Turbo is on sale if your looking to take the NFA leap.

RobertTheTexan
07-01-19, 11:38

Well if it’s your shft gun, I’d think about 4 upgrades. I’ll go into detail below. They are:

1. Sling (only #1 if you don’t have one.
2. WML - a weapon light.
3. Trigger - single stage or 2 stage, user preference.
4. Stock

1. If you don’t have a sling, that’s not an upgrade, it’s a NECESSITY. If you have a crappy sling or a piece of 550 cord, then I recommend Blue Force Gear VCAS slings (Vickers Combat Applications Sling) BFG VCAS slings are my go-to sling for all rifles. Regular ones on lighter rifles and padded ones on heavier rifles. I’ve tried more than a few different slings - experimenting with them and ALWAYS sell it or give it away and go back to the BFG VCAS. I tried a couple VTAC slings in my early AR build days, but I did not care for the thinner webbing. There is not a quality issue with VTAC slings, they are very well made, I just prefer the thicker webbing on the VCAS. They are simple and have been on more deployments than can be counted.

2. WML - this can be a $90 Streamlight Pro-Tac, which is a very solid and reliable light with mount to Surefire M300, which can be found for $180. Surefire is the Gold Standard, but I have never had a Streamlight fail on me either and I’ve used more than a few.

3. The other upgrade I would do if I were you is a trigger. If you have a you have a mil spec trigger, then I’d definitely upgrade the fire control. You stated a training shtf purpose. So basically a fighting gun. I am NOT a fan of light 3.5LB triggers on a fighting carbine. It’s too light in my opinion. If you think about circumstances where you are going to use your AR to engage an threat and think about all that adrenaline/dopamine dumping into your system, 3.5 pounds ain’t jack squat and a AD/ND is a very real possibility. (Unless you are an experienced face shooter, then disregard). For my fighting guns, I prefer a good 4.5-5.5 lb trigger. LaRue is making a single stage trigger now that would be a huge improvement over mil spec that runs 5.5 or 6.5 (depending on spring) pounds of pull. My go-to before LaRue started making a single stage trigger was Hiperfire. They are big into the competition scene, but actually make a damn fine single stage trigger. Their “Heavy Gunner” is the model I use and it runs 4.5-5 LB on the pull. Super crisp break and a very clean reset. I own or have owned several. That said I’m waiting on my LaRue single stage to arrive. If there 2 stage trigger is any indication of quality and how good it is, LaRue will be my new go-to single stage as they cost less ($80) than Hiperfire ($90+)

4. I’ve had more than a few stocks grab my beard. You either find a stock that doesn’t or ignore it. If you ignore it and your current stock gives you a good repeatable cheekweld, then you are already GTG. If you don’t like the beard hair then the B5 SOPMOD Enhanced or Magpul SL-S are pretty beard free stocks. (No stock is 100% that I’ve used) Personally I prefer Vltor Emod, it occasionally grabs my beard but not enough to irritate me enough to swap them out and it’s just a very solid stock for me. I like them because I also run A5 buffer systems on 99% of my AR’s. (Im tempted to suggest the A5 as an upgrade, but I’m concerned some people would froth at the mouth and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.). :-) I do own B5 SOPMODs, LMT SOPMODs and the Magpul SL-S I mentioned. They are all really good stocks. The B5 I essentially the same as the LMT, but a lot cheaper. The SL-S has good cheek weld, and battery storage is smartly designed because you don’t have to remove the stock to get to the batteries (or NFA paperwork) or Chic-o-bit candy.

You have a great optic for the purpose of your rifles, so you’re GTG there. I also agree about the ammo and shooting, but unless you’re flat broke, spending $80 on a trigger and 10 minutes to install it, is a no-brainer. Same for sling, stock and light. Also you don’t have to buy everything at once (unless that’s not an issue).

And yes l agree, buy some ammo and train. PSA has a good buy on Federal 5.56 55gr, which is good for training, but my stock up ammo is 62gr. Another ammo alternative is sportsman guide warehouse. Based on the recommendation of a good friend, I started stocking up on Gold Bear 62gr HP .223 ammo. (.29 CPR) and it’s pretty good ammo. SGW has an option called “4-Pay” and it allows you to pay off your ammo in 4 payments. Takes a bit of the sting out of buying a couple thousand rounds or whatever.
SGAMMO.com is another reliable source for ammo.

Only other thing I can think of is a can. If your state allows, it’s a good investment, although a pain in the ass with the rape tax and time in NFA jail, but if I had to do things differently, I would have bought my cans much sooner than I did. If you’re talking SHTF, a can and a set of good nods are also good options. They are both force multipliers, far more so than any trigger, stock, or light. But they are costly and often that prohibits ownership not to mention Nazi-like laws that some states have like that moron in NJ.

Good luck, let us know what you decide and post up some pics in the AR picture thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
07-01-19, 11:53
This is why you’re MOTY

Wake27
07-01-19, 11:55

People have different priorities. Some enjoy learning how to kill human beings as efficiently as possible. Some folks just want to have lots of guns.

The OP hasn’t really given us any information at all except that he has a beard. I know very few guys with beards who can actually afford a PVS15 and PEQ15 combo, so I’ll retreat from this thread.

Yes and no. That’s a 7 hour drive for me, and this is the closest I’ve been to it in several years. TRC is closer at three hours, but both of them have one underlying problem: I’m paying at least $200 per day just to shoot with the NODs and laser that I’d already have paid at least $4k for. If I had access to private land where I could shoot whenever I wanted, it’d be far more of a consideration, especially since I’d be able to just use my own shit at work. But that’s not the case, and I assume it’s not for most people.

OP, I wouldn’t say any thing is a must-have, but a Geissele trigger is a really nice improvement. I like the flat SD-C.

RobertTheTexan
07-01-19, 12:08
This is why you’re MOTY

I just try to pay forward what I’ve learned my friend.. OP asked about upgrades and so I listed the things I do with my AR’s. Truth is, he could run his DD as-is and be GTG. But the moon ain’t gonna fall out of the sky if he upgrades a trigger. (Or doesn’t upgrade his trigger.)

Plus you know that there’s no way I’m gonna pass up the chance to recommend a Most Booty Trigger. :cool: :cool:

Hammer_Man
07-01-19, 13:48
1.) Blue Force Vicker's sling.

2.) Get rid of the ridiculous DD furniture by installing the following:

a.) mil-spec trigger guard

b.) Colt A2 grip

c.) Colt M4 stock

3.) Surefire M600 weapon light.

4.) Don't go out and buy night vision stuff, unless you hunt pigs at night. I got a Dbal A3 in trade, but I have yet to use it for anything practical. The green visible laser brings all the ladies to the yard, but I already have enough things taking my money. If I want to feel dirty, there is a Snap On truck that stops by my work once a week.

5.) At least 20 extra magazines. OK Surefeeds, Magpuls, or Lancers, take your pick.

07-01-19, 14:02
Swapping out the grip seems like a waste of time unless OP doesn’t like the current one. Or is there some issue with them that I’m not yet familiar with?

Hammer_Man
07-01-19, 14:28
Swapping out the grip seems like a waste of time unless OP doesn’t like the current one. Or is there some issue with them that I’m not yet familiar with?

It's personal preference. I find the DD furniture repulsive. Gator skins are for purses.

07-01-19, 14:38
It's personal preference. I find the DD furniture repulsive. Gator skins are for purses.

Fair enough.

JediGuy
07-01-19, 15:46
RobertTheTexan is the man. I mostly echo him less eloquently below.

1. VCAS-ling. Didn’t like the VTAC personally; the VCAS is more streamlined.
2. MBT-2S trigger (personally, would use the heavy spring on a do-all rifle), if you don’t see a benefit in keeping it stock. Price cannot be beaten currently; this is the absolute best trigger you can buy for within $100 (IMO). The sole improvement I think they should make is a little radiusing on the edges. That said, I also like my Hiperfire Heavy Gunner and BCM PNT triggers. The Hiperfire would probably be my third choice of those three, not because it isn’t amazing and better than the BCM, but value to cost and the perceived lightness of the trigger on a do-all. Personal preference between the BCM/Hiperfire.
3. I like my Surefire M600DF with tape switch. That’s on my SBR. But, I think I do prefer the Inforce WML overall. Personal preference, the way it mounts and I use when mounted on a free float.
4. I have a thick but short beard, and I have yet to find a stock that doesn’t snag a bit. My current go to is the Magpul SL-S, but also have the regular SL, SL-K, and a regular Colt M4 stock. All snag. Just traded with a member here to try out the BCM gunfighter mod 0 to see if any better on that front.

My experience in AR’s is that those that asked what you are doing with it/told you to just buy ammo seem to be on target. I bought a ton of stuff over the last couple years and am transitioning to “less is more.” A backup gun makes sense. Three backups/unique setups really doesn’t.

docsherm
07-01-19, 16:06

In much the same way you say NV is a waste because you don't shoot at night, so is changing out furniture...... the OP may love it.

Hammer_Man
07-01-19, 17:59
In much the same way you say NV is a waste because you don't shoot at night, so is changing out furniture...... the OP may love it.

To each their own. However there is a HUGE difference between spending $5k - $6K minimum for a NV setup, versus $50 for a genuine Colt pistol grip, and stock. The OP asked for opinions, and I gave him one.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-01-19, 19:29
To each their own. However there is a HUGE difference between spending $5k - $6K minimum for a NV setup, versus $50 for a genuine Colt pistol grip, and stock. The OP asked for opinions, and I gave him one.

LOL at thinking a Colt pistol grip and stock is an improvement over, well, anything.

Gtorq21
07-01-19, 19:31
Hey guys sorry I hope on here when I can. Appreciate responses. I have some land I own I'm fortunate to shoot on so I shoot alot can't say exactly a round count. Was a bland statement for upgrades was just curious if any y'all had input which I received. Def getting the sling gonna swap to bravo stock. Yea I tend to stock up on 62grain as well. I sold another gun of mine so I had some extra "gun funds". I can use

docsherm
07-01-19, 19:38
LOL at thinking a Colt pistol grip and stock is an improvement over, well, anything.

You sir, just won the internet for today. :jester:

NYH1
07-01-19, 20:26
I like Vickers Blue Force slings. I have both padded and unpadded versions.

My advice would be a sling, red dot optic (Aimpoint, EOTech ect.) and weapon light. Shoot the crap out of it. The more you shoot it the more you'll see what you want to change.

NYH1.

Hammer_Man
07-01-19, 21:45
Hey guys sorry I hope on here when I can. Appreciate responses. I have some land I own I'm fortunate to shoot on so I shoot alot can't say exactly a round count. Was a bland statement for upgrades was just curious if any y'all had input which I received. Def getting the sling gonna swap to bravo stock. Yea I tend to stock up on 62grain as well. I sold another gun of mine so I had some extra "gun funds". I can use

Don't forget extra mags. Stock up on those while prices are good.

RobertTheTexan
07-02-19, 01:04
1.) Blue Force Vicker's sling.

2.) Get rid of the ridiculous DD furniture by installing the following:

a.) mil-spec trigger guard

b.) Colt A2 grip

c.) Colt M4 stock

3.) Surefire M600 weapon light.

4.) Don't go out and buy night vision stuff, unless you hunt pigs at night. I got a Dbal A3 in trade, but I have yet to use it for anything practical. The green visible laser brings all the ladies to the yard, but I already have enough things taking my money. If I want to feel dirty, there is a Snap On truck that stops by my work once a week.

5.) At least 20 extra magazines. OK Surefeeds, Magpuls, or Lancers, take your pick.

I thought the OP asked about upgrades, not 40 year old downgrades. :)

Hammer_Man
07-02-19, 02:02
I thought the OP asked about upgrades, not 40 year old downgrades. :)

I consider Colt mil parts an upgrade over anything DD makes. If somebody gave me a DD rifle, the rubber coated abortions they pass off as furniture would the first things to go in the trash. I'm willing to bet genuine Colt mil parts would outlast DD's gator skinned abortions over the long haul period.

What do you consider upgrades from mil spec? Magpul? Every Magpul grip I handle feels slippery, and I don't trust their rubber coated stuff to last very long in the field. Magpul stocks are decent, but don't do anything above and beyond the standard mil stock, except maybe weigh more. I stopped using Ergo grips after a selector spring started to buldge out the side of one I was using. B5 stocks are nice as well, but too bulky/heavy. I've tried to like them, but I always go back to the standard M4 stock. I mean come on, does anybody actually store batteries in their butt stocks? Kudos to any civilian that does, but something tells me they don't use their WML, or PEQ enough to need them.

So yes to wrap things up... Mil parts are cheap, durable, and weigh less than most other options on the market. DD furniture is ugly AF, and IMO not in it for the long haul. If that makes a few DD butt sluts angry, that's something they'll have to cope with as they run to their safe space.

So yeah DD fans here's a trigger free list for you:

1.) Get a sling, and a nice set of matching DD sling mounts.

2.) Weapon light with a nice matching DD light mount.

3.) Matching DD magazines to go with your gator skinned rifle.

jpmuscle
07-02-19, 05:30
Lol @ DD sluts comment.

Love it [emoji3059]

grizzlyblake
07-02-19, 06:16
Dang, not sure why everyone's so cranky around here lately. The holier-than-thou snark seems to be much stronger than normal.

Anyway, OP asked about upgrading his DDM4V5 which has an EOTech on it.

You said you were going to buy the B5 stock, but check around and try a few out. Is the rubber part grabbing your beard or is beard hair getting stuck between the buffer tube and stock itself? If the latter, there's not much you can do other than maybe leave the stock extended how you like it and kind of seal that crack with some electrical tape. I really like the Magpul SL stock personally, although it does snag a beard hair from time to time.

Do you have back up iron sights on the gun? With an optic that's totally battery dependent like an EO it's a good idea. Magpul MBUS Pros seem to be kind of the go to currently.

The Blue Force VCAS sling is great, you just need to pick up two QD swivels since your gun should have multiple sockets already. Magpul makes good ones.

For a light the Surefire Scout is the gold standard but the Streamlight Pro Tac rail mount is decent also and will mount right up to your quad rail.

I've never pulled a DD trigger so I can't comment on that. For your use I can't imagine the stock trigger would cause any problems.

There's a lot of "strong" personalities around here that kind of compete for the yearbook superlatives, but don't let it bother you.

RHINOWSO
07-02-19, 09:47
Dang, not sure why everyone's so cranky around here lately. The holier-than-thou snark seems to be much stronger than normal.

They got kicked off Twatter and lost their Insagrumper followers.

RHINOWSO
07-02-19, 09:48

Yes and no. That’s a 7 hour drive for me, and this is the closest I’ve been to it in several years. TRC is closer at three hours, but both of them have one underlying problem: I’m paying at least $200 per day just to shoot with the NODs and laser that I’d already have paid at least $4k for. If I had access to private land where I could shoot whenever I wanted, it’d be far more of a consideration, especially since I’d be able to just use my own shit at work. But that’s not the case, and I assume it’s not for most people.

OP, I wouldn’t say any thing is a must-have, but a Geissele trigger is a really nice improvement. I like the flat SD-C.

True, not everyone can quit the military, then spend the rest of their waking moments trying to get better at 'killing people', when not rage quitting, or complaining about money / guns / women / life.

;)

CPM
07-02-19, 14:23
edited to avoid a derail

Pappabear
07-02-19, 14:32
I generally instal an A5 buffer system and a Geissele SSA trigger in my AR's.. With Holiday sales going on, its a good time to go for it. Then a suppressor, because they are awesome.

PB

CPM
07-02-19, 14:36
edited to avoid a derail

RobertTheTexan
07-02-19, 16:40
I generally instal an A5 buffer system and a Geissele SSA trigger in my AR's.. With Holiday sales going on, its a good time to go for it. Then a suppressor, because they are awesome.

PB

PB you need to repent you sinner!!! The travesty of it all, the udder hairasee!! Frankly, I’m appalled.

Swapping out a perfectly good carbine buffet system with a better A5 system. Egads!

Eurodriver
07-02-19, 16:58
edited to avoid a derail

What did you say? Are you mad I flew all the way to Texas to shoot with other M4C members and not you?

mark5pt56
07-03-19, 06:49
PB you need to repent you sinner!!! The travesty of it all, the udder hairasee!! Frankly, I’m appalled.

Swapping out a perfectly good carbine buffet system with a better A5 system. Egads!

Wow! You must be older, the only person I ever heard use that word was my mom.

Haha. Yes, the nerve