PDA

View Full Version : Broward Sheriff’s Office loses its accreditation

WillBrink
07-01-19, 15:09
Wow, talk about a vote of no confidence by fellow LE, let FL largest Sheriff’s Office know they don't have any confidence in that PD and revoked their accreditation. Apparently that will not impact day to day operations, but has potentially serious implications for the PD. Credit where credit is due, slow as it may seem, the chips are falling around that PD and others in LE etc, not sweeping this one under the rug so to speak. Too little too late? I don't know, but other than a few complete idiots who blame the AR alone, everyone else seems to recognize what an utter and complete failure was the top to the bottom of that PD and they're starting to drop the hammer where ever they can:

A state panel has voted unanimously to revoke the law enforcement accreditation of the Broward Sheriff’s Office, the largest sheriff’s office in Florida.

The loss of accreditation — a voluntary certification sought by law enforcement agencies — won’t affect BSO’s operations in a major way. But it is a further blow to the agency’s prestige at a time when a new command staff, including a new sheriff, are dealing with a string of failures and questionable conduct by deputies.

The Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA) cited BSO’s mishandling of the Parkland school shooting last year and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport shooting in 2017 as reasons for its decision in a 13-0 vote last week.

Both incidents were marked by chaotic and disorganized responses from the sheriff’s office. Seventeen people died at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on Feb. 14, 2018, including some who were waiting for rescue as BSO deputies took cover, put on body armor and struggled to find the building where the massacre had taken place. Then-Broward Sheriff Scott Israel, a Democrat, defended his agency but was suspended from office by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Accreditation allows agencies to standardize their practices and make sure they meet widely accepted guidelines. Accreditation can also help buttress agencies in defending themselves against lawsuits as it shows their procedures have been validated by outside experts, as well as lower their insurance rates. In Florida, there are more than 200 standards that an agency must meet to to maintain accreditation.

BSO was initially reviewed by a CFA assessment team in mid-December of 2018 and again in May 2019 after the release of a scathing state investigation into BSO’s performance at Stoneman Douglas. The team found that BSO was in compliance with state standards and recommended that BSO be “favorably reviewed” by the CFA panel, according to documents reviewed by the Miami Herald.

But the commission — a governing body made up of sheriffs, police chiefs and other high-ranking officials from across the state — voted to set aside that recommendation. Instead, it revoked BSO’s law enforcement accreditation based on its handling of the two major casualty incidents within its jurisdiction.

At the meeting in Orlando Wednesday, Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay pointed out that agencies must prove not only that they have proper standards and regulations in place but that their personnel are following those rules.

“During the rating period of the time we’re talking in question here, there were substantial periods where they were not in compliance with how they performed in the field,” Ramsay said, according to an audio recording of the meeting obtained by the Herald. “As a result we saw the catastrophic loss of life and injuries and what transpired because of lack of following procedures and things in place.”

Another commission member added: “What happened this past year, the best practices were not exhibited on the day of that tragedy. There were multiple policy failures, training failures, leadership failures, equipment failures.”

Cont:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article232140297.html?

SteyrAUG
07-01-19, 16:08
That is going to affect a lot of people. Back in the Ken Jenne days BSO gobbled up small PD's all over the county. Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, Parkland and about a dozen others were all taken over by BSO. This was in preparation for then Sheriff Ken Jenne to take over a newly created Strong Mayor position after showing he could manage a large municipality.

But lots of guys with decades serving PDs that were recently absorbed by BSO are going to have their service tainted to some extent. And this isn't a Scott Israel problem, this mentality began with Ken Jenne who was later convicted of fraud and tax evasion following charges of money laundering and other corruption charges.

For the life of me I don't know why they didn't keep Lamberti in office, at least he was actually a career LEO who was trying to fix things. But when they brought Scott Israel in apparently it was business as usual...again.

Jenne changed to environment at BSO directing deputies to under report crime, to not generate a case file number whenever possible and to downgrade the nature of crimes for reporting purposes. Anything and everything was done to make it look like Jenne was effectively lowering the crime rate. That atmosphere changed the mentality of most people who worked for BSO and it carried right over to the Ft. Lauderdale airport and Parkland events because it was still business as usual under Scott Israel.

I know more than a few guys who left BSO to work for other PDs that BSO was unlikely to absorb even though it meant selling their house after the crash and buying a home elsewhere that they couldn't really afford. I know a handful who left law enforcement completely because they didn't have enough years to get hired anyplace else.

Firefly
07-01-19, 16:10
Another false protector rejected

Arik
07-01-19, 18:51
What exactly is accreditation. What's it do?

Firefly
07-01-19, 19:04
Honestly nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Its like CALEA. There will always be a Sheriffs office because it is constitutionally mandated. They can remove a sheriff and everyone from top down at the state level.

The long and short of it is they are not part of the “club”. It has no bearing on arrest powers, custodial detention, nor court operations.

It’s like basically “we think you suck, you can’t sit at our lunch table, but we can’t keep you from coming to school”

Now they CAN shut down a police department but depending on size it’s literally firing everyone they don’t like and starting over.

WillBrink
07-01-19, 19:17

Article gives some info on that.

WillBrink
07-01-19, 19:18
That is going to affect a lot of people. Back in the Ken Jenne days BSO gobbled up small PD's all over the county. Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, Parkland and about a dozen others were all taken over by BSO. This was in preparation for then Sheriff Ken Jenne to take over a newly created Strong Mayor position after showing he could manage a large municipality.

But lots of guys with decades serving PDs that were recently absorbed by BSO are going to have their service tainted to some extent. And this isn't a Scott Israel problem, this mentality began with Ken Jenne who was later convicted of fraud and tax evasion following charges of money laundering and other corruption charges.

For the life of me I don't know why they didn't keep Lamberti in office, at least he was actually a career LEO who was trying to fix things. But when they brought Scott Israel in apparently it was business as usual...again.

Jenne changed to environment at BSO directing deputies to under report crime, to not generate a case file number whenever possible and to downgrade the nature of crimes for reporting purposes. Anything and everything was done to make it look like Jenne was effectively lowering the crime rate. That atmosphere changed the mentality of most people who worked for BSO and it carried right over to the Ft. Lauderdale airport and Parkland events because it was still business as usual under Scott Israel.

I know more than a few guys who left BSO to work for other PDs that BSO was unlikely to absorb even though it meant selling their house after the crash and buying a home elsewhere that they couldn't really afford. I know a handful who left law enforcement completely because they didn't have enough years to get hired anyplace else.

You may have answered your own Q with that one statement! :secret:

Uni-Vibe
07-01-19, 19:25
You can't expect policemen to trade their lives for those of children that they don't know. They didn't sign up for that.

Arik
07-01-19, 19:28
You can't expect policemen to trade their lives for those of children that they don't know. They didn't sign up for that.Can't tell if sarcasm

lowprone
07-01-19, 20:07
I don't think it was.

sgtrock82
07-01-19, 20:13
You can't expect policemen to trade their lives for those of children that they don't know. They didn't sign up for that.Then they can be mall cops. Hopefully more professional ones.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Firefly
07-01-19, 20:57
You can't expect policemen to trade their lives for those of children that they don't know. They didn't sign up for that.

Living is highly overrated.

Whatever it takes. I've lived my life. **** it. anything for a joke

Uni-Vibe
07-01-19, 21:06
Can't tell if sarcasm

Nope. These guys have families of their own to take care of. And nobody wants to check out early themselves.

Firefly
07-01-19, 21:09
Nope. These guys have families of their own to take care of. And nobody wants to check out early themselves.

I have no friends
PBA pays well for LODD
Speak for yourself, Sweetchuck

(sounds morbid but....not everyone squats to pee)

You know I'm born to lose, and gamblings for fools. But that's the way I like it. I don't want to live forever

Arik
07-01-19, 21:15
Nope. These guys have families of their own to take care of. And nobody wants to check out early themselves.Wrong line of work then. Same as firemen. That's literally their job, which is why they have tasers, handguns and rifles.

seb5
07-01-19, 21:28

Trade, no. Risk, yes you can and there are many that would. And I also think they did sign up for that.

BoringGuy45
07-01-19, 23:13
Now they CAN shut down a police department but depending on size it’s literally firing everyone they don’t like and starting over.

And that's hard to do in a Florida sheriff's office, considering the counties are the largest jurisdictions to provide day to day policing off of the highways. I have to wonder, considering that Broward SO seems to be a chronic problem, would it be a good idea for the county to explore forming a separate county police department and restricting the sheriff's office to corrections and court duty? That's commonly how it's done in Georgia, Maryland, and Virginia. Nothing's perfect, but it seems like a lot of the county PDs in those states are considered some of the most top notch local agencies on the East Coast.

07-02-19, 04:13

It is precisely what they signed up for.

SteyrAUG
07-02-19, 04:17

And yet, a bunch of other guys went inside, including a black guy armed with a tie, to try and do just that...to save those kids. If you aren't ready to hunt Bin Laden, don't go to BUDS. If you aren't ready to climb high ladders, don't go to the fire department. And if you aren't ready to run in a building, find armed bad guy and bring shooting spree to an abrupt end, then don't be a cop...especially not a SRO.

These jobs aren't for everyone, that's why I'm not a F-18 Hornet pilot. Would have been cool as F, but not sure I'd have been very good at it and didn't want to F things up for everyone else on the off chance it actually happened.

ThirdWatcher
07-02-19, 06:39

I served 40+ years in LE, every minute of it on the street and I never walked into any situation thinking I was “trading my life” for anyone.

The State agency I’m retired from had excellent firearms and ground fighting training. They gave us a box of (new) practice ammo monthly and expected us to stay proficient with our weapons. We had a FATS Machine when I went through the Academy in ‘79 and upgraded to a Simulator with branching. We also practiced with Simunitions, to include Active Shooter training.

Combine this training with the lack of micromanagement (which is the real enemy) and why would I (or any of my fellow LEO’s) hesitate to do our duty.

I knew the risks when I took the King’s Shilling...

WillBrink
07-02-19, 07:20

That's precisely what thy signed up for and thank God/Allah/Shiva few of them would agree with you on that.

chuckman
07-02-19, 07:22

Accreditation can affect funding, schools, etc. But lack of it won't affect too much, now. Like schools and HCFs/MTFs, there will come a point in time where you have to have it or there will be serious legal and funding ramifications.

WillBrink
07-02-19, 07:29
Accreditation can affect funding, schools, etc. But lack of it won't affect too much, now. Like schools and HCFs/MTFs, there will come a point in time where you have to have it or there will be serious legal and funding ramifications.

Considering the context, the hit to their reputation could be the worst part of it perhaps, but it's gonna hurt overall.

jsbhike
07-02-19, 09:11
If it doesn't affect them, what reason does anyone have to change?

CWM11B
07-02-19, 09:46
If the accreditation they lost is anything like CALEA, I'd say thanks and move on. CALEA is a self licking ice cream cone that keeps fat ass retired chiefs (many if not most cut from the same cloth as Israel) in a big fat retirement check. In my 24 year career accreditation was probably the biggest waste of time and money I ever saw. Your dues check clears and you're in the club. It had ZERO impact on grants awarded, funding, operations, or building community rapport/trust. At no time during some of our highly controversial incidents (one had a movie made about it) did our detractors say "Hold off on the demonstrations and hell raising guys, the PD is accredited, we're wrong, it's all good". This isn't to defend the shortcomings of the BSO, but accreditation is bullshit and most cops will tell you that. Were I named chief of an agency that was CALEA accredited, its be the first thing I ditched and that money would go to actual needs.

As to not signing up for trading my life for other people's kids? Correctomundo, I did not. I signed up to go in and stop the threat, knowing that it may result in my death or serious injury, but a simple trade of me for the innocent? No. Counter to the mission. It was absolutely expected of me to run in and stop the murderous anti-social behavior of shitheads like this shooter and either take them into custody for trial or put them down. Their choice on that. Trade my life? Nope. Risk it to prevent your innocent kid's from being stolen from them? Yep. Every day all day. And I prepared for it religiously, on my own dime and expense mostly. And if it was going to happen, I wanted it to happen when I could get there and put the skills to use to mitigate the crime. Like others have said, not willing then don't apply. It's not about free coffee and half priced meals.

pinzgauer
07-02-19, 11:54
That's precisely what thy signed up for and thank God/Allah/Shiva few of them would agree with you on that.I wince when I read/hear folks say "no compulsion" or "I did not sign up for that"...

I know in GA the School resource officer job description and R&R outline protection of students and staff as primary responsibilities. And specifically mentions external threats.

Makes me think of a fireman saying they did not sign up to fight fires. Or those soldiers in the early 2000's who protested deployment, saying "they never expected to actually deploy to fight".

jsbhike
07-02-19, 12:14
Likely Warren v. District of Columbia is the bet to make or risk being disappointed.

07-02-19, 12:58
I wince when I read/hear folks say "no compulsion" or "I did not sign up for that"...

I know in GA the School resource officer job description and R&R outline protection of students and staff as primary responsibilities. And specifically mentions external threats.

Makes me think of a fireman saying they did not sign up to fight fires. Or those soldiers in the early 2000's who protested deployment, saying "they never expected to actually deploy to fight".

“I just joined for college; I didn’t know I would have to goto Iraq!”

Well, WTF did you think armies do?

26 Inf
07-02-19, 13:04

Here is the deal, no one is drafted into being a law enforcement officer. If you don't want to take risks that are required in exigent circumstances, don't take the job.

I honestly don't believe you posted that.

Hmac
07-02-19, 13:30
Interesting evolution of this situation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ousted-broward-county-sheriff-scott-israel-wants-his-old-job-back-running-for-reelection

Ousted Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel wants his old job back, running for reelection
The former top cop of the largest sheriff's office in Florida -- who was booted from power earlier this year in the response to his handling of two mass shootings -- is running for his old job. Former Sheriff Scott Israel filed paperwork Monday stating his intention to run in the August 2020 Democratic primary.

Firefly
07-02-19, 13:34
At the risk of sounding like some YouTube a-hole... .

They are ALL Suicide Missions. But if you are good enough you get to keep playing.

I mean....you’re going out and getting into people’s business with just a radio, a flashlight, and a pistol. You can have the most Ricky Ranger AR in the Car but it may as well be on Mars when you get out and nothing turns into something and you are a couple city blocks away on foot

Besides living is as overrated as sunshine

Uni-Vibe
07-02-19, 16:12
Here is the deal, no one is drafted into being a law enforcement officer. If you don't want to take risks that are required in exigent circumstances, don't take the job.

No? Some lawmen I know think the deputies are being scapegoated. The idea is that getting killed or suffering a crippling injury is not part of the job, and there's an element of self preservation. Even though I'm not a policeman, I'm inclined to agree.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-02-19, 16:20
No? Some lawmen I know think the deputies are being scapegoated. The idea is that getting killed or suffering a crippling injury is not part of the job, and there's an element of self preservation. Even though I'm not a policeman, I'm inclined to agree.

Part of the job? No, but that is a risk you should accept when you take the job. If the school full of kids you are supposed to protect is getting shot up and your first inclination while you stand at the door is "eff that I didn't sign up for this" you may be in the wrong job. Being burned to death "isn't part of the job", but you can't be a very good firefighter if you aren't willing to accept the risk of going into a burning building when there are people inside.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-02-19, 16:26
https://www.dailywire.com/news/49110/shameless-broward-sheriff-scott-israel-files-run-hank-berrien

Wow. Scott Israel files to run for sheriff again.

07-02-19, 16:46

The cops you hang out with are cowards and should quit. Obviously the goal is not to get shot. But someone entrusted to protect should die fighting, rather than live in cowardice. Or the third (sometimes unlikely) option, live with honor.

MountainRaven
07-02-19, 17:37

It's not scapegoating if they're actually responsible.

CWM11B
07-02-19, 19:48

Then the "lawmen" you know are cowards wearing a uniform. If they aren't willing to accept the risk, then they are collecting their pay under false pretenses, which is arguably a crime where I live. Not of my tribe, and would be shunned by those I served with. I actually had an officer like this under my supervision once. He verbalized his cowardice and was despised by his peers. His performance reflected his attitude, and fortunately he gave me what I needed to lay the groundwork for his departure from the profession. I'm proud to say he was stripped if his badge and is no longer a burden to the taxpayer.

None of my business, but if the " lawmen" you know are actual friends, I'd be looking to up my standards.

WillBrink
07-03-19, 09:48
https://www.dailywire.com/news/49110/shameless-broward-sheriff-scott-israel-files-run-hank-berrien

Obviously a pathological narcissist incapable of any introspection. Shocking he'd be an HC supporter...

sundance435
07-03-19, 10:34

100% agree. No rational person is asking that you surrender your right to live when you take the badge and the gun. But, whether it's a school shooter or a "suspicious person" call, if you're not willing to accept the possibility you might die doing your job, then you have no business doing it. I'm spitballing here, but 90%+ of LEOs will never be in a real life or death situation; the good ones accept that it might happen and prepare for it and fight accordingly, while the bad ones lie to themselves about that possibility and run when it occurs.

At the risk of sounding like some YouTube a-hole... .

They are ALL Suicide Missions. But if you are good enough you get to keep playing.

I mean....you’re going out and getting into people’s business with just a radio, a flashlight, and a pistol. You can have the most Ricky Ranger AR in the Car but it may as well be on Mars when you get out and nothing turns into something and you are a couple city blocks away on foot

Besides living is as overrated as sunshine

Couldn't agree more. That should be hung on every academy wall (maybe minus the "living" part) like "Live, Laugh, Love" is in every married couple's living room.

Edited to add: Accreditation in law enforcement is a complete crock of shit, anyway. It's something only the chief/sheriff cares about for a resume and everyone else goes along with to make them happy. I've seen plenty of shit agencies that were accredited and good ones that weren't.

LoboTBL
07-03-19, 15:07

I was hoping you were being sarcastic.

That's exactly what we sign up for; fully realizing it might actually occur.

Any LEO that isn't willing to do the job should resign immediately.

Artos
07-03-19, 15:41

Wow indeed...wonder what the over/under is on the % of votes he receives?? What a narcissistic DB this continues to be.

glocktogo
07-03-19, 16:16

I hope you don't trust them, because they don't sound trustworthy, and that's me being kind. :(

SteyrAUG
07-03-19, 18:00
Wow indeed...wonder what the over/under is on the % of votes he receives?? What a narcissistic DB this continues to be.

This is nothing new for South Florida.

Google Miriam Oliphant and Michelle Spence Jones. Both were actually removed from office, ran again and got elected.

jsbhike
07-03-19, 18:17
I hope you don't trust them, because they don't sound trustworthy, and that's me being kind. :(

They may not be noble or people that can be counted on, but it does sound like they are probably more honest than most.

BoringGuy45
07-03-19, 21:31
This is nothing new for South Florida.

Google Miriam Oliphant and Michelle Spence Jones. Both were actually removed from office, ran again and got elected.

It's everywhere. Marion Berry in DC. In CT, Eddie Perez, the mayor of Hartford, who was convicted on federal corruption charges 10 years ago, is running for mayor again and is expected to win.

ThirdWatcher
07-04-19, 07:45
They may not be noble or people that can be counted on, but it does sound like they are probably more honest than most.

I hate cowards. It makes me sick to think there are LEO’s out there that could live with themselves after refusing to stop an active shooter from slaughtering the people they’ve sworn to protect.

jsbhike
07-04-19, 08:01
I hate cowards. It makes me sick to think there are LEO’s out there that could live with themselves after refusing to stop an active shooter from slaughtering the people they’ve sworn to protect.

Is it really that big of a step past playing a role in making sure there are people disarmed and less able to defend themselves? That is the purpose of gun control after all.

Uni-Vibe
07-04-19, 09:51
Broward county has more problems today. CNN claims that deputies are charged with brutality and filing false reports concerning the arrest of a 15 year old.

ThirdWatcher
07-05-19, 20:56
Is it really that big of a step past playing a role in making sure there are people disarmed and less able to defend themselves? That is the purpose of gun control after all.

No one has the right to tell another person they can’t defend themselves from attack.

jsbhike
07-06-19, 06:42
No one has the right to tell another person they can’t defend themselves from attack.

No one may have the right, but apparently they have the privilege of limiting a person's ability to defend themselves from attack.

And there are the supreme Court rulings on officers having no duty to protect anyone.

pinzgauer
07-06-19, 09:13
You guys keep bring up that ruling... While I think its a bad ruling, i could see it applying to an officer on patrol, etc. And especially if in a suit by someone harmed by officer inaction in some random crime.

Resource officers are not beat cops, at least in our state. Completely different job description and R&R. Cush duty, except when its not.

Their primary responsibility is the protection of students and teachers. Not enforcememt or "peacekeeping".

I think there is a point when a reasonable person would say an officer would be ok not to advance. Well barricaded bad guy, outgunned, bad tactical situation, chose not to advance.

But that is not what happened here... It is on camera. The guy hid outside, did not even go in adjacent buildings.

He's an outright coward, and I cant believe the armchair lawyers defending the behavior.

Same for the officer who arrived on scene and took control. Then did not allow anyone to enter.

Something is seriously broken in Broward.

sgtrock82
07-06-19, 14:31
You guys keep bring up that ruling... While I think its a bad ruling, i could see it applying to an officer on patrol, etc. And especially if in a suit by someone harmed by officer inaction in some random crime.

Resource officers are not beat cops, at least in our state. Completely different job description and R&R. Cush duty, except when its not.

Their primary responsibility is the protection of students and teachers. Not enforcememt or "peacekeeping".

I think there is a point when a reasonable person would say an officer would be ok not to advance. Well barricaded bad guy, outgunned, bad tactical situation, chose not to advance.

But that is not what happened here... It is on camera. The guy hid outside, did not even go in adjacent buildings.

He's an outright coward, and I cant believe the armchair lawyers defending the behavior.

Same for the officer who arrived on scene and took control. Then did not allow anyone to enter.

Something is seriously broken in Broward.Somebody gotst to go have a look or how the hell does anyone even know whats going on where and what action can be taken.

Yeah Im sure that sucks alone but FFS you can at least push yourself foward til it actually gets hairy or you can pin down a location and a semblance of a situation

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

jsbhike
07-06-19, 15:39

Something is seriously broken in Broward.

It is good to bring up the supreme Court ruling. Perhaps someone will go look it up when the powers that be make the claim police are there to protect people as they try to sell gun control and similar initiatives.

ThirdWatcher
07-07-19, 09:18
You guys keep bring up that ruling... While I think its a bad ruling, i could see it applying to an officer on patrol, etc. And especially if in a suit by someone harmed by officer inaction in some random crime...

I remember when our Legal Officer told us about this court decision at In Service Training (back in the ‘80’s). He seemed delighted and I was aghast. IIRC, a woman in Washington, DC called Police to report her ex-boyfriend was trying to break into her house. The Police showed up, spotlighted the residence, and cleared the call.

Evidently the ex-boyfriend had gained access to the residence and spent the next several hours sexually assaulting her. Yet SCOTUS ruled Police have no duty to protect any one individual.

I know most municipal police officers have stacked calls but I would have at least exited my patrol car and made contact with the Complainant before moving on to the next call.

Renegade
07-07-19, 10:10

Actually they did sign up for it.

And get this, Fireman sign up to run into burning buildings to save people they do not know.

Renegade
07-07-19, 10:13
The Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA) cited BSO’s mishandling of the Parkland school shooting last year and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport shooting in 2017 as reasons for its decision in a 13-0 vote last week.

2 years too late. Perhaps if they took action right after the airport, changes could have been made before Parkland.

But yanking the accreditation now, years after the incidents, when most of the senior personnel responsible are gone, is typical bureaucratic bungling. They should have their ability to accredit/disacredit anyone yanked.

Averageman
07-07-19, 10:42
2 years too late. Perhaps if they took action right after the airport, changes could have been made before Parkland.

But yanking the accreditation now, years after the incidents, when most of the senior personnel responsible are gone, is typical bureaucratic bungling. They should have their ability to accredit/disacredit anyone yanked.

The whole system is broken in Broward County at nearly all levels.
Remember, the School System was key in covering up some of the perps escapades so as not to make their record look bad.
How many times were people out to that house to interview this guy because of some very questionable behavior?
Then there is the Teacher who looked the other way when this guy came on campus and even failed to report his presence while he was carrying that gun in a case.
That's likely the last place I would want to live in and or raise kids in. The only people who are safe are the Cops, the Politicians and the School Board.

Renegade
07-07-19, 10:46
Remember, the School System was key in covering up some of the perps escapades so as not to make their record look bad.
How many times were people out to that house to interview this guy because of some very questionable behavior?
Then there is the Teacher who looked the other way when this guy came on campus and even failed to report his presence while he was carrying that gun in a case.
That's likely the last place I would want to live in and or raise kids in. The only people who are safe are the Cops, the Politicians and the School Board.

Again all those things were years ago. Thus they should have pulled it years ago. Or better, have a probation period to fix stuff, say 6 months then pull if not fixed.

Averageman
07-07-19, 11:22
Again all those things were years ago. Thus they should have pulled it years ago. Or better, have a probation period to fix stuff, say 6 months then pull if not fixed.

I believe they waited this long in an effort to allow a lot of CYA to take place.

MountainRaven
07-07-19, 21:02
Actually they did sign up for it.

And get this, Fireman sign up to run into burning buildings to save people they do not know.

Entertainingly (or not. Maybe just fascinatingly?) enough, firefighters have the inverse problem: Too many firefighters are too willing to run into burning buildings, even when no one is in the building. No people, no pets, not even anything especially valuable and irreplaceable. And it gets firefighters killed over basically nothing. But firefighters still want to charge into the blaze.

SteyrAUG
07-07-19, 23:31

And here is the real scary part, Broward County is a dreamland place to live compared to Dade.

MeanCarbine
07-14-19, 15:30
Too bad this LEO was not the RSO at Stoneman Douglas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UllFP_CaAt4

Shane1
07-18-19, 10:19
Accreditation is highly overrated. The term 'paper tiger' comes to mind with some agencies I know of.

sundance435
07-18-19, 11:20
Accreditation is highly overrated. The term 'paper tiger' comes to mind with some agencies I know of.

It's a resume feather for brass. That's it. I've seen an equal number of crap "accredited" agencies and good non-accredited agencies.

WillBrink
07-18-19, 11:37

A lot of things are overrated, but public perception is another matter other than the small % of people who get it has minimal relevance, it looks very bad. What it is is a public vote of no confidence by fellow LE and it's effective perception wise.

glocktogo
07-18-19, 11:50
Doesn't accreditation have more to do with insurance rates than anything?

Shane1
07-24-19, 03:31
"It's a resume feather for brass". I agree. I served as the Accreditation Manager for 2 Agencies and worked for a 3rd that was in the process. None of them followed their own policies except for in the files and on assessment day.

Glocktogo, it has more to do with getting grants

WillBrink
07-24-19, 08:04
"It's a resume feather for brass". I agree. I served as the Accreditation Manager for 2 Agencies and worked for a 3rd that was in the process. None of them followed their own policies except for in the files and on assessment day.

Glocktogo, it has more to do with getting grants

Well that's not good!