PDA

View Full Version : Country's without NFA laws?

bigthunder223
11-12-08, 03:10
Does anyone know in which countries you can legally purchase and own automatic weapons and suppressors without enduring the same processes we do here?I am curious and thought it might be interesting to discuss the laws regarding class 3 weapons in different countries.My wife and I are also considering relocating.

Iraqgunz
11-12-08, 03:15
There are actually very few places that allow weapons like this. Though people love to cite Switzerland as an example, even they have passed laws over the last few years restricting ownership, etc... Another thing to consider is unless you are a citizen of that country, not just a resident then you may have no right to own a firearm at all.

Does anyone know in which countries you can legally purchase and own automatic weapons and suppressors without enduring the same processes we do here?I am curious and thought it might be interesting to discuss the laws regarding class 3 weapons in different countries.My wife and I are also considering relocating.

thopkins22
11-12-08, 10:08
Finland. I don't know the restrictions of actual firearm ownership, but I do know that if you can own the gun you can own the suppressor without any extra paperwork or licensing. They consider it a safety and courtesy device, like a muffler on a car.

In fact I think while ownership of the gun itself is more difficult in other countries, quite a few don't have barrel length restrictions and other things like that.

eightmillimeter
11-12-08, 10:48
Where is the guy from the Philippines when you need him?

militarymoron
11-12-08, 10:54
another thing to consider is while the law in a particular country might make it less restrictive to own an automatic weapon or supressor, availability and cost of those items might be a different matter. you might not be able to get what you want in that country and it might cost more (or less), or you might be restricted to certain calibers.

Dave L.
11-12-08, 11:22
Iraq; There isn't a semi-auto AK around here for thousands of miles. Every household can own one.
Most of these savages don't realize their guns are select fire...

Iraqgunz
11-12-08, 12:29
Dave,

Good point! Forgot all about my own backyard. But, who the **** wants to move here???? On second thought it may not be such a bad idea.

Iraq; There isn't a semi-auto AK around here for thousands of miles. Every household can own one.

The Archangel
11-12-08, 13:41

Aren't they only allowed one weapon per household and foreign troops can search their home at any time?

Dave L.
11-12-08, 15:30
Aren't they only allowed one weapon per household and foreign troops can search their home at any time?

Yup, that's the info I got.
I'm not a "troop" anymore, so when I need AK's we have a guy that calls a guy who drives a taxi with a trunk full of guns and ammo. Asshole charges American prices too ($550 for Mint weapon).

Iraq is great like that. The ideas are in place, it just happens to be a corrupt God-forsaken Shithole.

Cagemonkey
11-12-08, 15:54
I think Finland is pretty liberal with NFA weapons, but I don't know for sure.

rmecapn
11-12-08, 16:17
Somalia.

Ed L.
11-13-08, 02:41
You have to watch out with some of those countries that supposedly have permisable gun laws because those laws often don't extend to carry or defensive use of firearms. I don't know how Finland is in those regards.

The Archangel
11-13-08, 09:50
Yup, that's the info I got.
I'm not a "troop" anymore, so when I need AK's we have a guy that calls a guy who drives a taxi with a trunk full of guns and ammo. Asshole charges American prices too ($550 for Mint weapon).

Iraq is great like that. The ideas are in place, it just happens to be a corrupt God-forsaken Shithole.

Damn them pesky vermin for trying to get a piece of the pie!

If we were no longer a superpower and the UN sent foreign soldiers into the US and these soldiers went house to house kicking down doors and making sure that we only had one gun per household, I guess I would be kinda pissed too. Probably be an insurgent and labeled as a terrorist. What do ya think?

DrewH
11-13-08, 09:53
Ed L., very good point. Finland itself is that way, along with most of Europe.

Keep in mind as well that gun ownership is very vulnerable in most countries outside the US. People who own guns for self defense are very rare, "conservative" parties are not interested in guns, gun lobbies are weak and interested only in sporting aspects of gun ownership. A massacre or two can destroy gun ownership. Two massacres destroyed the handgun and semiauto long gun communities in the UK, for example. Finland itself may have major restrictions imposed after the latest school shooting.

And Somallia may have strict gun laws, as Iraq in fact does these days, its just those places are hellholes where nobody cares about the law :) Actually, I understand that is the way it is in the Phillipines, from a poster on this board, except the government there amnesties otherwise illegal machine guns at times.

ckmark
11-13-08, 10:16
NFA, The most unconstitutional act in the history of our great nation.

BlueForce
11-13-08, 10:34

So maybe we just go ahead and finish taking it over and make it into the New Frontier.

rmecapn
11-13-08, 10:50
NFA, The most unconstitutional act in the history of our great nation.

Which means absolutely squat! It's the law and it's enforced.

Celer
11-13-08, 13:19
There are friendly folks south of the border (North Mexico) who can get just about anything you're looking for at a price. I'd recommend making friends with someone in law enforcement as opposed to someone off the street/in a bar.
Couple this with the ability to donate to certain LE personalities in the area of your 'vacation home' (choose a pro-gringo subdivision near the beach if possible), and you'll never be bothered about your cut-rate home defense arsenal.

With the recent uptick in criminal activity, prices are bound to be lower than when i was there. Sad part is that Mexican M203's aren't hard to find, but M406/433's aren't exactly widely available.

And if you're adventurous or also looking for a new wife, there's always beautiful Cali Colombia.

Ed L.
11-13-08, 14:36
Ed L., very good point. Finland itself is that way, along with most of Europe

This is a pet peeve of mine. I can't tell you how many gunowners I have heard say something like if things got bad in the US they would move to New Zealand, as though that is some type of gunowners paradise because with the proper licenses you can own at least semiauto military type rifles. New Zealand is also a country where you need a license to buy any firearm and longarms must be kept unloaded and in a locked cabinet with ammo in a separate locked place. Forget about using them for self defense. It is also a country where a gunstore employee was prosecuted for shooting a machette armed robber.

Given the choice I would rather live someplace where I could not own semiauto military type guns but at least keep a firearm loaded for home defense than someplace where I could own selectfire firearms but not use anything for home defense.

BlueForce
11-13-08, 14:41
Given the choice I would rather live someplace where I could not own semiauto military type guns but at least keep a firearm loaded for home defense than someplace where I could own selectfire firearms but not use anything for home defense.

99% of the time, our SOF use their M4s in semi-auto mode in combat areas. You're really not losing much useful capability without select fire.

kukang
11-13-08, 20:32
Where is the guy from the Philippines when you need him?

Hahaha! You guys are too funny. But seriously, we do have gun laws in the Philippines and they are very strict for the matter. Getting caught with an illegal firearm translates to some serious jail time. On the other hand, it is very easy to acquire firearms licenses as well as carry permits. In fact, today is the last day of an amnesty period wherein you can license any firearm you want - from pistols to M16's.

bigthunder223
11-14-08, 02:04
What about Brazil?Or any other country in South or central America?

Ed L.
11-14-08, 02:11
Not Brazil

The best gun most civilians can legally own there is a lever action rifle in 44 special and a revolver in 38 special or below.

They also had a referendum to ban civilian firearms (not sure if it was all firearms or just handguns).

Not to mention violent crime and kidknappings that dwarfs anything in the US.

Gutshot John
11-14-08, 07:53
I seem to remember that you can own full auto in Italy.

IIRC you can only own 10-round magazines.

Dave L.
11-14-08, 08:06
Probably be an insurgent and labeled as a terrorist. What do ya think?

Yes- I would most likely be called the same.

Iraqgunz
11-14-08, 08:12
Something to remember about Europe. Though certain countries at this time may allow you to own certain weapns all European countries that have signed onto the Schengen Agreement have to revamp their gun laws as well. When I was living in Germany I used to go to Switzerland to check out the gun shops there. It was unreal. I saw racks of AK's, M60 machine guns, M16's with M203's on them and suppressors as well (Brueger and Thomet is a Swiss company) but alot has changed there are now alot of restrictions and I believe that full-auto is no longer allowed for private purchase.

I know that the laws can also differ depending on which Canton you live in. On Dec 01 2008 I believe that Switzerland must also come in line with the Schengen Agreement as well.

If anyone here thinks that they can simply run from the problem they are mistaken. Things may not be perfect and Obama may not be who we want in office, but it is our duty to keep the government in check and ensure that they do not walk over our rights. Whether it be the right freedom of speech and religion or the right to be secure in our homes. We cannot simply bury our heads in the sand.

Bolt_Overide
11-14-08, 21:08
99% of the time, our SOF use their M4s in semi-auto mode in combat areas. You're really not losing much useful capability without select fire.

+1

In all practicality, if you dont have something belt fed, and intend to lay a base of fire for maneuvers, full auto is a waste of ammo.

bigthunder223
11-15-08, 02:59
It would appear that the only places on this Earth you can own any weapon you choose are violent, third world countries. Laws governing ownership of firearms may exist in these places, but the means of enforcing those laws do not.
The infection is spreading.The UN is an absolute "goat rope". Allowing such an organization to influence any Government is absurd.
I believe the USA is still the last frontier.

Iraqgunz
11-15-08, 03:59
I think you are being too hard on the U.N. I mean look they have "peacekeepers" in the Congo right now protecting people right?????

Didn't they also send "peackeepers" to the former Yugoslavia too? :rolleyes:

I think I remember them going to Rwanda and helping as well. :rolleyes:

It would appear that the only places on this Earth you can own any weapon you choose are violent, third world countries. Laws governing ownership of firearms may exist in these places, but the means of enforcing those laws do not.
The infection is spreading.The UN is an absolute "goat rope". Allowing such an organization to influence any Government is absurd.
I believe the USA is still the last frontier.

aalmcc4
11-15-08, 11:49
What you need to keep in mind is that even with something such as the NFA, the Clinton AWB and Brady bills etc, we here in the US believe in the right to self defense.

While when asked many non gunowners may be in favor of "gun restrictions" and "assault weapon bans", an overwhelming majority of them would also agree that we have a right to self defense in this counrty.

There is no such thing in most other countries. They have no right to self defense.

As much as I love my ARs, I can protect my family from anything that comes up the pike just fine with a .357 revolver and a Rem 870 12 gauge.