PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a BOB in maximum airline carry-on size.

G19A3
07-04-19, 16:29
I plan to travel extensively very soon, including international. Currently, I rarely travel by airport, so please ignore some of my ignorant assumptions.

I’m looking to buy a knapsack to totally eliminate check-in-baggage. Requirements:

- Comfortable two-shoulder strap knapsack
- MAXIMUM size allowable for standard airline carry-on (incl. international)
- waterproof, rainproof
- Prefer dark gray/gray colors, but black would be ok too. (Or suggest other colors. I don’t particularly care for FDE or browns)
- Molle strips (To allow expandability)
- Mil-spec durability/quality
- Silent zippers would be a super big plus, but not required
- "Secure" TSA-spec lockable, in case I do want to travel with a pistol, via check-in-baggage
- Any other suggestions from those who travel often, including attachable/detachable molle accessories. Please suggest if open-top only (stronger?) or full-open sides are best.

While primary purpose is international/domestic airline travel, I plan to use the knapsack for other duties to maximize flexibility and minimize initial cost.

I guess what best describes what I’m looking for is a bug out bag in the biggest size allowable to be qualified as a carry-on on international airlines.

I may edit the above requirements as suggestions roll in.

Please include links if possible.

Thanks everyone.

just a scout
07-04-19, 17:05
Goruck GR2 or 3. 2 has more internal organization, 3 has more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuckman
07-04-19, 18:19
Goruck GR2 or 3. 2 has more internal organization, 3 has more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, definitely a Goruck, I prefer the 1....

Coal Dragger
07-04-19, 18:48
Can’t speak for Goruck products, but I can about Red Oxx out of Billings, MT.

I use one of their older RR oriented rucks everyday I’m working and have for the past 7 years or so. I’ve had the same bag for that entire time and it’s only now showing a bit of wear. I pretty much live out of it on my trips, and it gets treated horribly. Toss it into my truck, drag it onto and off of locomotives, toss it in 3rd party transport to the hotel, rinse and repeat in reverse order for the trip home.

Prior to my current bag I destroyed pretty much everything else on a yearly or every other year basis. So I’m impressed with the durability of the Red Oxx bag, and my next carry on luggage will be something from them. Probably this:
https://m.redoxx.com/Red-Oxx-Gear-Catalog/Sky-Train/91019/13/Product

seb5
07-04-19, 21:35
I use this and have for years, used an older model for a decade and replaced it with this

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/ironcloud-adventure-travel-bag?variant=27343309960

zombiescometh
07-04-19, 23:22
Was looking for a similar option. Unfortunately it’s hard to find a bag that has everything you want so you will have to make some compromises depending on budget and what features you like more.

For instance you can get a decent rain cover for your backpack for a lot cheaper then what the waterproof option would be

If you want to travel with a pistol you will definitely need an approved hard case and possibly another bag to carry on the plane or use to put your pistol case in.

Definitely want to stay around the 40 liter size. Just be aware that while that is the size for domestic flights a lot of international flights have smaller size limits and less overhead bins.

I also bring a foldable daypack or similar so that I don’t have to carry the main bag everywhere.

As I prefer bags with a non tactical look and being comfortable I ended up going with the osprey farpoint 40 as it was also in my budget. Its still going strong since 2014.

I can’t speak towards the other bags suggested except that goruck bags are very highly recommended by lots of people. But I would offer caution towards duffel bags that have had backpack straps added as they tend to not be that comfortable.

But you really need to find and try out what’s comfortable for you and meets your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk