PDA

View Full Version : Sights options for M&P 2.0 compact and shield

maximus83
07-05-19, 19:38
Recently updated to the M&P M2.0 for my CCW's: a Compact 4" and a Shield. They are so improved vs Gen1, only item I plan to upgrade is sights. What I'm looking for: a big bright red/orange front dot (tritium or FO is fine--have been running a red FO on my 1911 commander for a couple years and love it), and preferably a plain black rear with a u-notch sight cut-out.

Top candidates:

10-8 Performance. Hits all the features and this sight set has a great track record. Reported to be tight to fit, but I have a good sight pusher.
Wilson/Vickers Elite. Also nails the features list. Has options that include a plain black u-shaped rear sight, and a red front F/O.
Dawson Precision Charger. Plain black rear, but a square cut-out, and red F/O front. These get a lot of rave reviews for accuracy.
Trijicon HD XR. This is the most appealing option I've seen with a tritium front; and it does look awesome. Only minor drawback is tritium lamps in the rear. If there's a plain black rear sight from another brand that matches up with the HD XR front sight height and width-wise, I'd look at that.

Does anybody have firsthand feedback on pros/cons of these sights--on M&P's or even Glocks is ok? And if you've used two or more of these sets, comparative comments would be really useful.

RWH24
07-06-19, 19:47
I have HD's on my Shield, XR's were not out then. Wife's Shield has HD/XR's all in Orange.
My M&P 2.0 Compact wears HD/XR Orange. Sig 226 and a couple of Glock Gen 5's do too.
The Ameriglo AGENTS from Brownells are fine too. U shape rear and BIG Orange up front.
You can get a .140" or a .125" wide front blade. Like an HD vs HD/XR. They are less $$$ than Trijicons.
Trijicon supplies the tritium for Ameriglo. FBI new Glock 17/19M has Ameriglo sights.
I have 1 set of Ameriglo BOLD which came on a factory GLOCK Blue Label and 1 set of AGENTS.
On a G17 Gen 5 I sold had Wilson Combat rear and their .200" tall frt sight Ameriglo supplies for the Paul Howe Spec Ed G19/26 from WC.
I thought the Wilson rear sight U was narrow on the Glock, BUTT not so on my WC 1911 9mm 5"
I tried the WC green FO front, could not see it in certain lighting so I got the Orange frt tritium sight.
I prefer the Trijicon's, but for the money, Ameriglo works.

Monday, July 8th, I will receive my Trijicon sight set, fiber optic front from Bud's Gun SHop. $71.00 and $$ for shipping. Best price around.
It has red fiber insert in it. That will go on a Glock 21 Gen 4 45acp. Friend is using them and liked them really well on a G20/21 IDR which one.

maximus83
07-07-19, 20:29
Good tip on the Trijicon Fiber option. Great to see that they've moved to plain black rear. Also looks like narrower dimensions with a 0.125" rear square notch, 0.110" front post, 0.06" front fiber. For me this narrows down the options to these, and the Wilson/Vicker Elite sites with plain black rear and red fiber front. The Vickers sights have a 0.145" rear u-notch optimized for low-light, 0.125" front post, 0.0585" front fiber.

The Vickers design on the rear looks slightly more appealing just based on pictures. Would help to hear input from anyone who's tried the Wilson/Vickers set, or the Trijicon Fibers on a Glock or M&P. Especially like to know details around the visibility of the front dot, the width of the front posts good/bad, and your sight picture given the width and shape of the rear sight notch. My indoor pistol range has free rentals for members, with a little luck they'll have rental pistols with these sets installed.

RKB Armory
07-08-19, 12:40
The Frank Proctor Y-notch Sight Set is worth a look. The front is fiber-optic. The rear notch is all black, and is "Y" shaped. It is a unique take on the width of the rear sight notch. I really like it.

tn1911
07-08-19, 18:36
Recently updated to the M&P M2.0 for my CCW's: a Compact 4" and a Shield. They are so improved vs Gen1, only item I plan to upgrade is sights. What I'm looking for: a big bright red/orange front dot

Trijicon HD's in orange.

Don't look back.

jpgm
07-08-19, 20:13
Take a look at the TFX Pro's from Truglo. I put a set on my duty gun. They are really quick getting on to target.

jpgm

RWH24
07-09-19, 10:48
WELL, I received my Trijicon FO yesterday. Installed and shot at every door knob and fixtures in the house, DRY FIRE.
My eyes are so used to HD/XR and my bifocals don't allow me a sharp sight picture. Lesson learned, new purchase soon.

I should have paid closer attention to the rear sight notch size.

maximus83
07-09-19, 11:52
WELL, I received my Trijicon FO yesterday. Installed and shot at every door knob and fixtures in the house, DRY FIRE.
My eyes are so used to HD/XR and my bifocals don't allow me a sharp sight picture. Lesson learned, new purchase soon.

I should have paid closer attention to the rear sight notch size.

Sorry you had to learn that the hard way, but thanks for posting the info. A good tip for me, as I have 20/15 at distance but the same issue within 24." I rechecked the rear sight notch width on the HD XR for the M&P, they say 0.169" which is really wide, front post at 0.122", and I couldn't find what the lamp width is. But bottom line, that's a big difference between the front and rear widths, plus with the bright lamp, it should help folks with presbyopia. The Wilson set has a better front-rear width differential than the Trijicon FO, but not as good as the HD XR. So it's down to the Wilsons, the HD XR, and now I'm gonna reconsider the 10-8--because with those you can choose a wider rear site notch at 0.156" to pair with an average or narrow front post for the FO.

OldState
07-09-19, 15:40

Not sure what this combo is called but I think it is sold as a set now. When I got them it was a secret menu item.

Large Trijicon tritium dot up front and a rear with very small tritium inserts that disappear in day light. It’s almost as fast as the fiber optic front and solid U notch I have in my gaming guns.

TWR
07-09-19, 21:29
I have one M&P set up with Dawson FO's (match gun), and 2 set up with HD XR fronts and Dawson plain black rears. This combo works best for me.

RWH24
07-09-19, 23:46
Sorry you had to learn that the hard way, but thanks for posting the info. A good tip for me, as I have 20/15 at distance but the same issue within 24." I rechecked the rear sight notch width on the HD XR for the M&P, they say 0.169" which is really wide, front post at 0.122", and I couldn't find what the lamp width is. But bottom line, that's a big difference between the front and rear widths, plus with the bright lamp, it should help folks with presbyopia. The Wilson set has a better front-rear width differential than the Trijicon FO, but not as good as the HD XR. So it's down to the Wilsons, the HD XR, and now I'm gonna reconsider the 10-8--because with those you can choose a wider rear site notch at 0.156" to pair with an average or narrow front post for the FO.

Well, Today I ordered HD/XR Orange for the G21. While ordering I found a set of Trijicon HD/XR for 17, 19, 34, 45 MOS models. Both on the way.

Looked at Dawson and 10-8 before final decision. Tried finding a rear sight to work with the Trijicon FO front at .200 tall. Bud's again and Amazon are supplying the sights.

Anyone want a try with the Trij FO sight for G20/21?

maximus83
07-11-19, 13:57
^After research and this thread, I decided same and order a set of of the HD/XR for my M&P Compact, since I have a sight pusher for those and can install easily myself. I'll see what I get for accuracy and any POA/POI issues at various distances at the range, and also test in different lighting conditions at home. If I like these, I'll add them on my 2nd Compact and on the new Shield. Have seen a few scattered reports of POA vs POI issues especially up close, but this does not seem to be a majority or consensus view, so I'll try the XR's.

Still not 100% on the trade-offs between tritium and FO front sight. I've gone to FO front on all my 1911's and love those, but they are no longer my CCW's. I've done limited low light testing at home with a flashlight and in different lighting conditions, and I see the FO's fine in all cases, even when using the light which washes out the FO sight color but you still get the outline--just as with a tritium or any other front sight when using a light.

What swung me to try the HD/XR:
* Some research on the trade-offs of a front FO sight, versus a combined Tritium + Neon outlight front like the HD/XR. See this guy's testing/pics (https://www.jwramp.com/news/pistol-sights-under-various-lighting-conditions) as an example.
* Some discussion about the same trade-offs between front FO vs Tritium + Neon front, for example this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?208273-Do-you-consider-night-sights-essential-on-a-carry-gun&highlight=fiber+optic+vs+tritium).
* What I think tentatively (but will wait to add the HD/XR to my other pistols until I see how this set does):
- A front sight that includes tritium is not essential for a CCW. There are other things that can work, like a front FO, or even brass, even a white dot sight. IMHO, the 2 leading options are a front FO or a front tritium + neon outline. There are enough experienced shooters who work in low-light conditions who have demonstrated that this is the case.
- However....from what I can see, thought it's not essential it DOES look like a front sight that includes tritium, AND some kind of daytime visibility enhancer like a neon outline, gives improved visibility in some conditions vs a plain FO. If you have a good tritium + neon outline front, it should be good-to-go in all the same conditions that a fiber optic is (daytime shooting, or nighttime shooting using a WML or flashlight out front, etc.). Under those conditions, neither of these sights would have much advantage. But there are a few cases of low light use where you CAN see your target, and you CAN see an FO front, but you can see a Tritium + Neon front slightly better. At least that's my working theory, based on some pics and discussion, I'll see how it pans out.

RWH24
07-11-19, 15:12
Today I received my HD XR Orange replacements for my G21 I had previously installed the FO's.

I ALSO received the Trijicon HD XR Orange for the 17/19/25 MOS slides. Now I basically have all my pistols with the same sight.

The Ameriglo Agents have a thin frt sight like HD XR's are. Seperate front sight I later found. Even my G48 has Ameriglo's with a .125 frt sight.

My M&P 1.0 with an RMR has Ameriglo Black Suppressor sights.

Watrdawg
07-11-19, 15:39
I have the HD XR's on my M&P2.0 Compact but yellow/green. I love them!

RWH24
07-11-19, 23:29
Here they are, Trijicin HD XR Orange for the Glock MOS slides, 17/19/45

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24426566/414256927.jpg

Today I received my HD XR Orange replacements for my G21 I had previously installed the FO's.

I ALSO received the Trijicon HD XR Orange for the 17/19/25 MOS slides. Now I basically have all my pistols with the same sight.

The Ameriglo Agents have a thin frt sight like HD XR's are. Seperate front sight I later found. Even my G48 has Ameriglo's with a .125 frt sight.

My M&P 1.0 with an RMR has Ameriglo Black Suppressor sights.