PDA

View Full Version : Obama Turning his Back on Poland

BlueForce
11-12-08, 08:14
Poland president: Biden says no missile decision
11/11
Associated Press

The Polish president says U.S. Vice President-elect Joe Biden told him the incoming administration will assess George W. Bush's missile defense plans before deciding whether to stick with them.

In a statement posted on his Web site, President Lech Kaczynski said that he was told by Biden in a phone call Monday that any decision President-elect Barack Obama makes "will depend on the assessment of a national security team, which at this time is being drawn up, as well as the effectiveness and the value of the project."

Obama said this year that the system would require much more vigorous testing to ensure it would work and justify the billions of dollars it would cost.

There was no immediate comment from Biden's office in the United States. A message left with his office by The Associated Press on Tuesday, a holiday, was not immediately returned.

Kaczynski issued a statement over the weekend saying Obama vowed to continue with the multibillion dollar missile defense project pushed by Bush. But an Obama aide quickly denied that claim on Saturday, saying Obama made no such commitment. (c) Associated Press

Why is this not a surprise?

Business_Casual
11-12-08, 10:49
Hello? Calling Neville Chamberlain...

M_P

Submariner
11-12-08, 10:50
Hello? Calling Neville Chamberlain...

M_P

How about Ike and Hungary in '56?

thopkins22
11-12-08, 15:58
How about not our fight?

CarlosDJackal
11-12-08, 16:07
How about not our fight?

Right on bro!! This is just like Germany's invasion of Poland or Japan's incursion into China in the 1930s all over again. We don't need to worry about it - it's not going to affect us in the least!! ;)

How about now that Poland is an ally that we stand with them as they are standing with us? I can't believe just how pussyfied our country has gotten!! :rolleyes:

Cagemonkey
11-12-08, 16:17
Thats unfortunate considering the Poles and Eastern European countries are about the only allies we have besides the Brits, Aussies and Canadians. I think we should redeploy US troops in Germany to Poland. The Germans don't appreciate us and the Poles would probably love to have us.

mattjmcd
11-12-08, 16:32
How about not our fight?

That's a tempting worldview to adopt.

Still, would you say the same if the question centered on Germany instead of Poland? Because if a newly aggressive Russia pulls Poland back under its influence, then Germany might be next in the crosshairs.

Also, the missle shield in Poland/Czech Republic is meant to defeat inbound threats from Iran at least as much as it is meant to deter Russia. That is, IMO, pretty important as well.

DocGKR
11-12-08, 16:36
I think we should redeploy US troops in Germany to Poland.

Now there is an interesting idea.

Cagemonkey
11-12-08, 16:48
If Poland falls back to the Russians/Soviets, Germany would love to keep us there and might even suddenly show some appreciation. The missle shield will probably be dropped by Obama or bargained away with Russia in order to get cooperation against Iran. We may have something up our sleeve though. The Navy's new antiballistic missle system is suppose to be near operational. Deployed Navy ships in the Mediterranean and Baltic might work. Though I'm no expert.

Leonidas
11-12-08, 17:57
We already turned our backs on Poland during WWII.
How would we feel if Russia or China was building a missile defense system in Canada or Mexico?

signal4l
11-12-08, 18:04
How about not our fight?

Iraq wasnt Polands fight. They fought anyway. We should remember that.

I dont think BHO/Biden have a pair of balls between the two of them. Fighting doesnt seem to be very high on thier list of priorities. No surprise.

BlueForce
11-12-08, 18:29
Remember BHO's first reaction was to lash out at Georgia. Maybe its just instinctive to stand up for the Motherland.

Sry0fcr
11-12-08, 18:33
How about not our fight?

Who said anything about a fight? It's a missile defense system to defend us.

Abraxas
11-12-08, 18:34
Poland president: Biden says no missile decision
11/11
Associated Press

The Polish president says U.S. Vice President-elect Joe Biden told him the incoming administration will assess George W. Bush's missile defense plans before deciding whether to stick with them.

In a statement posted on his Web site, President Lech Kaczynski said that he was told by Biden in a phone call Monday that any decision President-elect Barack Obama makes "will depend on the assessment of a national security team, which at this time is being drawn up, as well as the effectiveness and the value of the project."

Obama said this year that the system would require much more vigorous testing to ensure it would work and justify the billions of dollars it would cost.

There was no immediate comment from Biden's office in the United States. A message left with his office by The Associated Press on Tuesday, a holiday, was not immediately returned.

Kaczynski issued a statement over the weekend saying Obama vowed to continue with the multibillion dollar missile defense project pushed by Bush. But an Obama aide quickly denied that claim on Saturday, saying Obama made no such commitment. (c) Associated Press

Why is this not a surprise?
Pretty soon we will not have any allies, and for good reason. We are far too fickle:(

thopkins22
11-12-08, 19:58
I forget that Poland went to Iraq with us...it softens my opinion slightly. The idea that the Russia is somehow planning on becoming a threat again, or that this will do anything other than inflame the situation, is still, in my opinion, quite flawed. Europe would be equally at risk, and seeing as they are quite the wealthy continent these days, MAYBE JUST MAYBE, they could fund it themselves. Or is it the responsibility of the American taxpayer to save the world with his wallet?

cz7
11-12-08, 20:51
as goes history it was said be care if America says friend to a nation watch out for the dagger from the back side ! we have some very bad people in the state department and now bad leadership too wow a mess!

mattjmcd
11-12-08, 21:03
I forget that Poland went to Iraq with us...it softens my opinion slightly. The idea that the Russia is somehow planning on becoming a threat again, or that this will do anything other than inflame the situation, is still, in my opinion, quite flawed. Europe would be equally at risk, and seeing as they are quite the wealthy continent these days, MAYBE JUST MAYBE, they could fund it themselves. Or is it the responsibility of the American taxpayer to save the world with his wallet?

Respectfully, I have to ask- has the EU (or any single European entity) made a commitment to such a technologically daunting military task in the past 20 years or more..? To the extent that they DO invest in defense procurement, the numbers of high-tech units actually fielded are small (Typhoon, etc). The Euros cannot even project power on a large scale for humanitarian missions like the tsunami or the quake in Pakistan.

Gutshot John
11-12-08, 21:05
Yep, it's really f*(&%d up.

Unfortunately he won the election, he can manage foreign policy as he sees fit.

The upside is that Obama's ultimately responsible. If something bad happens in Poland, it will be placed at his feet.

Funny how that knife cuts both ways.

thopkins22
11-12-08, 22:21
Respectfully, I have to ask- has the EU (or any single European entity) made a commitment to such a technologically daunting military task in the past 20 years or more..? To the extent that they DO invest in defense procurement, the numbers of high-tech units actually fielded are small (Typhoon, etc). The Euros cannot even project power on a large scale for humanitarian missions like the tsunami or the quake in Pakistan.

They have not, we've been obligated to protect them(at huge costs to taxpayers for a long time.) Russia is not the USSR, if Europe is ever going to step up the plate and provide for it's own defense, what better time than now? They have had absolutely zero reason to spend their own funds, when we've been eager to do it for them.

That's all, I'm not suggesting that we completely abandon all of our allies...I'm suggesting we treat them as such. An alliance is supposed to go two ways. The way it exists today is "defensive welfare." Does that copywrite belong to me now?;)