PDA

View Full Version : M4 handguard light mount.

Akoni
11-03-06, 13:20
What have you used that worked well for mounting a light directly to M4 handgurds? I'm thinking one of those short MI pic rail pieces with some epoxy should make for a very strong/secure mount. Any experiences?

Also for those not running a VFG, what position have you chosen to mount your light and why? I think I'll try 6 o'clock with a click tail cap and see how that goes. On my carbine with a rail and VFG, the tape switch makes it a no brainer but I have become disenchanted with the added stuff involved with that type setup and am losing my affection for VFG's all together.

rob_s
11-03-06, 13:34
I'm also planning to attach a light to M4 handguards I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

On my railed gun without fore-grip I run the light at 9 o'clock.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/171062/1926930ARComplete.jpg

nyeti
11-03-06, 23:35
I run a Surefire scout light in the 10 o'clock position on my KISS carbine. I find this to be the easiest place to activate the light with a finger, and its out of the way for most activities. I used a small piece of rail screwed into the forearm.

LOKNLOD
11-04-06, 09:32
I'm also planning to attach a light to M4 handguards I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

On my railed gun without fore-grip I run the light at 9 o'clock.
[image]

Rob how do you operate that light? Can you hit it with your thumb in a magwell hold?

Robb Jensen
11-04-06, 09:50
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/f0eddba1.jpg

I used an $18 Streamlight plastic piece of rail on my wifes very light carbine. She can hit it with her support hand even with small short fingers.

It requires drilling two holes through the upper handguard for screws. It's made for this purpose. IM me if you want the part number from Streamlight. I'm off today but will be back on Monday for the part number.

Akoni
11-04-06, 11:54
Rob how do you operate that light? Can you hit it with your thumb in a magwell hold?

The thumb is used in that set-up. If you're adding a piece of rail to M4 handguards, you can't get that exact placement due to the seem in the handguards. I'm going to try 6 o'clock first since it requires no mod to the handguard and see how it goes. Pro's for the 0600 placement is that it's more streamlined and you will get less "shadowing" since you bulb is closer to the muzzle. Cons for 0600 placement; could mean a different support hand placement depending on what you normally do with your support hand.

rob_s
11-04-06, 12:45
Akoni has it right, I hold the magwell and hit it with my left thumb.

rob_s
11-04-06, 12:48
I'm going to try 6 o'clock first since it requires no mod to the handguard and see how it goes. Pro's for the 0600 placement is that it's more streamlined and you will get less "shadowing" since you bulb is closer to the muzzle. Cons for 0600 placement; could mean a different support hand placement depending on what you normally do with your support hand.
I'm thinking of going with a 7:30-ish placement and using a TLR1 or Surefire X200 pistol light. I'm going to keep it kind of far back and see if I can still use me magwell hold and activate it with my left thumb.

The first order of business for me is to order the light. I'm going to then use rubberbands to hold it in various places before I commit to a location. I'm also mounting mine to Colt M4 handguards, not the skinny carbine handguards.

Akoni
11-04-06, 13:13
I'm thinking of going with a 7:30-ish placement and using a TLR1 or Surefire X200 pistol light. I'm going to keep it kind of far back and see if I can still use me magwell hold and activate it with my left thumb.

The first order of business for me is to order the light. I'm going to then use rubberbands to hold it in various places before I commit to a location. I'm also mounting mine to Colt M4 handguards, not the skinny carbine handguards.

I'm going to be using an old 6p I already have. I just finished messing around and velcroing it to the handguards....1000-1030 is just perfect for me. With my normal magwell hold I don't even have to cock my thumb in any odd manner to access the click switch.

R Moran
11-05-06, 03:45
Akoni,
I've always been leary of lights mounted directly to the handguards. Basically, you have just the strength of the handguards securing the light. I've seen alot of cracked guards, and I would think one good wack and you could possibly loose your light.

'course I could be wrong, and I did see one of Paul Howes carbines set up that way.

Bob