PDA

View Full Version : Custom 14.5 AR Precision Build - CLE, FCD, SOLGW, KAC

Furbyballer
07-10-19, 08:16
Whats up guys, Just wanted to share a new build that I will be putting together. I'm trying to push a 14.5 length barrel to its max potential with a suppressor while maintaining sub moa 10 round group accuracy. Below are the specs for the build which should be completed in the next 2 weeks or so depending on my work schedule haha.

Upper
Forward Controls Design V2 Upper Receiver with their ejection port cover and low drag forward assist (really excited to try out this upper with their new vent feature for suppressed use)

^^^^^ this got swapped out for a zev upper as the barrel fit on the receiver was loose.

Compass Lake Engineering custom spun krienger SPR profile blank in 14.5in, intermediate gas system speced specifically for suppressed use, 1-7.7 twist, fluted, and chambered in their CLE match chamber
CLE intermediate gas tube and gas block
Forward Controls Design Carrier with matched/head spaced bolt from CLE
KAC 13in URX 4 M Lok Rail
Badger Ambi charging handle
KAC Flash Hider for KAC qdc suppressor

Lower
SOLGW Loyal Nine Stripped Lower
Forward Controls design enhanced lower parts kit with all of their extended mag release and catch goodies
FCD Castle nut and end plate
Geissele SD-E trigger
V7 Weapon works A5 receiver tube
Spinco green spring
a5 buffer tbd
magpul STR
ergo tactical deluxe grip

Here she is in all her glory! I will be doing a test fire, barrel break in, and zero session tomorrow.

I will post updates in this thread as well as final proof groups once I get this bad boy completed. It will have a leupold mk5 3.6-18, badger enhanced harris bipod, offset T2, and KAC QDC Suppressor.

hazmatt
07-10-19, 10:14
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

opngrnd
07-10-19, 20:18
Interested in how the barrel performs and what ammo it likes. A 20" Kreiger barrel is on my wish list for a "someday" precision build.

titsonritz
07-11-19, 03:27
Sounds like an all out build, look forward to some photos.

Furbyballer
07-11-19, 06:24
Interested in how the barrel performs and what ammo it likes. A 20" Kreiger barrel is on my wish list for a "someday" precision build.

I hope it likes the heavier rounds, and in particular 77 tmks. I have a couple large batches of my favorite factory precision ammo and which ever ammo the barrel likes, that will become the zero constant ammo from the same batch so I can track group size through the life of the barrel.

Sounds like an all out build, look forward to some photos.

Yup, that was the idea. I had most of the components show up yesterday. I'm just waiting for my FCD order, my lower to show up at my FFL, and my barrel to arrive from CLE.

everready73
07-11-19, 12:02
That is one fine build.

Parts list looks great, smart thought out choices.

Looking forward to the results

noonesshowmonkey
07-11-19, 13:54
Depending on the barrel profile, that is going to be heavy! But, badass.

I've always wanted to try out a fully FCD'd rifle. Their design philosophy reads and appears to be incredibly well thought out... Currently, the only modified stuff on my lowers are Seekins short throw ambi safeties (they are tha shizzy, mah bizzies) and G triggers.

I am curious to see the barrel before installation, and to find out what kinds of groups you get out of it. And, once you find a load, the recipe.

Furbyballer
07-11-19, 15:50
Depending on the barrel profile, that is going to be heavy! But, badass.

I've always wanted to try out a fully FCD'd rifle. Their design philosophy reads and appears to be incredibly well thought out... Currently, the only modified stuff on my lowers are Seekins short throw ambi safeties (they are tha shizzy, mah bizzies) and G triggers.

I am curious to see the barrel before installation, and to find out what kinds of groups you get out of it. And, once you find a load, the recipe.

Barrel should be less than 30oz more like 28 according to CLE due to the fluting and not going with the AEM collar.

nightchief
07-12-19, 12:06
Barrel should be less than 30oz more like 28 according to CLE due to the fluting and not going with the AEM collar.

We really need some pix of your build!

Furbyballer
07-12-19, 13:25
We really need some pix of your build!

I hope to have all of the parts in one place next week. I expect I will have updates at that time. All parts have been ordered and most of them have arrived. Just waiting on the last key parts to arrive before the build starts.

Jsp10477
07-25-19, 20:34
This sounds like an awesome build. Ive been thinking about a 14.5 custom barrel for a coyote rig. You’ll be happy with the Krieger. Mine shoots the Hornady 62 gr bthp, 69gr smk & tmk, 73 gr Bergers, 77 gr Nosler cc, smk, & tmk in tiny groups. I have some good barrels and my Krieger shoots more bullet/powder combos tighter than any other barrel I’ve ever owned. Franks work is top notch. I built a 20” rifle with a Bartlein he turned. It did not disappoint.

Furbyballer
08-06-19, 06:51
Update - I turned over all the parts to my gunsmith last Friday. I hope to have the completed gun by this weekend or next weekend!

Snyyder
08-06-19, 22:03
Awesome. I'm working on a 14.5 accuracy focused build as well (primarily for 77gr BH), with the same design considerations. Building around a Centurion Arms 14.5 Recce barrel though. I like the concept and look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Furbyballer
08-07-19, 07:04
So I got an update last night from my gun smith. Apparently my CLE barrel is extremely loose in my FCD V2 upper, to the point it can be heard physically rattling when mated to the receiver and their is no friction between the two at all. So we also got a stripped aero receiver as well and it was slightly snugger but still not where I want that fitment to be. Now Im not saying its FCD's fault for putting out a bad receiver yet as it could be the Barrel. I have a zev and bcm stripped upper as well to test fit the barrel in on friday. If those receivers also have a loose fit then its the barrel and I will need to contact CLE for a way forward.

everready73
08-07-19, 09:22
So I got an update last night from my gun smith. Apparently my CLE barrel is extremely loose in my FCD V2 upper, to the point it can be heard physically rattling when mated to the receiver and their is no friction between the two at all. So we also got a stripped aero receiver as well and it was slightly snugger but still not where I want that fitment to be. Now Im not saying its FCD's fault for putting out a bad receiver yet as it could be the Barrel. I have a zev and bcm stripped upper as well to test fit the barrel in on friday. If those receivers also have a loose fit then its the barrel and I will need to contact CLE for a way forward.

That sucks man. BCM is known for very tight fit, so if it is loos in that i would be looking at the barrel. Anything your smith can measure with calipers?

Not sure who makes the FCD uppers, maybe CMT as they make their rail i believe. What i do know is they will take care of you immediately if something is out of spec. Same with Compass lake.

@Duffy any thoughts?

Furbyballer
08-07-19, 11:23
That sucks man. BCM is known for very tight fit, so if it is loos in that i would be looking at the barrel. Anything your smith can measure with calipers?

Not sure who makes the FCD uppers, maybe CMT as they make their rail i believe. What i do know is they will take care of you immediately if something is out of spec. Same with Compass lake.

@Duffy any thoughts?

Ive already been in contact with Roger. If the zev and bcm uppers fit well then Roger already told me he would take care of it. If they are still loose, then I will contact compass lake and we will see where that goes.

Furbyballer
08-10-19, 16:56
Rifle has been finished! I will update page 1 as well. I went with a zev upper as it was tight and fit the Solgw L9 receiver extremely well. I will test fire, barrel break in, and zero tomorrow at ESS as they are the closest 100 yds range to me currently.

I had my gunsmith measure the FCD receiver and it was 1.001 while my barrel from CLE was .998. The zev was .999 you wouldn’t think 3 thousandths or 1 thousandths would make a difference but it does. Bcm upper was also .998 but the zev flowed just that much better than the bcm and the finish on the zev is top notch.

everready73
08-10-19, 18:14
Glad you got it worked out. Makes sense the Zev fit well to the SOLGW they are their own

Looking forward to results

noonesshowmonkey
08-11-19, 11:58

Dr. Krieger approves of your barrel choice, and finds your overall build very stimulating.

Furbyballer
08-11-19, 14:28

Dr. Krieger approves of your barrel choice, and finds your overall build very stimulating.

Rifle functions great suppressed but will not load the follow up round unsuppressed which was to be expected. Extremely accurate and almost zero gas to the face. No rear bag as I didn’t want to post groups until I can do it justice but even without a rear bag I was printing sub moa groups. Very pleased.

Clint
08-11-19, 15:27
Rifle functions great suppressed but will not load the follow up round unsuppressed which was to be expected. Extremely accurate and almost zero gas to the face. No rear bag as I didn’t want to post groups until I can do it justice but even without a rear bag I was printing sub moa groups. Very pleased.

Thanks for the update.

That function is exactly as expected given the gas system configuration and gas port size.

Furbyballer
08-13-19, 14:00
Thanks for the update.

That function is exactly as expected given the gas system configuration and gas port size.

yup! Im still going to experiment running a titanium bcg and A5H0 and see if that will run unsuppressed haha. Thanks for advice on gas port sizes! Also, interesting tidbit, there is almost zero back pressure and discoloration on my brass when using this set up with my KAC cans. Its amazing.

bravofour
08-24-19, 20:47
I’m assuming your gunsmith pinned/welded the muzzle device?

RHINOWSO
08-24-19, 23:25
I’m assuming your gunsmith pinned/welded the muzzle device?

Nah, I'm sure he's running around with an illegal weapon :rolleyes:

bravofour
08-25-19, 10:22
I’m building a similar setup and was curious who did the work?

Clint
08-25-19, 16:35
The comment about the clean brass is interesting.

This seems to indicate the extra long gas system timing works nicely with the suppressor.

yup! Im still going to experiment running a titanium bcg and A5H0 and see if that will run unsuppressed haha.
Thanks for advice on gas port sizes!
Also, interesting tidbit, there is almost zero back pressure and discoloration on my brass when using this set up with my KAC cans. Its amazing.

everready73
08-25-19, 19:39
I’m building a similar setup and was curious who did the work?

I am not sure who did his but would strongly recommend John Thomas of Retro Arms Works. He does great pin/weld and whatever else you need. You can't even tell mine is pinned without looking closely.

He is cheaper than Adco and others as well

CMP
08-25-19, 20:19
I am not sure who did his but would strongly recommend John Thomas of Retro Arms Works. He does great pin/weld and whatever else you need. You can't even tell mine is pinned without looking closely.

He is cheaper than Adco and others as wellNo only is his work first rate but his turn around time can't be beat.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Furbyballer
08-30-19, 09:21
I get most of my work done at C&R firearms with Jim in northern Virginia currently. Rob is usually slammed and Jim has done excellent work for me. yes it was pinned haha. I checked function on my SBR lower first and then had it pinned after I confirmed function.

everready73
09-11-19, 08:40
You take this out for any groups yet? How is it shooting un-suppressed?

Furbyballer
09-11-19, 13:02
You take this out for any groups yet? How is it shooting un-suppressed?

the gun will not cycle unsuppressed, which is fine since that is how I designed it. I haven't had the time to screw with buffer weight and bcgs etc... to see if I can get it to run without a suppressor. Groups have been fantastic. I shot a 10 round group prone with just a bipod and no rear support that was .65 moa. With rear support bag I think I can get this gun to 10 round .5moa groups.

opngrnd
09-11-19, 13:39
the gun will not cycle unsuppressed, which is fine since that is how I designed it. I haven't had the time to screw with buffer weight and bcgs etc... to see if I can get it to run without a suppressor. Groups have been fantastic. I shot a 10 round group prone with just a bipod and no rear support that was .65 moa. With rear support bag I think I can get this gun to 10 round .5moa groups.

Incredible! What load were you using?

everready73
09-11-19, 18:03
Very impressive for a 10rd group

Furbyballer
09-12-19, 11:46
Incredible! What load were you using?

Fiocchi 77grain 223 otm. It has become my best performing factory round under $1/round.

MQ105
09-12-19, 13:01
Fiocchi 77grain 223 otm. It has become my best performing factory round under $1/round.

Very impressive results.
Have you tried MagTech 77OTM? I'm interested in the comparison. I have had good results with the MagTech (not as good as you) and have not tried the load you use.

Furbyballer
09-12-19, 13:07
Very impressive results.
Have you tried MagTech 77OTM? I'm interested in the comparison. I have had good results with the MagTech (not as good as you) and have not tried the load you use.

magtech groups at just under moa or around 1.25 moa depending on the gun/optic combo that I currently have. Its a great training round I use for all long range ar classes due to economical value and I still get the wind cutting ability of the 77 grain otm. I just ran the magtech at Bill Rapiers hybrid carbine where I took my hodge 14.5 out to 800+ yards with an atacr 1-8 made consistent hits even at 800 on ipsc steel and even 12in circles.

MQ105
09-12-19, 13:53
I appreciate the info. Your results with the MagTech mirror mine. I am thinking of trying the Fiocchi.

maximus83
09-12-19, 16:07

Love the rifle, very well thought-out and gave me a few ideas.

And I'm almost more impressed with your shooting than the rifle. I need to ship my rifles to you to accuracy-test them for me. ;)

shootdr1
09-12-19, 18:19
It looks awesome and solid build! I did not know Compass Lake would make custom profiles and lengths. That is good to know! They were on my list of upcoming builds for my barrel. I have been using a lot of Craddock but I want to try Compass just to compare really. It sounds like a sweet shooter!

maximus83
09-12-19, 18:55
Another place to check out for a precision barrel is Precision Firearms. Mark uses Bartlein or Krieger blanks for his high-end barrels and uppers. He's building me an 18" 6.5G upper around a Krieger. LRRPF52 here on our forum pointed me to PF as a top option for a precision 6.5G upper. Still waiting for mine, but Mark's builds have a pretty stellar reputation for accuracy.

Furbyballer
09-13-19, 06:11
Another place to check out for a precision barrel is Precision Firearms. Mark uses Bartlein or Krieger blanks for his high-end barrels and uppers. He's building me an 18" 6.5G upper around a Krieger. LRRPF52 here on our forum pointed me to PF as a top option for a precision 6.5G upper. Still waiting for mine, but Mark's builds have a pretty stellar reputation for accuracy.

CL turned my custom barrel order around in a month. I was incredibly impressed.

maximus83
09-13-19, 10:51
CL turned my custom barrel order around in a month. I was incredibly impressed.

That is good to hear. I'm eventually going to assemble a precision upper--and the 3 top candidates for the barrel are CL, Craddock, and PF.

maximus83
09-14-19, 17:13

Have you compared this to the IMI 77gr?

MQ105
09-15-19, 19:09
In my experience, the MT 77 shoots about the same as the IMI. Slightly better from some barrels, not quite as good from others. I've shot about 4k rounds of the IMI 77 load. The MT is a bit cheaper, and runs +/- 50 fps faster from a 16" barrel. Yes, faster than the IMI over my chrono. Neither load is a slouch in the velocity dept.

Furbyballer
09-16-19, 09:47
In my experience, the MT 77 shoots about the same as the IMI. Slightly better from some barrels, not quite as good from others. I've shot about 4k rounds of the IMI 77 load. The MT is a bit cheaper, and runs +/- 50 fps faster from a 16" barrel. Yes, faster than the IMI over my chrono. Neither load is a slouch in the velocity dept.

your experience mirrors my own with accuracy going to imi by a touch