PDA

View Full Version : Iranians Caught Smuggling Nuke-Related Material Out of US

Doc Safari
07-17-19, 09:02
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-17/three-iranians-caught-smuggling-many-tons-nuke-related-material-out-us

A major case involving three Iranian citizens who for years allegedly smuggled nuclear related materials into Iran from a US broker has been revealed this week in a New York federal court.

The scheme involved illegally exporting "many tons" of carbon fiber out of the United States between 2008 and 2013, which federal prosecutors say violated existing US sanctions and a UN embargo, given the direct military and nuclear use capability of the substance.

In a statement, US attorney for the Southern District of New York, Geoffrey S. Berman described that, "Carbon fiber has many aerospace and defense applications, and is strictly controlled to ensure that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. Pourghannad and his co-defendants allegedly went to great lengths to circumvent these controls and the United States' export laws. Together with our law enforcement partners, we will continue to protect our nation's assets and protect our national security."

And a statement published to the Department of Justice website noted, “Pourghannad is alleged to have sought to procure for Iran large amounts of carbon fiber — a commodity that can be used in the enrichment of uranium.” The DOJ and FBI further described the conspiracy as seeking to assist "Iran’s destabilizing efforts and make Americans less safe."

An FBI counterintelligence division chief added, "Iran remains determined to acquire U.S. technology with military applications, and the FBI is just as determined to stop such illegal activity," according to NBC.

The indictment doesn't reveal precisely how much carbon fiber is believed to have made it to Iran, and the American-based source of the UN embargoed material is not named, and it's further unclear if the source was consciously involved in trying to evade sanctions on Iran. The men each face multiple 20-year sentences, but it's unknown if law enforcement are close to apprehending two of the men who remain on the run.

Iran actually successfully established its own carbon fiber production facility starting in 2011, according to reports, likely now making it less urgent to procure it abroad in places like the United States or Europe

titsonritz
07-17-19, 12:29
I had no idea carbon fiber was such a controlled material.

NYH1
07-17-19, 12:48
Same here. I don't know to much about carbon fiber. I know it's used on racecars as body panels because it lighter and stronger then fiberglass. I think it's used in clutches and brake pads too. Even heard it's used as an outside layer on rifle barrels.

NYH1.

jpmuscle
07-17-19, 13:05
Same here. I don't know to much about carbon fiber. I know it's used on racecars as body panels because it lighter and stronger then fiberglass. I think it's used in clutches and brake pads too. Even heard it's used as an outside layer on rifle barrels.

NYH1.

Some of the new CF suppressors are pretty trick too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sry0fcr
07-17-19, 13:13

Me either, it's so ubiquitous and has so many applications these days that I wouldn't think that it'd be ITAR controlled.

GH41
07-17-19, 14:48
Just receive two different shipments of carbon fiber extrusions from South Korea via USPS ordered from Amazon. It's probably banned from being shipped to Iran because it could be used in aerospace applications like a million other materials. They probably cannot import toilet paper from us because one of their nuke engineers might wipe his ass with it.

sundance435
07-17-19, 15:24
Carbon fiber is like plastic - varying grades and compositions that dictate the application. If carbon fiber is a "sensitive" material, it's probably only a specific composition as applied to a specialized use like nuclear tech; I doubt it's the same stuff used for car parts.

KUSA
07-17-19, 15:40
If they want a nuclear bomb so bad, maybe we should just give them one.

flenna
07-17-19, 18:14
If they want a nuclear bomb so bad, maybe we should just give them one.

SteyrAUG
07-17-19, 18:16
No Serpa holsters for Iran.

elephant
07-17-19, 21:56

I don't think it was carbon fiber. I honestly think it was Carbon Carbon which is used in gas absorption, like a gaseous centrifuge to enrich uranium gas into the weapons grade uranium.

sundance435
07-18-19, 08:04
I don't think it was carbon fiber. I honestly think it was Carbon Carbon which is used in gas absorption, like a gaseous centrifuge to enrich uranium gas into the weapons grade uranium.

I also think it's unlikely that it's actual carbon fiber, but if it was, it was highly specialized. My first thought was carbon nanotube tech, which is very cutting-edge.