PDA

View Full Version : glock model C

St.Michael
11-12-08, 14:33
Anyone have one? Any problems with the flash when shooting? I was thinking of getting one in 9mm

John_Wayne777
11-12-08, 14:34
If you mean the compensated models, then yes, they do have problems with flash....big ones. They also aren't really stellar if you have to use one in a retention position.

St.Michael
11-12-08, 14:37
well ok that's all I needed to know. I will get the normal set up. :cool: thanks for the info man.

ToddG
11-12-08, 14:52
While there are those who swear by them, I personally wouldn't choose any compensated pistol for anything but playing games. And since I don't have any guns that are just for playing games ...

St.Michael
11-12-08, 14:57
While there are those who swear by them, I personally wouldn't choose any compensated pistol for anything but playing games. And since I don't have any guns that are just for playing games ...

I usually only shoot my 1911. Which I love. I just figured as it would be a 9mm that the extra weight might add for some quicker target acquisition. I mean isn't that what they are for to begin with? I don't want it bad enough to take that bright light in my face though.

ToddG
11-12-08, 15:04
The "C" model doesn't have extra weight, it actually has slightly less.

Limey-
11-12-08, 15:07
I have one not any different to my regular glock 9mm's as far a shooting.
If its cheap (mine was) and not for duty, get one.

R Moran
11-12-08, 16:15
I was issued a 22C model a few years ago.

While the extra flash never really bothered me, even on the night qual's, it does deposit the carbon on your front sight, making the white or tritium dot, harder to see, if you use them. Its not to good even on plain sights.

One problem that was noted, actually on another facilities gun at the CTA, was rounds were keyholing the target at normal qual ranges.
After armorer inspection, they determined that imperfections in the ports of the barrel, were stripping bullet jacket away, and causing the keyholes.
Maybe not a common occurrence, but something to think about.

I haven't been issued one in quite awhile, and don't miss it. I never really could tell the difference between the standard and the c model.

FWIW, the facility that does very well in the annual competition, usually winning, and providing the individual winner this year, doesn't use "C" models, competing against some sites that do. So while very anecdotal, you don't need it to win.

Bob

ST911
11-12-08, 20:01
I've found the effects of the blast from the port to be overstated.

lexmedic157
11-13-08, 18:15
Ported models for standard weaver type shooting or static. Poor idea for retention, or unconventional shooting positions, and low light.

St.Michael
11-13-08, 19:14
well im sold guys. G19 here I come.

M4arc
11-13-08, 19:19
well im sold guys. G19 here I come.

Now you're talking! :D

St.Michael
11-13-08, 19:22
So i guess its hard to find those mags right now. I was up at my local shop. They have about 7 to 11 in stock. I didn't count exact. I got one to start but I will be up every weekend getting a couple each time. 30 dollars but hey it will do.

M4arc
11-13-08, 19:35
You can still find them for less if you look around. I would check with www.cdnninvestments.com (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/lemaforciuse.html) first and buy up a bunch of their used LE mags for $17 each. Then I would check with www.summitgunbroker.com (http://www.summitgunbroker.com) and see if Mark has any left.

Check with www.copesdistributing.com (http://www.copesdistributing.com) too. He has OEM mags and he also has the KCI mags (from Korea) for $13 each. They might be good range mags...maybe.

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 19:48
I've heard different stories regarding the harm in the extra flash...

Some people say it really depends on the ammo. Either way, it will foul your sights quicker.

Any advantage people could offer up for having the compensator would have to be faster followup shots. But, in a self defense situation, I would tend to believe "fast enough" followup shots could be attained through proper training or even simply through a good amount of practice on the owner's part.

lexmedic157
11-13-08, 21:32
I've heard different stories regarding the harm in the extra flash...

Any advantage people could offer up for having the compensator would have to be faster followup shots.

Never mind the temporary blindness

kaltblitz
11-13-08, 21:43
I had a 22C for awhile.

I found the flash distracting on night shoots and the recoil reduction negligible. I also got tired of trying to clean the crud off of my front sight after a long range session.

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 21:45
You've been blinded by one I take it?

Yes, I've heard people who have looked at the ports and ASSUMED they will blind you and then I've heard from the people who OWN them and say it's no much worse than regular muzzle flash. I would have to assume that 8" of flash spewing forth above the slide would be worse than a 4" cone/ball of flash out front but are either enough to blind you?

kaltblitz
11-13-08, 22:04
During the daytime I didn't even notice it.

At night during quals it didn't blind me, but it took my eyes a second longer to get back on the frontsight and back on target. It was most noticeable when transitioning from body to head shots in a failure drill.

I shot a regular G22 and my 22C side by side one night and the difference became quite noticeable. I was much swifter transitioning from target to target with the non-comped gun.

The recovery time between shots is what the compensator is supposed to help eliminate. I found it to do just the opposite in the dark.

For your average shooter with a range gun I don't think the comp makes any difference. For work out on the street I think they can slow you down. I gave mine to my dad who just takes it to the range on weekends. Stick with the non-comp guns for serious work.

toasterlocker
11-13-08, 22:09
Compensated Glocks are a solution looking for a problem. For self-defense purposes, the company itself does not advise using their compensated models.

As others have stated, the recoil reduction isn't very significant, the flash can be distracting for some (never bothered me), and they are harder to clean.

I don't know why anyone would get one, even as a novelty.

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 23:07
During the daytime I didn't even notice it.

At night during quals it didn't blind me, but it took my eyes a second longer to get back on the frontsight and back on target. It was most noticeable when transitioning from body to head shots in a failure drill.

I shot a regular G22 and my 22C side by side one night and the difference became quite noticeable. I was much swifter transitioning from target to target with the non-comped gun.

The recovery time between shots is what the compensator is supposed to help eliminate. I found it to do just the opposite in the dark.

For your average shooter with a range gun I don't think the comp makes any difference. For work out on the street I think they can slow you down. I gave mine to my dad who just takes it to the range on weekends. Stick with the non-comp guns for serious work.

Pretty much exactly what I was getting at. The C will be brighter, but maybe not enough to actually blind you.

Also, the compensating benefits are probably next to nothing- you'd be better served training to manage the recoil of a non-C model, which is something you need to learn anyway. Good shooters who are excellent at managing recoil probably see absolutely no benefit with the C models whatsoever because their skill level is so high to begin with- those skills are something everyone should strive for and once you are there or are close to being there, you really don't need the ported barrel.

What's really sexy though are those that are ported with three or four holes down the length of the barrel with the extra meat on top of the barrel and the corresponding material removed from the slide. Those sure are "purdy." :p