PDA

View Full Version : Handguns that have dropped off the radar entirely (or nearly so)

Slater
07-18-19, 14:49
I would probably place the Ruger American Pistol in this category. I never seem to hear anything about it these days (either pro or con).

Beretta PX4 and APX. The older 92 series seems to generate more buzz, for whatever reason.

Walther Creed. Just seemed to flop right off the bat. The previous PPX didn't seem to do much better. Shame , too, because my PPX is reliable and accurate.

Any Steyr handgun. Not sure why.

Any other candidates?

ndmiller
07-18-19, 18:01
Phoenix Arms .22, best pistol ever:dirol:

Firefly
07-18-19, 18:18
Whitney Wolverines

VT1032
07-18-19, 18:40
I definitely don't think the PX4 is flopping, quite the contrary... It was, very much so, but it's made a major comeback with the Langdon compact carry models.

Flops that come to mind are things like the Remington R51, Colt American 2000, stuff like that...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-18-19, 20:13
Modern FN handguns never seem to get real traction.

Eurodriver
07-18-19, 20:30
Hudson H9

Lmao. Suckers.

ramairthree
07-18-19, 20:40
I definitely don't think the PX4 is flopping, quite the contrary... It was, very much so, but it's made a major comeback with the Langdon compact carry models.

Flops that come to mind are things like the Remington R51, Colt American 2000, stuff like that...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It had a brief flurry of interest based on a transient period where a safety lever swap made it the biggest, softest shooting gun in one category of IDPA. With a little interest in the like a Glock 19 with a safety AIWB niche.

I suspect more Glock 26s, 19s, and 17s are sold in a day than the not really a PX4 action PX4 subcompact, PX4 Compact, or Commander layout “full sized” PX4 respectively in a year.

Slater
07-18-19, 21:08
Remington RP9/RP45. Are they still in production?

Slater
07-18-19, 21:09

Did the FN 509 turn out to be a hit or a flop?

Arik
07-18-19, 21:21
Modern FN handguns never seem to get real traction.I would say except for the 45. I always see the FNX45 around.

TheAlsatian
07-19-19, 05:20
MAB P-15. It was one of the first double stack 9mm pistols (after the Browning P35), Heavy duty and did I say heavy? Super accurate and very well finished.

Arik
07-19-19, 06:50
MAB P-15. It was one of the first double stack 9mm pistols (after the Browning P35), Heavy duty and did I say heavy? Super accurate and very well finished.I'm not sure those were on the radar lately then dropped off. Instead, they're more like an obscure surplus handgun that was used by France and a few of her colonies 40+ years ago

Circle_10
07-19-19, 07:16
While I don't get the impression the CZ P10C is "flopping" it does seem like a lot of the initial buzz surrounding the gun has fizzled.
So it might be relegated to being a "sleeper hit" like a lot of CZ guns vs the Glock 19 killer some thought it would be.

Within a year of hitting the market, the Remington RP9/RP45's were being sold by PSA at one point as low as like $199. I think the RP-series had little going for them in terms of features to distinguish themselves over other designs in the eyes of potential buyers, plus they are huge guns, and their release came on the heels of the R51 debacle. There may have been some function issues with the early ones too. Altogether I think that spells flop.

Mossberg just released some subcompact 9mm that I predict isn't going to get much traction, but you never know. Maybe it's a great gun but I don't see myself taking the plunge to try one out.

Adrenaline_6
07-19-19, 07:28
I just saw the P10C going for $399.

ViniVidivici
07-19-19, 07:34
Jericho 941!

A guy I know says he just bought one from someone for around 400 bucks. Haven't seen one in a long time.

It was a fun entry, back in the day, in the "9mm vs. .45ACP" debate.

Sikiguya
07-19-19, 07:38
I’d say the Archon Type B...and it is a fantastic pistol. There were some initial issues with a weak striker spring. But that has been worked out. It is quite flat shooting and has a great trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everready73
07-19-19, 09:03
I remember a lot of buzz on the Arex Rex Zero and havent heard much lately. Tim from Militaryarms on Youtube did his "torture" test on one and it performed the best of any pistol. That initially created a lot of buzz but seems to have fizzled

I remember hearing a lot of positive buzz on the Lionheart pistols but it seems they never caught on

Arik
07-19-19, 09:28
I remember hearing a lot of positive buzz on the Lionheart pistols but it seems they never caught on

I don't think they really caught on the first time

RHINOWSO
07-19-19, 09:57
All semi-auto 'Glock Killers' have a life of 1 day to 15 months.

VIP3R 237
07-19-19, 10:06
All semi-auto 'Glock Killers' have a life of 1 day to 15 months.

This. The CZ P10C so far is the only glock 19 sized gun that can match the 19. Notice I said match, not beat it.

GNXII
07-19-19, 10:09
I second the disappearing act or at least microscopic in popularity of the Steyr M series. Don't hear much about Kahrs, Walther polymer framed guns, and the Vitor /Bren 10. In calibers, a year ago Id say anything chambered in 10MM but I think that's changing. Maybe in the next few years anything in .40 & .357 Sig will become a memory as 9MM moves ahead.

D_M
07-19-19, 10:40
STI GP6

Slater
07-19-19, 10:44
CZ's full size P-10F is on the market, but I'm not sure how well it's doing given that buying trends seem to favor compact/subcompact guns these days.

lincolns mullet
07-19-19, 10:48
I just saw the P10C going for $399.

Got my suppressor ready P10C for $389, so there are good prices to be had on these.

glocktogo
07-19-19, 13:33
SilencerCo Maxim 9

I realize the $200 theft has an impact, but if it had been the 2nd Coming everyone thought it would/could be, we'd see a lot more of them in the wild.

Bret
07-19-19, 19:16
Back around 1990, the Star Firestar was awarded the handgun of the year. It was a very small compact resembling a 1911, but a bit heavy. A few years later Star was out of business.

I second the disappearing act or at least microscopic in popularity of the Steyr M series. Don't hear much about Kahrs, Walther polymer framed
I third the disappointing popularity of the Steyr M series. They’re great guns. Kahrs are small, but the horrible double action like triggers are what’s killing them. I think the Walther PPQ and PPS are doing quite well in spite of Walther’s horrible customer service.

MountainRaven
07-19-19, 20:15
Kinda already mentioned, but the Vltor Bren Ten.

Arik
07-19-19, 20:37
SilencerCo Maxim 9

I realize the $200 theft has an impact, but if it had been the 2nd Coming everyone thought it would/could be, we'd see a lot more of them in the wild.I think it has several things going against it. Not really a concealable gun. Not every state or local municipality allows nfa items and some people don't want to bother with the paperwork. I know after my first SBR I have zero desire to do that all over again. That one time was enough to get it out of my system

titsonritz
07-19-19, 20:54
Daewoo DP51
Beretta 8000

556BlackRifle
07-20-19, 11:28
Agreed on the Firestar. I had the 40 and it was a great compact. Also 9mm wise, the S&W 3913 and BHP seem to have dropped off.

1_click_off
07-20-19, 11:35
MAC-10
TEC-9

Not popular here, but just before the 94 ban they were seen a lot more often.

Ban tripled the price on this junk and it dried up.

glocktogo
07-20-19, 11:41
Agreed on the Firestar. I had the 40 and it was a great compact. Also 9mm wise, the S&W 3913 and BHP seem to have dropped off.

I had a Starvel Firestar .40 and to this day it's still the most comfortable/softest shooting .40 I've ever shot. It was a chunk, but it punched well above it's weight. I've also had a 3913 and a BHP, and the Firestar was more comfortable to shoot than either of them.

anachronism
07-21-19, 11:06

The FNS full-size doesn't deserve to die off. Mines decently accurate, and has been completely reliable so far.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-21-19, 12:16
I had 9mm and .45 FNX. They were both excellent. Hell I even did a little mud video with the 9mm. Great gun.

Slater
07-21-19, 13:59
Is the FN 509 one of those "dropping off the radar" guns?

Bret
07-21-19, 16:09
I had a Starvel Firestar .40 and to this day it's still the most comfortable/softest shooting .40 I've ever shot. It was a chunk, but it punched well above it's weight. I've also had a 3913 and a BHP, and the Firestar was more comfortable to shoot than either of them.
I bought a Firestar M-40 when they first came out. It worked fine for a while, but then began to have feeding issues. It turns out that the metal in the frame was actually flowing due to the recoil. I sent it back to Interarms and they sent me a brand new one. The new one had a beefier slide than the first one which was identical to the 9mm. Not being sure of the design, I traded it straight up for a factory Maadi RPK. I've always wondered if the new M-40 would have worked, but from a money standpoint I definitely came out better. If I find a nice looking 9mm, I'll buy it.

HCM
07-21-19, 23:08
The FNS full-size doesn't deserve to die off. Mines decently accurate, and has been completely reliable so far.

The FNS has proven to have multiple issues. Mags popping out when carried due to the ambi mag release, reliability issues with weapons mounted lights (WML), other reliability issues, and instances of the guns going off due to impacts including one which went off in a duty holster,

In fairness to FN they seem to have finally gotten it right with the 509.

ViniVidivici
07-22-19, 10:12
Ha! Now I miss my Star Firestar .40. Was a good little gun. Pain to find mags for though, impossible to find parts. Traded it away years ago.

Gary1911A1
07-22-19, 12:36
I think the Hudson is another one. When I first heard about it I wonder why anyone would make a 1911 pistol and remove the trigger which is one of it's best features and replace it with a striker fired type trigger?

Pacific5th
07-22-19, 13:14
Ruger American Series, the SR series seemed to be better received. I like my SR45 but find the Americans just ugly. I haven’t even seen a Remington RP9/45 out there so I don’t expect much from them. Same for the new Mossberg handgun.

MountainRaven
07-22-19, 13:39
I think the Hudson is another one. When I first heard about it I wonder why anyone would make a 1911 pistol and remove the trigger which is one of it's best features and replace it with a striker fired type trigger?

I don't think the H9 just dropped off the radar: The company that made it has gone (very publicly) bankrupt.

To be fair, though, it was kinda getting there before Hudson went under.

The_War_Wagon
07-22-19, 15:19
Back around 1990, the Star Firestar was awarded the handgun of the year. It was a very small compact resembling a 1911, but a bit heavy. A few years later Star was out of business.

If you owned one in the day, you want them still! Even the .45 was heavy enough, to make recoil negligible. They were, the first "pocket" semi-auto... so long as you had a 2" leather built to hold up your pockets!

I owned 'em in 9mm, .40, & .45 in the early '90s - always in Starvel (stainless). Got this blued one in '06 - had it cerakoted a few months ago. Burnt bronze and black, but looks gold in the camera flash.

https://i.ibb.co/pQFp2qg/100-4928-crop.jpg

Star went out of business, because of state-run economy. The Eibar region of Spain was particularly hard hit by recession in the late '90's - recall that CETME also went out of business at the same time. Take a look at Star prices - they still have quite the following, cos' I'd still like to get a few more myself!

pinzgauer
07-23-19, 08:17

I third the disappointing popularity of the Steyr M series. They’re great guns. Kahrs are small, but the horrible double action like triggers are what’s killing them. I think the Walther PPQ and PPS are doing quite well in spite of Walther’s horrible customer service.

I carried a Star PD for many years, which was one of the first compact 45s that worked. Deutonics was the other alternative, expensive and hit or miss. Firestar was more compact, and was available in 40, which was of interest due to higher mag capacity.

I put combat sights on the PD and shot the heck out of it before going back to LW Commanders.

really don't know where the comments about the double action on Kahrs are coming from... My p40 and a friend's p45s that influenced my purchase, both have excellent double action triggers. I grew up as a kid shooting Smith K frames in 357 and it's virtually identical. Long but very smooth and predictable. My muscle memory from k frame days still applies. I could run plates with the p40 about as good as anything else I have.

One thing I've noticed is there 2 grades of Kahrs, and the P's have better fit and finish and even slightly different slide and components. I'm wondering if that contributes to the varying reports on the Kahrs.

That said, they are definitely one that requires break in. And not something I would recommend for anyone looking dial Sterling reliability out of the box. But once they are good, they are good.

Walther PPQs and even P99e are still steady sellers locally, although much lower volume than XDS and police trade-in Glocks

pinzgauer
07-23-19, 08:24
MAC-10
TEC-9

Not popular here, but just before the 94 ban they were seen a lot more often.

Ban tripled the price on this junk and it dried up.When I was a young and foolish college student I had serial number 000750 of the then brand new KG-9. Open bolt and a spare disconnector.

It was sexy relative to the Mac-10s of the time.

Even though 9mm was cheap, I couldn't afford to keep the thing fed and realize that shots on paper plate target at speed I was better off shooting my commander.

Yep, it became a thug life joke, especially when neutered into closed bolt form. But at the time it was considered an advance. And was quite fun to shoot select fire.

pinzgauer
07-23-19, 08:26
And the ultimate off the radar: original Automags... College roommate bought one as an airman in the Air Force in the late 70s. What an amazing beast!

The_War_Wagon
07-23-19, 09:34
When I was a young and foolish college student I had serial number 000750 of the then brand new KG-9. Open bolt and a spare disconnector.

It was sexy relative to the Mac-10s of the time.

Cos' all the trendy badguys on Miami Vice used them! :jester: I even had a fake can on mine, for the ULTIMATE coolness.

CMV
07-23-19, 11:21
Magnum Research, along with Auto Ordnance, & Kahr...... Rarely see them or hear much about them compared to 10-20 yrs ago....

RAM Engineer
07-26-19, 11:30
SIG P290. It came and went so fast, I didn't realize it was a thing until last night.

Slater
07-26-19, 12:34
Beretta PX-4. It's one of those "I didn't know those were still being made" guns.

07-26-19, 14:00
Beretta PX-4. It's one of those "I didn't know those were still being made" guns.

Its had a bit of resurgence among the followers of Langdon.

ShipWreck
07-27-19, 17:27
Its had a bit of resurgence among the followers of Langdon.

Yes, it still has a following.

PrivateCitizen
08-16-19, 19:57
Caracal.

I'd bet the IWI Masada is next

36trap
08-16-19, 21:21
Is the FN 509 one of those "dropping off the radar" guns?

I'd be hesitant to say it was ever on the radar.

spence
08-16-19, 23:00

I bought a commercial M9 this last spring, finally, and fell hard for DA/SA, followed it with a 92 Compact about six weeks later. I carry that compact pretty much all the time now. Both my 92 series are influenced some by Langdon in each has a set of G10 grips, G kits, and 14# hammer springs. I carry the compact more than anything else right now. It's main problem is it's still a pretty long barrel for appendix carry, and when I get serious about buying another new pistol, I think a PX4 compact will be it.

It's taken a bit to warm up to the feel of it, but for the price, I think they're worth a shot.

chuckman
08-19-19, 12:09
The SIG p239. One of the best SIGs ever made, a perfect CC gun, great ergonomics. A joy to shoot.

Slater
08-24-19, 11:37
The Ruger American Pistol in 9mm is now as low as $290 at CDNN. From all accounts it's not a bad handgun, but it seems to have quickly disappeared in the sea of polymer 9mm's currently swamping the market.

Taguin
08-27-19, 09:02
The SIG/Mauser M2 comes to mind...Completely disappeared.

MStarmer
08-29-19, 16:23
I'll have to chime in with the Browning Hi-Powers. Used to be one of my favorites, would love to have one by Yost or Novak.

Arik
08-29-19, 19:58
I'll have to chime in with the Browning Hi-Powers. Used to be one of my favorites, would love to have one by Yost or Novak.I don't think those were ever on radar. At least not in the last 20 years. I don't know a single gun store that carried them. One store would get surplus in and another would occasionally get a new one which would sit for a year or two before disappearing.

They had a cult following but certainly not on the radar

halfmoonclip
08-30-19, 23:44
HighPowers are a bit like Lugers; some are far more desirable/valuable than others. They became expensive, and were single action. But they feel good in the hand, and shoot really straight.
Yeah, Steyrs are a mystery. The fact that they only imported 10 round mags for the Glock 19-sized model was one issue, and they weren't stone reliable. I had two, and took a beating trading both of them. The one shop had my gun for a year.
Anything Remington has had a smell of death to it; not sure how their 1911s are.
Moon

ramairthree
08-31-19, 01:04
Yes, it still has a following.

Let’s be real.

The fullsized and compact have been on life support in the USA since they came out. The subcompact is not even based on the PX4 platform, it just kinda sorta looks like a PX4.

There was a brief surge in interest in the Compact.

For a transient period based on some rules for one category of IDPA,
If you put on the stealth safety the Compact was the largest, softest shooting pistol in its division. I’m not going to look it up, but it’s something like from 2015 for a while until a rule change like maybe 2017.

So if you were in the tiny niche of loving to spend all day on a weekend with obese dudes in fishing vests wearing triple E wide Velcro sneakers for their diabetic ulcers shooting minuscule round counts on stages designed to be at an ADA compliant physical challenge level, using the same gun a champ did, with the bonus of getting wussing out behind cover at slide lock, or not, which may have changed as well, go for it.

There was also a brief surge in popularity of guys wanting to AIWB carry a G19 sized gun that had a safety.

I own the full sized, the Compact, and a SC, as well as a CX4 with the PX4 magwell insert. There are just such better options for the handguns let alone when you consider holsters and accessories, factory parts availability, aftermarket parts, parts costs, etc. and so many better options for a PCC.

And if your company has spent a couple of decades introducing a rotating barrel pistol without 92 magazine compatibility that failed, a hammer fired polymer framed pistol based on cool looks that failed, and a 92 update based on cool looks that failed,
Combining the features of rotating barrel, non 92 magazine compatibility, hammer fired polymer frame, based on cool looks Gun expecting success was nothing short of insanity.

What people wanted out of Beretta was a rail on the 92, and slides with a changeable front sight. And an actually compact 92 Compact.

It’s not like it was some hugely popular pistol that has fallen out of favor, I.e. it’s a never was, not a has been. E.g. the Bren ten that everybody wanted but couldn’t get, or the earth shattering, super capacity Steyr GB that people lusted after and has since been forgotten about,

p7fl
08-31-19, 05:53
Seecamps.
I have still have 3 with my and my sons initials as the serial #s.
If I had a problem with a gun, I could call Larry Seecamp directly and he would look the gun up in the file he kept on each pistol.
Larry personally test fired each gun that left the shop.

Slater
08-31-19, 10:31
Caracal.

I'd bet the IWI Masada is next

Quite possible. I've heard pretty much zero about these two guns in recent months.

09-01-19, 15:08
PX4 is extremely common in LE in Mexico. As are the Beretta carbines.

RHINOWSO
09-01-19, 15:14
I'd be hesitant to say it was ever on the radar.
Agreed. FN makes some great rifles, but they know how to make a pistol overly complicated and pliable.

Aries144
09-02-19, 06:38
CZ isn't very good at marketing or dealing with unexpected delays. Damned shame too. Their newest guns, Bren 2 and P10C, have nice little feature or performance edges compared to others in their classes. P10C joined the PPQ as being easier to shoot precisely one-handed because of the fully cocked striker. It might even be the better option of the two- so why then are they selling for $350-400?

Slater
09-02-19, 10:58
The Slovakian "Grand Power" handguns never made much of a splash but those that own them seem to like them. They use a rotary-barrel concept similar to the Beretta PX4.

Never knew anyone who owned one of the Argentine "Bersa" guns. They're still around but I would say very much off the radar.

Jellybean
09-02-19, 12:10
CZ isn't very good at marketing or dealing with unexpected delays. Damned shame too. Their newest guns, Bren 2 and P10C, have nice little feature or performance edges compared to others in their classes. P10C joined the PPQ as being easier to shoot precisely one-handed because of the fully cocked striker. It might even be the better option of the two- so why then are they selling for $350-400?

Because how many people spend that much time shooting one-handed?
Also, probably still more aftermarket/customization options for Glock, and you know the gun scene is all about that Instagram life these days...

As far as others like Ruger American, or Remington R51/RP, is there really any surprise there? "meh" guns in a saturated market that generally either are clunkier, do nothing significantly better than the established performers, or just plain suck.
Companies like that would probably benefit from trimming their lineup a bit and sticking with what they know/knew best...

Other guns I think just fall into a bad niche, like the PX4- maybe it's a decent gun, but everyone wants an M9/M92, not some odd-looking pistol they've never heard of.
Other manufacturers just have to small of a visibility-market share- I can walk into almost any gun shop, even the podunk ones where I live, and find Glock, S&W M&Ps and Springfield- Walther and CZ, not so much, HK and FN are to expensive for anyone in poors-land to stock, and who the hell is Steyr? To be fair, how may people really need the others whe4n a Glock or S&W can get the job done all day? SO why would they look any further, outside of an "I want something unique" factor?

As far as the 509, I don't feel like it's *quite* dropped off- perhaps the hype has just died down a bit. But I'd guess if Apex is making parts, it's going to stick in the market for some time. It does seem to fill a niche, especially with the "tactical" optic/suppressor ready version at a price point most people can get into.
I'm seriously disappointed in the FNS line, and not surprised at all those have dropped in visibility- not sure what happened at FN for for those to turn out so finicky. A shame, because I like them and they fit my hand real nice.
I really dig the FNX- shot a 9 once, and Greg's "break my FNX" thread seems to justify my initial impressions, I just can't justify 7-1200 when, like I said above, a Glock or S&W can do the same thing...

NoBodyImportant
09-02-19, 16:28
The glock43 killed the 42

halfmoonclip
09-02-19, 23:16
The glock43 killed the 42
Au contraire. The G42 is more viable than ever, and the P365 has made the G43 a non-entity; the G48 makes more sense.
Moon

hile
09-03-19, 17:34
I find the Glock 42 doesn't serve much purpose. (I have no use for a 380 personally, as I do not live somewhere where certain calibers are restricted.) I'd have said Beretta 92 years ago, but now (mostly thanks to Ernest Langdon), I'm seeing them make a comeback.

Arik
09-03-19, 18:04
Where are calibers restricted? No state or local ordinances I know of that restriction 9/40/45.

380 is more of a ...I need a gun but can't carry one. Private practice doctors, maybe someone in a office setting. I carry one when I have to be dressed for a formal occasion. A suit doesn't lend itself to anything but a pocket gun. I can't carry my G19 at a wedding or formal dining but I can throw my little Ruger 380 in the front pocket and no one will ever know

hile
09-03-19, 19:57
Where are calibers restricted? No state or local ordinances I know of that restriction 9/40/45.

380 is more of a ...I need a gun but can't carry one. Private practice doctors, maybe someone in a office setting. I carry one when I have to be dressed for a formal occasion. A suit doesn't lend itself to anything but a pocket gun. I can't carry my G19 at a wedding or formal dining but I can throw my little Ruger 380 in the front pocket and no one will ever know

In certain other countries. Historically, in Italy, for example, use of 9x19 was verboten for non-governmental folks. Hence why 9x21 Largo became a thing.

hile
09-03-19, 20:01
And FWIW, I find a suit to be one of the easiest times to carry. I routinely carry OWB between 3:00-4:30. My suit jacket covers that perfectly. In a tux, I don't own that wasn't fitted around carrying a pistol? you may be right.

Arik
09-03-19, 20:04
And FWIW, I find a suit to be one of the easiest times to carry. I routinely carry OWB between 3:00-4:30. My suit jacket covers that perfectly. In a tux, I don't own that wasn't fitted around carrying a pistol? you may be right.Jacket covers it but I can't wear one the whole time. Usually take it off soon as I sit down
In certain other countries. Historically, in Italy, for example, use of 9x19 was verboten for non-governmental folks. Hence why 9x21 Largo became a thing.I'm not in Italy, and it doesn't sound like you are either

hile
09-03-19, 20:28
No, I don't live in a location that has local restrictions on caliber. A fact that is obvious from the second sentence in post #71. I agree with you that a .380 or other "tiny" gun is appropriate for those times when something larger just won't work, especially if the situation is such that my PPS on my ankle just won't work. I haven't personally run into situations where that was my only option.

MountainRaven
09-03-19, 23:03
In certain other countries. Historically, in Italy, for example, use of 9x19 was verboten for non-governmental folks. Hence why 9x21 Largo became a thing.

9x19mm was banned in Italy because it's a, "military cartridge." That is no longer the case.

Jacket covers it but I can't wear one the whole time. Usually take it off soon as I sit downI'm not in Italy, and it doesn't sound like you are either

There are some countries, like the above mentioned Italy, where you cannot own, "military cartridges," or ammunition of a certain power. The Glock models 25 and 28 were originally designed for sale in such countries.

halfmoonclip
09-04-19, 11:29
The .380 remains viable for we armed citizens, especially if we don't want to dress around a gun...and it makes us more likely to follow that 'have a gun' thing. A P365 is almost pocketable, but almost won't do it. So the G42 remains my go-to; stone reliable, and I can hit with it.
If the world seems especially hinky, the Sig under a jacket isn't a big deal.
Moon

Ron3
09-04-19, 19:10
I was never interested in the G42.
Too big and square for a pocket, pretty small for a belt gun.

Apart from that it is a soft-recoiling gun that is easy to shoot well.

As for .380 it's fine for defensive use as long as your aware it's not good at punching through barriers. That can be good or bad.

Bart Noir
09-23-19, 18:22
It seems that one pistol is trying to claw its way back onto the radar.

The latest American Handgunner magazine has a small blurb (factory wording and pic) about yet another redo of the Daewoo pistol, still being called a Lionheart. Now the model is the Regulus and has a rail.

Bart Noir

Dave James
10-01-19, 12:23
Love the little Glock 42, carry's well for me, and is accurate enough for ear hole shots, and now that I have the 9x18Mak barrel that drops in, it gives me a little boost, but hell I loved the old 3rd Gen 1086

Bret
10-01-19, 13:08
Love the little Glock 42, carry's well for me, and is accurate enough for ear hole shots, and now that I have the 9x18Mak barrel that drops in, it gives me a little boost, but hell I loved the old 3rd Gen 1086
Is it 100% reliable? Where do you get them?

mysak
10-01-19, 20:30
I'll have to chime in with the Browning Hi-Powers. Used to be one of my favorites, would love to have one by Yost or Novak.

I have a Yost Hi Power it was in my carry rotation until recently when I decided that I should probably stop carrying it because they stopped making Hi Powers but it is my favorite and finest 9mm pistol I have ever used. As far as falling off the radar I guess but it was the Glock before Glock, were the only country that didn't adopt it because of the 1911 even though the Hi Power is superior design (I carry a Yost 1911 daily). I would recommend picking a hi power up before they become too expensive I own two and plan on a third simply for this fact and I will probably send another to Yost just so I feel comfortable enough to carry it again.

run&gun
10-01-19, 22:01
I'm surprised nobody said the Glock 36. .45 cal and a single stack. At the time it was the only .45 my girlfriend could/would shoot.

mig1nc
10-02-19, 05:01
The Slovakian "Grand Power" handguns never made much of a splash but those that own them seem to like them. They use a rotary-barrel concept similar to the Beretta PX4.

Never knew anyone who owned one of the Argentine "Bersa" guns. They're still around but I would say very much off the radar.

Hah. I used to have a Grand Power P11.

Traded it in for a CZ P10C.

The P11 was an awesome carry gun. Slightly smaller than a Glock 19, insanely accurate, unbelievably soft shooting.

The problem with the Grand Power system is that it does not tolerate fouling very well. I had more malfunctions with the P11 than any gun I owned. You had to keep it clean and lube it just the right amount in just the right places with just the right lube.

That said, Grand Power X-Caliber Blue is on sale right now for $690 and it's one hell of a gun. If I hadn't just dumped my gun budget into more NODs and stuff I would snag one up for competition. Not defense, but competition.

parishioner
10-02-19, 05:54
P10C joined the PPQ as being easier to shoot precisely one-handed because of the fully cocked striker.

I was always under the impression the P10’s utilized a partially tensioned striker similar to Glock.

.223Pound
10-05-19, 11:19
The FN 4.5 has gone down the drain.... i really like it..i bought one but ammo is way too extensive and hard to find.

Arik
10-05-19, 11:31
What's an FN 4.5?

Bret
10-05-19, 11:47
What's an FN 4.5?
+1 I'd like to know too.

.223Pound
10-06-19, 09:20
+1 I'd like to know too.

Sorry guys i meant the FN 5.7 Pistol.

i was on my 4th glass of bourbon.:cool:

MountainRaven
10-06-19, 13:41
The Five-seveN has always been a niche pistol with niche ammunition. It hasn't dropped off the radar, so much as it was never really on it to begin with.

.223Pound
10-07-19, 01:58
The Five-seveN has always been a niche pistol with niche ammunition. It hasn't dropped off the radar, so much as it was never really on it to begin with.

I used to see more of it at the range and saw a few people carry it but can remember anyone carrying it or talking about it for years. kinda went awol.

JeffM.
10-07-19, 04:06
Surprised no one has mentioned the Sig P220 series.

Beretta & CZ are the only DA/SA guns getting much mention anymore it seems.

halfmoonclip
10-07-19, 15:30
Yeah, the FN was a needle-shooter, and probably made more sense in its subgun iteration.
For those interested in a relatively inexpensive HiPower, Brownells is marketing a Turkish clone.
Moon

Firefly
10-07-19, 16:38
Surprised no one has mentioned the Sig P220 series.

Beretta & CZ are the only DA/SA guns getting much mention anymore it seems.

P226s are AIDS.
CZ kinda meh if you are going through a phase but not bad.

Beretta LTTs are awesome town