PDA

View Full Version : help identifying an AR BCG, please.

Gentle Ben
11-12-08, 15:20
I just bought a used Colt upper, complete with BCG. However, I don't think that the BCG is Colt (it was advertised as such), so I'd like some input from others before I request a value adjustment from the seller.

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I'm thinking they won't be necessary if I can describe it well enough.

The carrier is a full-circle semi-auto unit. It is not marked in any way. I have a couple of other Colt BCGs that are in factory Colt rifles, and they all have a "C" on the side.

The bolt is not marked MPI (or MP). All my Colt bolts are, as are my LMT's. It's my understanding that every Colt bolt is MPI'd and would be marked as such.

Lastly, the gas key is staked like someone whacked the edge with a chisel, and the metal deformation of the carrier into the bolts holding the gas key is (IMO) not sufficient to hold the bolts. On my Colt BCGs, the staking is a deep crimp from both sides, with the metal of the carrier well-deformed into the bolts holding the gas key in place.

This BCG might very well be a good unit, but I don't think it's a Colt, which is what I thought I was getting/paying for. If you guys don't think it's a Colt either, what would be a reasonable value adjustment between a complete Colt BCG and one of unknown pedigree?

FWIW, the seller said he got this upper as a complete unit, as-is, from Denny at Global Tactical.

Gentle Ben
11-14-08, 14:48
anybody?

markm
11-14-08, 15:04
There have been some Colt Bolt carriers that weren't "C" marked in factory guns. But the Bolts were at least "c" marked.

Gentle Ben
11-14-08, 15:16
Thanks!