PDA

View Full Version : At the range yesterday, two conversations.

vigilant2
11-12-08, 16:11
Hadn't done any shooting since my carbine class in September, so decided
to get a little pistol time in. While inside I notice that the 2 floor racks that usually hold AR15 pattern rifles and carbines have 3 left. Chatting with the owner who knows me by name,

Me: How's business been ?

Him: Ha,Ha,Ha, is that a joke?

Me: (Smiling ) yes it is!

Him: You know, for someone who hates guns as much as he does. He has increased my business beyond anything I've ever seen, including 9/11. Amazing.

Conversation #2

After finishing my range session, while paying I see a few Charles Daly shotguns on the wall rack. Since I was considering buying another CDM4LE in the near future I decided to ask if they would be able to order me one. I didn't know the young guy that I asked by name,but had seen him many times before doing some gunsmithing in the back and also sales up front.

Me: Would you be able to order me a Charles Daly M4 carbine,the LE model?

Him: Ah, I suppose so . Yeah, I think so.

Him: Let me ask you though, why would you want a Charles Daly?
Just so you know Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River all use mil-spec parts and
are built to military specifications. So why would you want a Charles Daly?

Me: Well, for one thing proper staking of the carrier-keys, (he nods patronizingly)
also 4150 barrel steel, M4 feed ramps, mil-spec buffer tube with staking for starters.

He walks to the register to get my change.

Me: So you would be able to order me one?

Him: Yeah, but you would the first person we've had that wants a Charles Daly
over the ones I mentioned!

Me: O.K., thanks :o .

XDkid
11-12-08, 16:19
I hate when gun shop employees try and push their "opinions" when I am trying to buy a fire arm.

Same thing happened when I bought my last pistol. I wanted an XD 45 compact, but the guy was really pushing a S&W MP something or other.... I was like "no, I want the XD" and he continued to tell me why the S&W was so much better. As if I dont know what I want. It was almost like he didnt want to sell me the pistol. Annoying.

C4IGrant
11-12-08, 16:34
I almost believe that there is some secret training program going on where all gun shops are brainwashed into believing whateve the manufacturer tells them. :rolleyes:

C4

Caeser25
11-12-08, 16:49
I hate when gun shop employees try and push their "opinions" when I am trying to buy a fire arm.

Same thing happened when I bought my last pistol. I wanted an XD 45 compact, but the guy was really pushing a S&W MP something or other.... I was like "no, I want the XD" and he continued to tell me why the S&W was so much better. As if I dont know what I want. It was almost like he didnt want to sell me the pistol. Annoying.

I've had this happen a few times. The most recent was when I went to the closet shop to inquire about transfer fees and just look around. Guy was trying to talk me out of a LMT and into a franken gun they build, the only part he knew by brand was a wilson barrel, superior arms lwoer and a MI di rail for like just under a grand:rolleyes:

Leonidas
11-12-08, 18:31

That's not always a bad thing as long as they are knowledgeable.

Abraxas
11-12-08, 18:36

Agreed

C4IGrant
11-12-08, 18:37

Correct. Some "gun shop employees" tend to know a whole bunch more than a lot of their walk in traffic. :D

C4

XDkid
11-12-08, 18:57
true, but... I wasnt exactly "shopping"

I knew what I wanted, came into the shop to buy it, and had a guy trying to sell me something else... not a big deal.

thopkins22
11-12-08, 19:12
I was in Collector's Firearms in Houston the other day, which is purely a place to fondle guns as their prices are pretty high and selection wide. Inevitably one of the know-it-all's behind the counter was selling a cop a Bushmaster or some other middle of the road plinker, fine...not what I want cops carrying, but whatever it's his money. I continued eavesdropping as I was looking at the used 870 police shotguns, and heard him say "for reliability enhancements(I thought I would be relieved and hear him explain carrier key staking...), I strongly recommend a titanium firing pin, and strongly suggest you avoid USGI mags and instead buy a few HK high reliability mags, also there's a company called Magpul who make pretty tough magazines that are suitable for training, but not duty." I had to walk to the other side of the store for a while to keep from screaming at the top of my lungs BS, so who knows what other crap he told the officer.

I caught up with the cop outside(he didn't buy the Bushy), and tried my best to educate him...I suggested he come to m4carbine.net and do some reading and then go back. Whether or not he believed me, or assumed I was another gun store know-it-all, I don't know.

SoDak
11-12-08, 20:05
Thiswasn't involving a gunstore employee, but I did have a good(though very short) conversation with another customer regarding optics a few days ago. I was looking at the .22 rack when I noticed an employee showing a customer a small red dot. I went over hoping to see an aimpoint micro(I have never seen one in person), but to my dismay it was the micro t-1 ripoff by sig. I looked it over and the customer aked if I liked aimpoint, I said I am an aimpoint fan. Then he reccomended I try eotechs because they have a better field of view. At that point he started talking with an employee again and I was ready to go back to looking at guns again. Oh, I have had to do some work trying to dispel some misconceptions whenever I tell someone I have a Charles Daly m4le.

thopkins22
11-12-08, 20:21
Their ARs by all accounts are excellent, but for that matter, I've been exceptionally happy with my shotgun from them. I'll recommend them to anyone who wants a gun that will run and doesn't want to spend a lot. It has run excellent for me with all loads, I even ran 150 rounds shooting clays this weekend without a hiccup, despite the fact that I lost an o-ring in the gas system.

I have called them and they're sending me a new one no questions asked.

bkb0000
11-12-08, 21:39
Just so happens I took a little time off this afternoon and did some wandering around local gun shops myself- ran into a friend of mine who was picking up a bushy varminter he'd ordered (didn't have the heart to break the news to him), and while we were waiting for the background check I had a typical gay-ass conversation with one of the clerks.. first off, he scolded me for letting the bolt ride home, because he said I'd break the carrier. I let that go. Then he told me there's absolutely no difference between .223 and 5.56... this i did not let go, and we argued mildly about it for a minute. Then I listened to the other clerks give all the examples of glowing praise they had for the bushy varminter, and after telling us about his "buddy" shooting oranges off a fence 600m away, he said, "yea! they're great! well, they're no rock river arms, but nothing compares to them."

I popped the receiver open on the varminter and noted the key was semi-steaked and did have teeny little m4 feedramps. 1/7, oddly enough... which seems silly on a "varmint" gun. the 2S trigger felt like it was set to about 1/8th of a pound, hopefully i'm exaggerating. the low profile gas block was a hack-sawed FSB... i guess i have no opinion about that.

then i cruised over to another shop and couldn't help but laugh out loud when the guy handed me a typical 20" A2 bushy with a $1,495 price tag. He didn't see what was funny, and I didn't bother. When I asked him if he had the hookups for any stripped lowers (some local dealers actually do), he proceeded to tell me buying stripped lowers was a dumb thing to do- I proceeded to tell him it was NOT a dumb thing to do, and we actually kind of got into it. He said "you'll ALWAYS end up paying twice what you would if you just bought a complete gun. Look, son- I used to be a MACHINE GUN dealer, I know what I'm talking about." So I stood there and ran numbers off the top of my head at him, and had built a pretty damn good hypothetical rifle for barely $950 in about 1 minute... and his reply was, "see? you can't do it." I gave him a blank look and walked out without saying another word. We never even got to the whole guns-might-be-banned-soon aspect of buying lowers.

Gun shop dealers know how to sell people guns, but they don't seem to ever know anything ABOUT guns. I hardly EVER go into gun stores, and now I remember why.

Dogface
11-12-08, 22:24
I almost believe that there is some secret training program going on where all forum readers brainwashed into believing whateve the couch riding message board "experts" tell them. :rolleyes:

C4

There, fixed that for ya :)

bkb0000
11-12-08, 22:31

I'm guessin you love your bushmaster, no?

grappler
11-12-08, 22:33
Dropped my AR off at the local gun shop one day to find when I came to pick it up, my VFG was moved from where I keep it, to just about as far back as you can put a KAC VFG on a KAC RAS.

I immedietley asked the guys in the shop if my weapon had been shot by anyone there, as the work being done to it would not have required shooting. One of the guys comes walking over, and tells me he just did me a favor by doing that.

Him: Hey man, I just did you a favor. You should keep your grip as far back as you can. Keep it in real tight.

Me: Well, I prefer to keep my VFG towards the end of the rails. I feel I have better muzzle control and acquire targets quicker like that. And it doesn't matter anyway, you don't mess with how I have my weapon set up.

Him: I don't know who told you all that, cause when I was on the Marine FAST Team, that's how we always had our weapons. In nice and tight.

Me: Well, that's cool and all, but that's not how I like my weapon. Don't mess with how I have my weapon set up anymore.

There hasn't been an "anymore" because it got a little more in-depth than that and I wanted to keep a PG-13 rating.

Irratating more than anything else was the fact that he just took it upon himself to do it...

Dogface
11-12-08, 22:45
I'm guessin you love your bushmaster, no?No Bushy here. Try again. :p

tinman44
11-12-08, 22:49
Over a year ago I asked my local gun store clerk if he could order me a colt 6920. He responded with "sorry no we dont have a colt account, how about these models here, blah blah blah" I politely replied with a "no thanks I'll just get one shipped here from a dealer" after said rifle arrived their comment was "you just had to have a colt didnt you" I replied with "of course I did, you just need to get a colt dealers license" then all the sudden they have one but werent able to order the rifle blah blah. anyways I'm always happy to see someone get a new gun but when the salesmen is liying to the customer I always have to fight temptation to interupt and argue.

bkb0000
11-12-08, 23:17
No Bushy here. Try again. :p

if you're looking to make a point, just do it

Gramps
11-13-08, 00:32
No matter how hard you try, you just can't have a battle of wits, with an unarmed person. :eek:

IE: In Ron Whites own words, "You can't fix stupid". ;)

dtheman
11-13-08, 00:35
I remember asking the local range/ shop whether or not they were going to carry the new HK45 when it came out. It was the typical "Good luck waiting on the thing to ever come out" response. A few weeks later I had to pull it out and show them.

boltcatch
11-13-08, 02:00
When I picked up my LMT lower from a gunstore/FFL a couple of years ago, I was treated to a nice lecture on why I should get a stainless barrel... because "those chrome lined barrels are no good - you ever see an old chrome bumper? the chrome in the barrel will peel off, then it's ruined".

:rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
11-13-08, 03:02
Let me share some positive gun shop info. While I was home on R/R I went into Scottsdale Gun Club a few times (too many). From what I could se most of the salespersons seemed to know what was going on. When i went to purchase my G19 and 10/22 no one second guessed or made stupid comments. Same thing when I popped in to pick up some AR stuff that I needed. Maybe the GM there told them who I was and advised them not to bamboozle me, who knows? All in all it was a decent experience.

I will also give praise to Arizona Tactical Firearms as well (thanks demigod :D) as I went in there with the goal of purchasing a suppressor and they were helpful. They gave me the pros and cons of the few models that I wanted to see and they even did the trust paperwork for me for a modest fee.

JSantoro
11-13-08, 08:24
Him: I don't know who told you all that, cause when I was on the Marine FAST Team, that's how we always had our weapons. In nice and tight.

Don't get me started. One of my co-workers spent 7 years at 2nd FAST.

He's usually pretty good about remembering that the bulk of the shooting population isnt going to be doing their uber-SWAT nonsense and taking doors, but there are times...

My favorite gun shop one was this Milton-looking douche insisting to me that the military went to using 1-in-9 twist barrels "like, decades ago, man!" Wow.

C4IGrant
11-13-08, 08:34

There are those on the net that know less than my English Springer about guns, get and training. This is why it is important for the person reading to understand the posters background and experience level.

Luckily on this forum, the people that know WTF they are talking about FAR out weighs the people that do not. ;)

C4

The Archangel
11-13-08, 09:26
I was in Collector's Firearms in Houston the other day...

Back in the mid 90's those asshats were adament in not carrying Glocks in there store because they said that Glocks were unsafe and how so many LEO were accidently shot with their partner's Glocks and how they would never, ever sell Glocks.

Fast forward to the present and you'll find a complete line of Glocks... everyone of the $125 or more than you can get them at a gun show.