PDA

View Full Version : Russian Instructor Throws Screaming Paratrooper Out Of Plane

mack7.62
07-23-19, 18:10
Kind of funny, notice the rest of the trainee's jumped on their own.

https://21stcenturystate.com/2019/07/23/russian-instructor-throws-screaming-paratrooper-out-of-plane-video/

sgtrock82
07-23-19, 18:28
Dammit, half these links are dead ends for me.... but it sounds amazing!

On one of my jumps at airborne school(1997) we had french officer join us so he could add US jump wings to his resume. Well he froze in the door for whatever french reason he had and quickly got a big ole US jump boot to back. Out he went. I hope he looks fondly upon those wings.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

26 Inf
07-23-19, 18:58
Boy, that was some interval between jumpers, just sayin'......must have been a looong drop zone, what with dealing with the 'alleged' jump refusal, and three seconds between jumpers.

My first jump I was so ready to get out of that hot MF'er that wild horses couldn't have slowed me down.

Arik
07-23-19, 19:06
No thanks, I think I'll sit and happily sweat all day IN the plane. Better yet if it's on the ground!

OH58D
07-23-19, 19:28
I did Jump School at Benning in August 1978. By the third week, if you're not committed to the process, you shouldn't be there. I admit the first static line jump had a certain pucker factor to it, but for the remaining 4 jumps, it was a hoot - take off in Georgia, land in Alabama. I only did the 5 for my basic parachutist badge. One thing I didn't get was the 5 mile run in the morning and evening. Never knew you had to run that much to jump out of an airplane. I was 18 years old and didn't know beans from bullsh#%.

26 Inf
07-23-19, 19:46
I did Jump School at Benning in August 1978. By the third week, if you're not committed to the process, you shouldn't be there. I admit the first static line jump had a certain pucker factor to it, but for the remaining 4 jumps, it was a hoot - take off in Georgia, land in Alabama. I only did the 5 for my basic parachutist badge. One thing I didn't get was the 5 mile run in the morning and evening. Never knew you had to run that much to jump out of an airplane. I was 18 years old and didn't know beans from bullsh#%.

I went through in 1979(?) at the US Forest SErvice Aerial Fire Depot, Missoula, Mopntana. Two weeks, it was MTT course taught by 7th SFGA (IRRC) for the 19th SFGA out of Utah. No tower week. I was 26 years old, had come into the Army Reserve as a Sergeant and just had a grand old time.

Got to admit, Pathfinder and Jumpmaster were a little more stressful, but still a hoot.

07-23-19, 20:52
My first jump I was so ready to get out of that hot MF'er that wild horses couldn't have slowed me down.

I had to pee so effing bad.

sgtrock82
07-23-19, 22:03

That was soooo many jumps. It was so miserable on some jumps, The initial heat sitting on the ramp waiting to load up. Then the "air conditioner" on the birds which best I could tell ducted exhaust gases from the turbines, cooled them(marginally) by passing through the fuel tanks and then blown strait into your face. This then mixed with odor of tabbacco juice being expressed by several occupants, some vomit from one or two others, multiplied by the BO of all the occupants = Me actively invisioning the possibility of crawling out from the mass of dudes, chutes and rucks and running for the jump door the minute they open it.

To me this seemed far worse on C-141s than C-130s. The C-17 was so comfortable it was almost off putting, but they were fairly new and we didnt see too many. The C-130 was my favorite ride

Being near the door when they did open it was magical

I remember being really scared about my first jump starting the night before and I had the entire next day to sit in the pack shed all strapped it and dwell on it.
We had erratic stormy spring weather and spent those first 3 days sitting around rigged up waiting for any breaks in the weather. I guess I wore out my worrying after that first day as while I was still a little anxious about the coming first jump, but I wasnt scared like I had been.

First jump was on a gorgeous day, floated down to a standing landing and had to be yelled into a "dynamic PLF", lest this jump not count. The rest of the jumps (in a compressed schedule of 3 days total) were every bit as pleasant. I thought jump school wasnt too bad a time. I dont know what its like now but the whole school/training areas back then reeked of the generations of jumpers that came before.

Ft.Benning seemed like a pretty nice Post too, probably the neatest and cleanest I saw when I was in.

OH58D
07-23-19, 22:13
I went through in 1979(?) at the US Forest SErvice Aerial Fire Depot, Missoula, Mopntana. Two weeks, it was MTT course taught by 7th SFGA (IRRC) for the 19th SFGA out of Utah. No tower week. I was 26 years old, had come into the Army Reserve as a Sergeant and just had a grand old time.

Got to admit, Pathfinder and Jumpmaster were a little more stressful, but still a hoot.
You're older than me. I was a contract ROTC cadet at Fort Knox in 1978 doing the Early Commissioning Program, which had just been opened to 4 year universities. My school was the University of Arizona. The picture below was taken at Fort Knox in July 1978, a month before graduation and my acceptance to Jump School. I am the one seated with the watch on my right wrist looking at the camera. I was 18 years old and my first time in Kentucky. I am left handed, left eye dominant, but I shoot right handed. Got my Expert Badge for Rifle and Grenade. Wasn't worth a damn with the Colt 1911. Enjoyed shooting that M16A1.

I commissioned at age 20, less than two years after this picture, but was non-deployable until I finished my Bachelors Degree. Less than 5 years after this picture, I was a full-fledged Army Aviator:
https://i.imgur.com/Eq9INh3h.jpg

PrarieDog
07-23-19, 22:56
That would be me pissing myself but funny to see him thrown off. Watched a guy become a human lawn dart doing static line jumps and landing in the field next to my grandfather's place. Saw him burn in except for the last 20 feet or so. Reserve shoot didn't open either. Always was interested in skydiving but pretty much curd of it at the tender age of 10 yo.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-19, 05:50
Chick with mascara at 0;55?

GH41
07-24-19, 06:59
Chick with mascara at 0;55?

Sure it was a chick? Looked a lot like Prince to me.

Arik
07-24-19, 07:00
Showed this to a Ukrainian guy at work. He said......I don't know about today but back in the day no one asked you where you wanted to serve. They simply assigned you to where they needed people.

If that's still true today this guy may not have had a choice

Watrdawg
07-24-19, 07:07
I went through in July of 86 and had a blast. 1st jump I was the last man in the last stick on a C141 and I was more than ready to get the hell out of that plane. Talk about a roller coaster ride in over 100 degree heat! 2nd and 3rd jumps I was the 1st person in the door. the 3rd jump was our night jump. Talk about cool! The Jumpmaster said go and I was gone before he could finish the word.

Wake27
07-24-19, 07:25

I hear a lot of people saying that after just sitting there for hours and hours and everyone is dehydrated because no one wants to have to deal with that while you have all of your stuff on. Hopefully by the middle of September, Benning will start cooling off.

Firefly
07-24-19, 08:14
Hopefully by the middle of September, Benning will start cooling off.

POINT AT HIM

POINT AT HIM AND LAUGH!!!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/941708492006119873/4648F762A17684ED9708ADC1A833A4C36B1CBCEF/

Try November, slick.

There is a reason HK is in Georgia....

Because the weather thinks you suck and hates you. You. You personally. For no reason.

lowprone
07-24-19, 09:24
If it is higher than my head or deeper than a potato I'm not interested.

chuckman
07-24-19, 09:56
If it is higher than my head or deeper than a potato I'm not interested.

In the water I am good. Combat dive school? No problem. Lock in and lock out of a submarine? No problem. Anything higher than about 10 ft? Yeah, no bueno.

I had orders to jump school and conveniently managed to get a billet in another school instead, punting it. Never did manage to get to it.

26 Inf
07-24-19, 09:57
I don't know about you guys, but I really started figuring it out about jump 10. Maybe I'm a little slow, but it took me that long to figure out 'eff, it, I'm doing a right side PLF, no matter what.'

I was in a reserve pathfinder platoon, and our unit administrator (who at that time pretty much ran the show) was a jumping junkie. At least twice a year we had a voluntary one day 'hop and pop' drill where we'd get a Huey and a bunch of chutes and just jump. It was good practice for our new troops setting up and running a DZ. We had a lot of guys who weren't crazy about jumping, so they didn't show at these drills, and you could usually count on getting a couple of jumps. I showed up at every one, I once got 6 jumps in a day at one of those voluntary drills.

If I jumped a dash-1 today, an ambulance would be hauling me off the DZ. :rolleyes:

07-24-19, 10:08
If I jumped a dash-1 today, an ambulance would be hauling me off the DZ. :rolleyes:

Last time I jumped a -1 instead of my spoiled ass MC-6, I separated my shoulder.

ramairthree
07-24-19, 10:17
I could not believe how fast my first jump was over. Benning about 34 years ago.

My idea of parachuting was this long, long descent, fighting with the bad guy for your parachute from watching movie of the week on Sunday night like James Bond.

I honestly thought the time from chute opening to landing would be much longer. It was like jump, 4-1000, open, land. Way too fast.

My second jump some man part had been squished under a leg strap.
That jump did feel long and like it took forever.

grnamin
07-24-19, 10:42

Speaking of pucker factor... one 'trooper in my old unit freely admitted that he crapped in his pants on his first jump. :D
The running part... During jump week, we were told it was to help determine if anyone was injured and didn't want to admit to it.

Dammit, half these links are dead ends for me.... but it sounds amazing!

On one of my jumps at airborne school(1997) we had french officer join us so he could add US jump wings to his resume. Well he froze in the door for whatever french reason he had and quickly got a big ole US jump boot to back. Out he went. I hope he looks fondly upon those wings.

1988... Jump exchange with the French in Pamiers, France. The French thought we were crazy for riding each other's pack tray out the door as soon as the green light went on.

OH58D
07-24-19, 11:13
After Jump school in 1978, I never intended to do anything Infantry related in the future with the exception of rappelling with my college ROTC unit. It had no appeal to me. Then I arrived to Fort Campbell in July 1983 and I was goaded into Air Assault School. A new 1LT with my aviation unit doesn't escape scorn of not completing Air Assault, so I did it that month. Those 10 days were tougher than Jump School and I almost boloed Day Zero when I nearly slipped off during the rope climb on the obstacle course. Everything else was fine, despite the fact that on the final day, my 12 mile ruck time was 2 hours, 43 minutes, with bleeding blisters on my feet...17 minutes to spare. I was at the back of the group for most of that ruck.

Wake27
07-24-19, 11:45
POINT AT HIM

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/941708492006119873/4648F762A17684ED9708ADC1A833A4C36B1CBCEF/

Try November, slick.

Because the weather thinks you suck and hates you. You. You personally. For no reason.

You could’ve just let be ignorant. Last time I was there was May-August but it was surprisingly cold in the mornings for those first two weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
07-24-19, 12:40
POINT AT HIM

Try November, slick.

Because the weather thinks you suck and hates you. You. You personally. For no reason.I was on Benning Saturday. Even by 10:30 AM it already sucked and the gnats were miserable.

Sept is just 3rd Summer, with 4-5 more to go.

WillBrink
07-24-19, 13:28
And to think I paid $ to jump from a perfectly good plane! How would US modern mil handle such a thing? I'm sure back in the day he'd have left that plane one way or another as the Russian did, but what about today? Hugs and stern talking to or do they get a US issue boot to the back side as others mentioned in prior times?

GH41
07-24-19, 16:15
This thread reminded me of an old joke... Seems that during paratrooper training it came time to jump from the plane and the soldier froze. He couldn't jump. The Sarge approached and told him to jump. He said, "I can't. I'm scared".

The Sargent pulls out his nine inch pecker and says, "If you don't jump I'm gonna stick this up your ass".

His friend ask, "Well, did you jump"?

Our soldier says, "Yeah, but only a little when he first stuck it in".

sgtrock82
07-24-19, 16:16
And to think I paid $ to jump from a perfectly good plane! How would US modern mil handle such a thing? I'm sure back in the day he'd have left that plane one way or another as the Russian did, but what about today? Hugs and stern talking to or do they get a US issue boot to the back side as others mentioned in prior times?These days who knows, but I doubt It happens very much. I didnt see any "jump refusal" while I was in. There were guys less than enthusiastic about jumping and would strive to do as few as required to keep the jump pay flowing ($110-150/ month).

We did have a guy who asked to have his jump status terminated the very minute he arrived from replacement. That poor fool, What a ruckus he caused. We had joked about such things extensively, but no one knew how to handle it when it actually happened. He spent the next month or so being flogged from shit detail to shit detail, every shit detail that the 1st sgt could find or think up for him. Somebody hyphenated "Leg" into his two syllable last name and we all ran with it. He insisted he wasnt afraid, but oddly didnt want to be considered a quitter either...?

Im sure it was a long painful enlistment...hes probably actually a sergeant major by now lmao!

sgtrock82
07-24-19, 16:24
Speaking of pucker factor... one 'trooper in my old unit freely admitted that he crapped in his pants on his first jump. :D
The running part... During jump week, we were told it was to help determine if anyone was injured and didn't want to admit to it.

1988... Jump exchange with the French in Pamiers, France. The French thought we were crazy for riding each other's pack tray out the door as soon as the green light went on.I had heard later on that French jump procedures were much different, along the lines of everyone stops in the doorway before exiting but I couldnt confirm it. The french must need 3 miles of DZ to empty an aircraft, no wonder Dien Bien Phu fell.

docsherm
07-24-19, 16:31

This..... all 5 at Benning.

GTF425
07-24-19, 16:39
How would US modern mil handle such a thing?

If you refuse to jump, the Jumpmaster will give the command "Green Light, go" a total of three times. If the Jumper fails to exit after the third command, the Safety will secure the Jumper by the pack tray, and remove them from the Paratroop Door. The Safety will seat the Jumper out of the way and give the Jumper a lawful order to not touch their equipment. If time allows, he will move back to the Paratroop Door and continue exiting Jumpers. Upon landing, the Jumper will be JMPI'd by a current, qualified Jumpmaster and receive a technical inspection by a Rigger. If a deficiency is found with your equipment, you will be issued new equipment and placed in to another stick. If there are no deficiencies with your equipment, you will be subject to UCMJ.

Or something like that, been a while.

Never saw a refusal in 40ish jumps.

GTF425
07-24-19, 16:43
instead of my spoiled ass MC-6

I hate you.

flenna
07-24-19, 18:13
I would never volunteer to jump out of a plane but if I somehow found myself in the same position as that paratrooper I would be probably be doing the same thing ;).

WillBrink
07-24-19, 18:22
If you refuse to jump, the Jumpmaster will give the command "Green Light, go" a total of three times. If the Jumper fails to exit after the third command, the Safety will secure the Jumper by the pack tray, and remove them from the Paratroop Door. The Safety will seat the Jumper out of the way and give the Jumper a lawful order to not touch their equipment. If time allows, he will move back to the Paratroop Door and continue exiting Jumpers. Upon landing, the Jumper will be JMPI'd by a current, qualified Jumpmaster and receive a technical inspection by a Rigger. If a deficiency is found with your equipment, you will be issued new equipment and placed in to another stick. If there are no deficiencies with your equipment, you will be subject to UCMJ.

No doubt it's rare. I'm sure US personnel are well prepared by the time they get up there and certainly don't want to be the person who refuses to go.

Arik
07-24-19, 18:27

Never saw a refusal in 40ish jumps.Isn't it something one volunteers for? Like you can be a mechanic and go through jump school?

07-24-19, 18:53
I hate you.

Lololol. I’ve had a nice career, spoiled as shit, but lots of time overseas.

Isn't it something one volunteers for? Like you can be a mechanic and go through jump school?

Yes, but volunteering to jump, and actually doing it are different. You might be surprised what you learn about yourself in various schools.

26 Inf
07-24-19, 19:18
After Jump school in 1978, I never intended to do anything Infantry related in the future with the exception of rappelling with my college ROTC unit. It had no appeal to me. Then I arrived to Fort Campbell in July 1983 and I was goaded into Air Assault School. A new 1LT with my aviation unit doesn't escape scorn of not completing Air Assault, so I did it that month. Those 10 days were tougher than Jump School and I almost boloed Day Zero when I nearly slipped off during the rope climb on the obstacle course. Everything else was fine, despite the fact that on the final day, my 12 mile ruck time was 2 hours, 43 minutes, with bleeding blisters on my feet...17 minutes to spare. I was at the back of the group for most of that ruck.

Try going through the rappelmaster course sporting a torch. I didn't help matters by getting caught sounding off 'aersol' and 'air insult.' I knew things were going bad when for some reason I stepped forward to be the first to aussie down the wall and they hooked me up with about 12 feet of slack. I'm a left and for an instant I thought I'd been wrapped wrong, I slammed my hand into my chest and tightened my hand so hard it hurt afterwards, I'm pretty sure I let out a death wail but I asked one of the other pathfinders and he told me they hadn't heard anything.

What really pissed the cadre off was the fact that myself and two other pathfinders had been let into the course w/o bullwinkle wings by the school commandant. I iced the cake by being one of two graduates, the other was a chemical corps captain from on post someplace. The final exercise was a stabo ride which was interrupted midway by an extended dunk in a lake. The Captain and I decided they really didn't like us.

It was all good though, I got paid.

GTF425
07-24-19, 19:28

I remember my 24th birthday marking my 30th month deployed, and wondering how it added up so fast.

But I'll be damned if I don't miss a lot of it.

GTF425
07-24-19, 19:29
Isn't it something one volunteers for? Like you can be a mechanic and go through jump school?

Yes.

And the majority of graduates never serve in an Airborne unit.

Arik
07-24-19, 19:52

Yes, but volunteering to jump, and actually doing it are different. You might be surprised what you learn about yourself in various schools.I mean in the sense that if you don't you face a court martial. He mentioned UCMJ

26 Inf
07-24-19, 20:06
I would never volunteer to jump out of a plane but if I somehow found myself in the same position as that paratrooper I would be probably be doing the same thing ;).

I think there are several reasons you don't see many jump refusals:

- first and foremost you volunteer going into an airborne slot; the first week of jump school gives those having second thoughts ample opportunity to quit with some degree of self-esteem - faking an injury, falling out on runs, etc;

- during the second week (commonly called tower week at Benning), the 34' tower is designed to not only practice exits, but also to weed out those with an inordinate fear of heights, after that on to the 250 foot towers for a further check (https://www.oldonesdream.com/my-blog/2014/06/why-34-foot-climbing-walls-and-jump-towers.html)

- if the soldier makes it through all of that and onto the aircraft, peerr pressure is a powerful motivator.

I spent 11 years on jump status in the reserves, the last 5-6 as platoon sergeant of our pathfinder platoon.

During that time I saw no jump refusals.

When I was a team leader, I saw one guy who bullshitted his way into the unit with fake paperwork claiming he had been on jump status with the Texas ARNG, he came into the unit just a couple days before we were doing a flyaway drill for four days of winter training. He completed sustained airborne training (lecture and practice of actions in the aircraft, exits, and parachute landing falls) and jumped a C-130 into Colorado, and then back into our home DZ near Wellington, KS. I followed him out the door both times, watching like a hawk, because he was senior to me and been assigned into my TL slot, no problems. Before the next drill the PL, who knew I was pissed, called me and told me SSG S******n wouldn't be taken over as TL as he had falsified papers and as far as they could tell, had never been to jump school. I hadn't liked the guy in the short time I knew him, I thought he was a BS artist, but got to admit my opinion of his balls went up, two C-130 jumps with no experience, kudos.

Getting back to jump refusals, the reserves were a different animal, and a reserve airborne unit was a different animal from other reserve units. Guys that didn't want to jump after they got back from jump school could just transfer to another unit citing job conflict with all our 3 and 4 day drills. Other guys simply stopped showing up, we'd chase them down to get our gear, but beyond that, eff them, we had folks waiting in line.

There were a lot of guys who didn't like jumping but stuck it out for one reason or another (if you were a young troop and couldn't get screwed on a drill weekend with a hospital unit wearing a beret, you weren't trying). I generally knew them because they didn't go out of their way to get any extra jumps or work out job conflicts which kept them from four day drills (almost always out of state airborne operations into training sites).

The biggest thing about jumping is trusting yourself, your fellow soldiers, and your equipment. Actually, jumping isn't a particularly dangerous activity.

GTF425
07-24-19, 20:21
I mean in the sense that if you don't you face a court martial. He mentioned UCMJ

No one would court martial for it.

In jump school, likely just dropped from the course and sent worldwide.

In your unit, I imagine a Field Grade Article 15, a shitload of hazing, and PCS orders somewhere far away.

07-24-19, 21:14
I remember my 24th birthday marking my 30th month deployed, and wondering how it added up so fast.

But I'll be damned if I don't miss a lot of it.

Absolutely. Life is different when you stop rotating forward. Stay safe.

grnamin
07-24-19, 21:25

I'm impressed. That's the 82nd ASOP almost word for word.

Arik
07-24-19, 21:46
No one would court martial for it.

In jump school, likely just dropped from the course and sent worldwide.

In your unit, I imagine a Field Grade Article 15, a shitload of hazing, and PCS orders somewhere far away.Ah! Gotcha! I saw you mentioned the UCMJ and thought it might be some kind of law or something where a soldier would have to face disciplinary charges

GTF425
07-24-19, 21:47
I'm impressed. That's the 82nd ASOP almost word for word.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/029/777/worthy.jpg

sniperfrog
07-25-19, 12:12
This..... all 5 at Benning.

Same here. They leave you sitting around for so long waiting to jump that I thought my bladder would rupture. It had nothing to do with being afraid to jump. 6+ hours of sitting and waiting with no piss break.

chuckman
07-25-19, 12:22
When I was a team leader, I saw one guy who bullshitted his way into the unit with fake paperwork claiming he had been on jump status with the Texas ARNG, he came into the unit just a couple days before we were doing a flyaway drill for four days of winter training. He completed sustained airborne training (lecture and practice of actions in the aircraft, exits, and parachute landing falls) and jumped a C-130 into Colorado, and then back into our home DZ near Wellington, KS. I followed him out the door both times, watching like a hawk, because he was senior to me and been assigned into my TL slot, no problems. Before the next drill the PL, who knew I was pissed, called me and told me SSG S******n wouldn't be taken over as TL as he had falsified papers and as far as they could tell, had never been to jump school. I hadn't liked the guy in the short time I knew him, I thought he was a BS artist, but got to admit my opinion of his balls went up, two C-130 jumps with no experience, kudos.

We had a reservist attached to us for his two weeks, claimed to be "a diver", okay, no problem. We went to do some training, and as we are strapping on the Draeger he was having a whole lot of problems putting it on. Okay, no problem, maybe he just had not gotten checked out on it. Upon further investigation, he had taken a civilian PADI class like 10 years before and had not actually been underwater in eight years. How he fell through the cracks, I have no idea.