PDA

View Full Version : Big Thanks to Monty / Corrie (Centurion Arms)

Jwknutson17
07-23-19, 23:08
I know others have similar experiences with Centurion Arms, but Monty and Corrie deserve some props for their exceptional products, customer service, and the great folks they are.

I have been using their products for a long time and there is a reason for that. I have used and abused pretty much everything and I seem to always come back to Centurion parts for builds. From the C4 rails that go back many years, Crane spec mk12 barrels that Hammer, RECCE barrels, the very best 12.5 carbine barrel available from anyone (yes I'm talking about someone actually porting this barrel properly), the 14.5 / 16 inch middle weight profile barrels that most folks didn't even know about, to the cost/performance for their BCGs, and the newer CMR rails. Just top notch all around. And I haven't even gotten into the latest and greatest offerings they are coming out with and already have.

Their are only a handful of companies in the industry that are this "hands on". My receipts have a hand written thank you on it. If you happen to have a problem you deal with Corrie and it's solved instantly. You have a tech question you get Monty on the phone. That just isn't the normal these days and this attention to detail and support can't go unrecognized.

I always like to support Centurion and recommend their products not just because of what I mentioned above, but because they truly have some of the best products available that just work. The rest is just a bonus.

Thanks Monty and Corrie. Your products, hard work, attention to detail, and the way you treat your customers makes for an easy decision when choosing parts for rifles. Keep up the good work. And for anyone who hasen't tried Centurion, you need to... Your missing out.

Thanks,

Jake

NYH1
07-24-19, 01:26
Centurion Arms is good to go for sure!

NYH1.

556BlackRifle
07-24-19, 01:38
Centurion Arms is good to go for sure!

NYH1.

+1 I couldn't have said it any better.

kyjd75
07-24-19, 04:42
I am relatively new to the AR world, but not to the world of shooting. In getting into AR's my experience with Centurion Arms has been like most everyone's--just outstanding. Purchased a 12" C4 rail for a Sig M400 Vtac which fit perfectly, looks great, and is solid as a rock. Most recently purchased a complete lower with a Geissele Super Tricon trigger. Had email discussions with Corrie about the trigger, which they were happy to obtain and install at no extra charge. I think I will be putting together a 12.5 upper soon from then once I get my Form 1 approved (in the process now). Depending on what it is I'm looking for, Centurion Arms is definitely one of my "go to" places. Their products are top notch and their friendly service can't be beat.

mark5pt56
07-24-19, 06:42
Yes, they are on top of things for sure! I may look into another upper or complete one, may be a 11.5 pistol and do the paperwork. I would want a FSB though on this one.

JediGuy
07-24-19, 07:02
I have had excellent experiences each time I’ve called or purchased. The products are top notch. The handwritten note was completely unexpected, and it did stick with me.

seb5
07-24-19, 07:33
Agreed, I still use the C-4's and some of the best barrels available.

Hammer_Man
07-24-19, 10:16
They are definitely one of the top vendors I have purchased from.

Brian H
07-24-19, 10:56
Nothing but great experiences here too. Had a small hiccup on a recent order and no sooner had I sent an email I had Corrie and Monty's immediate attention and they identified the issue and resolved it within a couple hours. Great to deal with all around.

- Brian

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

titsonritz
07-24-19, 12:27
They are definitely at the top of this industry.

Rogue556
07-24-19, 13:05
They have been nothing short of awesome with every interaction I've had with them. The MK12 barrel I have shoots lights out with CBC/Magtech 77gr. My last 6 round group out of that barrel measured .55" @ 100, and it's been sub MOA with every factory 77gr SMK load I've used.

This thread reminds me, I need to pick up one of their hammer forged barrels in 12.5".

(Does anyone have one of their newer production 12.5" barrels? They used to run .065 ports I believe. Does anyone know if that's still the case?)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

markm
07-24-19, 13:18
Reminds me that I want one of the Mk 18 FSP rails when I can find one.

jpmuscle
07-24-19, 13:41
Reminds me that I want one of the Mk 18 FSP rails when I can find one.

D&D could be our saviors but they’re to busy pandering to nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwknutson17
07-24-19, 13:42
They have been nothing short of awesome with every interaction I've had with them. The MK12 barrel I have shoots lights out with CBC/Magtech 77gr. My last 6 round group out of that barrel measured .55" @ 100, and it's been sub MOA with every factory 77gr SMK load I've used.

This thread reminds me, I need to pick up one of their hammer forged barrels in 12.5".

(Does anyone have one of their newer production 12.5" barrels? They used to run .065 ports I believe. Does anyone know if that's still the case?)

The new 12.5 carbine barrels are .064 gas ports. The mid length 12.5 is .080. According to Centurion.

BillB
07-24-19, 16:10
I'll agree with the good sentiments rendered here to Corrie and Monty. They're great folks and just great examples of the kindness human beings are capable of yet sadly so few exhibit these days.
A couple years ago I asked something of them that I in all honesty had no right to expect they should agree to but guess what, they did. Corrie and I actually even struck up an email back and forth and I can tell you what, she has a great heart. Very easy to converse with.
Now, I too am the proud owner of Mr. LeClairs awesome Mk12's not to mention quite a few other Centurion products and they're all as good as I could ask for.

markm
07-24-19, 17:49
D&D could be our saviors but they’re to busy pandering to nonsense

They released every rail BUT the Mk18 FSP.

Diamondback
07-24-19, 18:17
They released every rail BUT the Mk18 FSP.

Don't forget GL/SSC, whether FSP or not... I don't count two dozen for friends and insiders as "release." :p

sig1473
07-24-19, 19:06
I was fortunate enough to get to meet Monty and Corrie last June and tour their shop. Monty is truly a fountain of knowledge. I recommend their products to every serious prospective AR buyer.

Caduceus
07-24-19, 22:11
I keep driving through IN and want to stop, but it's always houra away and I doubt the family would let me!

Had great CS and emails a few months ago while purchasing a rifle from them.

Merle
07-24-19, 22:47
I had the exact opposite experience with their 308 receiver set I bought. I have since sold off or given away all of my Centurion Arms products and wouldn't ever buy any of their stuff again.

mark5pt56
07-25-19, 05:37
I had the exact opposite experience with their 308 receiver set I bought. I have since sold off or given away all of my Centurion Arms products and wouldn't ever buy any of their stuff again.

Waiting for a response to this one. I'm not a detective but I think the answer is in "a set" meaning where did the rest come from?

kyjd75
07-25-19, 08:26

So how about a little more detail as to what happened that was so bad it made you swear off Centurion Arms and get rid of "all my Centurion Arms products"?

Merle
07-25-19, 11:29
So how about a little more detail as to what happened that was so bad it made you swear off Centurion Arms and get rid of "all my Centurion Arms products"?

It was due to the receiver set being grossly out of spec and the way the took care of it. I was probably one of the first people who bought one of their 308 receiver sets when they came back in stock on 11/28/2018. I had anxiously waited for them to come back in stock for around a year and hit the button to purchase a set within minutes of receiving the back in stock notification; to say I was excited would be an understatement!

I had been accumulating a few parts for the "build" and immediately starting assembling it when I arrived back from picking up the set from my FFL. I'll start with describing the problems with the lower receiver. The bore for the receiver extension was out of round with the bottom of the bore being the bad spot. I measured the inside of the bore with the back side of my calipers which confirmed this. I didn't record the numbers but the bore was definitely taller than it was wide. The receiver extension (genuine KAC SR25) was barely even catching the threads in the lower area there was a ton of slop in the fit due to this. I'm talking around 3/4 of deflection or so with the RE screwed into the lower without the castle nut being tightened down. I tightened down the castle nut and it tilted upwards at about 2 degrees. There is no way the BCG would have reciprocated in and out of the RE without binding. I emailed Corrie and we agreed I would send it back so they could further inspect it. I was still waiting on the hand guard, barrel, and charging handle to come in so I hadn't started assembling the upper at that point. Like an anxious kid wanting to get the gun put together as fast as possible I sent the lower back to them in hopes to have a replacement asap. I should have waited until I got my upper parts.

Now I'll describe the problems with the upper. The charging handle would go in about 1/4 of the way and then get tight. At about half way it would pretty much not go anymore without excessive force. Instead of damaging something I didn't try to go any further. The charging handle used was a brand new BCM gunfighter that measured dead nuts to the specs on the charging handle drawings. Next up is the barrel nut threads. The barrel nut screwed on so sloppily that it almost didn't even engage the threads on the upper. When compared to a Mega Maten upper and a Cross Machine Tool upper they were around .030 smaller in diameter. I wouldn't have even dared to try to torque the nut as it probably would have damaged the threads on the upper. The hand guard was a Troy with DPMS compatible threads. The nut from this handguard fit the other 2 uppers without issue. So I emailed Corrie explaining this issue in pretty good detail. She seemed eager to help and asked for me to send the upper back so they could inspect it.

Fast forward about a week and I got an email from Corrie saying that Monty inspected everything and it was all fine and in spec. Furthermore, they wouldn't send me another set because all of their sets were made to the same spec and I would just have the same issues using my parts on another set. My problems were just chalked up to "tolerance stacking" and they would give me a refund of the receiver set price and the shipping I paid to get it to my FFL. I accepted and moved on with my life as I didn't see any use in arguing with them. So I'm out the FFL fee, the shipping costs incurred to get the set back to them, my time, and the money I spent on a set of KAC pivot and take down pins that I no longer had a use for. By the way, those did fit nicely in the lower. Too bad they don't fit in other lowers so I could have used them somewhere else.

So yea, I'm done with Centurion Arms for good.

Jwknutson17
07-25-19, 13:00
It was due to the receiver set being grossly out of spec and the way the took care of it. I was probably one of the first people who bought one of their 308 receiver sets when they came back in stock on 11/28/2018. I had anxiously waited for them to come back in stock for around a year and hit the button to purchase a set within minutes of receiving the back in stock notification; to say I was excited would be an understatement!

I had been accumulating a few parts for the "build" and immediately starting assembling it when I arrived back from picking up the set from my FFL. I'll start with describing the problems with the lower receiver. The bore for the receiver extension was out of round with the bottom of the bore being the bad spot. I measured the inside of the bore with the back side of my calipers which confirmed this. I didn't record the numbers but the bore was definitely taller than it was wide. The receiver extension (genuine KAC SR25) was barely even catching the threads in the lower area there was a ton of slop in the fit due to this. I'm talking around 3/4 of deflection or so with the RE screwed into the lower without the castle nut being tightened down. I tightened down the castle nut and it tilted upwards at about 2 degrees. There is no way the BCG would have reciprocated in and out of the RE without binding. I emailed Corrie and we agreed I would send it back so they could further inspect it. I was still waiting on the hand guard, barrel, and charging handle to come in so I hadn't started assembling the upper at that point. Like an anxious kid wanting to get the gun put together as fast as possible I sent the lower back to them in hopes to have a replacement asap. I should have waited until I got my upper parts.

Now I'll describe the problems with the upper. The charging handle would go in about 1/4 of the way and then get tight. At about half way it would pretty much not go anymore without excessive force. Instead of damaging something I didn't try to go any further. The charging handle used was a brand new BCM gunfighter that measured dead nuts to the specs on the charging handle drawings. Next up is the barrel nut threads. The barrel nut screwed on so sloppily that it almost didn't even engage the threads on the upper. When compared to a Mega Maten upper and a Cross Machine Tool upper they were around .030 smaller in diameter. I wouldn't have even dared to try to torque the nut as it probably would have damaged the threads on the upper. The hand guard was a Troy with DPMS compatible threads. The nut from this handguard fit the other 2 uppers without issue. So I emailed Corrie explaining this issue in pretty good detail. She seemed eager to help and asked for me to send the upper back so they could inspect it.

Fast forward about a week and I got an email from Corrie saying that Monty inspected everything and it was all fine and in spec. Furthermore, they wouldn't send me another set because all of their sets were made to the same spec and I would just have the same issues using my parts on another set. My problems were just chalked up to "tolerance stacking" and they would give me a refund of the receiver set price and the shipping I paid to get it to my FFL. I accepted and moved on with my life as I didn't see any use in arguing with them. So I'm out the FFL fee, the shipping costs incurred to get the set back to them, my time, and the money I spent on a set of KAC pivot and take down pins that I no longer had a use for. By the way, those did fit nicely in the lower. Too bad they don't fit in other lowers so I could have used them somewhere else.

So yea, I'm done with Centurion Arms for good.

Sounds like they did you right by refunding your money on something you "thought" was out of spec but they verified was still in spec?

It does sound like stacking of tolerances across the board, especially with Troy parts, and even when they measured it again for you to verify it was in spec, they STILL gave you a refund. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Can't please everyone I guess. Either way, thanks for sharing your experience.

Rogue556
07-25-19, 13:09
The new 12.5 carbine barrels are .064 gas ports. The mid length 12.5 is .080. According to Centurion.Awesome, that's good to know. Looks like I'll be picking one up. Thanks for the info.

Merle
07-25-19, 13:14
Sounds like they did you right by refunding your money on something you "thought" was out of spec but they verified was still in spec?

It does sound like stacking of tolerances across the board, especially with Troy parts, and even when they measured it again for you to verify it was in spec, they STILL gave you a refund. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Can't please everyone I guess. Either way, thanks for sharing your experience.

But it was out of spec according to my experience in 24 years of measuring and assembling precision parts as an aircraft mechanic. Thanks for discounting my experience as me just being a whiney customer that cant be pleased. But i pretty much expected it.

Jwknutson17
07-25-19, 13:15
That .063-.065 range gas port is perfect for the 12.5 carbine and the timing/feel/and mix between suppressed and non suppressed shooting is ideal! I've cut down a lot of barrels over the years and messed with a lot of Adj gas blocks, and yet to find a barrel that shoots as well as the properly ported 12.5 carbine barrel out of the box. There is a reason that barrel was so highly sought after.

Jwknutson17
07-25-19, 13:21
But it was out of spec according to my experience in 24 years of measuring and assembling precision parts as an aircraft mechanic. Thanks for discounting my experience as me just being a whiney customer that cant be pleased. But i pretty much expected it.

Sucks it didn't work out for you, I agree. But they did refund you your money.

What would have been bad is if they just sent you your parts back and said deal with it, it's in spec.

I didn't discount your experience at all.

Merle
07-25-19, 13:33
Sucks it didn't work out for you, I agree. But they did refund you your money.

What would have been bad is if they just sent you your parts back and said deal with it, it's in spec.

I didn't discount your experience at all.
Yea they could have. I wonder why they didn't? Maybe because i could have possibly posted pictures and measurements on the net or maybe youtube videos? And by the way an out of round hole isn't considered tolerance stacking

AAMP84
07-25-19, 13:55
Yea they could have. I wonder why they didn't? Maybe because i could have possibly posted pictures and measurements on the net or maybe youtube videos? And by the way an out of round hole isn't considered tolerance stacking
Probably should've taken pics to post if you were gonna post about it anyways. Right now, you're just some guy disparaging a company that has a highly positive reputation on this board without proof.

Merle
07-25-19, 13:59
Probably should've taken pics to post if you were gonna post about it anyways. Right now, you're just some guy disparaging a company that has a highly positive reputation on this board without proof.

Thats the upper barrel spigot measuring 1.403 and It should be around 1.430. I didn't take pictures of the lower because I was sure they would see it was out of spec. It's not like I bought this set with some sort of devious plan devised to trash a company that up to that point i was a huge fan of.

mark5pt56
07-25-19, 14:30
Let's start a new thread in the appropriate section on this topic so the original intent is not lost. All other comments on the .308 set will be deleted if posted on this one.

kyjd75
07-26-19, 03:55
After reading all of the comments posted, I did the only sensible thing I could think of. I just purchased another 12" C4 Centurion Arms rail from Brownells. This is for my other Sig M400 Vtac. They were back in stock and Brownells had a 10% off coupon plus free shipping. I much prefer the C4 to the Troy Alpha rail that comes standard (not a bad rail but M-Lok just isn't my thing).