PDA

View Full Version : AAR:Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5-N.C. April 18-20,2009-Videos added Feb. 3

GLOCKMASTER
11-12-08, 18:41
ORIGINAL DATES HAVE CHANGED. THE NEW DATES HAVE BEEN LISTED.

Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics (http://www.vikingtactics.com/) will conduct his Carbine 1.5 Course April 18-20,2009. This class will be conducted at a private range in Linden, NC.

Kyle Lamb is a retired Army SGM and had a long career in the Army Special Operations community and is also the author of the book Green Eyes and Black Rifles (http://www.vikingtactics.com/book.html).

Carbine 1.5 is not an introductory course, however for a trained shooter this course will take you to the next level. This course will teach you the skills to allow you to operate safely as a member of an entry team or as a Patrol Rifle Officer. This course is fast paced yet thorough, we teach the basic fundamentals and then ask for these fundamentals to be applied in extreme situations. This course is physically demanding. This course will cover the following areas. Course prerequisites, VTAC Basic Carbine Course or equivalent. The class will cover the following:

Fighting Stance
Weapon Retention
Position Shooting (Basic and Obscure)
Barricade/Field Positions
Proper Loading Techniques
Use of Optics
Transitions to Sidearm
Support side shooting
Malfunctions
Shooting while moving
Facing Movements
External Ballistics
Terminal Ballistics
Corner Clears
Sling Use
Quick Target Acquisition
Target Discrimination

Cost:$600.00

AAR (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15545) from previous class.

Equipment needed:
Carbine and Pistol Courses
Rifle w/4-30 Round Magazines
Pistol with 5 Magazines
Handheld Light
Rifle Mounted Light
Sling
Spare Batteries
Knee Pads
Elbow Pads
Water and Snacks
Wrap Around Eye Protection
Ear Protection
Gear to hold 4 pistol magazines and 3 rifle magazines
Sunscreen
Notebook w/pencil
Small Sharpie
Rain Gear
Warmies
Gloves
Weapons Lube
1800 Rounds Rifle/ 250 Rounds Pistol

VTAC Videos

VTAC Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJzJGawqLs&feature=PlayList&p=E959CB9C7E59AD5F&index=0)

VTAC Video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55MHk8Q-2E&feature=PlayList&p=E959CB9C7E59AD5F&index=1)

VTAC Video 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGPEgRZwIw&feature=PlayList&p=E959CB9C7E59AD5F&index=2)

VTAC Video 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCpOt9xVy4&feature=channel_page)

For other information or registration I can be contacted at jfreuler@hotmail.com or contact Jack White at jmwhite3@gmail.com

NoBody
11-12-08, 18:52
Deleted.

TheRock
11-30-08, 19:02
Is Pat R's Carbine Operator's Course an accepted pre-req?

The Viking Tactics site doesn't define what is or isn't acceptable from what I can tell.

Thanks!

GLOCKMASTER
11-30-08, 19:12
Is Pat R's Carbine Operator's Course an accepted pre-req?

The Viking Tactics site doesn't define what is or isn't acceptable from what I can tell.

Thanks!

Yes..

Gutshot John
12-11-08, 11:04
I am so there. I've always wanted to train with Mr. Lamb and Jeff is an excellent host.

GLOCKMASTER
12-20-08, 21:05
BTT....with new dates listed.:)

GLOCKMASTER
01-13-09, 18:36
Bump...:D

CarlosDJackal
01-16-09, 07:28
It's on!! I'm really looking forward to this class. :)

ronin16
01-16-09, 16:41
This was one of the most bad ass classes I've ever been to. Can't wait to train some more in July with Kyle!!! Bring lots of ammo and don't be shy shoot your ass off!!!!!

Gutshot John
01-26-09, 13:07
Sent my application and check. See you guys there.

Jeff is a great host and I look forward to another of his training opportunities.

Gutshot John
02-15-09, 20:10
Out of curiosity is there any information on lodging for those of us that have to drive a ways to get there?

GLOCKMASTER
02-15-09, 20:21
Out of curiosity is there any information on lodging for those of us that have to drive a ways to get there?

PM sent.

Gutshot John
02-16-09, 09:11
Thanks for the information Jeff.

I also did find a cabin that sleeps 6 about 15 miles away from the range that a buddy and I might share if he comes to the class.

If anyone is attending the class and wants to bunk/split costs let me know. It has a kitchen and I'm a good cook though as citpitch found out I'm not as good at cleaning when I have a flight to catch. ;)

JMW2
02-21-09, 19:39
Another three weeks left to register.

If you are interested in the VTAC Streetfighter (JUN) or Nightfighter (NOV) classes and don't have one of the pre-reqs (VTAC, Pat Rogers, Brian Searcy or Bennie Cooley carbine), now is the time to get it in.

luxor
02-22-09, 08:33
I am in, i will be sending Jeff the paper work this week.

Gutshot John
02-22-09, 17:04
I've reserved/paid for a cabin at the local KOA which will house 6. Has a half-kitchen (no stove) but has cable TV and AC with picnic tables and fire rings. It does have a full bath.

I've got two open spaces (maybe a third) if anyone is going to need a place to stay.

Figure between $30-40/night for lodging depending on how many people we take. They even allow dogs in the cabin though there are fees involved.

Similarly I'm a pretty good cook, so I can do the cooking (if someone cleans) and save more money that way.

GLOCKMASTER
02-22-09, 17:39
Similarly I'm a pretty good cook, so I can do the cooking (if someone cleans) and save more money that way.

John is an excellent cook and you will not find a better meal in town.;)

Gutshot John
02-22-09, 19:33
John is an excellent cook and you will not find a better meal in town.;)

Thank you for the endorsement.

I learned a lot last time about cooking around a shooting class schedule.

We'll have a good time and I'm looking forward to shooting with several familiar faces.

Gutshot John
02-26-09, 15:35
Another spot opened up at the cabin.

We have three open spots if anyone is interested.

Y'all can see if I'm as good a cook as I claim. I guarantee you'll eat well.

diving dave
02-26-09, 16:45
Just a quick plug..I took this class out here when Kyle was in Cali..He's a fantastic instructor, laid back but with a ton of real world experience..great class

Gutshot John
03-16-09, 09:05
Still have three slots at a Cabin if anyone is interested.

luxor
03-16-09, 15:30
Any one going to this class should get in on the cabin. It will cut your lodgeing bill in half and there will be some great company.

There is also a nice open area to clean your rifle after the class. You can also trade info and thoughts about the class or any other class you have been to.

Also, god forbid you have any weapons malfunctions you have a bunch of guys that will go out of there way to help you fix it. I for one bring plenty of extra parts.

And it beats going back to a hotel room and talking to the wife all night.

GLOCKMASTER
04-01-09, 20:54
This class is a go however, there are a couple of slots left.

Gutshot John
04-21-09, 13:24
This was an excellent class thanks to Jeff and Jack for putting this together with Kyle.

This class will push you beyond what you thought you could do with a carbine.

Thanks as well to all the participants. It was a great group of students who knew their stuff and it was a pleasure to watch all of you and learn.

I hope to see all of you at the Night Fighter Class in November.

CarlosDJackal
04-21-09, 14:49
To add to what John posted.

The class was very well-organized and had very minimal downtime. Outside of the last Shooter Evaluation at the end of the last day; the least number of people shooting online was five - that was a for a very specific purpose.

Most of the time it was half of the class (we had 17 students - I think). SGM Lamb built follow-on exercises and drills on the previous exercises and drills. And even with the number of students both SGM Lamb and his towering assistant, "Talkative Dan", provided some very timely and much needed individual feedback.

Although all the drills were shot under the timer and recorded; each one was relevant to and were made to enforce the lessons.

FWIW, the reason this is labeled a Carbine 1.5 is because it is beyond Basic Carbine (Carbine 1?) but not quite as demanding as the next (Carbine 2?). I would not hesitate to recommend this class to anyone who wants to go beyond Basic Rifle/Carbine. :)

Boss Hogg
04-21-09, 15:57
It was great to meet all of the other fellow students. Everyone got along well and played nicely, and was the most squared-away bunch in an open enrollment shooting course I've been to. I believe that Kyle and Dan very quickly identified areas that individuals specifically needed to improve in, (and did so without calling anyone out publicly on it) and I noticed clear progress toward that goal from day 1 to day 3.

I would highly recommend that anyone seriously interested in improving their shooting skills take a VTAC class.

PS: Knees!!!!

30 cal slut
04-21-09, 18:06
i'm a little worried.

i enjoyed that brokeback mountain session too much.

:eek:

30 cal slut
04-21-09, 18:32
1) lots of trigger time. at least 2 reps, usually 3 or even more of each drill.

2) learned new techniques. like that brokeback mountain position. what is that, you ask? heh.

3) i had an excuse, in fact permission, no scratch that, an obligation to try to shoot "faster." like, 10 rounds in 2.5 seconds at the 5 yard line. all in the black on a bullseye target. dunno about you, but my range at home won't let me do that.

4) the class was at times very physical. i found myself winded after a few of the drills. i enjoyed experiencing the extra stress and how it affects shooting.

5) i enjoyed shooting at 100 yards on iron as much as we did.

6) lots of transitioning to support side. good practice.

7) got a chance to do a LOT of barricade shooting on TD3. through the barricade ports (standing, kneeling, rice-paddying, brokebackmountaining, rollover prone) and then around them. with both strong and weak sides.

8) KNEES! oops, sorry, you had it right.

9) i FINALLY found a kneeling and sitting position i can shoot! my favorite kneeling position is the "stretch kneel," and the sitting position that works for me is the "stacked feet" position. no more short-bussing at 100 yards on these positions.

10) the class had a buttoned-down set of participants who truly had their shit together.

11) IIRC, TD1 round count was 650, TD2 round count was 400-450 (not including the 10 handgun rounds we shot). Don't know what TD3 round count was (checking), but I had ammo left over, so the round count was lower than the 1,800 initially planned. (i'm not complaining!)

12) instructor Lamb kept the pace of the class flowing briskly. i think we shot from 9 am to 5 pm ish each day, with a one hour lunch break. sure squeezed a lot in.

13) i am sore as hell, and i think i'm not the only one. must be that brokeback mountain. heh. :D

14) i was reminded that home-brewed rifles can be problematic on the range.

15) james dietz prints are unbelievably inspiring.

30 cal slut
04-21-09, 18:47
"you gonna do this again next summer?"

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/30calslut/standingeasy.jpg

30 cal slut
04-21-09, 18:48
"Well, maybe not."

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/30calslut/brokebackmtn.jpg

30 cal slut
04-21-09, 19:00
not sure if this was mentioned, there was a pretty hefty prize for the top shooter in the class.

an M&P pistol of all things!

GLOCKMASTER
04-21-09, 19:18
Sorry I couldn't be there for this one. An Arlington/DC trip got in the way for TD 1. Then if that wasn't bad enough a phone call from the command staff while I was away kept me away from TD 2 & 3. I'm just glad that two of us coordinated the class so there was a backup.

Kyle is a class act and I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves and took away a lot from this training.

I hope to see some of you in July in the Street Fighter class.

Disclaimer; sent from my crackberry cause the laptop died.

JMW2
04-22-09, 10:32
AAR Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5 18-20 APR 2008 Linden, NC

Preface
This is based on what I observed at the class. I organized it for Kyle but did not
shoot it. Having taken it twice already and there being 17 students, I thought it
best to sit this one out.

Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics conducted his three day Carbine 1.5 class 18-20
April 2009 at a private range in Linden, NC.

Kyle is a former member of US Army Special Operations with extensive real world
experience. His insight into what works and what doesn't when it comes to fighting
with a carbine is invaluable. Assisting Kyle was Dan Brokos. Dan also has a Special
Operations background and is the co-star in the Viking Tactics videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics) on YouTube.

There were 17 people in the class with the usual mix of military, law enforcement
and civilians. They came from as far away as Connecticut, Louisiana, and Texas.
A couple of guys just returned from the Middle East. We also had a representative
from Smith & Wesson putting his M&P15VTAC rifle (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=78964&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y) to the test, quite well I may add
(Does the shameless plug get me that rifle Matt?).

Day 1
Kyle started with an quick introduction and safety briefing, then right into a
discussion on ballistics, zeroing, and basic marksmanship. Zeros were checked
and rechecked at different distances. A series of drills were run from 100yds
and in, using prone, seated, kneeling and standing positions. These reinforced
the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. Moving closer in, we worked on
controlled pairs, failure drills, and multiple targets. You can see examples of
a few drills used to help reinforce the key learning points:
Half & Half Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo)
2x2x2 Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGPEgRZwIw)

DAY 2
A good bit of time was spent going over malfunctions, ensuring we understood
how the specific problems occur and the steps Kyle uses to clear them. He threw
in a good exercise where you ran from around the 30yd line to the 5 where
three weapons with malfunctions were waiting. You had to clear and fire two
shots from each one. More close in work was done, hammering home the
importance of getting your eyes on the next target and driving the weapon
aggressively. After covering forward and lateral movement, we did a few
drills that combined several of the teaching points covered during the first
two days. Here is one example:
Zig Zag Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55MHk8Q-2E)

DAY 3
Transitioning from strong side to support side and the use of different shooting
positions started off the day. Several unusual positions were demonstrated then
we were given time to get comfortable with them. The positions presented may
have seemed odd at first but Kyle gave real world applications where they could
be useful. The barricade portion of the class provided the opportunity to use these
odd positions to engage targets at 100 yards. This was not just get behind the
barricade and shoot, physical exertion was thrown in to make it a greater challenge.
The point of the transitions and positions: one must be comfortable shooting strong
and support side from different positions because you are not always going to
be presented with the perfect situation. The final drill incorporated a lot of what was
taught during the past three days:
Highsmith Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJzJGawqLs)

Kyle's teaching style is pretty laid back. He presents the material clearly and
throws in examples where it could be applicable or where he actually used it.
He challenges you to push yourself, always emphasizing accuracy and speed.
That push results in the improvements I saw in the students by day three.

Guns/Ammo
The VTAC rifle/upper was well represented. There were a few versions: JP,
Noveske, and Smith & Wesson.

Two guys were running S&W 5.45 uppers with C Products mags. They didn't
have any issues. Something to think about considering the price/availability
of 5.56 ammo these days.

There was one piston gun, LWRC 10.5". Shooter was using Wolf ammo. There
were two incidents where cases failed to extract. Inspection of the case showed
the extractor had ripped off a piece of the rim.

There was a frankengun that had two slam fires. It was retired on day one.
Hint - Do not bring frankenguns to classes.

NOTE: Several shooters were running Wolf ammo with no problems at all.

There were two gun writers in the class. Look for articles on the VTAC Carbine 1.5
class and the S&W M&P15VTAC rifle in Guns and Ammo and SWAT magazines in
the future.

The VTAC Carbine 1.5 class begins with a few drills reinforcing marksmanship
fundamentals then quickly ramps up, pushing you beyond your comfort zone
by having you apply the basics under stress. The challenge of shooting at
various distances while moving and from different positions behind cover
makes it a well rounded course for any experienced shooter who wants to get
to the next level.

You can get the book (http://www.vikingtactics.com/book.html) and you can can watch the drills (http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics) but there is no substitute
for the real thing. I highly recommend taking the class (http://www.vikingtactics.com/instruction.html) if you have the opportunity.

CarlosDJackal
04-22-09, 11:39
Sorry I couldn't be there for this one. An Arlington/DC trip got in the way for TD 1. Then if that wasn't bad enough a phone call from the command staff while I was away kept me away from TD 2 & 3. I'm just glad that two of us coordinated the class so there was a backup.

Kyle is a class act and I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves and took away a lot from this training.

I hope to see some of you in July in the Street Fighter class.

Disclaimer; sent from my crackberry cause the laptop died.

Until someone proves otherwise, I still think that you and Jack are one and the same!! :p

NCPatrolAR
04-22-09, 13:57
Until someone proves otherwise, I still think that you and Jack are one and the same!! :p

Jack and Jeff are two very different people. JAck pays for all of his range toys and Jeff has the state buy his ;)

Jay Cunningham
04-22-09, 15:12
Thanks for the AAR's - sounds like good training.

MTR7
04-22-09, 19:07
Well here is my two cents worth. The class was great, the pace was quicker than anything I have done before. I learned that I need major work on lateral movement as I am a total clutz. And that I have a real big probelm shooting support side while using my strong side eye to aim.This is not something I was aware of or something I could fix durring the class. This is will take a lot of time to correct I expect. The class reinforced that once I am flustered, my meger skills drop at a rapid rate. And that being dyslexic sucks, booo hooo. But I learned a ton of stuff, was driven well outside the comfort of prioir drills and classes. The drills were fun, mind bending and kick ass

Jack was a great host, Kyle was a great instructor and has matrix like skills with the Carbine. Dan was alot of help down on my end of the line and spent a fair amount of time squaring me away.

I will take this class again asap.

Regards
Matt Renz
NOVA 545 x 39 proponent

PS: I can almost walk normaly now, and my Knee doc is ordering a new Benz

vaspence
04-22-09, 22:39
Come on Matt, I easily had the award for the ugliest shooting on the move. I can't wait to video myself to see what you all were laughing about!

My 2 cents from the class.

Kyle is a solid and charismatic instructor. Part of being an instructor is knowing how to keep everyone engaged. Kyle's course has great flow and even if you were waiting (waiting is defined as around 45 seconds) to shoot you were learning. Big thanks to everyone in the first line for letting us on the second get a little edutainment at your expense. Kyle's AI "Talkative Dan" was also very helpful, a great help to Matt and I with the shooting down low from the brokeback and more.

The students were solid. A lot of hard shootin mofos in this class. Some that I knew from prior classes and some that I am glad to have met. The group got along well and was pretty tight by the end of 3 days. Great group of guys to train with and I am glad I got the opportunity. This is a great class for someone who's been to a basic carbine 2 or 3 day and wants to get out of their comfort zone. It will definitely give a selection of new tools for the tool box.

The drills? Pay up bitches, the man doesn't give this knowledge away for free. Suffice it to say I made shots I would not have thought possible from positions I know aren't supposed to be possible. Some of the drills they have posted on youtube others you'll need to attend to get. Definitely adding things to my shooting plan.

Some observations;

Aimpoints are great, Eotechs may be better for shooting from awkward positions. I ran a Noveske N4 with a T1 for 2.5 days. It worked well and I've shot a lot with that combo. I put the Eotech on my BCM middie upper/ LMT lower at lunch on day 3. A lot faster for me to get a sight picture from ground level to about 9 inches off the ground. How much faster? By my estimate about a year. Seriously, I don't know but I noticed it.

Running the stock all the way out is a good thing. I used to run my Vltors two clicks out. I switched to all the way out following a lunch conversation between my shooting buddy and Kyle. The dot in the Aimpoint seemed to go static after that. A lot less movement of the whole weapon. I did this with both the carbine and the middie with positive results.

Wolf Ammo runs great out of true 5.56 chambered guns. I ran 1300 rounds of Wolf during this course with no issues. I ran north of 1100 at a Pat Rogers class two weekends ago with no issues. All but 300 or so were out of the N4. The BCM has had no issues with the 500 or so it's digested. My shooting buddy also ran about 1000 rounds of Wolf through his BCM upper at this class. Silver Bear also ran well in another gun (I believe Grant built the upper but don't know the particulars).

Shooting on the move needs to be practiced a lot. I don't practice shooting on the move other than at classes and it shows. Gonna add that to the routine.

Well it appears I've given a dollar's worth. This class is very good and deserves all the good press it gets.

Big thanks to Jeff (missed you brother) and Jack (good to see you again) for doing all the work to get this done. Big thanks to Kyle and Dan for the training. Big thanks to Melynda for the great grub and for allowing us to run unfettered through her warehouse.

To all who attended the "f yo couch Kyle Lamb" class, it was a pleasure to meet ya and I look forward to seeing you all in the future.

Spence

Boss Hogg
04-23-09, 06:12
Kyle workin' the barricade.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc295/B055H0GG/DSCF8181_small.jpg

Boss Hogg
04-23-09, 12:05
Note the lack of absence of reported EOTech failures among the several that ran them. I used my 512 on TD1 and TD2, and my Aimpoint T-1 on TD3. Both have their advantages. Use what you like, and like what you use.

I will say that when I took the 512 off, it felt like the world had been lifted from Atlas' shoulders.

luxor
04-23-09, 15:26
Yeah, I ran about 1000 rounds of wolf thru the bcm upper. No issues what so ever but then i wasn't expecting any.

I have run wolf in a few classes before with no issues.

This class was great, and the people there were a great bunch of guys to shoot with. As Spence stated everyone got along and a good time was had by all.

Kyle will take you out of your comfort zone no doubt about it. There were a few times when i was cussing him under my breath, but that is what we came for.

Thats about it for my review, go take the class. I will again.

Jack, thanks for hosting this and Jeff, sorry i did not get to meet you.

Larry.

GLOCKMASTER
04-23-09, 17:26
JAck pays for all of his range toys and Jeff has the state buy his ;)

OUCH.... ;)

Don't be hating.....

30 cal slut
04-24-09, 08:50
did an inventory.

final estimated round count (will vary depending on how much the participants elected to shoot some drills):

TD1: 650 rounds carbine.

TD2: 400 - 450 rounds carbine, ten rounds pistol.

TD3: 210 rounds carbine.

Total: 1,260+ carbine, ten rounds pistol.

CarlosDJackal
04-24-09, 11:22
Those are pretty close to the same numbers I came up with for a round count.

I'm thinking that SGM Lamb should offer some sort of Alumni Refresher Carbine 1.5v2 class at about the same time and in the same range next year.

Are you guys up for it? :)

Gutshot John
04-24-09, 12:44
Does anyone remember what the MB/FH combo that Kyle said was the "only" one that even gets close to performing both functions?

CarlosDJackal
04-24-09, 13:08
Does anyone remember what the MB/FH combo that Kyle said was the "only" one that even gets close to performing both functions?

I think it was something like "B Myers" or "Bee Meyers" or some permutation of those.

Gutshot John
04-24-09, 13:49
I think it was something like "B Myers" or "Bee Meyers" or some permutation of those.

I'm pretty sure you're right, but all I could find was a FH (249), no FH/MB combo.

Derek_Connor
04-24-09, 13:51
Only 10 rounds of pistol fired?

30 cal slut
04-24-09, 13:54

something like that.

transition to secondary, which everybody seemed to have down pat.

i'm not complaining, cuz now i have 240 extra pistol rounds that i can take to the range.

Gutshot John
04-24-09, 13:58

I fired about 2.5 17 round mags, but I was liberal with my transitions for the sake of practice. I fired a lot more than others.

carolina flatfoot
05-27-09, 17:15
Any of you all plan on going to the Night Fighters in Nov, if it happens?

GLOCKMASTER
05-27-09, 18:37

We already have enough registered and paid for the Night Fighter to happen. Also, I'm sure that after the Street Fighter some of those students will want to register for the Night Fighter class.

So if some of you are on the fence about the Night Fighter class you might want to go ahead an pull the trigger on it before it fills. The Street Fighter has been full for a while.

Gutshot John
05-27-09, 18:49

I'll be there.