PDA

View Full Version : CNN Study on School Shootings

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-26-19, 11:13
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/07/us/ten-years-of-school-shootings-trnd/

Not the complete train wreck that I thought it would be, considering the gun's emphasis in the front page graphic. Not a focus on gun laws or guns in particular. Actually go over race and what kind of school it was (city, suburban, rural). They look at the time of day too.

Mostly I was surprised at the number of shootings in middle and lower school, but I think that is an artifact of how they classify school shootings. Mostly people think of mass shootings like MSD, not gang bangers with a grudge after school. They seem to break down into crazy white kids shooting up their schools, or after school violence in minority schools.

Wish they would go back to 1990 to get a real trend.

Pappabear
07-26-19, 11:30
FMCDH, thanks for sharing. Very interesting data. I’m surprised how many more were injured vs killed. And the crazy white kids are killing more at school vs black kids. And most were not MASS shootings and only shot less than 4.

Which of course is still too many.

PB

Slater
07-26-19, 12:40
My school days were the 1960's and 70's. School shootings were an almost unknown phenomenon back then, at least nothing like today.

WillBrink
07-26-19, 13:03
Triple tapping?!

WillBrink
07-26-19, 13:03
In Brooklyn NY in early 80s, we had 2 NYC cops and occasional metal detectors, and unlike today, kids knew you didn't want either of those LEOs getting involved as they'd bust your a$$. Saw them break up a school yard fight and the lesson was learned quick, that's not a good idea because win or lose that fight, the officers don't play. So, as the major violence took place outside of school, some times very close, but rarely in the school. It was not a "gun free zone" it was a "They don't tolerate no chit here and I best find other places to be an A hole" zone. School itself was relatively safe place. Outside, not so much...

Good times!

WillBrink
07-26-19, 13:15
Forum is double tapping

flenna
07-26-19, 13:24
In Brooklyn NY in early 80s, we had 2 NYC cops and occasional metal detectors, and unlike today, kids knew you didn't want either of those LEOs getting involved as they'd bust your a$$. Saw them break up a school yard fight and the lesson was learned quick, that's not a good idea because win or lose that fight, the officers don't play. So, as the major violence took place outside of school, some times very close, but rarely in the school. It was not a "gun free zone" it was a "They don't tolerate no chit here and I best find other places to be an A hole" zone. School itself was relatively safe place. Outside, not so much...

Good times!

Today, though, the public schools are just a babysitting service for snowflakes and whose primary purpose is to make sure no one gets offended, self esteem is promoted and no one dies from a PB&J sandwich.

Uni-Vibe
07-26-19, 15:08
Today, though, the public schools are just a babysitting service for snowflakes and whose primary purpose is to make sure no one gets offended, self esteem is promoted and no one dies from a PB&J sandwich.

Funny thing, though . . . the vast majority of these mass school shootings occur in white schools in suburban and rural parts of Red states . . . Christian conservative country.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-26-19, 15:12
If you look at shootings on that list where there was more than one fatality, you come up with about 10 events and 69 deaths- and this is what drives our debate on firearms legislation..... That is literally crazy. Take out Sandy Hook and you are talking about 43 deaths. All tragedies, but not exactly the data set you want to look at to curb murders.

flenna
07-26-19, 17:01
Funny thing, though . . . the vast majority of these mass school shootings occur in white schools in suburban and rural parts of Red states . . . Christian conservative country.

Publicly funded schools do not differ much between rural and metropolitan areas. If they are getting government funding then they are going to follow government mandated programs, most of which do not emphasize the three R's but are instead socially acceptable PC programs.

07-26-19, 17:54

The children of christian conservatives can be easily offended special snowflakes, too. I’ve been calling people special snowflakes for like 20 years, so I was pretty bummed when the term came to be synonymous with liberal.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-27-19, 12:08
They always try to make it seem like there are all these school shootings, but they are fluffing the numbers with gang shootings at schools, which are a different problem. Look at the school shootings that are what most people consider to be 'school shootings'. They are done by insane people with low respect for life. The MSD shooter- how many interactions with LEOs? Sandy Hook- that guy looks like a bat crap crazy guy. The recent shooting at the STEM school here in Denver- a tranny and side kick devil worshipers with goofy hair color and other silliness.

This isn't that hard of a problem to decipher, they want to make it seem more complex than it is so that they can go after guns. This report at least doesn't start and end with gun legislation aimed at sane, legal and responsible gun owners.