PDA

View Full Version : New DD upper

odugrad
07-29-19, 06:08
Has anyone seen this new upper fron DD? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

https://danieldefense.com/ddm4-custom-upper-receiver-group.html

mack7.62
07-29-19, 06:32
I'm not seeing $1,100 worth of parts and assembly there.

GH41
07-29-19, 06:35
Has anyone seen this new upper fron DD? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

https://danieldefense.com/ddm4-custom-upper-receiver-group.html

I am a fan of DD but don't know where they were going with this upper. The pinned and welded Pig weighs a quarter pound and adds about 3 inches length to the 14 1/2" barrel making it almost as long as a 16" barrel with a birdcage FH. So much for compact and lightweight with all the but hurt of a welded MD. I'm sure it runs fine but don't understand the logic behind the setup.

07-29-19, 06:35
I imagine its good to go, but I’m curious why they’re using carbine gas on a 14.5” plus KX5, which is designed to increase gas drive.

mack7.62
07-29-19, 06:38
Also using a heavy barrel, why?

Sry0fcr
07-29-19, 08:03
I honestly can't think of a good reason for this configuration, seems like it would be unnecessarily heavy and poorly balanced.

signal4l
07-29-19, 08:18
I honestly can't think of a good reason for this configuration, seems like it would be unnecessarily heavy and poorly balanced.

My thoughts exactly

RHINOWSO
07-29-19, 08:39
I love a DD Barrel, but I don't understand the $$$ for their complete uppers.

Striker6
07-29-19, 08:51
Do people really finance an AR upper?

RHINOWSO
07-29-19, 09:10

People finance Dogs from the pet store. :rolleyes:

mack7.62
07-29-19, 09:21
People finance Dogs from the pet store. :rolleyes:

Ha, I love the stories where people think they are buying a dog and are really only leasing one, better read and understand the fine print.

Don't Tread On Me
07-29-19, 09:25
Ha, I love the stories where people think they are buying a dog and are really only leasing one, better read and understand the fine print.

What? Is this really a thing?

Stickman
07-29-19, 10:25
I am a fan of DD but don't know where they were going with this upper. The pinned and welded Pig weighs a quarter pound and adds about 3 inches length to the 14 1/2" barrel making it almost as long as a 16" barrel with a birdcage FH. So much for compact and lightweight with all the but hurt of a welded MD. I'm sure it runs fine but don't understand the logic behind the setup.

When you figure the barrel is longer than it needs to be, plus it is a heavy barrel, they are going for a specific group. DD has enough of a customer base where this should do well for them.

mack7.62
07-29-19, 10:50

Yes.

https://www.aspca.org/news/beware-puppy-leasing

Sry0fcr
07-29-19, 11:24
When you figure the barrel is longer than it needs to be, plus it is a heavy barrel, they are going for a specific group. DD has enough of a customer base where this should do well for them.

Pray tell who is this specific customer group? Not being facetious BTW, this is truly flying over my head.

MWAG19919
07-29-19, 20:48
Not seeing the point of a HBAR, carbine gas in 2019 with a MD that negates the benefits of 14.5" barrel. For that matter why not go 13.7 or 13.9?

Pappabear
07-29-19, 21:02
That PIG is the stupidest thing Noveske ever did. Im a Noveske buyer but WTF.

PB

vicious_cb
07-29-19, 21:17
That PIG is the stupidest thing Noveske ever did. Im a Noveske buyer but WTF.

PB

For its intended use on an SBR in a close quarters team environment, the only thing that beats it is a suppressor.

Pappabear
07-29-19, 21:28
For its intended use on an SBR in a close quarters team environment, the only thing that beats it is a suppressor.

I guess that might be true but Id like to know who has used it? Not being an ass but who has used it? Anyone needing should have a can. IMHO.

Again for its use I see its role I see your point, if its played out in practice.

PB

trauma
07-29-19, 21:30
Unfortunately DD thinks it’s KAC sometimes and asks crazy prices, this is one of those times.

Best deal on DD uppers are MK18 uppers at Brownells when on sale with AJ discount and 10% coupons.

Everytime DD is brought up I think of the name Marty and this meme pops in my head.
https://pics.me.me/marty-youve-got-to-go-back-to-1946-it-find-5363277.png

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-29-19, 23:45

My LGS has layaway on firearms. I jokingly asked one day if anyone had ever asked to put a stripped Anderson lower on layaway. The guy told me that people put them on layaway all the time. If you can't afford to pay cash for a $40 lower, you should rearrange some priorities.

Magsz
07-29-19, 23:54
Who comes up with this stuff?

That configuration makes ZERO sense. ZERO.

Granted, maybe people really are clamoring to obtain stupid, cool looking crap. Commercial markets are weird....

alrick18
08-03-19, 10:21
I had the same questions also, I just don't get their rational on this one and then the price. I guess someone will buy one, its just not going to be me.

justin_247
08-04-19, 09:15
I kind of miss the old DD... they don't even offer a standard configuration rifle anymore.

https://gunnuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ddxv-promotion-pic.jpg

everready73
08-05-19, 09:09
I kind of miss the old DD... they don't even offer a standard configuration rifle anymore.

Yea i bet they would sell if they offered them to compete with the 6920 pricing wise

RHINOWSO
08-05-19, 10:48

Yes, I take the kids to Petland to see the dogs / cats / etc. You can get dogs out to play with. Some of the prices you hear are INSANE. Now we by purebred dogs through breeders and the Petland prices are 2-4x as much and there is financing. Awesome to see the ghetto couple getting a $5K bulldog on credit. Way to think it through.

Not that financial a $1k AR15 upper is much different, other than it will likely retain value better. But if you can't put together $1K to purchase and it's not a killer deal, you have no business buying it IMO>

Send it...
08-05-19, 13:56
If you have to finance an upper, your gonna play hell trying to outfit and feed it.

Outlander Systems
08-05-19, 15:09
Their barrels have been shooters for me.

If they offered this upper, I'd buy the shit out of them.

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-05-19, 16:19
Their barrels have been shooters for me.

If they offered this upper, I'd buy the shit out of them.

If they made a non govt profile 11.5", I'd buy 10.

Skyyr
08-05-19, 16:27
That, at best during non-slump sales times, is a ~$850-950 upper - someone priced it $1,100. Ick!

Also, not sure of the logic behind making a 14.5" barrel in a heavy profile (mostly used for precision roles) and then chrome-lining it. They're each likely counter-productive to the advantages of the other. So, it's heavier than a standard Govt/Mid/LW barrel, but with no real advantage.

Lastly, a 14.5" barrel is going to have a carbine gas system, which is one of the most over-gassed systems. Why they would use that and then put a KX5 on it is beyond me. The KX5 will increase back pressure, which means the gun will likely be even more over-gassed or the gas port had to be modified to accommodate the KX5. In any case, it's not a good thing.

Seems like it's seem up more for "cool factor" than anything else. I'd pass if it were me.

Now, if they were to make that in a mid or (even better) a lightweight barrel profile, put on a mid-length gas system, and then pin the KX5 to account for lessened pressure, that might be a nice setup. In any case, I miss the old DD. Not really impressed with these new offerings from them.

saywhen11
08-05-19, 21:06

In America, we finance all the things.

MountainRaven
08-05-19, 21:16
I could kinda understand it, if they put a KX3 on it, instead of a KX5. But even then...

Yes, I take the kids to Petland to see the dogs / cats / etc. You can get dogs out to play with. Some of the prices you hear are INSANE. Now we by purebred dogs through breeders and the Petland prices are 2-4x as much and there is financing. Awesome to see the ghetto couple getting a $5K bulldog on credit. Way to think it through.

What the f_ck. What the actual f_ck.

Seriously? That's f_cked up.

RVTMaverick
08-06-19, 09:43
Some of you were saying it's going to be Over Gassed but I am sure you never watched the video of it being shot, because IF you had, you would have seen it is infact gassed pretty sweet!
Looks like an awesome shooter.