PDA

View Full Version : Which lower if cost not an option?

Charlie Golf
11-12-08, 21:11
First build was all RRA. Planning on starting two more. If money not an option any recommendations on which lowers I should get? Right now I've got lines on:

Stag $$$ (respectively)
CMMG $$
Double Star $

TIA

rightwingmaniac
11-13-08, 01:48
First build was all RRA. Planning on starting two more. If money not an option any recommendations on which lowers I should get? Right now I've got lines on:

Stag $$$ (respectively)
CMMG $$
Double Star $

TIA

i am also a fan of cmmg and stag myself. dont like double star though. dont forget about lmt.

MIKE G
11-13-08, 02:17

mmike87
11-13-08, 08:06
I'm really fond of my Sun Devil billet lower for $149. I didn't assemble the lower so I don't know how well it went together, but everything works well, operates smooth, and despite the fact that it doesn't matter in reality, I like the little screw to take out the wiggle (although I didn't need to use it.) I just like the look of billet lowers, too - and the Sun Devil isn't high priced like some of them.

Olav
11-13-08, 08:47
I'm really fond of my Sun Devil billet lower for $149. I didn't assemble the lower so I don't know how well it went together, but everything works well, operates smooth, and despite the fact that it doesn't matter in reality, I like the little screw to take out the wiggle (although I didn't need to use it.) I just like the look of billet lowers, too - and the Sun Devil isn't high priced like some of them.

+1

___

Charlie Golf
11-13-08, 11:55
Okay, here's the deal...I can buy a Stag, DPMS, or RRA stripped lower right now. No wait, no backorder.

Or I can make a backorder puchase online for Stag, DStar or CMMG. Save money by purchasing online but that gap closes with XFR fees and then there is the whole "opportunity cost" of waiting potentially months for a backorder.

The Stag in the store is $50 mo' than the backordered one. Oh what's a guy to do!?!?!?!? :D

rob_s
11-13-08, 12:02
I'm very intrigued by the Sully lowers. I need to get in touch with them and see about getting myself one after the 1st of the year.

XDkid
11-13-08, 12:44
I used a tactical innovations billet lower on my last build and was not very happy with it. First, my Magpul MIAD grips didnt fit properly against the backstrap. I eneded up using the MOE grips and they fit OK. Next problem I had was the little hold under where you screw in the reciever extension was too small. This caused the reciever end plate to not fit properly so I had to grind it down. None of these issues was terrible, but for the $230 I paid for the receiver, i expected more. I would not buy this receiver again. On the other hand, the DPMS I used for my first build was perfect... other than the "un-cool" Panther roll mark lol!

It definitely looks good though.

nrode
11-16-08, 13:29
If money was no option I would have all LMT factory built lowers.

Arrkhal
11-16-08, 16:20
If money isn't an option, you're going to have to settle for whatever you can beg, borrow, or steal.

If money is no object, you should just get a complete Colt.

Other than that, there really isn't a whole lot of difference between lowers. Get one that the finish will match whatever upper you want.

Failure2Stop
11-16-08, 17:16
If cost is not an obstacle I choose LMT.
Even if cost is an issue (as it is with most), I choose LMT.
Why?
LMT LPKs are second only to Colt.
LMTs are readily available, in comparison to Colt.
LMTs use "Mil-Spec" FCG pins.
LMTs make me feel all warm and fuzzy, which is probably more of a reason than all others, for me.

Buck
11-16-08, 17:25
If cost was not an option... Then I think Holland and Holland would make one hell of a nice AR...

But thats just me...

B

SeriousStudent
11-16-08, 23:04
If cost was not an option... Then I think Holland and Holland would make one hell of a nice AR...

But thats just me...

B

And then some snob would show up with a Purdy AR..... just to be a jerk.

I apologize, Buck. I just could not resist. :D

uscbigdawg
11-17-08, 09:03
If cost is no option, then the JP-CTR (which you can't just buy the lower receiver). The built in magwell is awesome and of course...it's a JP.

Rich

ss568
11-17-08, 10:17
Does anyone know where you could get a LaRue lower?

STJ
11-17-08, 17:04
Does anyone know where you could get a LaRue lower?

Simple, just get one of their Uppers

Cagemonkey
11-17-08, 19:29
Simple, I'd get a Magpul lower. I hope these come out in time and that theirs enough to go round.

Ziptie
11-17-08, 20:40
How about a titanium lower? (https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286)

Another billet option is Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply. Great quality, great people.

Cagemonkey
11-17-08, 20:47
How about a titanium lower? (https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286)

Another billet option is Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply. Great quality, great people. Just got a return e-mail from SMOS today. All their SM-15 lowers go to Larue Tactical. SMOS won't sell you a SM-15 lower. Have to buy a Larue upper to get the lower.

Ziptie
11-17-08, 20:49
Good to know, I knew that they were the ones making the new Larue goodness, but I didn't realize that it was exclusively for them. Lucky I got one when I did, then, I guess.

GNXII
11-17-08, 20:52
No chicken little here but, buy what you can when you can because your order might just cancelled by a "higher authority". I'm still waiting for a Springfield Armory HK91 clone. Company cataloged it along with an Imbel FAL- type but nothing shipped. You live and learn. Purchase a good quality Milspec lower from a known maker along with a parts kit. Better yet, spend the extra bread and get an assembled lower if you can. Be calm, shop around, read up on AR lowers. My personel favs in no particular order: Colt, LMT, LWRC, CMMG, Bushmaster, Armalite/Eagle, Sully and Stag. Good luck! :p

ss568
11-17-08, 21:47
Simple, just get one of their Uppers

Oooo my god really, I guess you have the ablilty to go on their website to. :p

SLR15
11-23-08, 18:19
Lowers are selling faster than we can make them.

AnchorArmament
11-23-08, 20:09
We sold the last batch of SMOS lowers before they signed the deal with LaRue. I was bummed when they did that, but happy for them. They are good guys and earned the break with LaRue.

I hope we get to sell them again, but I'm not holding my breath.