PDA

View Full Version : Secret Service goes Glock 19 mos

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-01-19, 18:27
http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/01/us-secret-service-adopts-glock-19-mos-gen-5-in-9mm/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Seems like a sound choice. I probably would have pushed for an American manufacturer like S&W but that the Glock is a safe choice can’t be denied.

WickedWillis
08-01-19, 18:35
http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/01/us-secret-service-adopts-glock-19-mos-gen-5-in-9mm/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Seems like a sound choice. I probably would have pushed for an American manufacturer like S&W but that the Glock is a safe choice can’t be denied.

They will probably have to be manufactured in Smyrna.

Boy Scout
08-01-19, 19:47
Not that it comes as a surprise to the folks on here who are much more involved in the industry than I am, but pistol red dots are very quickly becoming the norm for LE, much faster than I thought Departments would gravitate to them. One indicator is that my little college PD (26 officers) is in the testing process and is setting up to replace all of our Gen 4 G19/G17 pistols with with G19 MOS and G17M MOS models with red dots for any officer that wants one.

How I know Hell has really frozen over is that the Sheriff's Department I retired from last year is in the testing process, and this is the department that held on to Class A's and brown leather duty gear in the jail for last 25 years.

BuzzinSATX
08-01-19, 21:16
Deleted...

MountainRaven
08-01-19, 21:26

When was the last time the SS carried American made handguns? The 1950s? (I think that's about when the SS went to BHPs, although I suppose there may have been revolvers in use after that, but I don't know.)

Sam
08-01-19, 21:29
Seems like a sound choice. .....

So when are you getting one so you can be like the cool guys.

Btw, i went behind the enemy line yesterday to swap out two old broken gen 1 mags. I was afraid lightning was going to strike.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-01-19, 22:22
I've had one for a while. I usually keep some Glock around to keep in practice. Still not a big fan.

Bodhi
08-02-19, 06:29
I've had one for a while. I usually keep some Glock around to keep in practice. Still not a big fan.

Same.

Standing by for the M&P 2.0 OR to be actually released. Any week now.

WickedWillis
08-02-19, 10:19
Same.

Standing by for the M&P 2.0 OR to be actually released. Any week now.

Not to stray too off-topic, but I am actually surprised we have not seen a 2.0 CORE yet

Bodhi
08-02-19, 20:11
Not to stray too off-topic, but I am actually surprised we have not seen a 2.0 CORE yet

It's real.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/SandW-MandP-M2-0-CORE-Updates-/16-186947/

Apparently someone in CA was able to buy one. I'm assuming that S&W is fulfilling orders from agencies that want to go through a dot program but already have M&Ps.

ndmiller
08-04-19, 09:04

Glock 47 in the picture, never head of that one, read up and of course want one now.

Dionysus
08-04-19, 14:53
I received mine from Vance's in Columbus Ohio about two weeks ago...they are starting to trickle out.

jpmuscle
08-04-19, 14:53
Can we change the thread title?

Wouldn’t want folks to start mistaking this for stormfront or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-04-19, 14:57
Hahah, good point.

Screwball
08-04-19, 14:59
Glock 47 in the picture, never head of that one, read up and of course want one now.

It’s a 17... just a shorter rail so you’d be able to make a 45 out of it.

Supposedly, they aren’t set to be marketed to civilians. Can’t wait to get one, as I’ll be switching from a .40 H&K P2000.

jpmuscle
08-04-19, 15:01
Well I was going to say USSS but that works

_Stormin_
08-04-19, 15:32
Not at all shocked with the choice. I can't get myself to love RDS's on pistols, but many friends have gotten the bug. The G19 however... My collection only continues to grow. :D

tn1911
08-04-19, 17:46
When was the last time the SS carried American made handguns? The 1950s? (I think that's about when the SS went to BHPs, although I suppose there may have been revolvers in use after that, but I don't know.)

I don’t think the SS ever carried the high powers...

History of Handguns Carried by the United States Secret Service

http://www.shootingrangeindustries.com/united-states-secret-service-handguns-submachine-guns-assault-rifles-weapons-equipment-list/

MountainRaven
08-04-19, 19:13
I don’t think the SS ever carried the high powers...

History of Handguns Carried by the United States Secret Service

http://www.shootingrangeindustries.com/united-states-secret-service-handguns-submachine-guns-assault-rifles-weapons-equipment-list/

I thought I read (many, many years ago) that a couple of the agents who were protecting Truman when the PR separatists attacked him were carrying BHPs.

ETA: The list you posted has a rather glaring omission: It doesn't mention the 357 SiG P229 that the G19 is replacing.

ETA2: The list appears to be copy-pasta'd from Wikipedia. Or vice versa. Either way, the list on Wikipedia doesn't have any citations list for the historical/previous service firearms for the USSS.

Pappabear
08-04-19, 19:24
I can see the money savings in training and service in one Agency one gun, but what agencies allow for the choice of G19 or ie Sig 229? Based on different size shapes and preferences, I would think options would be more the norm. What agencies have options.

On RDS, wasn't it Border Patrol ( Elite tactical Team )correction Marshall’s , that went with double stack STI w/ RDS ? RDS's are coming on strong.

PB

pag23
08-04-19, 20:03
Seems like some Fed LE dept are standardizing on one caliber...then maybe one manufacturer....

Screwball
08-04-19, 21:15
On RDS, wasn't it Border Patrol ( Elite tactical Team ) that went with double stack STI w/ RDS ? RDS's are coming on strong.

USMS SOG...

CBP was one of the first major requests for optics ready pistols in L/E. They asked the field what they wanted, and actually listened. Can’t wait to get a 47.

call_me_ski
08-04-19, 21:36
It was the marshalls that just bought some STI pistols id Deltapoint Pros.

jpmuscle
08-04-19, 22:02
I can see the money savings in training and service in one Agency one gun, but what agencies allow for the choice of G19 or ie Sig 229? Based on different size shapes and preferences, I would think options would be more the norm. What agencies have options.

On RDS, wasn't it Border Patrol ( Elite tactical Team ) that went with double stack STI w/ RDS ? RDS's are coming on strong.

PB

For USSS it won’t be an option. G19s are replacing the Sigs.

Also aside from SOD entities I doubt you’ll see widespread RDS additions, atleast anytime soon if ever.

For years leadership had a shit fit about guys buying their own plus round 229 mags, so change is excruciatingly painful for them. Hell weapon lights alone probably gave the brass an aneurysm.

Firefly
08-05-19, 14:32
Sigs are boomer guns anyways

tn1911
08-05-19, 15:10
Inside the Secret Service's secret museum

https://www.yahoo.com/news/inside-the-secret-service-s-secret-museum-120155593.html

Cool 4 minute video at link!

HCM
08-06-19, 00:00
I thought I read (many, many years ago) that a couple of the agents who were protecting Truman when the PR separatists attacked him were carrying BHPs.

ETA: The list you posted has a rather glaring omission: It doesn't mention the 357 SiG P229 that the G19 is replacing.

ETA2: The list appears to be copy-pasta'd from Wikipedia. Or vice versa. Either way, the list on Wikipedia doesn't have any citations list for the historical/previous service firearms for the USSS.

USSS issued .357 revolvers till the late 1980s when they transitioned to SIG P228s in 9mm. The 228s were replaced with P229s in 357 In the late 1990s.

“Back in the day” Weapons choices were more flexible so it is possible a USSS Agent or two carried a BHP as a personal back up gun but they were never an issued item,

sundance435
08-06-19, 16:45
20 years with the 229 is a surprisingly long period of time. They’re the last major “visible” agency I’m aware of still issuing .357 Sig guns. It’s always been a “meh” caliber for me and I’ve only shot it a few times, but I’d take it over .40, if I had to.

jpmuscle
08-06-19, 17:06
20 years with the 229 is a surprisingly long period of time. They’re the last major “visible” agency I’m aware of still issuing .357 Sig guns. It’s always been a “meh” caliber for me and I’ve only shot it a few times, but I’d take it over .40, if I had to.

That’s because the leadership refused to evolve past the Cretaceous period.

Hell this is the same agency who refused to purchase Sigs with rails out of fears folks would put WMLs on them and use them as general purpose flashlights.

sundance435
08-06-19, 18:11
Hell this is the same agency who refused to purchase Sigs with rails out of fears folks would put WMLs on them and use them as general purpose flashlights.

I wouldn’t put it past guys I worked with at the local level, but I get what you’re saying.

HardToHandle
08-06-19, 21:04

Aren’t the FAMS still using .357 SIG?

Pappabear
08-06-19, 22:49
It was the marshalls that just bought some STI pistols id Deltapoint Pros.

I was really surprised they chose the STI guns. I guess I’ve seen too many at competitions with 1 lb triggers that don’t run because they tweak them too much. I hope they prove outstanding, I might give one a try down the road if they prove duty ready. I read about them everything I could find.

PB

jpmuscle
08-06-19, 23:03
What model STIs did they go with?

HCM
08-07-19, 02:53
What model STIs did they go with?

The Staccato-P 9mm with the HOST II mounting system and the Delta Point Pro. It’s only their SOG folks.

They have been allowing RDS on regular Deputies Glocks for ate least the past year or two.

HCM
08-07-19, 02:54
Aren’t the FAMS still using .357 SIG?

Yes but expect that to change.

WillBrink
08-07-19, 07:51

I'm more surprised they had .357 Sig which seemed like a solution is search of a problem. I understand it was better for intermediate barriers. Perhaps that was an aspect of adopting the .357?

WillBrink
08-07-19, 07:53

Never understood the attraction myself.

jpmuscle
08-07-19, 07:58
Never understood the attraction myself.

Well, NSW has them so you should be all about that.

[emoji854]

tacticaldesire
08-07-19, 09:44
That’s because the leadership refused to evolve past the Cretaceous period.

I personally know of 3 incidents locally where that has happened. So while the worry is kind of dumb, there is some justification. A good low light training program negates the concerns however.

WillBrink
08-07-19, 11:00
Well, NSW has them so you should be all about that.

Hah, not influenced by what others use other then to take a look at something if it's passed the smell test by the BTDT types. I went check out a 19, it for me, more or less same as other glocks: crap ergos, annoying little " Safe Action" trigger, meh sites, etc. I don't get the appeal and doubt I ever will, but i understand why they get chosen for large PD and units and such.

STAMarine
08-08-19, 06:44

Virginia State Police still use the .357 Sig. They just transitioned from the 229 to the 320. I do think the caliber is in it's way out though. I like the caliber but only have one platform in it. There isn't a concrete reason for me liking it either, just one of those things.

WillBrink
08-08-19, 07:56
Virginia State Police still use the .357 Sig. They just transitioned from the 229 to the 320. I do think the caliber is in it's way out though. I like the caliber but only have one platform in it. There isn't a concrete reason for me liking it either, just one of those things.

Troops stick with .357 sig because it performs well on intermediate barriers is my understanding.

tn1911
08-10-19, 19:17
Troops stick with .357 sig because it performs well on intermediate barriers is my understanding.

Troopers in Tennessee carry a Glock in .357Sig for that reason as well

Pilgrim
08-11-19, 13:02
I can’t seem to find info on what type of iron sights they will be using.

dwhitehorne
08-11-19, 14:22
Total guess but if the USSS is buying off the CBP contract they would be getting the exact same features. David

Pilgrim
08-11-19, 14:48
Thanks, I’ll check out the specs.

Uni-Vibe
08-11-19, 17:08
If law enforcement is going to buy Glock, why don't they buy American, like Smith M&P?

MountainRaven
08-11-19, 17:20
If law enforcement is going to buy Glock, why don't they buy American, like Smith M&P?

Because obviously American manufacturers are unable or unwilling to manufacture the pistols that American law enforcement wants at the prices American law enforcement is willing to pay.

Pilgrim
08-11-19, 18:38
Glock press release says the sights will be Ameriglo Bold.

Uni-Vibe
08-11-19, 18:59
Because obviously American manufacturers are unable or unwilling to manufacture the pistols that American law enforcement wants at the prices American law enforcement is willing to pay.

Not so obvious, since many TX lawmen carry M&P in 9 or 40.

MountainRaven
08-11-19, 19:15

Obviously, too, different law enforcement agencies want different things at different prices.

HardToHandle
08-11-19, 19:45

There are lots of departments that have passed on the M&Ps in head to head competition. M&Ps consistently are included in competitions, but are not getting much adoption. There are also a significant number that have sh!tcanned the M&Ps after adoption.

Departments with extensive testing processes simply are not selecting the M&P. A few local departments making that adoption isn’t too impressive nor do they have federal acquisition rules that make for performance-based testing. I cannot recall any federal agencies with M&Ps.

The most telling metric is the wide glut of M&Ps in the trade in market. They are giving away like-new $300 deals on pistols that retail at $600+. For a platform on the market a little over ten years, that is very telling.

Moreover, I am more concerned about law enforcement having quality guns than who manufactures them.

drtywk
08-11-19, 20:24

I am pretty sure that these will be manufactured in Smyrna, GA. I would also say that CBP and the FBI conducted very thorough evaluations and selected what they thought would be the best handgun for their agents and that agency wide adoption factors in a hell of a lot more than just word of mouth or what "some" lawmen are using.

cathellsk
08-11-19, 21:54
I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and we have the M&P9, it’s our current contract. And with that I’ll add it could have been the 17M or 19M off the FBI contract like I wish we’d done. They run great and are a helluva lot better than what we had, so for that reason I like them.

Texaspoff
08-12-19, 06:55

San Antonio and Austin PD issues them, but I haven't seen many officers here in the Houston area carrying them. Around here most agencies have IOP weapons and the vast majority of them are still Glock, with a lot of 320's showing up. Texas DPS actually switched to the M&P and began issuing them to some academy graduates. The pistols promptly shit the bed and DPS pulled them, re issued the 226's, and a short time later went with the 320.

If an agency really wanted to make a big deal out of that, all they would have to do is include it as part of the RFP that the guns be USA made. Glock manufactures pistols here in the USA and are marked as such. Glock would just use those for that particular contract.

Example, my USA marked Gen5 19.
https://i.imgur.com/lSswjmz.jpg

TXPO

RWH24
08-12-19, 09:40
Anyone else see LAV's photo on Instagram? A 17M, rare because it is owned publicly, Himself.

sundance435
08-12-19, 21:39
I am pretty sure that these will be manufactured in Smyrna, GA. I would also say that CBP and the FBI conducted very thorough evaluations and selected what they thought would be the best handgun for their agents and that agency wide adoption factors in a hell of a lot more than just word of mouth or what "some" lawmen are using.

I don’t know if there is any “buy American” provision for these contracts, but I’ve thought that’s probably why most of the Glocks I see at retail are still “Made in Austria” - their domestic capacity, which is huge, is churning them out for LE contracts. Of the 10+ Glocks I’ve owned, only 1 of them was US made - a newer 26.5.

I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and we have the M&P9, it’s our current contract. And with that I’ll add it could have been the 17M or 19M off the FBI contract like I wish we’d done. They run great and are a helluva lot better than what we had, so for that reason I like them.

Didn’t you guys issue Ruger metal (P89?) DA/SAs until the switch to M&Ps? Those things are tanks but that would get damn heavy if your assignment included carrying one all day.

cathellsk
08-13-19, 16:25
Didn’t you guys issue Ruger metal (P89?) DA/SAs until the switch to M&Ps? Those things are tanks but that would get damn heavy if your assignment included carrying one all day.

Worse…DAO, but yes they were tanks and ran great, just outdated. After the Rugers came the Beretta 92D INOX Vertecs. My institution never upgraded with that contract which was in ‘02 timeframe maybe. Beretta never even finished that contract because they f’ed it up so bad the BOP cancelled the contract on them. Then it was back to Rugers again then finally the M&Ps about 3 or so years ago. Just before the M&P contract the BOP was supposedly offered a piggyback on the FBI’s new GLOCK M models contract but they declined, so we got the Smiths. Standard M&P with no mag safety and standard non tritium sights.