PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey and wrenching part 2: 11.5 hard use suppressed training

Furbyballer
08-03-19, 20:13
This portion of whiskey and wrenching is actually brought to you this time by glenfarclas 17 year scotch.

New training rig to shake out and review different items. I’ll be shooting this upper for the remaining of the training calendar until I kill the barrel. I’ll be keeping a meticulous round count and will be updating the group in round counts of 2,000.

Control groups will be shot with 223 fiocchi 77 grain. Barrel will be considered shot out if it can’t hold under 3 moa. Barrel will be cleaned every 1000 rounds and when the barrel goes past 2 moa my gun Smith will start tracking throat and gas port erosion.

Upper:
Stripped hodge upper
Solgw upper parts kit
Solgw 11.5 barrel (review)
Solgw bcg
Radian short charging handle
Slr gas block
Geissele mk4 federal rail
Kac mams
Kac qdc 556 can
Holosun 503 (review)
Aimpoint 3x-c mag
Scalarworks mount (review)
Modlite tbd (review)
Mawl

Lower:
Lmt stripped Mars lower
Solgw lower parts kit
Larue mbt trigger (review)
sba3

opngrnd
08-03-19, 22:42
Please include examples of your firing schedule. Example: you ran the VTAC 1-5 ten times within 30 minutes and for most of your range visit the barrel stays too hot to comfortably touch. I'm curious as to how long your barrel will last, and at what firing schedule, esp with the suppressor.

Furbyballer
08-04-19, 17:37
Please include examples of your firing schedule. Example: you ran the VTAC 1-5 ten times within 30 minutes and for most of your range visit the barrel stays too hot to comfortably touch. I'm curious as to how long your barrel will last, and at what firing schedule, esp with the suppressor.

Shouldn’t be hard to work into my notes.

everready73
08-05-19, 09:22
Looking forward to the reviews. Are you going to keep updating this thread, or start a separate one?

Furbyballer
08-06-19, 06:49
Looking forward to the reviews. Are you going to keep updating this thread, or start a separate one?

I will do my best to update this thread. I hope to get the first 500 rounds knocked out tonight and my initial zero group with fiocchi 223 77grain.

SeriousStudent
08-07-19, 20:26
This thread is worthless without pictures of the whiskey.

Furbyballer
08-07-19, 20:44
This thread is worthless without pictures of the whiskey.

I’ll work on this tomorrow with part 3 haha. Probably brought to you by eagle rare.

Pappabear
08-07-19, 20:49
Very cool thread to do, thank you. Is there any end goal your trying to prove or disprove? I would think maybe another control group to get two control groups. You don't have to run those rounds for round count, just a thought. In case the gun doesn't like one brand or another.

PB

Furbyballer
08-08-19, 05:33
Very cool thread to do, thank you. Is there any end goal your trying to prove or disprove? I would think maybe another control group to get two control groups. You don't have to run those rounds for round count, just a thought. In case the gun doesn't like one brand or another.

PB

These are all pieces and parts that I have been wanting to try for some time. SOLGWs offers the best warranty in the business so I want to see how long one of their barrels will last. As one of only a small percentage of civilian shooters that has burned a barrel or 2 I want to see if its worth the hype on the journey. Same goes for the holosun, ive been hearing decent things and reliability but I like to beat the shit out of my stuff so I want to see if it holds zero and handles several thousand rounds in a training season. As far as the control ammo goes, I haven't found a better factory loaded round for consistency than the fiocchi. Maybe blackhills, but the fiocchi is easier to get ahold of. Im not really that interested in tracking or pushing extreme accuracy out of this barrel, just tracking group size as a function of barrel wear, but I get your point. I zeroed it for the first time put the first 90 rounds through it yesterday with wolf gold.

Pappabear
08-08-19, 11:53
Sounds good. You will alway be able to test accuracy with various ammo with or without a control baseline. Because we know quality ammo doesn't shoot 3 moa out of most quality guns. Let the firefight begin.

PB

jerrysimons
08-27-19, 18:49
How does you Hodge upper fit on the mars-l lower? I had 2 mars-l stripped lowers and none of five Hodge uppers I tried with them fit well (and they are usually on the money).

hotrodder636
08-27-19, 19:02
Waiting for the Eagle Rare next to a MARS lower.

I’ll work on this tomorrow with part 3 haha. Probably brought to you by eagle rare.

Furbyballer
08-30-19, 09:19
The fit is really good between the lower and the upper. I don't have any more builds in the pipeline currently. Next potential project will probably be a 18in 6.5cm or 260 30 cal build.

opngrnd
09-17-19, 12:47
OP-how has this project been holding up?

Furbyballer
09-18-19, 16:25
its been really great. I have about 1k rounds on it so far and tbh, im really liking the holosun alot more than im willing to admit most of the time. the eotech reticle in a micro platform is awesome. The next project is a tucked dedicated suppressed 300 blackout build that is dedicated to shooting subs and will be sub 20" OAL with the suppressor attached.

everready73
10-07-19, 10:48
its been really great. I have about 1k rounds on it so far and tbh, im really liking the holosun alot more than im willing to admit most of the time. the eotech reticle in a micro platform is awesome. The next project is a tucked dedicated suppressed 300 blackout build that is dedicated to shooting subs and will be sub 20" OAL with the suppressor attached.

How are you liking the barrel on this one? Holosun still holding up ok?

Furbyballer
10-09-19, 14:43
gas port is just a little bigger than I would want personally since I shoot so much suppressed, but other than that its been doing everything I've asked it do so far. I am still surprised at how much I am enjoying the holosun and the eotech like reticle in a t2 body.

everready73
10-09-19, 19:31
@furbyballer

Appreciate the update. You may already know this but I asked Son's about the port size on the 11.5 and was told .071 which is would work in most conditions.

I know the Sionics ERGP is around .064 and is made for suppressed only. You could contact brt and get an insert for it to reduce the gas