PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDM 9mm models are shipping now

maximus83
11-13-08, 03:42
I saw at Springfield today that the 9mm XDM's are now shipping. I have no plans to buy one, as I've committed to the M&P platform for my plastic defense pistol. But I've owned the original XD models and liked them, and these XDM's do seem to even better made, offering improvements over the original XD such as better ergos, a match barrel, and other items. I guess the new one will offer 19+1 capacity, standard. They seem pretty large and bulky for carry, though. I have to think they will soon come out with compact models (Springfield won't say, but I bet they will).

http://www.the-m-factor.com/

decodeddiesel
11-13-08, 15:34
Meh...I would still take a G17 over one of these any day of the week.

HK45
11-14-08, 18:33
They don't really do anything for me either. Seems like they should but I have never cared for all the unnecessary (to me) bells and whistles on XD's. Especially the grip safety.

jaydoc1
11-14-08, 21:34
You know, I've had an XD 9SC for almost a year and just got a Glock 17 last month. The G17 is far easier to carry concealed as far as I'm concerned. The XD is just bulkier. It's a great shooter and I love it. But I carried it exactly one day and then went back to carrying a Commander-sized 1911. Far easier to conceal.

Now that I have the 17? Holy smokes is that thing light and comfortable to carry. True, it's not a .45 but if I carry an extra mag I've got 35 rounds ready to send in the bad guy's direction if need be. At some point one of those 9mm WILL penetrate bone. http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

decodeddiesel
11-14-08, 21:46
You know, I've had an XD 9SC for almost a year and just got a Glock 17 last month. The G17 is far easier to carry concealed as far as I'm concerned. The XD is just bulkier. It's a great shooter and I love it. But I carried it exactly one day and then went back to carrying a Commander-sized 1911. Far easier to conceal.

Now that I have the 17? Holy smokes is that thing light and comfortable to carry. True, it's not a .45 but if I carry an extra mag I've got 35 rounds ready to send in the bad guy's direction if need be. At some point one of those 9mm WILL penetrate bone. http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Check out the terminal ballistics forum. You may be surprised to find out the best .45 acp is not that much better than the best 9mm.

jaydoc1
11-15-08, 00:36
Check out the terminal ballistics forum. You may be surprised to find out the best .45 acp is not that much better than the best 9mm.

Yep, I've read multiple threads on this and forums.1911forum.com by people way more knowledgeable than I in terms of ballistics both with gelatin and cadavers. And while I think it has been shown that the best 9mm rounds do approach the gelatin ballistics of a .45, there is just too much real world data with human gunshot injuries showing that a 9mm just isn't as effective. It frequently fails to penetrate bone and has been shown repeatedly to require multiple hits on target, even center mass, to stop a determined assailant.

Now again, this isn't my data nor my personal knowledge, though I'm a doctor and have seen my share of gunshots through the ER (and none of the 9mm wounds have approached a .45 in terms of tissue damage). I would not presume to argue the ballistic merits of one versus the other beyond what I've just said. This is one of those arguments similar to liberal vs conservative. You'll probably never convince one to be the other. Me, I'm kind of moderate. I like both rounds and feel comfortable carrying either. My comment was only on the carry condition of the various pistols and my comfort level with them.

ToddG
11-15-08, 15:59
has been shown repeatedly to require multiple hits on target, even center mass, to stop a determined assailant.

Just for the record, the above statement applies to every common defensive/LE handgun caliber.